- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Wiltshire
Wiltshire is characterised by both its sweeping downlands and ancient landmarks, the most famous of all being the indelible Stonehenge. The architecture is unique and often grand. Dotted with stately homes, quaint villages with red brick houses and impressive Cathedrals (namely Salisbury) there's plenty to explore in this picturesque county. The best places to stay in Wiltshire are often tucked away in small villages and are ideal for rural weekend breaks.
Due to its proximity to London the best places to stay in Wiltshire often get booked up fast (especially on the weekends), so be sure to plan your trip in advance.
The best places to stay in Wiltshire
For country houses
- Jacobean Manor turned luxury family retreat in stunning gardens with pools. Woolley Grange offers comfortable, modern rooms.
- Set in deep Cotswold countryside, this Relais and Châteaux hotel, Whatley Manor, is definitely suited to both a young clientele and the wealthy retired. Perfect romantic getaway.
For country pubs
Wiltshire abounds with country pubs and some have rooms too. For the best of the traditional places to stay in Wiltshire try -
- The Beckford Arms in Fonthill Gifford is a sophisticated option, with stylish interiors and great food
- The Bath Arms on the Longleat Estate sports quirky designed rooms plus a warm welcome and good food too.
- The King John Inn is a sophisticated country pub with exceptional meat, fish and game and stylish design.
- The Lamb at Hindon is an intimate English village inn full of charm and history - an institution for 800 years! Elegant rooms are cosy and plush. Guests are welcomed into roaring fires, hearty meals, and beautiful surroundings.
- The Castle Inn Hotel dates back to the 12th century. This historic inn has seen the likes of Oliver Cromwell pass through its heavy wooden doors. Rooms are decorated in rich colours and heavy fabrics and include original exposed beams and some, with four-poster beds.
- The Red Lion Freehouse is a Michelin starred pub with rooms overlooking the River Avon. Food is exceptional with all ingredients either as local as possible or the best possible quality.
- An English country house turned hotel, resting on extensive grounds with a superb golf course, Michelin Star restaurant and the Full Glass Bar. Find comfort, classic-design and charm throughout at The Manor House.
- Lucknam Park is a luxury country home full of character. High ceilinged rooms are adorned with chandeliers and four poster beds. The surrounding parkland and gardens are painstakingly maintained. A spa, indoor pool and outdoor plunge pool aid relaxation. The fine dining restaurant is headed by a Michelin Starred chef.
For a B&B
The Limes is a 1620s country house turned into an intimate, charming and immaculately kept three-bedroom B&B with comfortable, cosy rooms. Locally sourced and delicious breakfast is served in the dining room or garden.
- Fosse Farmhouse is a quaint abode surrounded by farmland comprising B&B and self catering accommodation. Traditional style bedrooms with classic bathrooms overlook green fields.
For traditional charm
- The George and Dragon has three comfortable bedrooms over a good country restaurant specialising in seafood. This 16th century Coaching Inn is a good budget option in a fine part of the country.
- This 14th century Compass Inn has everything one would expect from a country stay. Exposed timber, thatched roof, an open fire and flagstone floors.
- Sign on the Angel is a wonderfully warm and homely 15th century inn in the exceptionally beautiful Lacock village. Newly renovated and bursting with character- think wonky beams, huge fires, antique beds, artful oak furniture and flagstoned passageways.
- Castle Inn dates back to the 12th Century in an untouched Cotswold village resting on Bybrook River just 10 miles from Bath. Contemporary meets classic design in the comfortable rooms. Excellent food and service in the locally renowned restaurant.
- The Methuen Arms is set in the charming market town of Corsham, this rustic inn offers guests stylish, country chic rooms with roll top baths and exposed wooden beams. Relax next to an open fire or enjoy the cosy bar area. Delicious, seasonal, locally sourced food.
For rural chic
- The Rectory Hotel is a stylish, informal listed period house, renovated by ambitious owners into a mellow bolthole. Each of the 12 rooms is spacious, light & elegant – a blend of antique and contemporary.
- Howard's House is a beautiful stone property in a quaint village. Beautifully renovated with white washed light rooms, some with four poster beds. A separate coach house for private events. Excellent British cuisine made from local produce.
For an apartment or cottage
- If you're travelling with family or a group of friends it may be a better option to book a villa or apartment. For a wide range of properties for all tastes and budgets we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to the London airports (Heathrow or Gatwick) both of which are under two hour's drive from most Wiltshire destinations. The county's is also well connected to London by train with numerous direct services running each day.
- Britain's weather is woefully unpredictable however each season offers its own charm. For the best chance of getting warm bright days travel in the summer months (June - August).
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Holiday Autos.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Wiltshire
The Beckford Arms 8 rooms from $124Salisbury, Wiltshire
Great new look for a favourite old inn – immaculate attention to detail will satisfy the most demanding townie. Excellent food, chic bedrooms & relaxed ambience all amid the lovely South Wiltshire countryside.Restaurant - Recommended.Fishing - Fly fishing on the Fonthill estateGreat walks - On the Fonthill EstateLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Beechfield House 24 rooms from $147Wiltshire
Late Victorian property turned charming country house hotel with eight acres of gardens. Smartly furnished rooms are individually designed and offer the perfect blend of period style and contemporary chic. Luxury touches include Egyptian cotton bed linen and towels. A splendid country getaway!Sights nearby - Stonehenge is just 20 miles away or head into Bath and visit the Pulteney Bridge as well as The Roman BathsGreat walks - Set off on long invigorating walks around the gorgeous countrysideSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRomantic - Good for couples.
Red Lion Freehouse 5 rooms from $156Pewsey, Wiltshire
Michelin starred pub with rooms overlooking the River Avon. Food is exceptional with all ingredients either as local as possible or the best possible quality. Rooms pay great attention to detail and all have a lovely deck with river and countryside views.Views - Either of the beautiful Wiltshire countryside or the River AvonSights nearby - Just 9 miles from StonehengeFull of characterGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Sawdays
The Three Daggers 3 rooms from $130Westbury, Wiltshire
Charmingly situated in rural Wiltshire, The Three Daggers is delightful countryside inn. Featuring a cosy pub, lovely rooms and superb food, it's the perfect place for a relaxing break in the countryside.Sights nearby - Thirty minutes from Bath, spend a day exploring the town's rich charm and heritage.Great walks - Beautiful walks along the nearby Avon canal.SpaRomantic - Good for couples.
Howard's House 9 rooms from $247Salisbury, Wiltshire
A beautiful stone property in a quaint village. Beautifully renovated with white washed light rooms, some with four poster beds. A separate coach house for private events. Excellent British cuisine made from local produce. The ideal country retreat.Country Escape - A quaint village property with plenty of countryside pursuits such as fishing, shooting, walking and riding closeby.Fishing - The Nadder river is renowned for dry fly fishing, plus the hotel will even 'cook your catch'!Great walks - Walk in the stunning Stourhead gardens and parkland, plus the hotel will pack you a lunch.Sights nearby - Stone Henge is nearby and a must for anyone passing through this area.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Lucknam Park 42 rooms from $378Chippenham, Wiltshire
A luxury country home full of character. High ceilinged rooms are adorned with chandeliers and four poster beds. The surrounding parkland and gardens are painstakingly up kept. A spa, indoor pool and outdoor plunge pool aid relaxation. The fine dining restaurant is headed by a michelin Star chef.Active Holiday - Plenty of countryside persuits for the sporty types with clay pigeon shooting, riding, tennis, archery, and falconry.Foodies - Executive Chef Hywel Jones runs the Michelin starred The Park, as well as the award winning cookery school.Cooking classes - Learn to whip up your favourite dishes from The Parks' menu at the in house cookery school, a lovely way to pass a rainy day!Sights nearby - Bath is only six miles away- if you can tear yourself away from the endless entertainment at Lucknam Park.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Johansens, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
Sign of the Angel 5 rooms from $156Lacock, Wiltshire
A wonderfully warm and homely 15th century inn in the exceptionally beautiful Lacock village. Newly renovated and bursting with character- think wonky beams, huge fires, antique beds, artful oak furniture and flagstoned passageways. The restaurant serves wonderful locally sourced cuisine. Heaven.Country Escape - Set in the National Trust village of Lacock and on the edge of the Cotswolds, this homely retreat is the perfect escape.Great walks - Bring a packed lunch from the the hotel and exlore the picteresque Cotswolds with walks starting straight from the hotel door.Sights nearby - Visit the impressive Lacock Abbey, taking in the impressive building and extensive botanical gardens.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Frommers, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
The Manor House, Wiltshire 48 rooms from $352Nr Bath, Wiltshire
English country house turned hotel, resting on extensive grounds with a superb golf course, Michelin Star restaurant and the Full Glass Bar. Comfort, classic-design and charm make up the luxurious rooms. Relax in the garden, explore local Bath or delve into Cotswold countryside for adventures.Active Holiday - With 365 acres of secluded parkland to explore, as well as fly-fishing, tennis, croquet and an 18 hole golf course.Foodies - Savour the delights of the Michelin starred Bybrook Restaurant- inventive, seasonal and utterly inspired!Fishing - Fly-fishing on the picturesque river meandering through the grounds is a must.Sights nearby - The Cotswolds and Bath are both stunning historical sites worth visiting.Recommended by - Frommers, Small Luxury Hotels
The Bath Arms 15 rooms from $150Warminster, Wiltshire
Nestled on the Longleat Estate, this stylishly decorated pub reflects the boho-chic of Lord Bath. Modern and comfortable rooms above the quintessentially English pub serving traditional food. Located between Bath and Stonehenge, this pub is a great base for local exploring and family mini breaks.Families - Very child friendly, with extra beds, cots, highchairs and babysitting all readily available- plus Longleat next door!Sights nearby - On the Longleat Estate, with safari, extenisve landscaped gardens and spectacular Elizabethan House.Local markets - Frome farmers' market, on the second Saturday of the month, is one of the West Country's best.Great walks - Wander along Capability Brown's Pleasure Walk through woodland gardens to Longleat House.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Sawdays
Castle Inn 11 rooms from $176Chippenham, Wiltshire
12th Century Inn in an untouched Cotswold village resting on Bybrook River just 10 miles from Bath. Contemporary meets classic design in the comfortable rooms. Excellent food and service in the locally renowned restaurant. A step back into the past with idyllic English country life, a beautiful stayLocal exploring - Explore the rows of Cotswold stone houses, medieval church and 14th-century Market Cross in this charming town.Back to Nature - From this quaint, historical town you can explore Wiltshire countryside at your leisure.Sights nearby - The village of Castle Combe has hardly changed since the 15th Century and is a popular setting for Hollywood blockbusters.Fishing - Don't forget to bring your rods and flies, there is wonderful fishing on the Bybrook river.Recommended by - Johansens
Woolley Grange 26 rooms from $208Bradford on Avon
Jacobean Manor turned luxury family retreat in stunning gardens with pools. Comfortable, modern rooms are a great welcome after a day of activities. The restaurant caters to all dietary needs and occasions. Children clubs, games rooms, gardens and more gives parents a chance to relax at the spa.Families - Ideal for families with babysitting, kids hang out zones, an Ofsted-registered playroom and plenty of activites on the grounds.Hideaway - With the spa, pool table, table football, extensive grounds, yummy food and homely rooms, you'll find it impossible to leave.Swimming Pool - Indoor and Outdoor PoolFull of characterRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
The Limes 3 rooms from $116Melksham, Wiltshire
A 1620s country house turned into an intimate, charming and immaculately kept three-bedroom B&B. Comfortable, cosy rooms. Locally sourced and delicious breakfast served in the dining room or garden. Pop to nearby Bath, enjoy the fresh country air or relax by the crackling fire with your book.Local exploring - The friendly staff will guide you to the best local market towns and countryside ramblings.Sights nearby - Only nine miles away from the famous "White Horse" at Westbury.Great walks - Enjoy the Wiltshire and Dorset countryside.Full of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
Fosse Farmhouse 6 rooms from $124Chippenham
A quaint abode surrounded by farmland, comprised of B&B and self catering accommodation. Traditional style bedrooms with classic, carpeted bathrooms overlook green fields. A delicious English breakfast is included and guests can look forward to some of owner Caron's home-baked cakes.Country Escape - Surrounded by some of England's most beautiful countryside this is a quintessential country stayGreat walks - Castle Combe, 'England's prettiest village' is but a beautiful 30 minute walk awaySights nearby - Bowood House is just a 15 minute drive awayQuirky - An experience!
The Lamb at Hindon 19 rooms from $155Salisbury, Wiltshire
Intimate English village Inn full of charm and history - an institution for 800 years. Renovated, elegant rooms are cosy and plush. Guests are welcomed by roaring fires, hearty meals, and beautiful surroundings. A country escape or a stopover en route further West.Romantic Break - Recently refurbished rooms are elegantly decorated with crisp linens and antique pieces, plus there's cosy dining in the bar.Country Escape - A picture perfect English country Inn, complete with inglenook fireplaces, flag-stone floors and heavy wooden beams.Great walks - The hotel has compiled a range of walks starting from the doorstep.Sights nearby - Stonehenge is a short drive away and well worth checking out.Recommended by - Sawdays
Timbrell's Yard 17 rooms from $94Bradford on Avon (Bradford-on-Avon)
Timbrell's Yard is located on the banks of the river in Bradford-upon-Avon. Set in a Grade II listed building, this recently refurbished property offers smart boutique accommodation with plenty of muted tones and wooden features. Enjoy hearty pub meals at the restaurant! A lovely spot for couples.Local exploring - Head into Bath, 15 minutes away from Timbrell's Yard, and wander around the historic city seeing all the sightsValue chic - A lovely stay at great value-what more could you ask for?Sights nearby - Pop over and see the historic Farleigh Hungerford CastleGreat walks - Wander through the gorgeous Prior Park Landscape GardensRecommended by - I Escape, Mr & Mrs Smith
Lorne House 7 rooms from $143Corsham, Wiltshire
Lorne House is a Victorian villa turned B&B in the charming village of Box. The family friendly property offers smart accommodation featuring warm, muted tones and luxurious en suites with wet rooms and rain showers! A great base from which to explore beautiful Wiltshire and Bath.Local exploring - There are a number of National Trust sites within a short distance of the property and Bath is easily accessibleGreat walks - Head off on long walks around the surrounding countryside and feel utterly rejuvenatedSights nearby - Go explore historic Bath or pop along to the beautiful Avebury Manor
King John Inn 8 rooms from $117Tollard Royal, Wiltshire
The King John Inn is a sophisticated country pub with exceptional meat, fish and game and stylish design. Behind its ivy covered exterior you will find stylish and urbane interiors. Idyllic English village with rambling country walks on your doorstep. A charming abode.Great walks - Rushmore Park is just five minutes away whilst Cranbourne Chase and West Wiltshire Downs are near.Sights nearby - Salisbury Cathedral, an easy drive away, is a must visit.Restrictions on children - Children older than 8 years are welcome.TraditionalRecommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Whatley Manor 23 rooms from $423Malmesbury, Wiltshire
Set in deep Cotswold countryside, this Relais and Châteaux hotel is definitely suited to both a young clientele and the wealthy retired. Perfect romantic getaway. Dog but not family-friendly. Two hours from London. Ideal for gourmets and those with green fingers.Restrictions on childrenTraditional5* Luxury - Very high service standards.SpaRecommended by - Johansens, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux, Michelin Travel
The Methuen Arms 12 rooms from $182Corsham, Wiltshire
Set in the charming market town of Corsham, this rustic inn offers guests stylish, country chic rooms with roll top baths and exposed wooden beams. Relax next to an open fire or enjoy the cosy bar area. Delicious, seasonal, locally sourced food. Smart weekend bolthole.Local exploring - Bristol, Bath and Stonehenge are all within exploring distance.Great walks - Ideal for long country walksFishing - Chippenham Angling ClubFull of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
The Castle Inn Hotel 11 rooms from $155Chippenham
Dating back to the 12th century this historic inn has seen the likes of Oliver Cromwell pass through its heavy wooden doors. Rooms are decorated in rich colours and heavy fabrics and include original exposed beams and some, four-poster beds. A hearty breakfast is included in the rate. A great stay.Country Escape - Located in the heart of Castle Combe: "England's prettiest village"Great walks - Good for walkers.TraditionalFull of character
Compasses Inn 4 rooms from $111Tisbury, Wiltshire
This 14th century inn has everything one would expect from a country stay. Exposed timber frames, thatched roof, an open fire and flagstone tiles. Rooms are in a more modern part of the property and are decorated in a traditional country style. Food is locally sourced or from the kitchen garden.Great walks - The 'Tisbury' walk can be accessed almost directly from the property.Sights nearby - The ancient site of Stonehenge is within a short drive.Full of characterSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Duchy Rag House 3 rooms from $104Swindon, Wiltshire
Smart, modern B&B in rural Wiltshire just few miles from Cirencester. Duchy Rag House is a peaceful spot that offers comfortable, affordable bed and breakfast.Great walks - Beautiful walking routes in the surrounding Cotswolds countryside.Sights nearby - Take a trip to nearby Cirencester, the old Roman town of Corinium.Full of character