Search the best hotels in Gargnano
Small and picturesque, Gargnano’s slightly awkward position on Lake Garda, nestled with its back right into the mountains, means that it has escaped the worst kinds of tourism development and is still a charming hamlet. The marina is still small and most of the shops and restaurants are within a few hundred metres of the waterfront. Some of our Guru’s recommendations for the best places to stay in Gargnano are ‘in’ town, but the majority of the best places have been converted from stunning aristocratic villas which surround the town offering views of both the lake and the mountains.
What not to Miss
- Quiet Gargnano has narrow, winding streets dating from medieval times and a large church - considering the size of the town.
- Gargnano also has a former convent of St. Francis and an impressive town hall built in 1581.
- The surrounding land is taken up with fragrant gardens, orchards, and olive groves, many lined with historic stone walls. And it’s been quite a wealthy, comfortable place, hence the number of beautiful villas now converted to hotels.
- Part of the pleasure of visiting Gargnano is the feeling of having a pocket of the lake to your self.
- There are plenty of walking trails and it’s worth strolling over to Bogliaco to see their church, home to some exceptional 5th Century artefacts and some notable paintings.
- The nearby Villa Fletrinelli, which is where Mussolini lived during the period of the Republic of Salò is worth a look.
Our pick of the best places stay in Gargnano range from an elegant B&B to no-holes-barred, top notch luxury!
The Best Places to Stay in Gargnano
The Best Places to Stay in Gargnano for Lakeside luxury
- The Villa Giulia is a handsome Victorian villa right on the water’s edge with 23 light, airy bedrooms and some lovely original decorations. Between the villa and the lake are beautiful, fragrant gardens. The villa is peaceful and the views are spectacular.
- The Villa Feltrinelli is another beautiful aristocratic villa conversion with 21 rooms boasting restored interior and antiques, beautiful fabrics and paintings. There’s also a Michelin starred restaurant.
The Best B&Bs in Gargnano
- Situated in a tiny village above the lake, you'll find the charming B&B Loggia Marti. The four bedrooms are super stylish and cleverly blend traditional with the contemporary. It's exceptional value. Doubles start from just €90 per night including breakfast.
The Best Hotel Views in Gargnano
- Converted from an old hunting lodge, the Villa Sostaga is now a 19 room hotel surrounded by 40 beautiful, green acres overlooking Lake Garda. A homey atmosphere and some very nice antiques make this a peaceful retreat with plenty of charm.
- The Lefay Resort & Spa is a spectacular spa resort overlooking Lake Garda. There are 90 contemporary rooms and suites, some with private hot tubs and sun decks, plus there are indoor and outdoor pools, an excellent organic restaurant, a meditation garden and beautiful parklands.
Prefer an Apartment or Villa?
If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Gargnano is on the north-western shore of Lake Garda, positioned between several international airports: Verona-Villafranca and Brescia-Montichiari. But it’s also about 100kms from Venice Marco Polo airport and from Milan’s Linate and Malpensa. The nearest railway station is Desenzano.
- If you want to hire a car - which we highly recommend if you’re staying in Gargnano and want to see more of Lake Garda - we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Gargnano enjoys a mild, temperate climate with four distinct seasons, summer being the most popular time to visit. Between June and September temperatures are in the mid 20s and you get nine of ten hours of sunshine a day. Late spring, when it’s starting to warm up again, is considered the optimum time for walking holidays.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay on Lake Garda,
- Search our Guru’s list of the best luxury hotels on Lake Garda, or the best hotels on Lake Garda for foodies,
- Or the best hotels with a view on Lake Garda?
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Gargnano
Best Hotels in Gargnano
Hotel du Lac, Gargnano Villa di Gargnano 12 rooms from £104Local exploring - Gargnano is a great base for exploring all of Lake GardaLakeside - Right on the shores of Lake GardaGreat walks - There are lots of paths for walkers of all abilities and once a week the hotel hosts a guided excursionSpa - Wellness treatments can be booked at the sister hotel Gardenia al Lago
A charming family owned and run small hotel overlooking Lake Garda, just outside Gargnano. The twelve rooms (six with lake view and balcony) are traditional in style and feature period furnishings and antiques that perfectly complement the 19th century building. A welcoming understated stay. See More
Hotel Gardenia al Lago Villa di Gargnano 25 rooms from £108Active Holiday - Activities on the lake: sailing, diving, kayaking. On dry land, choice of walking tours and riding, plus fishing in Lake GardaSights nearby - Boat trips to Bogliaco, Palazzo Bettoni, Gargnano, Palazzo Feltrinelli, Villa Feltrinelli, and the Santella dei Pescatori.Great walks - Hundreds of paths; slope up to San Valentino Hermitage; Santelle tour; D.H. Lawerence tracksSailing - Historic Gargano's Sailing Club; Garda Yachting CharterRecommended by - Sawdays
An elegant villa overlooking Lake Garda. Edwardian style rooms with antiques, frescoes, views and all the mod cons. Sun terrace, beach and Italian dishes. Exquisite views across the lake, and lots of activities nearby. An understated but very romantic choice for a weekend of exploring. See More
B&B Loggia Marti Gargnano (Lake Garda) 4 rooms from £78Active Holiday - There are loads of outdoors activities in the area from walking and cycling to watersports on the lakeLocal exploring - The property is ideally located for exploring the gorgeous Lake GardaGreat walks - Parco regionale dell'Alto Garda BrescianoSights nearby - Visit Verona for the day
A gorgeous seventeenth-century house in the heart of a tiny village made of narrow alleys and olive groves overlooking Lake Garda. The four bedrooms are clever mix of contemporary design and period features. A grown up, great value, laid back home from home, ideal for exploring the region. See More
Villa Sostaga Gargnano 19 rooms from £113Active Holiday - Lake Garda makes an excellent base for sports enthusiasts with sailing, hiking, golf and cycling opportunities in the areaLocal exploring - A charming spot from which to explore the delights of Lake GardaHistoric - The property was once the home of the Feltrinelli countsViews - From its elevated position you get fab views over Lake GardaRecommended by - Sawdays
Surrounded by 40 acres and overlooking Lake Garda, this charming villa was once an old hunting lodge. The bedrooms have a unique homely feel with antique furniture and are all individually named. Enjoy the elegant art nouveau dining room which gives a refined noble feel to this charming retreat. See More
Villa Giulia, Gargnano Gargnano 23 rooms from £273Honeymoons - Hopelessly romantic old world feel- balconies overlooking the lake, Murano glass chandeliers and proseco under the stars.Foodies - Savour the masterpieces created from the regions bountiful produce, in a phenomanal setting overlooking the lake.Literary - DH Lawrence stayed on the lake for months at a time and would write the final version of Sons and Lovers here.Great walks - The beautifully maintained gardens are a feast for the senses with bougainvillea, climbing roses, olive and lemon trees.
Lefay Resort & Spa Gargnano 90 rooms from £345Spa breaks - Beyond the spa itself (which is superb) there are multiple pools, saunas and meditation gardensTotal relaxation - The mountain location, overlooking Lake Garda, makes this a serene spot to come and relaxPrivate Hot Tub - Royal pool & spa suite has a private hot tub & infinity poolKids Club - Daily club for children aged from 3 - 12Recommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels
Villa Feltrinelli Gargnano 21 rooms from £824Foodies - The elegant restaurant serves up superlative Italian cuisine in an undeniably romantic setting & has two Michelin starsRomantic Break - The ultimate treat for yourself and a loved oneGreat walks - Plenty of scenic walking routes nearbySwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor Heated PoolRecommended by - Kiwi Collection, Fodors