The Best Hotels in Edinburgh’s West End
Just west of the New Town, Edinburgh’s West End is known for its well-loved pubs and bars, independent boutiques and village-y feel - right in the heart of town, just behind Shandwick Place. And it’s a popular place for local folk as well as visitors. So the best hotels in Edinburgh’s West End tend to have buzzy bars and restaurants as well as a great, central location. If you’ve planned anything arts related for your stay, the West End might be most convenient for you; many of Edinburgh’s music, arts and theatre venues can be found on its cobbled streets and rather grander Georgian terraces. The West End also hosts a number of arts festivals and crafts fairs.
Most of the West End looks and feels a bit bohemian, but some of its main landmarks are anything but. The red sandstone of The Caledonian railway hotel is perfectly elegant, and on grand Charlotte Square you can visit The Georgian House, which has been restored to its late 18th Century glory. Next door is Bute House, another grand Georgian facade, and the official residence of Scotland’s First Minister. If you travel further west, out of the city proper you’ll pass the Murrayfield Stadium - much loved by fans of Scottish rugby, and Edinburgh Zoo.
For a city break
- The Dunstane Houses is a chic property in a peaceful corner of Edinburgh's West End (slightly further out of the centre of town). Recently renovated it boasts chic rooms and suites (some with in room copper tubs) and an excellent restaurant and whisky bar.
For great value
- B+B Edinburgh is a roomy B&B in the West End which feels more like a private club or boutique hotel than a B&B. Awash with Victorian character this is an exclusive feeling place without the price tag. Its 27 rooms start from as little as £75 per night including breakfast.
- The Edinburgh Residence is a baronial West End townhouse with 29 bedrooms and a clubby feel - the vibe is house guest at a Scottish laird’s pied-a-terre. And you’re just ten minute's walk from the castle and the Royal Mile. Rooms start from around £100 per night.
- For a similar room rate you could stay at the Bonham, a large townhouse with contemporary decor and 48 individually styled rooms. There’s also an acclaimed restaurant.
If you haven’t found your idea of the 6 best hotels in Edinburgh’s West End on our Guru’s list you could:
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Edinburgh?
- Or consider our Guru’s collection of the Best Hotels in Edinburgh’s New Town or the Best Edinburgh Hotels with Pools?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
The Dunstane Houses Edinburgh 35 rooms from $281Exclusive offer - 10% off City BreakSights nearby - Easy access to all of Edinburgh's top attractions including the Royal Mile, Old Town and Prince's StreetRestaurant - Ba'Bar and Lounge, fine Scottish dining with a touch of Orkney!Great walks - Climb Arthur's seat for a great view over the city and beyond.Designer - Uniquely designed interiorsRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Fodors, Mr & Mrs Smith
In a peaceful corner of Edinburgh’s West End, a short walk from Haymarket and 15 minutes’ drive from Edinburgh airport, The Dunstane Houses is an independent, 5 star VisitScotland 35-bedroom boutique hotel spread over two stately Victorian townhouses on opposite sides of the road. See More
B+B Edinburgh Edinburgh 27 rooms from $96Local exploring - With its excellent central location and attractive price tag, B+B Edinburgh makes a great choice for a budget city breakLess £ - With double rooms starting from well under £100 per night, B+B Edinburgh is a very affordable optionSights nearby - The property is a short walk (or bus/tram ride) from Edinburgh highlights including the castle and Royal MileViews - Many of the rooms boasts fabulous views over the city
The Edinburgh Residence Edinburgh 29 rooms from $127Families - Townhouse suites can sleep up to four and have kitchenettes for those who want to stay inLocal exploring - A great launchpad to explore the stunning streets of Scotland's capital.Sights nearby - Ten minutes walk from Edinburgh Castle and the Royal Mile.Views - Great views across Dean Village from the Drawing Room
The Bonham Edinburgh 48 rooms from $128Local exploring - Situated in Edinburgh's vibrant West End so ideally located for exploring the whole citySights nearby - All of Edinburgh's highlights are easily accessible whether on foot or public transportFull of characterRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Frommers, Good Hotel Guide