10 of the Best Value Hotels in New York
Planning a trip to New York can be an expensive business, by the time you’ve paid the admission prices for a couple of the big museums and booked a Broadway show you could have easily spent $250 per person. Of course you can get more from your wallet if you don’t pay top dollar for your hotel, but it’s not always easy to tell which hotels are just budget and which hotels are really super value… which is where our Gurus come in with their recommendations for 10 of the best value hotels in New York. These are all hotels which will treat you to a fantastic stay, but will leave you a little something to pay for a few slap-up suppers too.
As well as our list of 10 of the best value hotels in New York our Gurus have offered up few recommendations for some of New York’s best free activities too. Central Park tops several of their lists - it’s so much bigger than many of us think it’s going to be and there’s plenty to see and do; they also like the art galleries, but not just the big ones, also the galleries in Chelsea where, if you wanted to blow your entire budget, you could buy some art as well as admire it. One of our Gurus admires City Hall which offers free tours, another loves Grant’s Tomb, and a third recommends Governor’s Island, but apologises at the $2 cost of the ferry round trip out to it - the island, with its ghost town, parks and mini-golf is free though. There are also a couple of call outs for the Green-Wood Cemetery, for the High Line in the Meatpacking District and for the New York Public Library.
For a city break
- About a mile from Times Square and just four blocks up from the Empire State Building, the Archer New York offer a quirky blend of downtown-style industrial chic and uptown decorative influences. The 180 rooms are modern and there’s a cool rooftop bar called Spyglass — named for its panoramic views.
- CitizenM New York is another in that set of innovative, modern, no-frills-hotels-with-funky-design-frills. It’s about one minute from Times Square, has wall-to-wall windows and a panoramic rooftop bar.
- Room Mate Grace is a funky and lively hotel just minutes from Times Square with surprisingly great spa facilities, a colourfully illuminated indoor pool with underwater music and a swim-up bar.
For romance on a budget
- The City Club Hotel feels like a gentlemen’s club because that’s what it used to be: subtly luxurious, classy and welcoming. The French-American restaurant is curated by award-winning chef Danial Boulud, and it’s got a bit of French glamour too.
- Vibrant and friendly, the Casablanca Hotel is one of the best places to stay if you want to be right in the heart of things. The decor, as you may have guessed, is Moroccan, with beautiful mosaics, tapestries ad paintings, impressive rugs and even ornate ceiling fans. These unique, careful touches, and the fact that it's incredibly well priced for the location, means that the 48 rooms are often booked solid with repeat guests.
For a hip hotel
- The Marlton in Greenwich Village has plenty of style and atmosphere, plus marble bathrooms, parquet floors, oak panelled walls and brass fixtures. It also has a cocktail bar, which is lovely, and a very nice French restaurant, also lovely - and an espresso bar! Now you’re really talking.
- The Westhouse Hotel is technically closer to MoMA than Times Square, but this exclusive hotel’s location is just really convenient for a lot of places, Central Park and Times Square included. Channeling rich 1920s glamour with a touch of Art Deco, it has crystal chandeliers, polished wooden floors, a vintage speakeasy bar and al fresco dining on the 23rd floor — plus a number of rooms that cater for children.
New York’s Best B&Bs
- The Harlem Flophouse is one of our favourite New York B&Bs, lovingly, and recently restored, The Flophouse represents an opportunity to stay in a real New York Victoria brownstone, with cosy rooms with wooden floors and fireplaces. This is a really welcoming place to stay, you’re on a quiet street in Harlem’s cultural quarter, and the place is owned and run by local artists who really want to show you a fantastic time in Harlem. There are just five rooms, so book ahead!
If you haven’t found you idea of the best value hotel in New York on our Guru’s list of 10 you could try:
- Expanding your search to include our list of the best places to stay in New York? or our Guru’s recommendations for 40 of Manhattan's Best Hotels?
- Or you could try our Guru's recommendations for 7 of the Best Midtown Manhattan Hotels? or 5 of the Best Uptown Manhattan Hotels? or 7 of the Best Hotels for 5th Avenue? or 12 of Times Square’s Best Hotels?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Archer New York New York 180 rooms from £148Local exploring - Just over a mile from Times Square, 5 minutes from Bryant Park and close to popular shops such as Tiffany & Co, Prada and Apple.City Style - Glamorous 22-story hotel in the heart of the Garment District with quirky, curated luxuries and decoration.Views - The bar on the 21st floor has fantastic views of the Chrysler and Empire State Buildings.Lively area - In the thick of the action.Recommended by - Tablet
Quirky hotel blending downtown-style brick walls and industrial spaces with uptown decorative influences, located in the Garment District just a mile from Times Square. The modern rooms are chic and delicately decorated, and the rooftop bar, Spyglass offers irresistible panoramic views. See More
CitizenM New York New York 229 rooms from £91City Style - In the heart of Manhattan, a few minutes from Times Square and Central Park, and rooms have wall-to-wall windows for great viewsValue chic - The hotel is modern, chic, and at the epicentre of NYC, but strives to provide the most reasonable prices.Local exploring - Located so centrally, this hotel is perfect for anyone wanting to explore New York from its very heart.Views - The 360 degree views from the panoramic rooftop bar are truly spectacular.
Innovative and modern hotel in the heart of Manhattan, 1 minute from Times Square. It prioritises experience and value: bright, cosy, clean rooms, all with wall-to-wall windows to immerse the guest in the bustle of NYC at a reasonable price. A panoramic rooftop bar also provides spectacular views. See More
Room Mate Grace New York 139 rooms from £85Local exploring - Minutes from Times Square, Bryant Park, Rockefeller Centre and the Museum of Modern Art, as well as great brand shops.City Style - 1970s inspired hotel minutes from Times Square with an indoor pool and bar, and brightly coloured retro rooms.Swimming Pool - A large, funky indoor pool with colourful light shows, underwater music, a swim-up bar and groovy seating area.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - I Escape
Funky and lively hotel just minutes from Times Square with a colourfully illuminated indoor pool with underwater music and a swim-up bar. The modest, modern rooms are brought to life by vibrant Jonathan Adler wallpaper, and great spa facilities are available (sauna, steam room, gym, pool, massages). See More
City Club Hotel New York 65 rooms from £85City Style - Former gentleman's club turned into chic hotel in fantastically central location with award-winning cuisine from Daniel Boulud.Local exploring - 3 blocks from Times Square, half a mile from the Rockefeller Centre and close to shops like Tiffany & Co, Prada and AppleFoodies - Daniel Boulud's coveted cuisine has Manhattan's fastidious foodies queuing to try it.Lively area - In the thick of the action.Recommended by - I Escape
Impressive former gentleman's club preserving the glamour and style as a hotel just minutes from Times Square and Broadway. The subtly luxurious decor of the bedrooms exudes warmth and class, and award-winning chef Daniel Boulud serves up a coveted menu of French-American dishes in the restaurant. See More
Casablanca Hotel New York 48 rooms from £186Sights nearby - Located just a few steps from Times Square and Rockefeller Center.Great walks - Bryant Park is just a seven minute walk away from the hotel.Romantic - Good for couples.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers
The Marlton New York (Greenwich Village) 107 rooms from £172City Style - A cocktail bar, an espresso bar, and the Margaux all in a restored historic building, previously frequented by great names.Local exploring - Located in the heart of Greenwich Village, a lively area with plenty to do and see.Full of characterLively area - In the thick of the action.Recommended by - Tablet
Atmospheric hotel with 'chic petite' rooms all featuring parquet floors, brass fixtures and marble bathrooms, located in the heart of Greenwich Village. Rich oak-panelled walls and elaborately furnished dining rooms and bars all contribute to its warm, romantic and characterful aesthetic. See More
WestHouse Hotel New York 172 rooms from £128City Style - Beautiful rooftop terrace, exclusive lounge and bar, and an award-winning concierge skilled at building specialised itineries.Families - A number of rooms are available that cater for children: double and connecting rooms which also provide childrens bathrobes.Local exploring - Located in Midtown Manhattan, an 8-minute walk from Times Square, and 3-minutes from Central Park.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels
Exclusive hotel in a fantastic location, a few minutes from Times Square and Central Park. Channeling rich 1920s glamour with a touch of Art Deco, it boasts crystal chandeliers and polished wooden floors. Designer decor in the rooms, a vintage speakeasy bar, and al fresco dining on the 23rd floor. See More
The Harlem Flophouse New York 5 rooms from £98Child friendly - Children under 12 years of age are free.Historic - Fully renovated prewar buildingCity StyleGreat walks - Good for walkers.