- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Wiltshire’s Most Romantic Hotels
Much visited for its ancient barrows and mysterious stone circles, including Stonehenge, and Avebury, Wiltshire is green and verdant and littered with pretty villages which are almost impossibly charming and English. There’s quite a lot of romance to Salisbury, and Chippenham, which is also in the Cotswolds, is extremely pretty. Making this a county ripe for a mini-break for two. All you need to add is an overnight stay in one of Wiltshire’s Most Romantic Hotels.
Our Guru’s collection of Wiltshire’s most romantic hotels separates the chaff - which Wiltshire, unfortunately, has quite a bit of, and highlights a large handful of properties where investment of time and money has paid off and you can expect beautiful surrounds and excellent service. We’ve collected Wiltshire’s most romantic country house hotels, Wiltshire’s most romantic spa hotels, some great escapes and some very affordable options.
Wiltshire’s Most Romantic Hotels
Country House Hotels
- Jacobean Manor turned luxurious family retreat, Woolley Grange has 26 comfortable, modern rooms, a relaxed restaurant and stunning gardens with beautiful pools. They also have a kid’s club and a games room and run an Ofsted-registered playroom, and offer babysitting. And of course the spa is divine.
- The Manor House is an elegant country house turned 48 room hotel with a Michelin-starred restaurant and a superb golf course. The decor is traditional county house hotel and the rooms are luxurious. The gardens are grand - and there’s 365 acres worth of land to explore, including the golf course, croquet lawns, tennis courts and a fly-fishing stream.
- The Lamb at Hindon is an intimate village inn which has amassed 800 years worth of charm and history. There are 19 elegant rooms, hearty meals, roaring fires and the beautiful surrounds of the Salisbury Plains.
- Surrounded by Capability Brown’s extensive gardens and parklands of the Longleat Estate, The Bath Arms is a stylish pub-with-15-rooms. The food is pub-grub, but of the highest calibre and you’re in a great spot between Bath and Stonehenge.
- Wiltshire seems to have a wealth of lovely pubs-with-rooms and inns, and the 15th century Sign of the Angel in charming Lacock is another great example. There are five rooms - all with wonky beams, huge fires, oak furniture and antique beds, and there are flagstones on the floor and a restaurant specialising in locally sourced cuisine.
- The Castle Inn is even older - this time dating from the 12th century! Situated in Castle Combe, a beautiful Cotswolds village on the Bybrook River just ten miles from Bath. Idyllic and peaceful and great for fisher-folk.
Wiltshire’s Most Romantic Spa Hotels
- If you’re looking for a luxurious country house escape, Whately Manor will not disappoint. The spa is award-winning, the restaurant has a Michelin-star and there’s every mod. con. available, dressed up beautifully. No children under 12.
- Lucknam Park, just six miles from Bath, is a luxurious country home with painstakingly kept gardens and parkland, a Michelin starred restaurant, a beautiful spa with both an indoor and outdoor pool and an impressive equestrian centre. There are 42 rooms with high ceilings, chandeliers and four-poster beds.
If you like the sound of these properties consider our Guru’s recommendations for hotels with hot tubs in Wiltshire.
Romantic Hotels for Under £100
- Intimate and peaceful, The Limes is a charming 17th country house converted into a cosy, three room B&B. The locally sourced breakfast is served in the dining room or the beautiful garden - depending on the weather - and you’re close to Westbury for the white horse, and to Bath.
- The Rectory Hotel in Malmsbury is also an historic house, this one is Listed, which has been sympathetically renovated into a 12 room bolthole. The rooms are light and elegant, with a blend of antique and contemporary details, and there’s an excellent restaurant and a large pool.
If you haven’t found your idea of the most romantic hotels in London on our Guru’s list you could:
- Consult our Ultimate Guide to the Most Romantic Hotels in the UK,
- browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Wiltshire,
- or our Guru’s collection of Hotels with Hot Tubs in Wiltshire,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Wiltshire’s Most Romantic Hotels
Howard's House 9 rooms from £190Salisbury, Wiltshire
A beautiful stone property in a quaint village. Beautifully renovated with white washed light rooms, some with four poster beds. A separate coach house for private events. Excellent British cuisine made from local produce. The ideal country retreat.Country Escape - A quaint village property with plenty of countryside pursuits such as fishing, shooting, walking and riding closeby.Fishing - The Nadder river is renowned for dry fly fishing, plus the hotel will even 'cook your catch'!Great walks - Walk in the stunning Stourhead gardens and parkland, plus the hotel will pack you a lunch.Sights nearby - Stone Henge is nearby and a must for anyone passing through this area.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
The Bath Arms 15 rooms from £115Warminster, Wiltshire
Nestled on the Longleat Estate, this stylishly decorated pub reflects the boho-chic of Lord Bath. Modern and comfortable rooms above the quintessentially English pub serving traditional food. Located between Bath and Stonehenge, this pub is a great base for local exploring and family mini breaks.Families - Very child friendly, with extra beds, cots, highchairs and babysitting all readily available- plus Longleat next door!Sights nearby - On the Longleat Estate, with safari, extenisve landscaped gardens and spectacular Elizabethan House.Local markets - Frome farmers' market, on the second Saturday of the month, is one of the West Country's best.Great walks - Wander along Capability Brown's Pleasure Walk through woodland gardens to Longleat House.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Sawdays
The Manor House, Wiltshire 48 rooms from £270Nr Bath, Wiltshire
English country house turned hotel, resting on extensive grounds with a superb golf course, Michelin Star restaurant and the Full Glass Bar. Comfort, classic-design and charm make up the luxurious rooms. Relax in the garden, explore local Bath or delve into Cotswold countryside for adventures.Active Holiday - With 365 acres of secluded parkland to explore, as well as fly-fishing, tennis, croquet and an 18 hole golf course.Foodies - Savour the delights of the Michelin starred Bybrook Restaurant- inventive, seasonal and utterly inspired!Fishing - Fly-fishing on the picturesque river meandering through the grounds is a must.Sights nearby - The Cotswolds and Bath are both stunning historical sites worth visiting.Recommended by - Frommers, Small Luxury Hotels
Sign of the Angel 5 rooms from £120Lacock, Wiltshire
A wonderfully warm and homely 15th century inn in the exceptionally beautiful Lacock village. Newly renovated and bursting with character- think wonky beams, huge fires, antique beds, artful oak furniture and flagstoned passageways. The restaurant serves wonderful locally sourced cuisine. Heaven.Country Escape - Set in the National Trust village of Lacock and on the edge of the Cotswolds, this homely retreat is the perfect escape.Great walks - Bring a packed lunch from the the hotel and exlore the picteresque Cotswolds with walks starting straight from the hotel door.Sights nearby - Visit the impressive Lacock Abbey, taking in the impressive building and extensive botanical gardens.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Frommers, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
The Lamb at Hindon 19 rooms from £119Salisbury, Wiltshire
Intimate English village Inn full of charm and history - an institution for 800 years. Renovated, elegant rooms are cosy and plush. Guests are welcomed by roaring fires, hearty meals, and beautiful surroundings. A country escape or a stopover en route further West.Romantic Break - Recently refurbished rooms are elegantly decorated with crisp linens and antique pieces, plus there's cosy dining in the bar.Country Escape - A picture perfect English country Inn, complete with inglenook fireplaces, flag-stone floors and heavy wooden beams.Great walks - The hotel has compiled a range of walks starting from the doorstep.Sights nearby - Stonehenge is a short drive away and well worth checking out.Recommended by - Sawdays
Castle Inn 11 rooms from £135Chippenham, Wiltshire
12th Century Inn in an untouched Cotswold village resting on Bybrook River just 10 miles from Bath. Contemporary meets classic design in the comfortable rooms. Excellent food and service in the locally renowned restaurant. A step back into the past with idyllic English country life, a beautiful stayLocal exploring - Explore the rows of Cotswold stone houses, medieval church and 14th-century Market Cross in this charming town.Back to Nature - From this quaint, historical town you can explore Wiltshire countryside at your leisure.Sights nearby - The village of Castle Combe has hardly changed since the 15th Century and is a popular setting for Hollywood blockbusters.Fishing - Don't forget to bring your rods and flies, there is wonderful fishing on the Bybrook river.Recommended by - Johansens
Lucknam Park 42 rooms from £290Chippenham, Wiltshire
A luxury country home full of character. High ceilinged rooms are adorned with chandeliers and four poster beds. The surrounding parkland and gardens are painstakingly up kept. A spa, indoor pool and outdoor plunge pool aid relaxation. The fine dining restaurant is headed by a michelin Star chef.Active Holiday - Plenty of countryside persuits for the sporty types with clay pigeon shooting, riding, tennis, archery, and falconry.Foodies - Executive Chef Hywel Jones runs the Michelin starred The Park, as well as the award winning cookery school.Cooking classes - Learn to whip up your favourite dishes from The Parks' menu at the in house cookery school, a lovely way to pass a rainy day!Sights nearby - Bath is only six miles away- if you can tear yourself away from the endless entertainment at Lucknam Park.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Johansens, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
Whatley Manor 23 rooms from £325Malmesbury, Wiltshire
Set in deep Cotswold countryside, this Relais and Châteaux hotel is definitely suited to both a young clientele and the wealthy retired. Perfect romantic getaway. Dog but not family-friendly. Two hours from London. Ideal for gourmets and those with green fingers.Restrictions on childrenTraditional5* Luxury - Very high service standards.SpaRecommended by - Johansens, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux, Michelin Travel
Woolley Grange 26 rooms from £160Bradford on Avon
Jacobean Manor turned luxury family retreat in stunning gardens with pools. Comfortable, modern rooms are a great welcome after a day of activities. The restaurant caters to all dietary needs and occasions. Children clubs, games rooms, gardens and more gives parents a chance to relax at the spa.Families - Ideal for families with babysitting, kids hang out zones, an Ofsted-registered playroom and plenty of activites on the grounds.Hideaway - With the spa, pool table, table football, extensive grounds, yummy food and homely rooms, you'll find it impossible to leave.Swimming Pool - Indoor and Outdoor PoolFull of characterRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
The Limes 3 rooms from £89Melksham, Wiltshire
A 1620s country house turned into an intimate, charming and immaculately kept three-bedroom B&B. Comfortable, cosy rooms. Locally sourced and delicious breakfast served in the dining room or garden. Pop to nearby Bath, enjoy the fresh country air or relax by the crackling fire with your book.Local exploring - The friendly staff will guide you to the best local market towns and countryside ramblings.Sights nearby - Only nine miles away from the famous "White Horse" at Westbury.Great walks - Enjoy the Wiltshire and Dorset countryside.Full of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
The Rectory Hotel 12 rooms from £105Malmesbury, Wiltshire
Stylish, informal listed period house, renovated by ambitious owners into a mellow bolthole. Each of the 12 rooms is spacious, light & elegant – a blend of antique and contemporary. A relaxed retreat & a perfect base for exploring the Cotswolds with an excellent restaurant and large pool.Foodies - The restaurant supports the Slow Food Movement, so all produce is locally and responsibly sourced- you can taste the difference!Total relaxation - Curl up on the soafas with the papers, or move it to the bedroom for a movie fest and a massage!Great walks - The wellies lining the hall are testiment to the fantastic walks around here, ask your hosts for their favourite.Sights nearby - Situated in the lovely Cotswold triangle of Tetbury, Malmesbury and Cirencester. A great base for exploringRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Good Hotel Guide