Search the best hotels in Praiano
Praiano is picturesquely positioned on the spectacular Amalfi Coast, yet is strangely peaceful compared to the photogenic bustle and crowds of its near neighbour Positano. Being a relatively small centre, Praiano has predominantly smaller properties, with a good range of B&Bs, guesthouses, small hotels and small apartment hotels. Though the best places to stay in Praiano also include some beautiful converted villas, and a couple of contemporary hotels. However our Gurus favour the properties with the very best views.
Praiano has two centres, Vettica Maggiore, which is higher on the cliffs, along the main corniche road; and Marina di Praia, tucked into a cleft in the cliffs at sea level, a little further east towards Amalfi. Both centres are small, but have little shops, cafes, bars, and restaurants. Around them wind narrow lanes and steep steps, in between prettily coloured houses. Explore either way along the coast from Marina di Praia and you’ll find Praiano’s small beaches, some sandy, some pebbly, but all quieter than Positano’s! Vettica Maggiore’s appeals include several very lovely churches: the Church of San Luca Evangelista has a beautiful majolica floor, and the Convent of San Domenico high above the town and with breathtaking views. Praiano is also the closest town to the magical Grotta dello Smeraldo, a vast sea cave that glows a magical emerald when flooded.
The town is an obvious pick for families who prefer a quieter beach and less crowed restaurants, but our Gurus recommend the best places to stay in Praiano to romantics too, and walkers. Whatever your reason to visit, it is an excellent place to relax, which isn’t something that can be said for everywhere on the Amalfi Coast!
The Best Places to Stay in Praiano
For a Beach Break
- The Grand Hotel Tritone is one of those wonderful Amalfi Coast buildings that seems to defy gravity, jutting out of the cliff so that almost all of its 60 rooms and suites have views that will take your breath away. The gorgeous pools, terraces, bars and restaurant have incredible views too. The decor is Amalfi Coast perfection, with plenty of white and accents of marine blues and greens, tiles and potted plants feature too. Below the hotel, on the water, is its private beach, complete with a rock pool, beach bar and cafe, and a jetty.
For The Views
- With its white-on-white decor, sleek lines and bold contemporary art, Casa Angelina is a design-junkie's dream. All of the 30 rooms and suites have private terraces and unbroken sea views, which stretch all the way to Capri and Positano, while four cottages near the private beach have their own shady terraces. The casa has both indoor and outdoor pools, plus a small gym, and a beach club with a boat exclusively available to guests. The cottage have self-catering facilities, and are idea for groups or families, but with over 12s.
For an Intimate Escape
- Picturesque and intimate, the Casa Privata is a seven room guesthouse surrounded by beautiful landscaped gardens full of lavender and roses, lemons, cypresses, and fountains, all tumbling towards the sea along a gently terraced slope. Halfway down there’s a secluded pool, and at the base of the cliff there’s a private beach. Each of the seven rooms is airy and spacious, decorated simply and traditionally with dark wood and a colour palate of warm naturals. They’re all unique, and some have private sitting areas and terraces, all have flowers from the gardens. Meals on request.
- Il Piccolo Sant'Andrea is a gorgeous, cliffside hotel overlooking the spectacular Amalfi Coast in both directions. Inside are just 27 rooms and suites, bright and stylishly decorated with lots of white, plus contemporary furnishings and features. There’s a chic spa with a small indoor pool, built into the cliff, an outdoor pool, and a beautiful bar and restaurant. Some of the suites are perfect for families.
For Great Value
- If reclining in the sun is your idea of fun then Hotel Margherita is the one for you. Stylishly designed, the hotel's 28 elegant rooms and suites have balconies that offer stunning views out over the Amalfi coast. They also have traditional features, like tiled floors, frescos, and decoratively painted furnishings. Enjoy delicious food on the terrace overlooking the sea, or close your eyes and enjoy the sun. The quadruple rooms will suit families, and there’s a friendly relaxed atmosphere and a friendly price tag too.
- La Maurella is a delightful, family-run B&B in a peaceful spot directly overlooking the ocean. It has just five charming rooms, all individually decorated and featuring lots of white and pale wood, the best with private balconies. There’s also a sun-soaked terrace, and a pool-with-a-view. A delicious breakfast is served on the terrace every morning,
For a Private apartment or villa
- If you think a self-catering option would best suit your needs then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Praiano’s closest international airport is Naples Airport, which is about an hour's drive, or just under two hours by public transport. Rome’s Leonardo da Vinci Airport might be convenient for connections, but it’s about three hours' drive, or four hours away by train.
- If you plan to hire a car, which we would advise if you want to get out and explore further afield, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- As wth the rest of the Amalfi Coast, the most popular time to visit Praiano is during the summer, it’s hot and sunny but busy with it. Daily maximum temperatures in July and August average at 30° C, so if you’re not so good in the heat you might want to opt for May, June or September, which are still bustling periods, with lots of sunshine.
Still not sure where to stay?
- You could expand your search to include all the best places to stay on the Amalfi Coast
- Or you could expand your search to consider some of the Amalfi Coast’s other gems like neighbouring Conca Dei Marini, Amalfi or Positano
- You might want to refine your search by the kind of accommodation you’re looking for, and consider the best beach hotels on the Amalfi Coast, the best hotel views on the Amalfi Coast or the best luxury hotels on the Amalfi Coast
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Praiano
Best Hotels in Praiano
La Maurella Praiano 5 rooms from £226Romantic Break - Some of the walks in this area are termed as the most romantic coastal walks in the worldLocal exploring - Located moments away from the centre, ideal for a tour around townGreat walks - Gentle walks around Praiano and more demanding hikes above townSights nearby - Ruins of Pompei cannot be missed
A small family-run B&B with stunning views of the sea. Chic, comfortable rooms and a sun soaked terrace to enjoy a delicious breakfast in the mornings. Located close to both the beaches and the centre of Praiano. A spectacular spot for exploring this secluded corner of the Amalfi Coast. See More
Hotel Margherita Praiano 28 rooms from £234Great walks - Make sure to take the Path of the Gods, a stunning walk from Agerola to Positano.Restaurant - Restaurant M'ama serves delicious Mediterranean cuisine on its panoramic terraceSights nearby - Immerse yourself in the rich Roman history at Pompeii.Fishing - Take a fishing trip from the port of Cetara.
A delightful hotel set in the picturesque town of Praiano on the Amalfi coast. Rooms boast elegant, traditional decor and balconies that afford fantastic sea views. The terrace is the perfect place to enjoy a glass of wine or a delicious regional meal in the evening. A coastal charmer. See More
Grand Hotel Tritone 84010 Praiano SA 60 rooms from £295Sights nearby - Head to nearby Praiano to soak up some amazing viewsSwimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor poolDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Views - Great views from hotel
An amazing hotel defying gravity, perched on the Amalfi cliffside. Expect views to die for, a stunning beach area and a gorgeous pool. Fresh interiors have fun tiling and potted plants galore, while rooms are equally smart and livened up by colourful tiles. Don't miss the great food. A real treat! See More
Casa Angelina Praiano 30 rooms from £468Hotel boats for hire - Private skippered boat for guests.HoneymoonsLuxuryRomantic BreakRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel
An immaculate design hotel set on the cliff facing the sea. Contemporary cool with whitewashed walls and funky art and sculptures. White rooms, suites, and separate cottages have private sea-facing balconies. Fantastic spa, restaurant and fun beach club. Perfect for couples and honeymooners. See More
Il Piccolo Sant'Andrea 84010 Praiano SA 27 rooms from £495Romantic Break - Amazing cliffside hotel offering truly stunning views of the coast, ideal for a romantic getawaySights nearby - Head into charming Praiano and take in the gorgeous viewsSwimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor poolViews - Great views from hotel
Stunning cliffside hotel with wonderful views and numerous terraces dotted with potted plants. Interiors are sleek and stylish with whitewashed walls and modern furnishings. Bright rooms offer great views from the balconies or terraces. Don't miss the spa and superb cuisine. See More
Casa Privata Praiano 7 rooms from £551HoneymoonsRomantic BreakSwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - I Escape