The 10 Best Hotels with a View on Lake Como
Lake Como is an exceptional beauty. Her pristine waters sparkle under the alpine sunlight and a ring of green mountains rise up sharply and protectively around her, keeping things calm. She has a scattering of islands, and some of Italy’s most charming towns, and most luxurious fishing villages, nestled into her gentle bays. Lake Como’s unspoiled views are just one reason why one might want to spend as much of one’s leisure time here as possible. So our Guru’s guide to the 10 best hotels with a view on Lake Como is a great shortlist from where to chose the best place to stay on Lake Como.
Lake Como’s shoreline is dotted with pretty towns, including the exquisite Bellagio and the wonderfully unspoiled fishing village of Varenna, but there are plenty of other hamlets to consider, and our Guru’s list of the 10 best hotels with a view on Lake Como offers suggestions from all around the lake’s edge.
For a luxury hotel
- Or there’s the equally grand, but not quite as lavish, Grand Hotel Tremezzo with 89 elegant rooms right on the water’s edge. Five stars worth of beautifully understated interiors plus generous sun terraces, an excellent restaurant and spa and parklands surrounding the hotel. Plus, one of the pools actually floats on the lake!
For a lakeside stay
- If you want to be right on Lake Como, try the Villa d'Este, one of the more traditional five star hotels, the kind with grand state rooms, chandeliers, heavy fabrics, private balconies and private boats.
- Like the Villa d’Este, Villa Flori is right on the water’s edge at Cernobbio. As well as the unbeatable setting, the Villa Flori has 52 contemporary chic rooms and suites, some with enormous balconies which hang out over the lake. Their restaurant offers alfresco dining from its Italian menu, plus there’s a lovely pool and spa.
- The Hotel Florence in charming Bellagio is a stunning hotel whose interiors mimic its Florentine namesake. It has just 27 lovely rooms and sumptuous suites, with private balconies and spectacular views - of course! There’s also a gourmet restaurant and a spa.
- Laglio is where you’ll find the Relais Villa Vittoria, a wonderfully romantic hotel, also right on the edge of the lake. As well as beautiful views, this hotel has 11 gorgeous rooms, an excellent restaurant, and peaceful terraces overlooking the water.
- The Casta Diva Resort & Spa in tiny Blevio is a collection of lakeside villas with 73 magnificent rooms, a huge spa and two gourmet restaurants. The beautiful pool actually part floats on the lake itself and the subterranean spa is cut into the rock of the lakeside.
- The Albergo Milano in Varenna is a charming hotel in an enchanting lakeside setting. There are a collection of 14 rooms, including triples and apartments, all with whitewashed walls and private balconies. There’s also a lovely restaurant.
- Lezzeno’s Nest on the Lake is a charming little lakeside B&B with five rooms and self-catering apartments. Bedrooms have four-poster beds and private terraces and there are lovely sun decks to share. They’ll also rent you a bike or a canoe. And all for under £100 per night.
For great value
- Owned by the same family for four generations, the Albergo Olivedo is a gorgeous ten room townhouse hotel right by the lake at Varenna. The decor is traditional, with stone floors, pastel walls and private balconies. Family friendly and laid back, the Albergo Olivedo also has a lovely little Italian restaurant. Rooms start from around £90 per night.
Still not sure?
- You could expand your search to include all the best places to stay on Lake Como?
- Or refine your search to just the 10 best value hotels on Lake Como? or the 8 best luxury hotels on Lake Como? or the 8 best Lake Como hotels for an active break?
- Or you could search by location, and focus on the best places to stay in Bellagio? or the best places to stay in Como? or the best places to Stay in Varenna?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Hotel Florence Bellagio 27 rooms from £139Romantic Break - Cruise on the lake or stroll through the countryside before unwinding in the small spa, perfect activities for a romantic breakFoodies - Dine on gourmet Italian dishes set on a pretty wisteria-shaded lakeside terraceOwner managed - The property has been in the same family for the past 100 yearsViews - Breathtaking views over Lake ComoRecommended by - CN Traveller
Villa d'Este Cernobbio 152 rooms from £599Garden - Set amid 25 acres of park including manicured gardens which feature magnificent fountains, grand terraces, and trimmed topiaryFoodies - The restaurant is a smart affair (there's a dress code). It served impeccible Italian fine-diningActive Holiday - There's plenty to keep everyone busy here from trekking to SUP or tennisElegant - Complete with glittering chandeliers and traditional art worksRecommended by - CN Traveller, Tablet
Grand Hotel Tremezzo Tremezzo 89 rooms from £521Spa breaks - T-spa specialises in anti-stress and rebalancing treatments, all custom-designed with ESPAOutstanding location - Set right on Lake Como and commanding spectacular views, this property is hard to beatFoodies - Dine in the superb La Terrazza which serves traditional gourmet Italian fareViews - Wonderful views of Bellagio and the Grigne mountainsRecommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection
Five Star Luxury from a Grand Hotel on the water's edge of Lake Como. Elegant interiors are understated, rather than overly lavish. Glossy parquet floors, brightly coloured walls, a mixture of contemporary and Baroque furniture, spectacular views from terraces. Excellent restaurant, spa, parklands. See More
Mandarin Oriental, Lake Como Blevio 73 rooms from £607Elegant - A grand 19th century villa decorated with that signiture Asian style of the Mandarin Oriental groupFamilies - Interconnecting rooms make this a great choice for those travelling with childrenTotal relaxation - With a glorious spa and quiet location this is a place to come and truly unwindHotel boats for hire - Take a cruise across the lake on one of the property's boatsRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels
Relais Villa Vittoria Laglio 11 rooms from £182Weddings - Receptions and intimate marriages are regularly held here and can cater for up to 68 seated guestsTotal relaxation - Spend days lounging in the infinity pool overlooking the lake and mountains or unwind in the spaLocal exploring - Just a short paddle from the village of LaglioViews - Breathtaking views over Lake ComoRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, CN Traveller
Villa Flori Cernobbio 53 rooms from £188Cycling - Bike storage is provided and guests can either take an easy amble around the lake or head into the mountainsElegant - Beautifully mixing original stuccoes, floral frescoes and wooden floors alongside chic contemporary touchesFoodies - Ristorante Raimondi offers excellent Italian al fresco diningRomantic - A fairytale setting and rooms to match!
Albergo Milano Varenna 14 rooms from £130Charming - Pick this property for a tradional stay, the oldest part of the building dates back to the 17th centuryFamilies - With 3 apartments sleeping up to 5 people, this is a great choice for families or small groupsOwner managed - The friendly owners, Bettina and Egidio, often greet their guests personallyLakeside - Take the short stroll down to the lake and go for a swimRecommended by - Sawdays
Nest on the Lake Lezzeno 5 rooms from £95Hideaway - The lakeside property feels secluded and quiet, perfect to get away from it allLocal exploring - Located an easy boat ride to Varenna and other attractionsViews - Wonderful views over Lake ComoSights nearby - Some of Como's most spectacular villas are very close by
Albergo Olivedo Varenna 10 rooms from £134Local exploring - Well located just 5 minutes from Varenna's pretty centre made up of winding cobbled streetsElegant - Traditional interiors see large sash windows, parquet flooring and antiquesSailing - Set on the Varenna jetty, this is a great base to explore the lake by boatOwner managed - Owned by the same family for four generationsRecommended by - Sawdays