The Best Hotels near the Vatican
The Vatican offers much for the visitor, from its decadent architecture, its hoardes of art, and its rich history history. There are a few options of neighbourhoods to choose from around the Vatican. Campo dei Fiori and Trastevere neighbourhoods are some of Rome's oldest areas and home to many of the city's most famed sights, so these are a good choice for culture vultures. Otherwise, Prati is an upscale area with an excellent choice of restaurants and bars. All three areas have a wide range of accommodation options and much to do within walking distance. Our hotel experts have hand-selected a collection of the best hotels near the Vatican with something for everyone whether you are looking for a base for a romantic escape, a design-led property, a good value option or all-out luxury. So why not browse through our collection to start planning your next trip?
For the design
- Horti 14 is an exclusive concept hotel located in the heart of Trastevere. Rooms feature original works by artist Lucamaleonte, crisp linens and wood accents; book a deluxe room to enjoy a marble Italian bathtub. Relax with a drink on the terrace or at the roof garden. A smart, contemporary hotel near the Vatican, well suited to the young and hip.
- My Navona is a smart design hotel located a stone's throw from the Pantheon. Conceived by two Italian architects, the hotel offers individually styled rooms in pleasing pastel tones with original terracotta floors and unique Italian design pieces. A standout stay for design enthusiasts.
For Great Value
- The Due Torri, full of traditional Italian charm, tucked away in a narrow cobbled side street just a few steps away from the Vatican. Elegant rooms offer comfortable beds and antique furniture. A characterful stay offered at great rates.
- For just a little more, the 1930's style Villa Laetitia, with its lovely gardens along the banks of the river Tiber is a great choice. This fashionable boutique hotel designed by the Fendi family is beautifully styled with marble pillars, antique fabrics, black and white chequered flooring, 1930s art deco furniture. You get a lot for your money here.
- In a quiet cobbled, within walking distance of the main attractions, sits the 17th century Relais Orso with cool decor, a pretty roof terrace and chic Mediterranean restaurant. Choose one of the suites for an in-room hot tub. With rates starting below 100 Euros, this is a great value option.
- Hotel Donna Camilla Savelli is a four-star hotel housed in a renovated 16th-century monastery in Rome's stylish Trastevere neighbourhood. The elegant suites feature antique furniture and plush linens; the best have a pretty balcony and luxurious bathtub. A wonderful heritage stay with attractive rates too.
For the views
- The Eden, a stone's throw from St Peter's, is a 5 star stay with a delightful rooftop restaurant and wonderful views. The interior is tastefully done in subdued colours and lavish marble, complete with a fitness suite and private massages; you'll want for nothing here.
- The Hotel Campo de 'Fiori has a fantastic roof terrace overlooking the city skyline. You'll find romantic bedrooms with four-poster beds and frescoed ceilings, all within a 12-minute cab ride from the Vatican.
- Families will be well catered for in the elegant Albergo del Senato with a wonderful roof terrace bar and a traditional but relaxing atmosphere.
- Couples who want to experience the Italian flavour and buzz of the city should opt for the trendy 1920's Locarno, which is where artists like to hang out and has the air of a film set about it. Grand rooms are filled with antiques and there's a romantic rooftop bar.
For a B&B
- Buonanotte Garibaldi is a chic little B&B with just three rooms and a lovely breakfast courtyard. Rooms themed by colour have silk paintings, oak floors and antique furniture. Understated, welcoming, and not at all glitzy. A great choice for a weekend away in Rome in a quiet neighbourhood yet near the Vatican and major attractions.
- Banco 19 is a chic and intimate B&B. Airy interiors overflow with plants and lead to minimal yet warm rooms complete with vast bathrooms and wood accents. Enjoy breakfast before heading out to take in Rome's sights.
- The Hotel de Russie is a sleek contemporary hotel with light airy rooms, gorgeous terraced gardens and a fabulous spa and pool. Well suited to couples and only a 10-minute walk from St Peter's.
- The San Anselmo, located in the smart hilltop Aventine district, is 20 minutes away from the Vatican. A romantic and chic hotel with Baroque glamour and loads of personality. Complete with a gorgeous garden where you can relax and sip a cocktail whilst watching the sunset - this is a chic choice.
- La Residenza Napoleone offers wonderfully opulent apartment suites each with a kitchenette and private terrace. Expect taffeta silk, Baroque furniture and antique lighting. It feels as if you are stepping into history but with all the modern comforts.
- Hotel De'Ricci is a luxury hotel is located off the exclusive Piazza De' Ricci. Suites are dressed in a vintage style, with frescoes and hand-selected antiques; the best offer a private balcony. Let the hotel's professional sommeliers guide you through a private wine tasting before dinner. A chic stay.
Still not sure which to book?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Rome,
- or consider our recommendations for the best hotels in the heart of Old Rome
- You might want to look at our Guru's list of great hotels near the Colosseum, or great hotels near the Spanish Steps, or maybe the best luxury hotels in Rome
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Due Torri Rome 26 rooms from £104Local exploring - Location is perfect for those wishing to emerce themsevles in Rome and explore like a local.Historic - Previously the building housed Cardinals, Bishops, and famous noble Roman famillies.Families - Four small apartments are ideal for accommodating families.Great walks - Right in the historic heart of Rome, wander the streets and get a feel for the Eternal City.
Hotel Locarno Rome 83 rooms from £234Romantic Break - Chic decor, central location and romantic rooftop bar make this an ideal getaway for two!Local exploring - Use the free hotel bikes to explore the historic city centre like a local.Great walks - Just five minutes away you'll find Villa Borghese, the third largest public park in Rome.Sights nearby - Check out the iconic Piazza del Popolo, located just a few minutes from the hotel.
Villa Laetitia Rome 15 rooms from £126Local exploring - Well placed just a 15 minute stroll from Piazza del PopoloCity Style - A very chic stay designed by one of the Fendi sistersSights nearby - 15 mins walk to the Piazza del Popolo and easy access to the VaticanLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Fashionable boutique hotel designed by the Fendi family. Set in luscious gardens alongside the river Tiber. Attention to detail throughout the rooms and living areas is spectacular - marble pillars, antique fabrics, black and white chequered flooring, 1930s art deco furniture. Tranquil and trendy. See More
Hotel Campo de 'Fiori Rome 23 rooms from £135City Style - For an elegant and traditianally Italian stay, it doesn't get much better than thisGroups - With 11 apartments to rent sleeping from 2 - 5, this is ideal for small groupsRomantic Break - This is a classic and undeniably romantic stay brimming with Old World charmLocal markets - Enjoy the morning market at the Piazza Campo de Fiori
Albergo del senato Rome 56 rooms from £152Romantic Break - Elegant rooms with pretty private terraces are the perfect place to unwind with your significant otherLocal exploring - Perfectly placed just a stroll from Piazza Navona and the stunning Trevi FountainSights nearby - A stones throw from the PantheonLocal markets - The Campo de Fiori is close by
Hotel de Russie Rome 122 rooms from £350Local exploring - With it's central location and range of guided walking and biking tours, this is the perfect launching spot to explore the cityGarden - Stunning terraced gardens where you can dine during the summer monthsRestaurant - Recommended.Spa - Featuring hydropool and Turkish steam bathRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel
Relais Orso Rome 15 rooms from 249Restaurant - The restaurant Vicolo 88 offers traditional Medietrranean dishes and wine from the cellars of the houseSuites - Central glass walled showers built into the living rooms, suites with private hot tub and terraceRoof terrace - Sip cocktails on the roof deck with fabulous panoramic views of the citySights nearby - A stone's throw from Piazza Navona in the heart of Rome's historical centreRecommended by - Tablet
Just steps away from Piazza Navona and the Pantheon this sleek hotel, a 17th-century townhouse in a quiet cobbled street, is beautifully placed in the heart of Rome within walking distance of all the main sights. Cool contemporary suites, restaurant and a pretty roof garden with city views. See More
San Anselmo Rome 34 rooms from £312Hideaway - An off the beaten track location ina residential neighborhood on the Aventine Hill, perfect for a quiet city breakGreat walks - Take a stroll in The Circus Maximus, an ancient Roman chariot racing stadium and mass entertainment venue.Sights nearby - The property overlooks Sant’Anselmo ChurchLively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet
La Residenza Napoleone Rome 2 rooms from £633LuxuryOpulentRomantic BreakRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, I Escape
Incredibly opulent apartment suites drenched in old world Italian romance. Huge oil paintings, taffeta silks, lavish beds, Baroque furniture, antique lighting and romantic pastels covering the walls. Each suite has a kitchenette, private terrace, in-house cook and access to a concierge service. See More
Horti 14 Rome (Trastevere) 17 rooms from £265Local exploring - Located in a stylish neighbourhood in Rome, close to local attractions, this hotel is perfect for exploring the cityRomantic Break - Book a room with a luxurious Italian marble tub for added indulgence on your romantic getawayCity Style - This four-star boutique hotel has reams of chic Italian city styleSights nearby - Visit nearby Basilica di Santa Maria in Trastevere, a church known for its 12th-century mosaics and lavish interior
This exclusive concept hotel is located in the heart of Trastevere, Rome. Rooms feature original works by artist Lucamaleonte, crisp linens and wood accents; book a deluxe room to enjoy a marble Italian bathtub. Relax with a drink on the terrace or at the roof garden. A smart, contemporary hotel. See More
My Navona Rome 7 rooms from £99Local exploring - Located a stone's throw from the Pantheon, this hotel is an ideal base for seeing the sights of the eternal cityCity Style - Designed by two local architects, you can't get more city style than this boutique design hotelRomantic Break - Couples love the cosy, individually styled rooms and attentive hotel staffSights nearby - Visit the nearby Pantheon, one of Rome's most renowned sights and walking distance from the hotelRecommended by - Sawdays, Great Small Hotels
This smart design hotel is located a stone's throw from the Pantheon in Rome. Conceived by two Italian architects, the hotel offers individually styled rooms in pleasing pastel tones with original terracotta floors and unique Italian design pieces. Enjoy the room-served breakfasts; a charming hotel. See More
Buonanotte Garibaldi Rome 3 rooms from £156Local exploring - Perfectly placed in Trastevere, a quiet untouristy spot, yet near the sightsCity Style - A beautifully styled house with a real focus on artSights nearby - Located in the historic and vibrant Trastevere districtLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Hotel Donna Camilla Savelli Rome (Trastevere) 78 rooms from £172City Style - Located in a heritage building in a fashionable neighbourhood, this hotel has bags of city styleRomantic Break - Couples will adore the shaded terrace, comfy suites and grand setting of this hotelHideaway - Hideout in one of the spacious suites at this magnificent former monasterySights nearby - Visit Basilica di Santa Maria, renowed for its 22 Roman columns and 12-century mosaics
This four-star hotel is housed in a renovated 16th-century monastery in Rome's stylish Trastevere neighbourhood. The elegant suites feature antique furniture and plush linens; the best have a pretty balcony and luxurious bathtub. Don't miss the beautiful roof terrace. A breathtaking heritage hotel. See More
Banco 19 Rome 2 rooms from £142City Style - Effortlessly chic guestrooms, hotel interior filled with plants and print fabrics -Rome's delights on the doorstepRomantic Break - With just two stylish suites, this makes a very intimate and romantic place to staySights nearby - St Peter's Basilica, Trevi Fountain and Roman Forum under 2km from hotelLocal markets - Minutes from Campo De'Fiori's buzzy market
Redefine the romantic Rome getaway at this chic and intimate B&B. Airy hotel interiors overflow with plants and lead to minimal yet warm rooms, complete with vast bathrooms and wood accents. Enjoy breakfast before heading out to take in Rome's offerings. A welcome, modern twist on a classic weekend. See More
Hotel De'Ricci Rome (Navona) 8 rooms from £364City Style - Located in an exclusive, high-end part of the city centre, in a plush, heritage building, this hotel has reams of Roman styleLocal exploring - With Rome's main attractions within walking distance of the hotel, this is a great base for your local exploringRomantic Break - Couples love the boutique feel of this hotel and the exclusive wine experiences on offerSights nearby - Visit the nearby Piazza Navona, an elegant square dating from the 1st century A.D. with a classical fountainRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
This luxury hotel is located off the exclusive Piazza De' Ricci in Rome. Suites are dressed in a vintage style, with frescoes and hand-selected antiques; the best offer a private balcony. Let the hotel's professional sommeliers guide you through a private wine tasting before dinner. A chic stay. See More