The 8 Best Budget Hotels on Lake Como
Lake Como is known for its beauty and glamour, but it doesn’t have to come with the price tag often associated with such a well-heeled destination. There are plenty of ways to see the lakes without breaking the bank, from visiting in the shoulder seasons (April or October) to staying at one of the towns on the quieter northern stretches of the lake. Our hotel experts have scanned the region to bring you a concise list of the best budget hotels on Lake Como ranging from grand historic villas to quaint B&Bs. While the prices may be low, the quality is certainly not — so whether you are in search of a romantic hideaway, a family-friendly stay or a hotel with a standout restaurant, why not browse through our collection to start planning your next trip?
- Hotel Florence in glamorous Bellagio is a stunning hotel with design mimicking its Florentine namesake. It has just 27 lovely rooms and sumptuous suites, some with private balconies and spectacular views — perfect for couples. There’s also a gourmet restaurant and a small spa, all starting at a very reasonable price in the low season.
- Casa Contrada Bella is a small guest house with three charming bedrooms. Two of the rooms have a small kitchenette and one has a balcony. Restaurants are within walking distance and the beach is just steps away. The adults-only environment and quaint feel make this a great base for couples.
- Owned by the same family for four generations, the Albergo Olivedo is a gorgeous ten room townhouse hotel right by the lake at Varenna. The decor is traditional, with stone floors, pastel walls and private balconies. Family-friendly and laid back, the Albergo Olivedo also has a lovely little Italian restaurant.
- Also in Varenna, the Albergo Milano is a charming hotel in an enchanting lakeside setting. There are a collection of 14 rooms all with stone floors, whitewashed walls and private balconies. The option of triples or apartments are ideal for families plus there’s a lovely restaurant too.
For a B&B
- Lezzeno's Nest on the Lake is a charming little lakeside B&B with five rooms and self-catering apartments. Bedrooms have four-poster beds and private terraces and there are lovely sun decks to share. The option to rent a bike or a canoe is a fun touch.
- La Canarina B&B is a charming B&B in the heart of Como with two simple, airy bedrooms decorated with antiques and overlooking a beautiful private garden. Just 200 metres from the lake, this is a lovely hideaway.
- Como Luxury Rooms is a boutique guest house with just two sleek, modern bedrooms decorated in cool greys. Located in the heart of Como’s Old Town this is an easy and affordable base.
- Locanda Osteria Marascia is a charming and well priced traditional hotel located in a quiet village just a short drive from Lake Como. Interiors are rustic chic with exposed beams, stone walls, and antiques galore. The fantastic cellar restaurant serves homemade Italian dishes that have been honed over five generations and is the real lure.
Still not sure which to book?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay on Lake Como.
- Consider just the best hotels with a view on Lake Como, Lake Como's best B&Bs or the best family hotels on Lake Como.
- Refine your search by location and search for the best places to stay in Como or the best places to Stay in Varenna.
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Hotel Florence Bellagio 27 rooms from £139Romantic Break - Cruise on the lake or stroll through the countryside before unwinding in the small spa, perfect activities for a romantic breakFoodies - Dine on gourmet Italian dishes set on a pretty wisteria-shaded lakeside terraceOwner managed - The property has been in the same family for the past 100 yearsViews - Breathtaking views over Lake ComoRecommended by - CN Traveller
Casa Contrada Bella Varenna 3 rooms from £113Romantic Break - A superb location, cosy rooms and suites and no children allowed make this ideal for romance!Groups - With just three rooms, this is a good choice if you want to rent out a place in its entiretyValue chic - Stylish rooms which start from just €130 per nightSights nearby - Situated in the historical centre of Varenna. 14th Century Church - Chiesa di San Giorgio is very close by
A small guest house with three charming bedrooms - wrought iron bed heads, exposed wooden beams, exposed stone wall. Two with a small kitchenette and one with a balcony. Restaurants within walking distance and the beach is just steps away. A great value base for exploring the area. See More
Albergo Milano Varenna 14 rooms from £130Charming - Pick this property for a tradional stay, the oldest part of the building dates back to the 17th centuryFamilies - With 3 apartments sleeping up to 5 people, this is a great choice for families or small groupsOwner managed - The friendly owners, Bettina and Egidio, often greet their guests personallyLakeside - Take the short stroll down to the lake and go for a swimRecommended by - Sawdays
Albergo Olivedo Varenna 10 rooms from £134Local exploring - Well located just 5 minutes from Varenna's pretty centre made up of winding cobbled streetsElegant - Traditional interiors see large sash windows, parquet flooring and antiquesSailing - Set on the Varenna jetty, this is a great base to explore the lake by boatOwner managed - Owned by the same family for four generationsRecommended by - Sawdays
Nest on the Lake Lezzeno 5 rooms from £95Hideaway - The lakeside property feels secluded and quiet, perfect to get away from it allLocal exploring - Located an easy boat ride to Varenna and other attractionsViews - Wonderful views over Lake ComoSights nearby - Some of Como's most spectacular villas are very close by
La Canarina B&B Como 2 rooms from £99Local exploring - Located in the centre of Como, you're ideally placed to explore on foot.Value chic - Beautiful rooms from just €95 per night B&B.Great walks - Travel up the Funicular and enjoy walks overlooking the lakeSights nearby - Como Cathedral is just minutes away
A charming bed and breakfast in the heart of Como. Bedrooms are simple and airy with natural wooden floorboards and antique wrought iron beds, all overlooking a beautiful private garden. A good location to explore Como on foot with plenty to see from the doorstep and just 200m from the lake. See More
Como Luxury Rooms Lake Como 2 rooms from £103Local exploring - Great location in the heart of Como Old Town - ideal for exploring on foot, or easy access to the lake and its boats.Value chic - This sleek property has two rooms with a very reasonable price tag which includes breakfastContemporary - Sleek contemporary rooms are decorated in cool greysGreat walks - Ride the Funicolare to scenic walking routes
A boutique guest house with sleek modern bedrooms decorated in cool grey colours. An ideal base in the heart of Como Old Town - plenty to explore on the doorstep. Breakfast can be enjoyed in one of the many cafes on the street and coffee is provided in the room. Simplicity at its finest. See More
Locanda Osteria Marascia Calolziocorte (Lake Como) 5 rooms from £74Value chic - With doubles from just €80 per night including breakfast, these smart rooms are excellent valueLocal exploring - Great location for exploring the Italian LakesGreat walks - Parco Regionale di Montevecchia e della Valle del Curone. There are good routes for all abilitiesSights nearby - Spend a day in Milan
Located in a quiet village just a short drive from Lake Como. This traditional hotel has a charming rustic chic feel with exposed beams, stone walls and antiques galore. The fantastic cellar restaurant serves home-made Italian dishes - the host's recipes have been perfected over five generations! See More