Search the best hotels in Positano
Location scouts go weak at the knees when they round the bend in the Amalfi Coast road and spy Positano nestled in the cliffs, rising from the bright blue sea towards fragrant citrus and olive groves. Its unbleached peach and pink buildings are stacked without many gaps in between, and there are numerous properties with exquisite views — including ALL of the hotels listed on our Gurus recommendations for the best places to stay in Positano! The town has a reputation for being glamorous and luxurious, but there are a number of excellent value picks in our selection, as well as grand palazzos, elegantly converted villas and townhouses, traditional Mediterranean hotels, and the very best B&Bs and guesthouses we could find.
Some of our Positano Collections:
To Positano’s idyllic location and charming architecture add roads so narrow you can barely fit a car through, beaches lined with coloured parasols, colourfully painted fishing boats, magenta fronds of bougainvillea, and girls in floaty florals. It is colourful and lively, full of kids queuing for gelati and families playing on the beach. Though of course it also has immaculate boutiques for the chic Milanese to peruse, and restaurants to please even the most gourmet palates. It’s basically a dream come true for photographers, artists, romantics, sun-lovers, Italiano-philes, walkers, beach-lovers, sailors, drivers, and families.
If you want the full experience you have to visit in the summer (though this is when the best places to stay in Positano will be incredibly busy), when the streets bustle from dawn until dusk, the restaurant terraces and gelato shops are always full, and the queue to pick up a pair of made-to-measure sandals (which is a Positano tradition begun at the end of WW2) are longest. But it’s beautiful here out of season too. Whatever you do don't fall too deeply in love with pretty Positano that you don't explore more of the Amalfi Coast while you're here. Take a trip along to Naples, Pompeii and Sorrento (at least!), and possibly pop over to Capri. If you're really brave, one of the best ways to discover the Amalfi Coast is by scooter!
The Best Places to Stay in Positano
For a Special Occasion
- Colourful Le Sirenuse is an 18th Century palazzo turned family-run luxury hotel. We love the many lemon-scented terraces and private balconies — all 58 rooms and suites have one — and the views of bpth Positano and the coastline. We also love the Neapolitan and Venetian antiques and artworks, the vaulted ceilings and the handmade floor tiles and the Michelin-starred Neapolitan restaurant, La Sponda, where every evening no less than 400 candles are lit. Romance guaranteed!
- Il San Pietro di Positano is a truly spectacular five star hotel in an almost impossible looking location, built into the cliffs overlooking Positano. Among its numerous charms are three restaurants, all quintessentially Italian, and one with a Michelin star. Go all-out gourmet, or dine beachside, you’ll not be disappointed. As well as the views and the food, San Pietro is a beautiful example of historic Italianate style: think tiles, pillars, archways, and ornate details. It also has both a pool and tennis courts cut into the cliffside.
For Traditional Positano Chic
- By classic Positano hotel standards, the Covo dei Saraceni, with its 66 rooms and suites, is quite a large hotel. It feels quintessential Amalfi Coast, with incredible views from tiled terraces, balconies, the restaurants and bars, and the gorgeous rooftop pool. All the rooms are individually decorated, in white plus one other colour, plus wood, terracotta and other Mediterranean style neutrals.
- The Villa Rosa is a totally charming, 12 room villa-turned-hotel, with wonderful views from its huge balconies. Each of the rooms is individually decorated, with some charming hand-painted floral motifs, but all share aquamarine tiled flooring and plenty of white. They range in size from large to huge, and the largest are ideal for families.
For an Intimate Escape
- Just along the coast from Positano, overlooking the Tyrrhenian Sea, is the Villa TreVille, an elegant villa-with-a-view converted into a 15 bedroom hotel. Each of the rooms is beautifully decorated with memorable features, like handmade tiles, Venetian lighting and individually curated art and libraries. Plus there's a restaurant championing the best local produce and a private beach.
- Marincanto is a smart, boutique-style hotel on the edge of Positano, overlooking both the town and its bay — especially from its incredible infinity pool, which appears to blend with the cobalt blue of the ocean beyond. Its 26 rooms and suites are decorated in whites and pastels, and offer chic, uniform simplicity, the staff are warm and friendly, the breakfast buffet is served on the terrace with its panoramic views and the restaurant offers a contemporary twist on Amalfi Coast classics. Romantic, but family friendly too.
For Positano Views
- Some of Positano’s best hotels have incredible views of the sea, but the Villa Franca is set a little further back from the water, and also enjoys incredible views of Positano itself, especially from the rooftop terrace, swimming pool, and restaurant. Many of the 37 rooms and suites have private balconies too. The decor is relaxed Italian water-side glamour, with a cool blue and white colour scheme of painted tiles, pillars, white marble and mirrored surfaces. Great for romantics.
- Once owned by Napoleon’s brother-in-law, the Palazzo Murat is a fabulous, centrally positioned, 17th century townhouse with spectacular, bougainvillea-fringed views of the town and the sea beyond. Our favourites of their 31 rooms and suites have sea-views from private terraces. The decor is as elegant as the name suggests: expect traditional tiles, whitewashed walls, exposed beams, and four-poster beds. The palazzo has an elegant restaurant too.
For a Beach Break
- The Hotel Le Agavi has all the hallmarks of a classic beach break hotel: the breezy blue and white decor including patterned tiles; the pool, restaurant, bar and terraces with views of the ocean and Positano; the private, sea-view balconies; and a private beach (on the end of a funicular taking you to the bottom of a cliff). Some of the suites are suitable for families.
- The Villa Magia is a perfectly proportioned boutique hotel, with just 13 individually designed and decorated rooms and suites — our favourites have private terraces with fantastic views — but they all have tiled floors, whitewashed walls and modern art. The villa also has three pools, an open-air spa, and a private charter boat. The cocktail and tapas bar serve excellent, local produce, and guests are just a ten minute walk from Fornillo Beach. Two-room suites are ideal for families.
- Miramare is well positioned mid-way up the tumble of Positano’s buildings, 210 steps above the beach. This was one of the first hotels in Positano, and offers accommodation in 16 luxurious, sea-facing suites, with private terraces offering views considered spectacular even by Positano’s high standards. Two bedroom apartments are ideal for families and some rooms come with sofa beds.
For a Relaxing Break
- The Hotel Poseidon is a traditional Mediterranean villa hotel in central Positano, overlooking the beach, the coastline and the rest of the town. It has 50 rooms and suites, all with a private terrace or balcony. They also share decor features, like tiled floors, whitewashed walls, and a preference for white soft furnishings, but there’s plenty of variation, and some of the suites are spaciously laid out over two floors. The Hotel Poseidon has a pool and restaurant with a view, pus a wellness centre and a hammam built into the rocks, so it’s a great choice if you’re here to relax.
- La Casa di Peppe is a six room, boutique-style pick, with fantastic views in both directions. This is an easy choice for families — there are great facilities onsite, and plenty of space. There’s no restaurant, but there are plenty nearby.
For Great Value
- Il Moro di Positano is a small, Mediterranean-style hotel, with six rooms decorated in a palette of white plus blue, yellow and green, and it’s one of the best value places to stay on the whole of the Amalfi Coast — even though its in fashionably glamorous Positano. Each of the rooms is smart and simple, with a private balcony overlooking an idyllic seascape. Some of the rooms are large enough for families. There’s no restaurant, but they offer a lovely breakfast.
- Villa La Tartana is an elegant Positano townhouse converted into a small hotel, with 11 rooms and one apartment — nine of the rooms offer sea-views. The decor is traditional yet fresh-feeling, with plenty of white and blue, pretty ceramic wall lights and private balconies. Breakfast is served on the terrace-with-a-view.
- Casa Buonocore is an elegant, six room B&B, converted and restored from a charming 17th century townhouse in the centre of town. Each of the rooms is spacious and individually decorated, and the atmosphere is intimate and peaceful, as well as being chic. There’s no restaurant, but they serve a delicious array of pastries and cakes daily, and an excellent breakfast, and there are a number of very good restaurants almost next door.
- The Villa Mary Suites is a five room B&B with some of the best views of Positano. Each of the rooms is traditionally, and individually decorated, and all feature lots of white, Italian antiques, polished wooden floors, and French doors leading out onto private balconies. This is an ideal romantic escape, while also being perfectly positioned for exploring Positano and its beaches.
- The Villa Yiara is a nine room guesthouse perched mid-way up Positano’s cliffs. The decor is white simplicity with a touch of yellow, and each room has a glorious private terrace-with-a-view, some of outdoor bath tubs too. No restaurant, but they do offer an excellent breakfast, and there are plenty of places to eat nearby.
For a Private apartment or villa
- If you think a self-catering option would best suit your needs then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Postiano’s closest international airport is Naples Airport, which is about an hours drive away, or just under two hours by public transport.
- If you plan to hire a car, which we would advise if you want to get out and explore further afield, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- As wth the rest of the Amalfi Coast, the most popular time to visit Positano is during the summer, it’s hot and sunny but busy with it. Daily maximum temperatures in July and August average at 30° C, so if you’re not so good in the heat you might want to opt for May, June or September, which are still bustling periods, with lots of sunshine. Many like to visit Positano in spring, when the flowers are blooming, and many of the towns are opening up excitedly after the winter — the Italian travel season officially begins at Easter. The Amalfi Coast hosts a couple of festivals and events during spring too.
Still not sure where to stay?
- You could expand your search to include all the best places to stay on the Amalfi Coast
- Or you could expand your search to consider some of the Amalfi Coast’s other ocean-side gems like neighbouring Praiano, Conca Dei Marini, Amalfi or Ravello?
- You might want to refine your search by the kind of accommodation you’re looking for, and consider the best beach hotels on the Amalfi Coast, the best hotel views on the Amalfi Coast or the best luxury hotels on the Amalfi Coast
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Positano
Best Hotels in Positano
Il Moro di Positano 84017 Positano SA 6 rooms from CA$219Local exploring - A great spot for exploring the surrounding town and various beaches and towns along the lovely Amalfi coastSights nearby - Visit the other charming towns of the Amalfi Coast such as Furore, Sorrento, Amalfi and PraianoRomantic - Good for couples.Views - Great views from hotel
A lovely terraced hotel with stunning views of the sea. Interiors are smart and simple, while rooms have a Mediterranean palette of sea-blue and yellows, pretty tiled floors, whitewashed walls and the small balconies benefit from those views. An easy and relaxing, sun-drenched, base. See More
Casa Buonocore Positano 6 rooms from CA$315Local exploring - Located in the centre of Positano within minutes of the beach and other sightsBeach Life - A 5 minute walk away from Positano's Spiaggia Grande BeachGreat walks - Hike through the well known trail 'The Path of the Gods' with breathtaking viewsLocal markets - Next door to a number of restaurants and shopsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A boutique B&B elegantly restored from a 17th century edifice. 6 rooms with panoramic terraces, in the centre of town. Breakfast, cakes and pastries are served daily. Chic and stylish, a great choice for couples on a romantic break. See More
Villa Yiara Positano 9 rooms from CA$322Local exploring - Positano Town Hall is a moments away and there's a wide option of scenic day trips to nearby townsFoodies - The best restaurants and bars in Positano are within walking distanceBeach Life - The picturesque Fornillo Beach is 800m from the hotelGreat walks - Walking trails link Positano to neighbouring coastal towns
Chic and charming way to experience Italian village life. An intimate B&B with yellow and white décor offers air-conditioning, free wifi and breakfast. Perched on a cliffside, every room features a magnificent sea-view terrace. Some rooms come with a relaxing outdoor bath tub as well. See More
Villa La Tartana Positano 9 rooms from CA$337Local exploring - Right next to the church of Santa Maria Assunta, minutes from the beach and the shorefront bars and restaurants.Sights nearby - Don't miss a trip to the World Heritage Site Pompeii.Sailing - Charter a boat to take you up the Amalfi Coast.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
A handsome Positano townhouse with enchanting bedrooms and one apartment. Freshly decorated in whites and blues, pretty ceramic wall lights, painted bedheads and private balconies. Excellent breakfasts on the terrace. A cool sanctuary to start the day in before heading to the beach. See More
La Casa di Peppe Positano 6 rooms from CA$402Hideaway - A small property overlooking the coast offering a totally secluded spotKayaking - Hire a kayak and explore the picturesque coast from the sea.Diving - Scuba dive from the Diving Center Amalfi Coast.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
A boutique property set against a cliff and offering glorious views of the Amalfi coast. A handful of rooms are classically dressed with tiled floors, simple furniture and pops of colour from the fabrics. Indulge in some of the numerous activities available or simply hide away in this tranquil spot. See More
Marincanto Positano 26 rooms from CA$408Foodies - The restaurant serves up a modern twist on traditional Amalfi dishes and is utterly exquisiteRomantic Break - Sun, sea, gorgeous views and romantic settings for diningBeach Life - A stone's throw from the Lido l'Encanto beachSights nearby - Spend a day marvelling at the UNESCO Heritage Site Pompeii.Recommended by - Michelin Travel, Great Small Hotels
A smart boutique hotel with friendly staff. Picture-perfect views from the beautiful terrace and private balconies. Bedrooms decorated in whites, creams and pastels are utterly chic. The infinity pool provides a place of tranquility as it merges with the cobalt blue of the sea. A romantic spot. See More
Villa Rosa, Positano Positano 12 rooms from CA$439Total relaxation - A serene 150 year old villa, with comfortable and elegant rooms, a peaceful garden, sunny terrace and proximity to the beach.Sights nearby - Spend a day exploring Pompeii, a must see.Sailing - Take a boat trip up the Amalfi coast.Sea Views - From some rooms.
A delightful villa featuring bougainvillea covered terraces, with unbeatable views of the Mediterranean. Large delightfully decorated bedrooms in white and pastels, with aquamarine tiled floors. Enormous private balconies make the perfect place for breakfast. An utterly charming spot. See More
Hotel Poseidon Positano 50 rooms from CA$483Total relaxation - With spectacular views, a Turkish bath built into the rocks and a wellness centre, this is perfect for a rejuvenating stayLocal exploring - Perfectly positioned to access all that the Amalfi coast has to offer from ancient sites to gorgeous beachesSights nearby - Explore the Amalfi Coast, plus Pompeii, Naples and VesuviusSwimming Pool - Outdoor PoolRecommended by - CN Traveller
A beautiful Mediterranean villa in central Positano overlooking the beach below. Traditional and romantic rooms and suites with tiled floors, white washed walls, and private balconies. Excellent swimming pool and bar, restaurant, and wellness centre. Relaxation in a busy spot. See More
Villa Mary Suites Positano 5 rooms from CA$490Local exploring - Ideally located to explore Positano itself along with the Amalfi Coast.Sights nearby - Discover the fascinating archeological areas of Pompeii and Herculaneum.Sailing - Rent a boat and explore the picturesque Amalfi coast.Views - Great views from hotel
An elegant B&B offering fabulous views across Positano and the coast. A handful of individually styled rooms are traditionally dressed with polished wooden floors, crisp white linen and french doors leading onto private balconies. Ideally positioned for exploring Positano, the beaches and beyond. See More
Miramare Positano 16 rooms from CA$571Families - The spacious apartments are the perfect base for families and groups, plus they're within walking distance of the beach.Great walks - Take a stroll through this charming town, wander the narrow streets and lanes to discover fantastic bars and restaurants.Sailing - Charter a boat and head up the Amalfi coast, a perfect day trip for couples or families.Local markets - The area around the hotel boasts many great shops, selling local wares.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
A gem perched above the town with breathtaking views. The apartments are a great choice for families or groups. The bedrooms have warm terracotta floors, antique furniture and attractive bathrooms. The glassed-in terrace for breakfast is magical. The beach is a 210 step climb down. See More
Covo dei Saraceni Positano 66 rooms from CA$615Total relaxation - Offering fabulous sea views of the harbour. The swimming pool has a serious view too. This is a tough spot to leave.Sailing - Discover the coast of Amalfi and Sorrento on the hotel's own yacht.Sights nearby - Visit the Duomo in Positano, complete with stunning majolica dome.Restrictions on children - Children over 4 are welcome
A perfectly typical Mediterranean property boasting glorious views over Positano and the bay. Individually styled rooms are mostly classic in style however the very best are recently renovated and contemporary. The rooftop pool is the real crowning glory, the perfect spot for a sundowner. See More
Palazzo Murat Positano 31 rooms from CA$724Local exploring - Located steps from the Piazzetta dei Mulini and the Spiaggia Grande, right in the heart of PositanoFoodies - Sample exquisite dishes from the Amalfi Coast in the elegant restaurantSights nearby - Situated in the centre of Positano, close to all the major attractionsSwimming Pool - Pool with stunning viewsRecommended by - CN Traveller
Fabulous 17th century townhouse in Positano with spectacular views. Bougainvillea strewn terraces, an infinity swimming pool, and dreamy rooms and suites with private terraces overlooking the sea. Very romantic, very centrally placed. See More
Hotel Le Agavi 84017 Positano SA 55 rooms from CA$818Beach Life - Perched on the cliffside, guests can descend steps or take a funicular to access a private beach, ideal for an easy seaside staySights nearby - Head to the charming town of Positano just 15 minutes away, and beautiful Sorrento also close bySwimming Pool - Outdoor poolDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
A stunning cliffside hotel with a private beach, lovely pool terrace and restaurants. Chic interiors are light and breezy with stylish fittings and a fresh palette of white, blue and gold. Bright rooms with terraces are done in blue, patterned fabrics and fun tiling. A real seaside gem! See More
Villa Magia Positano 13 rooms from CA$849Romantic Break - With luxurious rooms, couples' massages, and romantic dining, this is ideal for a break for twoBeach Life - Well positioned just a 10 minute walk from the beautiful Fornillo beachFamilies - The suite with two rooms makes this a convenient choice for familiesSailing - Enjoy a day exploring the Amalfi Coast on a luxury Abbate Primatist G46 speedboat or a traditional Fratelli Aprea gozzo boatRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
A superb boutique hotel with stunning sea views. Individually styled rooms vary in design and size but all feature whitewashed walls, terraces, and chic modern art. The best have traditionally tiled floors. With a spa, three pools, private boat charter, and fine dining - this one is hard to beat. See More
Villa Franca Positano 37 rooms from CA$966Hideaway - A peaceful hilltop property, away from the crowds of the coastal strip, with clean cut suites and wrought iron balconies.Cooking classes - Take a master class in traditional cuisine with the hotel chef.Swimming Pool - Rooftop Pool with amazing views over the Amalfi CoastSailing - Experience the Amalfi coast in style on a speedboat.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Truly sublime views of Positano and beyond from this 5* hotel's hilltop perch. Romantic rooms in chic whites and creams with tiled mosaics and wonderful sea views from private balconies. The roof top terrace and swimming pool are equally magnificent. A great choice for romantics. See More
Villa TreVille Positano 15 rooms from CA$1010Romantic Break - A beautiful all suites property with stunning interiors and a hideaway location. Pure luxury and romanceBeach Life - Guests can enjoy a private beachHoneymoonsSights nearby - Explore the villages along the stunning Amalfi CoastRecommended by - CN Traveller
Set on a cliff on the Amalfi Coast, Villa TreVille is an opulent estate with rooms and suites overlooking the Tyrrhenian Sea. Villas are adorned with ornate tiles and marble fittings, and guests have a private beach at their disposal. An Italian paradise with the atmosphere of a private home. See More
Le Sirenuse Positano 58 rooms from CA$1065Romantic Break - A fabulous and sophisticated break for two, with sumptuous suites, black-sand beaches and sparkling sun terraces.Foodies - La Sponda restaurant holds one Michelin Star and is lit every evening by 400 candles.Swimming Pool - Beautiful Outdoor Pool.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection
Sheer romance at this family-run hotel in an 18th-century palazzo. A celestial Amalfian fairytale - heavenly bedrooms with private balconies, Michelin-starred restaurant, and a pool terrace filled with lemon trees. A magical spot for romantics and foodies. See More
Il San Pietro di Positano Positano 60 rooms from CA$1741Foodies - There's no less than three restaurants here, one of which holds a Michelin star, this is Italian dining at its bestTennis - Featuring what must be one of the world's most impressive courts, offering that famous view of PositanoBeach Life - Boasting the only private beach in Positano5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux, CN Traveller
Spectacular Five Star hotel with all you could want for. Romantic bedrooms and suites with tiled floors, vaulted ceilings, sumptuous beds and private balconies. Private beach, restaurant, tennis courts, gorgeous infinity pool, spa and beauty salon. Very luxurious. See More