- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
The Most Romantic Hotels in The Lake District
It’s not hard to see why so many people find the Lake District a romantic destination. The scenery is Spectacular, and the chance to share windswept walks in the Fells, or around the lakes, with your partner, followed by a superb supper-with-a-view and maybe a soak in your private hot tub-with-a-view, is for many of us the epitome of romance. There are some wonderful hotels in this area, but it is a bit of a challenge to separate out properties which really deserve to be on a list of the most romantic hotels in the Lake District from those which are a bit old and over-chintzed.
But we think our Guru’s list of the most romantic hotels in the Lake District is a great place to start looking for inspiration for your escape for two. They’ve ‘worked’ hard to uncover gracious waterside grand dames on glorious grounds, remote and charming inns perfect for walkers and some exceptional Lake District boltholes. They’ve endured Michelin starred dining, several private hot tubs, an incredible whiskey bar and some of the world’s most picturesque views, so that you can too.
The Most Romantic Hotels in The Lake District
For a Special Occasion
- Linthwaite House Hotel is a beautiful Edwardian country house turned slick design-ish hotel with 30 comfortable rooms and an award-winning restaurant. Its location, on a hilltop overlooking Lake Windermere and the Fells is idyllic. Perfect for walkers and fisher-folk.
- The Lodore Falls Hotel is an impressive county house with a gorgeous mountain backdrop and 71 charming rooms and suites. The decor is traditional and there’s an award-winning restaurant, and it’s all set on 40 acres of picturesque Lake District countryside. Think long walks and open fires.
A room with a view
- Windermere’s The Samling Hotel is a charming, peaceful hotel set on a hill and offering spectacular views from all but one of its eleven rooms. Michelin starred chefs prepare the food and prepare it beautifully.
- New House Farm is a four hundred year old farmhouse in a remote part of the Lake District near Cockermouth. The panoramic views take in the Lakeland Fells and in the foreground are 15 acres of gardens. Inside there are just five rooms and some beautiful original features.
For a romantic escape
- Hillthwaite is a contemporary, 34 room hotel in a commanding, hilltop position with spectacular views of the Cumbrian countryside. You’re close to Windermere, but far enough away to feel like you’re escaping. There’s an indoor pool and spa if you need some pampering as well.
- The Howtown Hotel is a wonderfully old-fashioned, 13 room hotel much loved by walkers and people who want to escape the presence of TVs wifi and a phone signal. The lakeside setting is tranquil the views over Ullswater are incredible and the food is hearty. So hopefully you can really relax.
- Randy Pike is a three room boutique hotel not far from the shores of Lake Windermere, but far enough to feel very private. Once a hunting lodge, this property has plenty of charm and character, plus superb views.
Romantic Hotels with Hot Tubs
- The Gilpin Hotel & Lake House has private, cedar wood hot tubs in six of the suites, plus their own private gardens. The rest of the 25 odd rooms also share the luxurious spa and pool. The sprawling, 40 acre gardens are stunning and have their own private lake, with a lake house where you can find some of the suites.
- The Holbeck Ghyll Hotel is a 23 room former hunting lodge with classically styled rooms and spectacular views over Lake Windermere. Two of its suites, the Miss Potter and the Ghyll Side Cottage, have private hot tubs. And there’s a very nice spa and a Michelin starred restaurant. So prepare for a treat!
- Applegarth Villa is an adults-only boutique bolthole in Windermere with 22 designer bedrooms. Each of the seven suites has its own outdoor hot tub, plus sumptuous details. There’s a relaxed restaurant, plus a cocktail bar with a huge collection of whiskeys.
- The Grange Hotel in Grange-over-Sands is a wonderfully genteel Victorian hotel with 50 rather ornate rooms, beautifully manicured gardens and a jacuzzi, extensive spa and indoor pool. There’s also a fabulous restaurant.
If those properties appeal to you why not check out our Guru’s full collection of Hotels with Hot Tubs in the Lake District.
Affordable Romantic Hotels
- The Punch Bowl Inn in the Lyth Valley is a quaint, 18th century inn in a pretty village. Each of the nine rooms has sweeping valley views and there’s an innovative chef running the restaurant. This is a wonderful spot for walkers, with the added pleasure of being able to come back to his and hers bathtubs and a candlelit supper.
If you haven’t found your idea of the most romantic hotels in the Lake District on our Guru’s list you could:
- Consult our Ultimate Guide to the Most Romantic Hotels in the UK,
- browse through our list of all the best hotels in the Lake District,
- or our Guru’s collection of Hotels with Hot Tubs in the Lake District,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The Most Romantic Hotels in The Lake District
Linthwaite House Hotel 30 rooms from £196Windermere, Cumbria
Slick, stylish designs meet an intimate Edwardian country house offering all round comfort. Award winning dishes and fine wines at the restaurant. From its hilltop location over Lake Windermere and the Fells - explore The Lake District on foot, bike or horseback. Serenity at its finest!Total relaxation - Pamper yourself with in-room beauty treatments and massages, refreshing walks and spoiling four course meals.Romantic Break - Take the stunning views, plush suites, two man tubs and candlelit dinners and you are guaranteed romance.Fishing - Try your hand at Fly fishing on the hotel's lake, a wonderfully peacefull way to spend an afternoon.Great walks - The hotel provides route-finding sheets of all the spectcular local walks, plus a guide if needed.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Good Hotel Guide, Johansens, Kiwi Collection, Sawdays
The Samling Hotel 11 rooms from £220Ambleside
A small luxury hotel boasting both chic interiors and fabulous views of Lake Windermere. Individually styled rooms are light and airy with bold colours, antiques and softly patterned fabrics. Offering exemplary cuisine and a choice selection of wines, this is a rural escape designed for indulging.Country Escape - A smart base offering access to arguably some of the UK's finest countryside.Active HolidayFoodiesSailing - Cruise across Lake Windermere and enjoy spectacular views.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Lodore Falls Hotel 71 rooms from £193Cumbria
An impressive country house boasting a gorgeous mountain backdrop. Charming rooms are traditional in style with warm hues and soft patterns. An award winning restaurant serves regional cuisine. Set within 40 acres of picturesque countryside it's the perfect spot for a rural escape.Country Escape - A country house set in an outstanding location. Take long walks, have a drink by the open fire and feast on regional cuisine.Great walks - The Lake District boasts stunning walking routes.Remote - Off the beaten track.Full of character
New House Farm 5 rooms from £180Cockermouth, Cumbria
400 year old farmhouse in remote part of Lake District. Stunning panoramic views of the Lakeland Fells, with 15 acre gardens to wander in. Traditional interiors, oak beams, open fire places - deep reds and dark wood furnishings. The beautiful Lorton valley makes it a popular wedding destination.Great walks - Fantastic rural walking routesTraditional - Historic farmhouseRemote - Off the beaten track.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Howtown Hotel 13 rooms from £166nr Penrith, Cumbria
Wonderful old-fashioned, down-to-earth hotel in the Lake District. Popular with walkers and those seeking the peace and quiet provided by absense of TVs, wifi and phones. Good value with great views and hearty meals. Tranquil lakeside setting.Sights nearby - Visit the historic Dalemain House, with tudor and medieval rooms, behind a Georgian façade.Great walks - Fabulous base for walks around the Lake District.Views - Beautiful views over UllswaterTraditional - Old fashioned, no frillsRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Hillthwaite 34 rooms from £145Windermere (Windermere)
A contemporary rural property sat perched a-top a hill with far reaching views across the Cumbrian countryside. Smart rooms mix traditional patterns and colouring with contemporary style. An indoor pool and spa provide some serious pampering. A charming spot for a rural escape.Country Escape - Located in the stunning Lake District close to Lake Windermere. Ideal for spending days in the great outdoors.Great walks - Make the most of the miles of hiking trails through some of the UKs finest countryside.Sights nearby - Visit Blackwell house and admire the Arts and Crafts architecture.Sailing - Take a romantic cruise on Lake Windermere.
Holbeck Ghyll Hotel 23 rooms from £260Ambleside (Cumbria)
Luxurious former Hunting Lodge overlooking Lake Windermere makes for an intimate hideaway. Classically styled rooms offer comfort and views. Michelin starred food and an extensive wine list welcome you at the dining room. Whether enjoying the spa or exploring the grounds - relaxing is on the cards!Total relaxation - Unwind in Victorian English style with pampering suites overlooking Lake Windermere, spa services and impeccable service.Active Holiday - Walkers and ramblers bring your wellies and explore this stunning part of the country.Great walks - Ask at the front desk for an outline of the wonderful walks around the lake and beyond.Private Hot Tub - Miss Potter Suite and Ghyll Side cottage both feature a private hot tub.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Johansens, Sawdays, Small Luxury Hotels
Randy Pike 3 rooms from £200Cumbria
Randy Pike is a superb boutique hotel not far from the shores of Lake Windermere, a wash with charm and character. A former hunting lodge, the aesthetic is stylish and urbane with modern design features and carefully selected furnishings. Perfect for a relaxing romantic break in the countryside.Romantic Break - A romantic and intimate setting with deluxe suites, home-made cookies, roll top baths and superb views of the woods.Country Escape - This quaint and cosy hotel makes for the perfect country escape to the Lake District.Great walks - Make the most of the beautiful walking in the surrounding Cumbrian countryside.Sights nearby - Visit the home of Windermere's most famous resident, Beatrix Potter.
Applegarth Villa 22 rooms from £140Windermere (Cumbria)
Adults-only, boutique bolthole with high-quality, designer bedrooms, including sumptuous suites with private hot-tubs. Family-run with a relaxed atmosphere and bistro-style restaurant and bar with an expansive collection of whiskeys. A real, spoiling treat in a great location.Romantic Break - Adults only hotel with a cocktail bar, huge rooms and private hot tubsSights nearby - Beatrix Potter and Wordsworth's houses are a short drive awayPrivate Hot Tub - All the seven suites have their own private outdoor hot tub.Sailing - A sailing trip along the iconic Lake Windemere
Grange Hotel 50 rooms from £160Grange over Sands
One of a kind and full of character: old fashioned, genteel Victorian hotel. Ornate rooms with heavily draped beds and antique style furniture. Beautifully manicured gardens. Blissful indoor pool, jacuzzi and extensive spa. Fabulous restaurant. Wonderfully romantic.Local exploring - Set on four acres of landscaped parklands boardering the Lake District, yet within the town and convenient for exploring.Great walks - Endless walks in the fells, tarns and lakes of the National Park, plus the hotel will pack you a lunch.Sights nearby - Entertain children at the Beatrix Potter Experience, a wonderful family outing.Swimming Pool - Indoor Spa Swimming Pool
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House 31 rooms from £215Windermere, Cumbria
Immaculate, country house hotel, with luxurious bedrooms and private suites, plus a Michelin starred restaurant. A separate Lake House with suites, pool, spa and rooms with private Hot Tubs. Set in 40 acres of stunning surroundings with a picturesque lake and lots of activities to offer nearby.Foodies - Chef Hrishikesh Desai knocks it out of the park everytime, he crafts exciting menus using locally sourced wonderful ingrediants.Romantic Break - Six of the incredible suites come with their own private gardens and cedarwood hot tubs, ideal for a romantic getaway!Country Escape - 20-acre gardens filled with magnolia, cherry blossoms and copper beech, not to mention the stunnig private lake.Fishing - Fishing can be organised on site, either on the private lake or a day trip to somewhere nearby.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Johansens, Relais & Chateaux, Sawdays, Michelin Travel
Punch Bowl Inn, Cumbria 9 rooms from £105Crosthwaite (Cumbria)
Quaint 18th Century Inn, ideally situated in a Lake District village with sweeping valley views. Plush boutique styling throughout, rooms exude comfort and indulge in modern bathrooms. Popular lunch food for locals and great dinner menu. Good base for local exploring but a car is needed.Romantic Break - Ideal for a romantic weekend away, with his and hers tubs, candlelite dinners and sweeping views of the countryside.Active Holiday - Some of the best walking in the British Isles is right on your doorstep, be sure to bring your hiking boots!Foodies - Chef Scott Fairweather never fails to impress, with local ingrediants and inventive combinations.Great walks - With something for every level of comitment, from full day hikes to an afternoon stroll.Recommended by - Sawdays