Search the best hotels in Gargnano
Petit and picturesque, Gargnano’s slightly awkward position on the western shore of Lake Garda, nestled with its back right into the mountains, means it’s escaped the worst kinds of tourism development and is still a charming hamlet. The marina is still small, and most of the shops and restaurants are within a few hundred metres of the waterfront. Some of our recommendations for the best places to stay in Gargnano have remained unchanged for several hundred years — gorgeously converted aristocratic villas, traditionally charming hotels, and pensiones. Though there are some more contemporary additions, including a fancy new spa hotel, which sits on the hillside above town (which is also where you'll find the accommodation options with the best views).
Gargnano stretches along the main road around the lake, its narrow streets dating from medieval times. Its church is impressive, considering the town’s size, and it also has a former convent of St. Francis, and an elegant town hall built in 1581. The surrounding land is taken up with fragrant gardens, orchards and olive groves. Historically Gargnano was a wealthy place, hence the number of beautiful villas now converted to hotels. Close to the marina there’s a small beach and there are a number of other beaches just along the shoreline, most with pebbles but very clear water. Some of the waterfront hotel restaurants are also worth a look in.
There are plenty of walking trails around, and it’s worth strolling over to Bogliaco to see its church, home to some exceptional 5th Century artefacts and some notable paintings, and to the nearby Villa Feltrinelli, which is where Mussolini lived during the period of the Republic of Salò’, and is now a stunning luxury hotel.
The best places to stay in Gargnano make a perfect base for those seeking an intimate escape or a romantic interlude. It’s also a nice, peaceful spot for families, and ideally located for exploring further afield on Lake Garda's western shores.
The Best Places to Stay in Gargnano
For a Special Occasion
- The Villa Feltrinelli is one of the grandest aristocratic villa conversions on Lake Garda, an opulent charmer, complete with huge and beautiful rooms intricately decorated ceilings, gorgeous tiles and impeccable details. Outside the pool and gardens are pristine, and inside there are 21 rooms and suites, plus a Michelin-starred restaurant. The location is perfect too, with million dollar views.
For Waterfront Charm
- The Villa Giulia is right on the lake edge. Inside there are 23 guest rooms and suites, traditionally decorated, with elegant dark-wood antiques and opulent details and flourishes, but also light and airy, with big windows. Once a simple pensione, the Villa Giulia has been in the charming Bombardelli family for more than fifty years and they’ve added charm and a sense of historic hospitality. The restaurant and terrace have incredible lake views.
- The Hotel Gardenia al Lago is an elegant villa hotel right on the edge of Lake Garda, with the lake lapping up against its garden walls, and restaurant terrace. Inside there are 25 rooms and suites, all with French windows and private balconies, and traditional decor, there are also charming communal spaces and a fabulous Italian restaurant with an impressive wine cellar. The hotel is surrounded by olive and lemon groves, which are used in many of the dishes they serve. Understated and romantic.
- Gargnano is an excellent choice if you’re looking for a hotel right on the water’s edge, because here’s another charming option: the Hotel du Lac, which is so close to the water that its restaurant sits on a terrace that actually juts over the lake. When it comes to accommodation there are 12 rooms, six with lake views and private balconies, and six on the other side of the hotel. The decor is in keeping with the building’s age, it was built in the 19th century, and has a very Italian flair. Family owned and run, and you can really tell. Get up early for the buffet breakfast and you might be able to bag of the tables closest to the water!
For the Views
- The Villa Sostaga is an elegant old hunting lodge with magical views of Lake Garda and the mountains rising behind it. Its restaurant’s huge windows create an awe-inspiring backdrop, and the pool terrace must have one of the best settings in the world. The best of the 19 rooms and suites have incredible views too. The rooms are individually decorated, with unique Italian antiques, which gives the lodge a homely feel. There’s also a small spa, and the villa has a fleet of electric bikes if you need help with getting around.
For a Spa Break
- The Lefay Resort & Spa is a cool, contemporary build in a spectacular spot overlooking Lake Garda. This is one of the largest properties on our list of the best places to stay in Gargano, with 90 rooms and suites — some complete with private hot tubs and sun decks. There are several communal terraces and decks, several pools, and there’s a meditation garden — this is very much a place to relax and revitalise.
For Great Value
- The B&B Loggia Marti is a beautifully converted 17th century house in a tiny village of narrow alleys overlooking olive groves and Lake Garda. Its four rooms offer a stylish blend of traditional charm and contemporary comforts: think exposed beamed ceilings, tapestries and murals, stone fireplaces and beautiful bathrooms, with white tiles and wood details. There’s a home-from-home appeal, but with a better breakfast and afternoon tea than you’re used to at home.
Prefer a Self-catering Apartment or villa?
- Sometimes a villa or apartment is the best option if you're travelling in a larger group, so if you decide that you'd prefer a self catering option, check out our online booking partner, booking.com for some inspiration.
- Gargnano is on the western shore of Lake Garda, about mid-way down, so positioned between several international airports: Verona-Villafranca and Brescia-Montichiari. It’s also about 100kms from Venice Marco Polo airport and from Milan’s Linate and Malpensa. Brescia-Montichiari is closest, around 45 minutes away by car, or about an hour and a quarter by public transport. Verona-Villafranca is next closest, at around an hour by car, or two hours on public transport.
- If you want to hire a car — which we strongly advise if you want to explore furthe afield — we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
- Gargnano, like the rest of Lake Garda, is very popular in the summer, so if you want to visit at this time of year you’d be well advised to book your hotel/s and restaurants early. It is charming well into autumn and winter too, and spring is also very beautiful, so it’s more about what sort of holiday you’re planning. May and June are a good compromise if you’re still hoping for warmth and sunshine, with temperatures reaching about 25°C; it's a popular time for walking holidays. September is similar.
Still not sure where to stay?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay on Lake Garda
- Consider including other local centres in your search like Gardone Riviera or Salò’, which are just to the south, or Limone to the north
- You could also consider refining your search by the kind of accommodation you’re looking for, be it the best hotels with a view on Lake Garda, the best family hotels on Lake Garda or the best hotels on Lake Garda for foodies
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Gargnano
Best Hotels in Gargnano
Fondo La Campagnola Resort Gargnano (Lake Garda) 10 rooms from £95Local exploring - Situated close to the centre of Gargnano and ideal for exploring the wider Lake Garda areaGroups - With multi room options, these charming apartments are ideal for small groupsSights nearby - You can easily walk in to the centre of Gargnano, and Villa Feltrinelli is 300m the other wayViews - The residence boast views of both lake and mountains
A small resort comprising ten self catering units on the outskirts of Gargano. All are done in traditional style and offer fully equipped kitchens and a private outdoor space. Lovely garden and pool. The ideal property for a longer stay and fantastic value for money. See More
Hotel Villa Europa Gargnano (Lake Garda) 20 rooms from £104Value chic - With rooms starting at extremely competitive prices the hotel represents excellent value for moneyLocal exploring - Gargnano is an excellent base for anyone wanting to explore Lake GardaViews - Fabulous views over Lake GardaRestaurant - Fresh & Light offers simple tasty dishes for lunch and dinner with many ingredients grown on site
A charming property on the edge of Gargnano just 100m from the beach. Rooms are bright and spacious; the majority boast private balconies and many have lake views. There's a panoramic terrace for alfresco meals and use of the sister property's pool and garden. Great location and even better value! See More
Hotel Gardenia al Lago Villa di Gargnano 25 rooms from £130Active Holiday - Activities on the lake: sailing, diving, kayaking. On dry land, choice of walking tours and riding, plus fishing in Lake GardaSights nearby - Boat trips to Bogliaco, Palazzo Bettoni, Gargnano, Palazzo Feltrinelli, Villa Feltrinelli, and the Santella dei Pescatori.Great walks - Hundreds of paths; slope up to San Valentino Hermitage; Santelle tour; D.H. Lawerence tracksSailing - Historic Gargano's Sailing Club; Garda Yachting CharterRecommended by - Sawdays
An elegant villa overlooking Lake Garda. Edwardian style rooms with antiques, frescoes, views and all the mod cons. Sun terrace, beach and excellent Italian fare. Exquisite views across the lake, and lots of activities nearby. An understated but very romantic choice for a weekend of exploring. See More
Hotel du Lac, Gargnano Villa di Gargnano 12 rooms from £139Local exploring - Gargnano is a great base for exploring all of Lake GardaLakeside - Right on the shores of Lake GardaGreat walks - There are lots of paths for walkers of all abilities and once a week the hotel hosts a guided excursionSpa - Wellness treatments can be booked at the sister hotel Gardenia al Lago
A charming family owned and run small hotel overlooking Lake Garda, just outside Gargnano. The twelve rooms (six with lake view and balcony) are traditional in style and feature period furnishings and antiques that perfectly complement the 19th century building. A welcoming understated stay. See More
B&B Loggia Marti Gargnano (Lake Garda) 4 rooms from £78Active Holiday - There are loads of outdoors activities in the area from walking and cycling to watersports on the lakeLocal exploring - The property is ideally located for exploring the gorgeous Lake GardaGreat walks - Parco regionale dell'Alto Garda BrescianoSights nearby - Visit Verona for the day
A gorgeous seventeenth-century house in the heart of a tiny village made of narrow alleys and olive groves overlooking Lake Garda. The four bedrooms are clever mix of contemporary design and period features. A grown up, great value, laid back home from home, ideal for exploring the region. See More
Villa Sostaga Gargnano 19 rooms from £113Active Holiday - Lake Garda makes an excellent base for sports enthusiasts with sailing, hiking, golf and cycling opportunities in the areaLocal exploring - A charming spot from which to explore the delights of Lake GardaHistoric - The property was once the home of the Feltrinelli countsViews - From its elevated position you get fab views over Lake GardaRecommended by - Sawdays
Surrounded by 40 acres and overlooking Lake Garda, this charming villa was once an old hunting lodge. The bedrooms have a unique homely feel with antique furniture and are all individually named. Enjoy the elegant art nouveau dining room which gives a refined noble feel to this charming retreat. See More
Villa Giulia, Gargnano Gargnano 23 rooms from £273Honeymoons - Hopelessly romantic old world feel- balconies overlooking the lake, Murano glass chandeliers and proseco under the stars.Foodies - Savour the masterpieces created from the regions bountiful produce, in a phenomanal setting overlooking the lake.Literary - DH Lawrence stayed on the lake for months at a time and would write the final version of Sons and Lovers here.Great walks - The beautifully maintained gardens are a feast for the senses with bougainvillea, climbing roses, olive and lemon trees.
Lefay Resort & Spa Gargnano 90 rooms from £345Spa breaks - Beyond the spa itself (which is superb) there are multiple pools, saunas and meditation gardensTotal relaxation - The mountain location, overlooking Lake Garda, makes this a serene spot to come and relaxPrivate Hot Tub - Royal pool & spa suite has a private hot tub & infinity poolKids Club - Daily club for children aged from 3 - 12Recommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels
Villa Feltrinelli Gargnano 21 rooms from £824Foodies - The elegant restaurant serves up superlative Italian cuisine in an undeniably romantic setting & has two Michelin starsRomantic Break - The ultimate treat for yourself and a loved oneGreat walks - Plenty of scenic walking routes nearbyRestaurant - Two Michelin starred restaurantRecommended by - Kiwi Collection, Fodors