10 Great Hotels near the Colosseum, Rome
At the heart of Ancient Rome, the Colosseum was a testament to Roman design and engineering when it was built, about 2,000 years ago, and it still is today. Which is why it tops the list of sights for visitors to Rome, and why we’re never surprised when people ask for recommendations for the best places to stay near the Colosseum. Conveniently located on the borders of the Monti and Celio districts, there are lots of hotels in this area, including a few which actually overlook, or have roof terraces that overlook, the Colosseum. But there are a few a bit further afield which we recommend as well, especially if you’re looking for a city break style hotel, or for a great value Roman hotel. But there’s a lot to be said for waking up close to the Colosseum — if you can see it before breakfast you’ll have it almost to yourself, and that’s quite a special experience...
For a city break
- Forty Seven is a contemporary, and affordable, boutique hotel, with 61 rooms and suites and a fantastic roof terrace restaurant. The best rooms have private terraces, but even the simpler rooms have great views of the Palatino and the Colosseum beyond, or of the Tiber in the other direction.
- Almost in the shadow of the Colosseum, and with a roof terrace overlooking the site, the Capo d'Africa is a sleek, 65 room hotel. Its rooms and suites are classic city break style, and there's a great little gym and a super bar and restaurant. Perfect for a city break to Ancient Rome!
- The K is simple and elegant, with four stars and boutique styling throughout its 62 rooms, family rooms and suites. We love this hotel for its simple elegance, think herringbone parquet and wonderful city views. We also like the chic spa and rooftop jacuzzi.
For a Special Occasion
- Right beside the Colosseum, and the Forum, the Palazzo Manfredi is a five star property with just 16 luxurious rooms, suites and apartments, all large and luxuriously decorated, and many with private views onto the Colosseum and Forum. But it's difficult to top the views from the excellent rooftop restaurant, which is worth considering for a meal, even if you don't end up staying here.
- Or you might try the Hotel Celio. Its romance is traditional, and its 19 rooms and suites have memorable features, like mosaics and frescoes, trompe-l'œil paintings and Murano glass. It's directly opposite the Colosseum too, with a roof terrace with an incredible view, and a small pool.
For a romantic stay
- The San Anselmo isn't the closest hotel to the Colosseum, but it's in the smart, hilltop Aventine district, offering wonderful views of it from many of the 34 peaceful rooms and suites. The Baroque decor offers a sense of classic opulence, but with all the mod. cons., and guests find this a peaceful, as well as romantic, choice.
- With 30 bright, bold rooms and suites, the Roma Luxus is a fantastic conversion of an 18th century palace in the Forum. All of the rooms are smart and spacious, with well chosen Italian design accents, and the best suites have huge hydromassage tubs and private terraces. The spa is exclusive and the restaurant and bar are gorgeous.
- If you're not enamoured by the idea of Baroque, or opulent, touches, then the Residenze Argileto might just provide your idea of romance and luxury, close to the Colosseum. With 20 rooms, carefully decorated with pared back style and the best of minimal Italian design: think four-posters and original art works, but unfussy walls and fabrics, this is a stylish, contemporary hotel. And it's got a great spa and restaurant too, and a fantastic roof terrace with a bar.
Family Friendly Hotels near the Colosseum
- The Inn at The Roman Forum is a beautiful guesthouse, on a quiet, cobbled, pedestrianised street in Monti, close to the Forum, obviously. Its 14 rooms, family rooms and suites, are decorated with plenty of flair, and are deceptively spacious, considering the inn's facade. Expect four-poster beds, fireplaces, private balconies, and an incredible roof terrace.
For great value
- The Hotel de Monti is a bright, contemporary, B&B, with seven comfortable rooms. It’s located midway between the Colosseum and the central train station, close to Trajan’s Market. There are only seven rooms, all of them furnished in pale colours against dark wood.
If you haven’t found your idea of the best place to stay in Rome here, you could:
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Rome.
- Or you could consider our Guru’s list of the best hotels near the Vatican, the best hotels in Trastevere or one of our recommendations for great hotels near the Spanish Steps.
- You could refine your search to the Best Boutique hotels in Rome, or the 10 Best Luxury Hotels in Rome.
- Alternatively you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Capo d'Africa Rome 65 rooms from £162Roof terrace - A roof terrace is pretty specatucualr in Rome, and this roof terrace is no exceptionSights nearby - Located in the heart of Imperial Rome, a stone's throw from the ColosseumTownhouse - The hotel was once a school built in the early 20th-centuryRestrictions on children - Adults only propertyRecommended by - Tablet
Contemporary, sleek hotel in the shadow of the Colosseum in the centre of Rome. Gorgeous roof terrace over looking the city bell tower and Colosseum. Attentive staff. Bedrooms are retro and stylish. Excellent gym, cool Centrum bar and La Terrazza serves the best pasta. Near perfect urban hotel. See More
Forty Seven Rome 61 rooms from £148Romantic Break - The suites have a private panoramic terrace, an ideal spot to enjoy a glass of wine with your significant otherCity Style - With each floor dedicated to a master of twentieth-century Italian art, this is a very stylish staySights nearby - Located across from the Roman Forum's Temple of VestaLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Tablet
Contemporary boutique hotel with a fantastic roof terrace restaurant. Plush bedrooms and suites have parquet floors, huge comfy beds and all the modern gadgetry. Magnificent views from private terraces and the roof top. Romantic and stylish enough for the modern traveller. See More
Palazzo Manfredi Rome 16 rooms from £276Local exploring - Located besides the Colosseum, as a location, it doesn't get much better than thisFamilies - Children are well looked after with a babysitting service and kids' menus5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Sights nearby - Next to the Colosseum and Roman ForumRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Relais & Chateaux, Tablet
Hotel Celio Rome 19 rooms from £175Romantic Break - Sunbathe on the roof terrace, stroll through the streets of Rome, enjoying St Peter's Square, the Vatican, Trevi fountainCity Style - Hotel is seconds from the Colosseum; all of Rome's mueseums, restaurants, shops and sights on the doorstepSights nearby - Basilica di San Clemente, Colosseum, and Arch of Constantine. Also nearby are Roman Forum and Basilica di San GiovanniLocal markets - Campo dei Fiori Market, Piazza Vittorio Market, Porta Portese Flea Market
An exquisite hotel opposite the Colosseum. Individual rooms feature mosaic floors, frescoes, trompe-l'œil paintings and all the modcons. Roof terrace and children's pool, and an impressive breakfast room. An unbeatable location in the city. A luxurious and romantic choice for city exploring. See More
Residenze Argileto Rome (Rione Monti) 20 rooms from £207Hideaway - With free access to the spa when you book a room, and a bar and roof terrace on-site, this is a great Roman bolt-holeCity Style - With its design focus and first-class facilities, this boutique hotel oozes Italian city styleRomantic Break - Couples will fall in love with the romantic rooftop terrace and hot tubSights nearby - Visit the ancient Roman Forum and the Colosseum, both a short distance from this hotel
This contemporary design hotel is located in the stylish Monti neighbourhood in Rome. Rooms boast four-poster beds and original artworks, as well as smartphones with local SIM cards. Relax in the hot tub on the hotel's roof terrace before a treatment in the tranquil spa. An upmarket boutique hotel. See More
The K Rome 62 rooms from £202City Style - With views over the city from your window or private terrace, this hotel offers plenty of Roman glamourSpa breaks - Book a spa package at the hotel for total rest and rejuvenation on your holidayRomantic Break - Couples love the hotel's cosy beds and the chic spaSights nearby - Visit nearby Mercati di Traiano, a Roman shopping centre with preserved forums, great hall markets and archaeological exhibits
This four-star boutique hotel is located in the centre of Rome. Rooms are bright and spacious with modern interior design in sunny tones; the best suites offer a private terrace with views over the city. Book in at the sleek hotel spa or relax in the rooftop hot tub. A stylish, contemporary hotel. See More
Roma Luxus Rome (Rione Monti) 30 rooms from £138City Style - With rooms featuring Italian design pieces, and a trendy restaurant and bar on-site, there is plenty of city style at this hotelRomantic Break - The dramatic setting and luxurious suites score highly with couples; book a room with a hot tub for added indulgenceLocal exploring - Located within the historic Roman Forum, this hotel is a perfect starting point for exploring the local sightsSights nearby - Explore Trajan’s Markets, 2 minutes’ away from the hotel; the site features remains of what was once the hub of imperial Rome
This luxury, five-star hotel is housed in a renovated 18th-century palace in the Roman Forum. Rooms are smart and spacious with hand-selected design pieces; the best suites offer a private hot tub and terrace. Relax in the exclusive spa before dining at restaurant Madre. An indulgent getaway. See More
Hotel de Monti Rome 7 rooms from £64Local exploring - In the heart of the city this bolthole has a concierge service which will book tickets to events and monuments for youValue chic - Located in the central Monti district this chic little hotel comes with very attractive ratesSights nearby - Central location between Rome train station and the ColosseumLocal markets - Sample local produce at Trajan’s Market
The Inn at The Roman Forum Rome 14 rooms from £160Romantic Break - As the name suggests this property is just a stones throw from one of Rome's major attraction, the Roman ForumHideaway - It may be in the heart of the city, but the quiet alley it sits on feels hiddenSights nearby - Located between the Roman forum and the Colosseum and there's many other attractions in walking distanceRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels
San Anselmo Rome 34 rooms from £312Hideaway - An off the beaten track location ina residential neighborhood on the Aventine Hill, perfect for a quiet city breakGreat walks - Take a stroll in The Circus Maximus, an ancient Roman chariot racing stadium and mass entertainment venue.Sights nearby - The property overlooks Sant’Anselmo ChurchLively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet