7 Great Hotels near the Colosseum, Rome
At the heart of Ancient Rome, the Colosseum was a testament to Roman design and engineering when it was built, about 2,000 years ago, and it still is today. Which is why it tops the list of sights for visitors to Rome, and why we’re never surprised when people ask for recommendations for the best places to stay near the Colosseum. Conveniently located on the borders of the Monti and Celio districts, there are lots of hotels in this area, including a few which actually overlook, or have roof terraces that overlook, the Colosseum. But there are a few a bit further afield which we recommend as well, especially if you’re looking for a city break style hotel, or for a great value Roman hotel. But there’s a lot to be said for waking up close to the Colosseum — if you can see it before breakfast you’ll have it almost to yourself, and that’s quite a special experience...
For a city break
- Forty Seven is a contemporary, and affordable, boutique hotel, with 61 rooms and suites and a fantastic roof terrace restaurant. The best rooms have private terraces, but even the simpler rooms have great views of the Palatino and the Colosseum beyond, or of the Tiber in the other direction.
- Almost in the shadow of the Colosseum, and with a roof terrace overlooking the site, the Capo d'Africa is a sleek, 65 room hotel. Its rooms and suites are classic city break style, and there's a great little gym and a super bar and restaurant. Perfect for a city break to Ancient Rome!
For a Special Occasion
- Right beside the Colosseum, and the Forum, the Palazzo Manfredi is a five star property with just 16 luxurious rooms, suites and apartments, all large and luxuriously decorated, and many with private views onto the Colosseum and Forum. But it's difficult to top the views from the excellent rooftop restaurant, which is worth considering for a meal, even if you don't end up staying here.
For a romantic stay
- The San Anselmo isn't the closest hotel to the Colosseum, but it's in the smart, hilltop Aventine district, offering wonderful views of it from many of the 34 peaceful rooms and suites. The Baroque decor offers a sense of classic opulence, but with all the mod. cons., and guests find this a peaceful, as well as romantic, choice.
- With 30 bright, bold rooms and suites, the Roma Luxus is a fantastic conversion of an 18th century palace in the Forum. All of the rooms are smart and spacious, with well chosen Italian design accents, and the best suites have huge hydromassage tubs and private terraces. The spa is exclusive and the restaurant and bar are gorgeous.
- If you're not enamoured by the idea of Baroque, or opulent, touches, then the Residenze Argileto might just provide your idea of romance and luxury, close to the Colosseum. With 20 rooms, carefully decorated with pared back style and the best of minimal Italian design: think four-posters and original art works, but unfussy walls and fabrics, this is a stylish, contemporary hotel. And it's got a great spa and restaurant too, and a fantastic roof terrace with a bar.
Family Friendly Hotels near the Colosseum
- The Inn at The Roman Forum is a beautiful guesthouse, on a quiet, cobbled, pedestrianised street in Monti, close to the Forum, obviously. Its 14 rooms, family rooms and suites, are decorated with plenty of flair, and are deceptively spacious, considering the inn's facade. Expect four-poster beds, fireplaces, private balconies, and an incredible roof terrace.
If you haven’t found your idea of the best place to stay in Rome here, you could:
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Rome.
- Or you could consider our Guru’s list of the best hotels near the Vatican, the best hotels in Trastevere or one of our recommendations for great hotels near the Spanish Steps.
- You could refine your search to the Best Boutique hotels in Rome, or the 10 Best Luxury Hotels in Rome.
- Alternatively you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Capo d'Africa Rome 65 rooms from £118Boutique - With refined decor and exemplary service that caters to guests' every whim, this is a charming boutique staySights nearby - Located in the heart of Imperial Rome, a stone's throw from the ColosseumTownhouse - The hotel was once a school built in the early 20th-centuryHotel Entertainment - There is live jazz music every Tuesday and Friday eveningRecommended by - Tablet
A sleek contemporary hotel in the shadow of the Colosseum in the heart of Rome. A gorgeous roof terrace overlooks the city bell tower and Colosseum. Expect attentive staff and rooms with cool retro style. There's an excellent gym, a Centrum bar and La Terrazza serves standout pasta. A chic stay. See More
Forty Seven Rome 61 rooms from £213Romantic Break - The suites have a private panoramic terrace, an ideal spot to enjoy a glass of wine with your significant otherCity Style - With each floor dedicated to a master of twentieth-century Italian art, this is a very stylish stayHotel Entertainment - With an in-house cinema and a billiards rooms, there is plenty to do to unwind at the hotelArtworks - Expect to find striking contemporary art pieces throughout the propertyRecommended by - Tablet
A contemporary boutique hotel with a fantastic roof terrace restaurant. Plush bedrooms and suites have parquet floors, huge comfy beds and all the modern gadgetry. Magnificent views from private terraces and the roof top. Romantic and stylish enough for the modern traveller. See More
Palazzo Manfredi Rome 16 rooms from £383Foodies - Michelin starred regional and Mediterranean fare is created by chef Giuseppe Di Lorio and served on the spectacular terraceOther Activities - Live the ultimate Italian experience by taking the house Lamborghini out for a spinFamilies - Children are well looked after with a babysitting service and kids' menusLocal exploring - Located beside the Colosseum; it doesn't get much better than this!Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Five-star luxury next to the Colosseum and the Forum with exceptional views of both from an excellent roof top restaurant. Chic rooms, suites, and apartments are decorated in a contemporary-classic design. With fantastic food, unique views, and wellness too - this is Rome in style. See More
Residenze Argileto Rome (Rione Monti) 20 rooms from £207Hideaway - With free access to the spa when you book a room, and a bar and roof terrace on-site, this is a great Roman bolt-holeCity Style - With its design focus and first-class facilities, this boutique hotel oozes Italian city styleRomantic Break - Couples will fall in love with the romantic rooftop terrace and hot tubSights nearby - Visit the ancient Roman Forum and the Colosseum, both a short distance from this hotel
This contemporary design hotel is located in the stylish Monti neighbourhood in Rome. Rooms boast four-poster beds and original artworks, as well as smartphones with local SIM cards. Relax in the hot tub on the hotel's roof terrace before a treatment in the tranquil spa. An upmarket boutique hotel. See More
Roma Luxus Rome (Rione Monti) 30 rooms from £138City Style - With rooms featuring Italian design pieces, and a trendy restaurant and bar on-site, there is plenty of city style at this hotelRomantic Break - The dramatic setting and luxurious suites score highly with couples; book a room with a hot tub for added indulgenceLocal exploring - Located within the historic Roman Forum, this hotel is a perfect starting point for exploring the local sightsSights nearby - Explore Trajan’s Markets, 2 minutes’ away from the hotel; the site features remains of what was once the hub of imperial Rome
This luxury, five-star hotel is housed in a renovated 18th-century palace in the Roman Forum. Rooms are smart and spacious with hand-selected design pieces; the best suites offer a private hot tub and terrace. Relax in the exclusive spa before dining at restaurant Madre. An indulgent getaway. See More
The Inn at The Roman Forum Rome 14 rooms from £200Local exploring - As the name suggests, this property is just a stones throw from one of Rome's major attraction, the Roman ForumRomantic Break - Pick one of the rooms with a balcony, four-poster, and a large whirlpool tub for a very romantic baseHideaway - It may be in the heart of the city, but the quiet alley it sits on feels hidden awayChic - The building is ancient, however, the interiors have a chic contemporary feelRecommended by - Tablet
A beautiful guesthouse well located near the Colosseum. Attractively decorated bedrooms, suites and family rooms have a contemporary classic style, while the best have mahogany four-poster beds, fireplaces, and private balconies. A lovely rooftop terrace is a bonus. Ideal for city exploring. See More
San Anselmo Rome 34 rooms from £104Charming - Interiors are charmingly traditional with period furniture, Liberty-style molding on the Venetian plaster, and framed mirrorsOther Activities - Experience the twilight hours on Palatine Hill with splendid views over the Roman Forum, Circus Maximus and the ColosseumHideaway - An off the beaten track location in a residential neighbourhood on Aventine Hill, perfect for a quiet city breakRomantic Break - For a romantic stay choose the Deluxe room with a clawfoot tub topped with a crown canopyRecommended by - I Escape, Tablet