The 7 Best Family Hotels on Lake Como
Lake Como is known for being beautiful, serene, pristine, and rather glamorous. These aren’t necessarily the words you might choose for the perfect family holiday destination, however, there are also plenty of family-friendly things to do here. Our Guru’s list of the best family hotels on Lake Como will help provide you with the right base so that you and your family can frolic freely against this picturesque backdrop. Whether you are in search of a luxury base with activities for all or something a little more low-key and friendly, there is something to suit most families here. So why not browse through our collection to start planning your next getaway?
For the views
- Relais Villa Vittoria, right beside the lake in Laglio, is a sumptuous yet family-friendly hotel (under 8s stay for free and there are bikes and kayaks to borrow). As well as having spectacular views over the lake, the Villa Vittoria also has an excellent restaurant, a beautiful pool, and lovely sun terraces.
- With views across to Bellagio, the five-star Grand Hotel Tremezzo has 89 rooms right on the water’s edge. Expect generous sun terraces, an excellent restaurant, a spa, and parklands while one of the pools actually floats on the lake! Everyone will be happy here with activities for all ages.
- Villa d'Este is another very special place to stay on Lake Como. Opulent and traditional suites, rooms and villas (perfect for families) have all the trappings of luxury plus private balconies and glorious lake views. The excellent restaurant, pool, spa, junior club during peak summer months, tennis court, SUPs, water skiing and private boat make this a standout stay.
- Mandarin Oriental, Lake Como is a five-star luxury hotel on Lake Como. Sprawling villas house magnificent rooms, a huge spa, and two gourmet restaurants. The floating swimming pool extends into the lake. With interconnecting rooms and plenty of activities, this is a good luxury family choice.
For great value
- Owned by the same family for four generations, the Albergo Olivedo is a gorgeous ten room townhouse set right by the lake in affordable Varenna. The decor is traditional with stone floors and private balconies. Family-friendly and laid back, there's a lovely little restaurant and rooms start at very reasonable rates.
- Albergo Milano, also in Varenna, is a charming hotel in an enchanting lakeside setting with a traditional restaurant. The option of triplet rooms or apartments are ideal for families of all sizes. This is a well-priced option.
- Lezzeno’s Nest on the Lake is a charming little lakeside B&B with five rooms and self-catering apartments perfect for families. Rooms have four-poster beds and private terraces. Bikes and canoes are a fun addition.
Still not sure where to book?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay on Lake Como.
- Refine your search to the best value hotels on Lake Como, the best hotels with a view on Lake Como or the best Lake Como hotels for an active break.
- Search by location and look at the best places to stay in Bellagio, the best places to stay in Como or the best places to Stay in Varenna.
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Relais Villa Vittoria Laglio 11 rooms from £182Weddings - Receptions and intimate marriages are regularly held here and can cater for up to 68 seated guestsTotal relaxation - Spend days lounging in the infinity pool overlooking the lake and mountains or unwind in the spaLocal exploring - Just a short paddle from the village of LaglioViews - Breathtaking views over Lake ComoRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, CN Traveller
Grand Hotel Tremezzo Tremezzo 89 rooms from £521Spa breaks - T-spa specialises in anti-stress and rebalancing treatments, all custom-designed with ESPAOutstanding location - Set right on Lake Como and commanding spectacular views, this property is hard to beatFoodies - Dine in the superb La Terrazza which serves traditional gourmet Italian fareViews - Wonderful views of Bellagio and the Grigne mountainsRecommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection
Five Star Luxury from a Grand Hotel on the water's edge of Lake Como. Elegant interiors are understated, rather than overly lavish. Glossy parquet floors, brightly coloured walls, a mixture of contemporary and Baroque furniture, spectacular views from terraces. Excellent restaurant, spa, parklands. See More
Villa d'Este Cernobbio 152 rooms from £599Garden - Set amid 25 acres of park including manicured gardens which feature magnificent fountains, grand terraces, and trimmed topiaryFoodies - The restaurant is a smart affair (there's a dress code). It served impeccible Italian fine-diningActive Holiday - There's plenty to keep everyone busy here from trekking to SUP or tennisElegant - Complete with glittering chandeliers and traditional art worksRecommended by - CN Traveller, Tablet
Albergo Milano Varenna 14 rooms from £130Charming - Pick this property for a tradional stay, the oldest part of the building dates back to the 17th centuryFamilies - With 3 apartments sleeping up to 5 people, this is a great choice for families or small groupsOwner managed - The friendly owners, Bettina and Egidio, often greet their guests personallyLakeside - Take the short stroll down to the lake and go for a swimRecommended by - Sawdays
Nest on the Lake Lezzeno 5 rooms from £95Hideaway - The lakeside property feels secluded and quiet, perfect to get away from it allLocal exploring - Located an easy boat ride to Varenna and other attractionsViews - Wonderful views over Lake ComoSights nearby - Some of Como's most spectacular villas are very close by
Albergo Olivedo Varenna 10 rooms from £134Local exploring - Well located just 5 minutes from Varenna's pretty centre made up of winding cobbled streetsElegant - Traditional interiors see large sash windows, parquet flooring and antiquesSailing - Set on the Varenna jetty, this is a great base to explore the lake by boatOwner managed - Owned by the same family for four generationsRecommended by - Sawdays
Mandarin Oriental, Lake Como Blevio 73 rooms from £607Elegant - A grand 19th century villa decorated with that signiture Asian style of the Mandarin Oriental groupFamilies - Interconnecting rooms make this a great choice for those travelling with childrenTotal relaxation - With a glorious spa and quiet location this is a place to come and truly unwindHotel boats for hire - Take a cruise across the lake on one of the property's boatsRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels