Search the best hotels in Praiano
The chief attraction of Praiano - apart from its spectacular location on the dramatic Amalfi coast - is that it isn’t as noisy or crowded as close neighbour, Positano. The latter is impossibly photogenic but also impossibly busy and pricey. Choose one of the best places to stay in Praiano however, and you can have the benefits of both towns but with fewer crowds.
What not to miss
- Praiano is made up of two centres, both of which are tuny - Vettica Maggiore, which is the upper town along the main corniche road and Marina di Praia, the lower town which is tucked into a cleft in the cliffs at sea level, a little further east towards Amalfi.
- Like Positano, Praiano also features pretty coloured houses, a maze of little lanes and flights of steep steps. Look out for the majolica-tiled votive shrines dotted around the town.
- The first thing you'll want to do is go for a swim as the sea is irresistible. There are several small beaches, some sandy, some pebbly, all of which are much quieter than those at Positano.
- The next big attraction here is the Grotta dello Smeraldo, a natural feature a couple of miles from the town. Essentially it’s a flooded cavern in which sunlight turns the water an iridescent shade of green while all around are weird and wonderfully shaped stalactites and stalagmites.
- There are several lovely churches in the town, including the Church of San Luca Evangelista with a beautiful majolica floor. The Church of San Gennaro, the Church of Santa Maria a Castro and the Convent of San Domenico high above the town and with breathtaking views.
- It’s worth spending a day in Positano (four miles to the west) to explore the cute little stairways and passageways between the steeply raked buildings.
- And then it’s only a couple of miles or so in the other direction to Amalfi town - with its Duomo, paper museum and splendid piazza and seafront. Make sure you’re back in Praiano for sunset, the most spectacular along this coast.
Choosing one of the best places to stay in Praiano could make a sensible choice for enjoying the Amalfi coast while escaping the crowds.
The best places to stay in Ranco
For designer chic
- With its white-on-white bedrooms, sleek lines and bold, modern art, Casa Angelina is a design-junkies’ dream. Rooms have private terraces and unbroken sea views while four fishermen’s cottages near the private beach have their own shady terraces. Plus there’s a pool and boat exclusively for guests.
For an intimate stay
- A delightful family-run B&B, La Maurella is a peaceful spot overlooking the sea. With five charming rooms it's within walking distance of Praiano's centre as well as some lovely beaches. Unbeatable sea views.
For a relaxing break
- If reclining in the sun is your idea of fun then Hotel Margherita is the one for you. Stylishly designed, the hotel's elegant rooms have balconies that offer stunning views out over the Amalfi coast. Enjoy delicious food on the terrace overlooking the sea.
For a nautical atmosphere
- Yacht Club Capo Cervo Suites offers something a little different from the rest of the hotels on our list. Decorated with artefacts recovered from local shipping fleets, the hotel reflects the mercantile heritage of the area. Full of charm and character, it's perfect for exploring the coast.
For a villa or apartment
- Want a bit more independence and flexibility? We recommend you rent a villa or apartment and you'll find a great choice with our online partner Booking.com.
- The best airport for getting to the Praiano is Naples (23 miles).
- Having a car gives you great flexibility when exploring the Amalfi coast, so why not visit our car hire partner Rentalcars.
- The summer is the best time to visit Praiano with the temperatures sitting comfortably in the twenties.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Praiano
La Maurella Praiano 5 rooms from £100Romantic Break - Some of the walks in this area are termed as the most romantic coastal walks in the worldLocal exploring - Located moments away from the centre, ideal for a tour around townGreat walks - Gentle walks around Praiano and more demanding hikes above townSights nearby - Ruins of Pompei cannot be missed
A small family-run B&B with stunning views of the sea. Chic, comfortable rooms and a sun soaked terrace to enjoy a delicious breakfast in the mornings. Located close to both the beaches and the centre of Praiano. A spectacular spot for exploring this secluded corner of the Amalfi Coast. See More
Hotel Margherita Praiano 28 rooms from £134Great walks - Make sure to take the Path of the Gods, a stunning walk from Agerola to Positano.Sights nearby - Immerse yourself in the rich Roman history at Pompeii.Fishing - Take a fishing trip from the port of Cetara.Views - Great views from hotel
A delightful hotel set in the picturesque town of Praiano on the Amalfi coast. Rooms boast elegant, traditional decor and balconies that afford fantastic sea views. The terrace is the perfect place to enjoy a glass of wine or a delicious regional meal in the evening. A coastal charmer. See More
Casa Angelina Praiano 39 rooms from £170Hotel boats for hire - Private skippered boat for guests.HoneymoonsLuxuryRomantic BreakRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel
Il Piccolo Sant'Andrea 84010 Praiano SA 27 rooms from £451Romantic Break - Amazing cliffside hotel offering truly stunning views of the coast, ideal for a romantic getawaySights nearby - Head into charming Praiano and take in the gorgeous viewsSwimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor poolViews - Great views from hotel
Stunning cliffside hotel with wonderful views and numerous terraces dotted with potted plants. Interiors are sleek and stylish with whitewashed walls and modern furnishings. Bright rooms offer great views from the balconies or terraces. Don't miss the spa and superb cuisine. See More