The 7 Best Luxury Hotels on Lake Como
The hotels along Lake Como’s beautiful, pristine shores are known for traditional luxury. Many are family run and have been for generations, and have a certain dignified ambience which reflects their position within such a spectacular vista. This sunny, peaceful spot has been the holiday destination of choice of literary figures and aristocratic characters since people started travelling for pleasure, and some of the best luxury hotels on Lake Como have been here since the beginning.
Our Gurus share a sympathy with the tradition of the place, with the aristocratic villas and their beautiful gardens, and the traditional grand hotels with their pillars and plush decor, but their list of the 8 best luxury hotels on Lake Como does include a few more modern offerings - if that’s your preference.
- The Villa d'Este is an opulent, 152 room hotel right on the water’s edge at Cernobbio. The decor is almost regal, with rooms, suites and villas decorated in rich fabrics, and with luxurious features like private balconies and chandeliers. There’s an excellent pool and spa, plus the hotel has its own private boats.I
- f you're looking for ultimate luxury and relaxation in a truly glorious setting, the Casta Diva Resort and Spa in Lake Como is perfect. Naturally it's five stars, and its two restaurants are excellent. But it also has a wonderful floating swimming pool, and a subterranean spa hewn into the rock of the shoreline.
For Traditional Luxury
- With views across to Bellagio, the supremely elegant Grand Hotel Tremezzo has 89 rooms right on the water’s edge, and five stars worth of beautifully understated interiors. Plus generous sun terraces, an excellent restaurant and spa and parklands surrounding the hotel. And one of the pools actually floats on the lake!
- Set just above Bellagio, with stunning lake views, the Hotel Belvedere is peaceful retreat which has been run by one family for five generations. The elegant bedrooms and apartments have parquet flooring and Italian furnishings. And guests can enjoy the secluded garden shaded by olive trees and the heated infinity pool with a view.
For Contemporary Luxury
- Villa Lario is an all suite luxury property on Lake Como's shores. Here you'll find classic Italianate architecture with thoroughly modern interiors. There's just five suites and an independent villa, plus a private jetty, stunning infinity pool and restaurant serving modern Italian cuisine. A seriously stylish choice!
- The Filario Hotel in Lezzeno is a super stylish design hotel with an outdoor infinity pool and private beach area on Lake Como. Bedrooms are decorated in cool earth tones with modern amenities and large showers. Restaurant with terrace overlooking the lake serves traditional Italian fare.
- Il Sereno, in Torno on the banks of Lake Como, offers luxurious designer suites with breathtaking lake views. Sit out on the terrace, which also enjoys these incredible view, and enjoy exquisite modern Italian cuisine from the restaurant.
Still not sure?
- You could expand your search to include all the best places to stay on Lake Como?
- Or refine your search to just the best hotels with a view on Lake Como? or the best hotels on Lake Como for foodies?
- Or you could search by location, and focus on the best places to stay in Bellagio? or the best places to stay in Como? or the best places to Stay in Varenna?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Mandarin Oriental, Lake Como Blevio 73 rooms from £607Elegant - A grand 19th century villa decorated with that signiture Asian style of the Mandarin Oriental groupFamilies - Interconnecting rooms make this a great choice for those travelling with childrenTotal relaxation - With a glorious spa and quiet location this is a place to come and truly unwindHotel boats for hire - Take a cruise across the lake on one of the property's boatsRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels
Villa d'Este Cernobbio 152 rooms from £599Garden - Set amid 25 acres of park including manicured gardens which feature magnificent fountains, grand terraces, and trimmed topiaryFoodies - The restaurant is a smart affair (there's a dress code). It served impeccible Italian fine-diningActive Holiday - There's plenty to keep everyone busy here from trekking to SUP or tennisElegant - Complete with glittering chandeliers and traditional art worksRecommended by - CN Traveller, Tablet
Hotel Belvedere, Bellagio Bellagio 64 rooms from £256Views - From its elevated position above Bellagio, the Belvedere enjoys fabulous lake views.Local exploring - A great base for exploring Lake Como and the surrounding area.Spa - With Turkish Bath, sauna and comfort zone with stunning mountain views, plus wide range of beauty, body and massage treatmentsRestaurant - Delicious Italian cuisine can be enjoyed either in the Verandah restaurant or outside on the terrace
Set back on a gorgeous hillside, this peaceful retreat has been run by one family for five generations. Enjoy the secluded garden spots shaded by olive trees and the heated infinity pool with a view. Elegant bedrooms and apartments with parquet flooring and Italian furnishings. A beautiful spot. See More
Filario Hotel Lezzeno 13 rooms from £278Total relaxation - With its private beach, infinity pool with a view, delicious Italian food and super stylish rooms, there's no need to move!Foodies - Authentic Italian cuisine served either in the stylish restaurant or on the terrace overlooking the lakeSelf catering to rent - The property features a range of one to three bedroom properties - ideal for families or small groupsLakeside - Lake Como - with private beach area
A super stylish design hotel with an outdoor infinity pool and private beach area on Lake Como. Bedrooms are decorated in cool earth tones with modern amenities and large showers. Restaurant with terrace overlooking the lake serves trad Italian fare. A chic spot in an excellent lakeside location. See More
Grand Hotel Tremezzo Tremezzo 89 rooms from £521Spa breaks - T-spa specialises in anti-stress and rebalancing treatments, all custom-designed with ESPAOutstanding location - Set right on Lake Como and commanding spectacular views, this property is hard to beatFoodies - Dine in the superb La Terrazza which serves traditional gourmet Italian fareViews - Wonderful views of Bellagio and the Grigne mountainsRecommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection
Five Star Luxury from a Grand Hotel on the water's edge of Lake Como. Elegant interiors are understated, rather than overly lavish. Glossy parquet floors, brightly coloured walls, a mixture of contemporary and Baroque furniture, spectacular views from terraces. Excellent restaurant, spa, parklands. See More
Villa Lario Pognana Lario, Lake Como 5 rooms from £425Local exploring - Ideal luxury base for explore Lake Como and the surrounding areaViews - Stunning views over Lake Como to the mountains beyondGreat walks - There are great walks for all levels of fitness in the surrounding countrysideCooking classes - The chef runs cookery classes for hotel guests
Chic Italian architecture meets modern luxury. Elegant all suite accommodation (two corner suites with wrap around balconies), right on Lake Como's shore. Enjoy watersports from the private jetty or relax by the elegant infinity pool. A fine Italian restaurant and stylish lounge complete the picture See More
Il Sereno Torno 30 rooms from £651Honeymoons - This slice of paradise is the ideal spot for that extra special honeymoon. A pampering hotel in an unforgettable location.Romantic Break - Stunning accommodation, beautiful views and exquisite cuisine make Il Sereno a great destination for a romantic breakFoodies - Michelin star chef Andrea Berton is in charge of Il Sereno's menu- guaranteed to please!Great walks - Head along the banks of the lakes or if you're feeling more adventurous then tackle the many mountain hikes all around the areaRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Situated in Torno on the banks of Lake Como, Il Sereno offers luxurious designer suites boasting breathtaking views. Sit out on the terrace enjoying exquisite modern Italian cuisine from the restaurant! Head off on a boat tour and explore the area. An enchanting and romantic spot. See More