Search the best hotels in Chippenham
Close to Bath and the Cotswolds in the beautiful Avon Vale, Chippenham is a peaceful base for explorers. The market town itself has charm, but some of the best places to stay in Chippenham are just out of town in one of the many ancient villages or beautiful old houses now country house hotels.
The views from the town are flat and expansive. There are several local woodlands, including Bird's March which is home to a wide variety of wildlife. There are varied walks, some of which take in the lovely local villages and their charming pubs.
Chippenham has a well known, and highly regarded, annual food festival in March and a similarly well considered Folk Festival held during May.
What not to miss:
- Book a trip during the annual food festival (March) to sample the best produce the South West has to offer.
- Visit the Chippenham Museum and Heritage Centre and learn about the town's history.
- Take a day trip to the historical city of Bath.
The festivals are busy times for accommodation so if you want to guarantee a bed in the best places to stay in Chippenham you'll have to book ahead.
The Best Places to Stay in Chippenham
The Best Places to Stay in Chippenham for a smart country house hotel
Lucknam Park is a classic country house hotel with a fabulous new spa and equestrian centre. The house itself is charming and the grounds extensive, perfect for exploring on horseback. The restaurant has a Michelin star, but there's also a brasserie if you fancy something less formal.
- The Manor House is a smart Victorian country house hotel surrounded by extensive grounds - with a lake, croquet lawn and an exceptional golf course too. Rooms are varied, and there's extra accommodation in individual mews cottages if you're with your family. The restaurant has a Michelin star.
The Best Places to Stay in Chippenham for an historic village inn
- The Castle Inn is a lovely, 800 year old inn in a traditional Cotswold village just 10 miles from Bath. There are 11 rooms, the food is good and you're surrounded by charm.
- Dating back to the 12th century The Castle Inn Hotel has seen the likes of Oliver Cromwell pass through its heavy wooden doors. Rooms are decorated in rich colours and heavy fabrics and include original exposed beams and some with four-poster beds.
The Best B&Bs in Chippenham
- The Limes is an immaculate three bedroom B&B in a pretty country house dating from the 1620s. Rooms start from just £89 per night so it's a great value option for visiting nearby Bath too.
- Fosse Farmhouse is a quaint abode surrounded by farmland, comprising of a B&B and self catering accommodation.
Prefer an apartment or cottage?
If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Fly to Bristol Airport, just 36 miles from Chippenham, which is well connected across the UK and Europe. By train, travel to Chippenham from London Paddington. There are numerous services and the journey takes just 1hour 12 minutes.
- Chippenham is a year round destination with each season bringing its own charm however for the best chance of warm bright days plan your trip in the summer months (May - August).
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Chippenham for you?
- Widen the net and take a look at all our recommendations in Wiltshire?
- Or review just 10 of the Most Romantic Hotels in Wiltshire? Or just Hotels with Hot Tubs in Wiltshire?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Chippenham
Best Hotels in Chippenham
Fosse Farmhouse Chippenham 6 rooms from £95Country Escape - Surrounded by some of England's most beautiful countryside this is a quintessential country stayGreat walks - Castle Combe, 'England's prettiest village' is but a beautiful 30 minute walk awaySights nearby - Bowood House is just a 15 minute drive awayFull of character
A quaint abode surrounded by farmland, comprised of B&B and self catering accommodation. Traditional style bedrooms with classic, carpeted bathrooms overlook green fields. A delicious English breakfast is included and guests can look forward to some of owner Caron's home-baked cakes. See More
The Castle Inn Hotel Chippenham 11 rooms from £119Country Escape - Located in the heart of Castle Combe: "England's prettiest village"Full of characterTraditionalGreat walks - Good for walkers.
Dating back to the 12th century this historic inn has seen the likes of Oliver Cromwell pass through its heavy wooden doors. Rooms are decorated in rich colours and heavy fabrics and include original exposed beams and some, four-poster beds. A hearty breakfast is included in the rate. A great stay. See More
Castle Inn Chippenham, Wiltshire 11 rooms from £135Local exploring - Explore the rows of Cotswold stone houses, medieval church and 14th-century Market Cross in this charming town.Back to Nature - From this quaint, historical town you can explore Wiltshire countryside at your leisure.Sights nearby - The village of Castle Combe has hardly changed since the 15th Century and is a popular setting for Hollywood blockbusters.Fishing - Don't forget to bring your rods and flies, there is wonderful fishing on the Bybrook river.
12th Century Inn in an untouched Cotswold village resting on Bybrook River just 10 miles from Bath. Contemporary meets classic design in the comfortable rooms. Excellent food and service in the locally renowned restaurant. A step back into the past with idyllic English country life, a beautiful stay See More
The Manor House, Wiltshire Nr Bath, Wiltshire 48 rooms from £270Active Holiday - With 365 acres of secluded parkland to explore, as well as fly-fishing, tennis, croquet and an 18 hole golf course.Foodies - Savour the delights of the Michelin starred Bybrook Restaurant- inventive, seasonal and utterly inspired!Fishing - Fly-fishing on the picturesque river meandering through the grounds is a must.Sights nearby - The Cotswolds and Bath are both stunning historical sites worth visiting.Recommended by - Frommers, Small Luxury Hotels
English country house turned hotel, resting on extensive grounds with a superb golf course, Michelin Star restaurant and the Full Glass Bar. Comfort, classic-design and charm make up the luxurious rooms. Relax in the garden, explore local Bath or delve into Cotswold countryside for adventures. See More
Lucknam Park Chippenham, Wiltshire 42 rooms from £290Active Holiday - Plenty of countryside persuits for the sporty types with clay pigeon shooting, riding, tennis, archery, and falconry.Foodies - Executive Chef Hywel Jones runs the Michelin starred The Park, as well as the award winning cookery school.Cooking classes - Learn to whip up your favourite dishes from The Parks' menu at the in house cookery school, a lovely way to pass a rainy day!Sights nearby - Bath is only six miles away- if you can tear yourself away from the endless entertainment at Lucknam Park.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
A luxury country home full of character. High ceilinged rooms are adorned with chandeliers and four poster beds. The surrounding parkland and gardens are painstakingly up kept. A spa, indoor pool and outdoor plunge pool aid relaxation. The fine dining restaurant is headed by a Michelin Star chef. See More