Search the best hotels in Calolziocorte
Nestling on the quiet banks of Lake Como in the foothills of the Bergamo Alps lies Calolziocorte. Low-key and laid-back compared to many other towns on Lake Como or Lake Garda, it is the ideal rural retreat for couples or families looking to holiday in Italy. From hiking through the Alpine mountain paths, enjoying watersports on the lake or exploring medieval monasteries and Romanesque churches, there's plenty to do in this picturesque town. Our collection of the best places to stay in Calolziocorte offer well-priced lakeside options ideal for taking in the fabulous views.
The town is largely unspoilt by the tourists that tend to descend upon Lake Como during the summer. Boasting few historic sites of interest and - on the surface - things-to-do, Calolziocorte is often avoided in favour of bigger towns. This, however, would be an oversight. Ideally placed on the outskirts of Lecco, Calolziocorte is the perfect base for exploring the area and is only 25 miles northeast of Milan. It also means that, unlike other towns on Lake Como, its beaches aren't packed with tourists, sunloungers and lakeside restaurants, meaning that you'll be able to find a quiet spot to while away the time.
What not to miss
- The Monastero di Santa Maria del Lavello, a lovingly and beautifully restored riverside monastery, is worth checking out, particularly for the sublime scenic views.
- It is also worth visiting the Church of Saint Lorenzo, whose gorgeous interior Romanesque frescoes are almost too perfect to behold.
- A few miles outside of town is also the Crespi d'Adda, a UNESCO World Heritage Site: a village created by the Crespi family in the 19th-century to house their industrial workers.
- In the foothills and Alpine massif are also some amazing hiking spots, providing picturesque panoramic views of Lake Como.
- Being only 4 miles from Lecco, be sure to explore the city. The streets are lined with classical Lombard townhouses bedecked with vines and 19th-century neoclassical mansions; the Torre Viscontea, a medieval tower and the only remains of what was once a castle, is a must-see as it looms over the city. The Chiesa dei Santi Materno e Lucia, in Lecco, an 18th-century architectural beauty, is also worth checking out. Lecco also boasts some amazing restaurants and many gelato shops perched on street corners!
During the summer months, the best places to stay in Calolziocorte tend to get booked up fast so we suggest planning your trip well in advance.
The best places to stay in Calolziocorte
- Locanda Osteria Marascia: a charming hotel just a stone's throw away from Lake Como, offering rustic-chic rooms complete with wooden beams, antique furniture and a mix of exposed stone and whitewashed walls. The restaurant is sumptuous, serving homemade cuisine from recipes perfected over 5 generations!
For an apartment or villa
- Check out our partner Booking.com who have a wide range of self-catering options.
- Fly to Milan Malpasena, just over an hour away by car.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit is during the summer months when the temperature ranges between 16 and 29 degrees.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Calolziocorte
Locanda Osteria Marascia Calolziocorte (Lake Como) 5 rooms from £69
Located in a quiet village just a short drive from Lake Como. This traditional hotel has a charming rustic chic feel with exposed beams, stone walls and antiques galore. The fantastic cellar restaurant serves home-made Italian dishes - the host's recipes have been perfected over five generations!Value chic - With doubles from just €80 per night including breakfast, these smart rooms are excellent valueLocal exploring - Great location for exploring the Italian LakesGreat walks - Parco Regionale di Montevecchia e della Valle del Curone. There are good routes for all abilitiesSights nearby - Spend a day in Milan