Search the best hotels in Como
Lake Como offers miles of beautiful shoreline dotted with pretty villages and towns, but Como is the beautiful, prosperous regional centre. Como’s old town, with the remnants of its 12th Century walls, is a wonderful place for an evening amble. It’s also where you’ll find many of the main attractions, Como’s best cafes - the kind to stop and watch the world go by in, and some of the best places to stay in Como.
If your idea of a great property in Como involves lake views, then have a look up in the hills as well, where there are some lovely B&Bs perched overlooking the lake.
What Not to Miss
- Como is a lot older than it looks: much of it was destroyed and rebuilt in the 12th Century, but there’s been a city here for a lot longer. The Gothic Duomo, the beautiful clover-like Basilica di San Fedele with its three naves and three apses, and some of the churches survived the destruction by the Milanese and make for very interesting visits.
- Many of the villas, piazzas and palazzos were built later on, off the back of the city’s wealth as a centre of the silk trade. It’s certainly worth seeking out some of the grander villas, the Villa Olmo for example, is a wonderful neoclassical landmark right by the water with wonderful gardens.
- Make a stop at the fascinating silk museum, the Museo della Seta.
- Of course you’re probably here for the lake! And all the remarkable towns and villages holding tight to its shores, the spectacular wooded hills and miles and miles of picturesque walking tracks around it are a glorious escape.
Don't forget how busy this will be during the peak summer months. So if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Como in July or August, get organised and book well ahead!
The Best Places to Stay in Como
For Como’s Old Town
- The Convento Sant’Antonio B&B has been beautifully converted from an old monastery, into a three suite B&B. The decor is period, with some nice antiques, though there are smart, modern bathrooms. Perfectly positioned just steps from the Duomo.
For Lake Views
- La Canarina B&B is a charming bed and breakfast in the heart of Como with just two simple, airy bedrooms overlooking a beautiful private garden only 200 metres from the lake. The decor is classical, with wooden floorboards and antique wrought iron beds.
- The B&B Vista Lago is a quiet B&B in the hills above Como. As the name suggests, the lake views are panoramic, and especially enjoyable when viewed from your own private sun terrace. There are just three rooms in the B&B and no children, so it’s ideal for a romantic break.
- The 3 star Taverna Bleu enjoys a fantastic location on the shore of Lake Como. It offers light-filled and spacious rooms decorated in a traditional manner, some come with private balconies. Be sure to dine at their fabulous restaurant specialising in local cuisine.
For Great Value
- The Como Luxury Rooms are just two modern bedrooms in an ideal base in the heart of Como’s old town. Simplicity and comfort for around €90 per night.
For an Apartment or Villa
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com
- Milan’s Malpensa airport is to the south of Como, about a 45 minutes drive away, and a good hub for major airlines. From the airport it’s possible to get a train down to Como Lago, which is close to the ferry and bus terminals you’ll need to go on to other towns and villages. If the connections are better for you, Milan Linate airport is about an hour and 20 minutes away, as is Milan Bergamo. You can also arrive via Switzerland.
- If you want to hire a car - which we highly recommend if you’re staying in Como and want to see more than just the one town - we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Lake Como is beautiful all year round, but the most popular time of year to visit is still summer. The weather in July and August is idyllic. Though there’s really little wrong with the weather between March and November. In winter the snow is beautiful, and desirable if you want to head up to Switzerland and the Alps.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to say on Lake Como,
- expand your search to include the best hotels with a view on Lake Como,
- the best budget Lake Como hotels,
- or Lake Como’s best B&Bs,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Como
Como Luxury Rooms 2 rooms from £79Lake Como
A boutique guest house with sleek modern bedrooms decorated in cool grey colours. An ideal base in the heart of Como Old Town - plenty to explore on the doorstep. Breakfast can be enjoyed in one of the many cafes on the street and coffee is provided in the room. Simplicity at its finest.Local exploring - Great location in the heart of Como Old Town - ideal for exploring on foot, or easy access to the lake and its boats.Value chic - This sleek property has two rooms with prices starting from just €90 per night including breakfast.Great walks - Ride the Funicolare to scenic walking routes
La Canarina B&B 2 rooms from £83Como
A charming bed and breakfast in the heart of Como. Bedrooms are simple and airy with natural wooden floorboards and antique wrought iron beds, all overlooking a beautiful private garden. A good location to explore Como on foot with plenty to see from the doorstep and just 200m from the lake.Local exploring - Located in the centre of Como, you're ideally placed to explore on foot.Value chic - Beautiful rooms from just €95 per night B&B.Great walks - Travel up the Funicular and enjoy walks for all abilities overlooking the lakeSights nearby - Como Cathedral is just minutes away
B&B Vista Lago 3 rooms from £122Como
This quiet B&B, set in the hills above Lake Como offers guests spacious, modern bedrooms, each with a private sun terrace and panoramic lake views. With just three rooms and no kids allowed, it is ideal for a romantic break or as a base for exploring the surrounding area.Local exploring - You can hire bikes or cars at the property, so it's an ideal base for exploring further afieldGreat walks - On the edge of Parco Regionale Spina Verde di Como, with fantastic walking on the doorstepSights nearby - Just outside Como and easy access to the best local sights.Views - All rooms have a private terrace with panoramic lake views
Convento Sant'Antonio B&B 3 rooms from £123Como
A quaint bed and breakfast situated in an old convent in the heart of Como. There are three unique guest suites stylishly decorated with fine antique furniture, period features and smart modern bathrooms. Warm, homely hospitality with good local knowledge and tips for day excursions and activities.Local exploring - The B&B enjoys a fabulous location in the heart of Como's old town and just steps from the Duomo.Great walks - There are lots of good hiking routes in the area for all abilities.Sailing - Enjoy a day sailing on Lake ComoFull of character