The 20 Best Hotels in Provence for Foodies
Provence has much to offer lovers of good food and drink. Wine has been produced here since Roman times and there are a number of appellations to traverse and taste. And food in Provence is central to cultural life. There’s much pride in local produce and almost every town and hilltop village - however small and picturesque - has a lively market packed with locally grown and produced deliciousness. So a collection of the 20 best hotels in Provence for foodies was an obvious challenge to set for our Gurus. Who of course suffered long and hard enjoying simple soups on farmhouse terraces, terrines overlooking the vines and five hour gourmet lunches beside rows of lavender.
Yes, Provence is the perfect setting for al fresco dining… And they’ve slaved away under sun, sea spray and the scent of citrus brought on a mountain breeze to bring you their recommendations for the 20 best hotels in Provence for foodies.
Not all of the properties on our list of the best hotels in Provence for foodies have a Michelin starred restaurant, in fact not all of them have a restaurant! But they all offer wonderful access to Provençal cuisine in one way of another, and range from rural bastides to city grand dames.
For a Provençal Escape
- La Bastide de Moustiers is a 17th Century bastide with elegant, understated interiors, lovely gardens and terraces and a restaurant menu by Alain Ducasse. The lavender filled gardens around a large swimming pool and shady terraces are the perfect places for sipping wine.
- The Grand Hotel Henri in L'Isle sur La Sorgue, is an elegant, historic hotel in the centre of town with 17 timelessly decorated rooms and a courtyard restaurant brought to you by Michelin starred chef, Pascal Gin.
- The Hotel Crillon le Brave in picturesque, hilltop Crillon le Brave, is a smart hotel spread throughout a cluster of atmospheric old buildings linked by cobbled alleys, with fine dining on the terrace and amazing views. This is a luxurious, elegant hotel with every comfort, including a pool and spa.
In Rural Provence
- La Ferme de la Huppe is a converted farm with beautiful views over the Luberon and the old village of Gordes. Calm and peaceful with just ten rooms, a tranquil garden and pool and an exciting restaurant, this hotel is a traditional Provençal hideaway.
- Le Pavillon de Galon is a delightful 18th century pavilion tucked into the aromatic Luberon landscape and overlooking its own award-winning garden. There are just two rooms, an the accommodation is B&B, but you’re right in the midst of a number of well known Michelin starred restaurants, so you have privacy and access to numerous excellent menus. Plus the pavilion has two pools.
- La Bastide de Marie is a luxurious converted bastide in a glorious rural setting with 14 elegant rooms and beautifully manicured gardens, surrounded by vineyards and lines of cyprus trees. The food is sourced locally and paired with wines made on the property.
For a romantic stay
- The Hostellerie de L’Abbaye de la Celle in La Celle is a beautiful hotel set amongst vineyards, with elegant Louis XVI style furniture in its 14 rooms. The pool, gardens and terraces are picturesque and there’s a Michelin starred restaurant serving local produce.
- The Villa Augusta in Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux, is a fabulous hotel and restaurant surrounded by a parkland of cedar and olive trees. The 23 rooms mix traditional Provençal design with contemporary furnishings and all the mod. cons.. And of course there’s the fantastic gourmet cuisine in the fine dining restaurant. They also do wine tastings and truffling expeditions.
- Le Vieux Castillon is a stunning, 30 room hotel in Castillon-du-Gard. A Renaissance building, made from golden stone, surrounded by terraces then cypress and olive trees, this hotel is perched on a hill overlooking a beautiful valley. The cuisine is flamboyant Provençal and the rooms and suites are very romantic.
The Best Michelin Starred Hotels in Provence
- Hotel Michel Chabran in Valence, northern Provence, is a Michelin starred restaurant with ten simple, Provençal style rooms and a beautiful verandah. Close to vineyards of note and a golf course.
- For a reasonably priced hotel with a Michelin star you can’t go past the Hostellerie Berard et Spa in La Cadière-d'Azur, a lovely hilltop villa overlooking a green valley. There are 40 chicly decorated rooms and suites, most with private balconies, and an excellent spa and wine cellar.
For a Provençal City Break
- The Château de Massillan in Avignon is a beautifully renovated small château with turret bedrooms and elegant interiors. It's surrounded by parklands, a herb garden and lavender banks, and has a lovely lake, and an excellent restaurant serving regional cuisine.
- L'Artemise is a heavenly gastronomic restaurant with five rooms on a hillside just outside Uzès, with superb views and a lovely garden. There’s contemporary art on display, an elegant spa in the vaulted cellars including a lap pool, steam baths and a hot tub and the 'surprise' menu changes daily. Allow four hours for the full gastronomic experience…
- La Maison de Bournissac is a glorious hotel in Paluds de Noves, in the heart of Provence. There are 13 rustic chic rooms, some sleeping four, with exposed stone walls, lots of light and cream furnishings. The gourmet restaurant serves Mediterranean cuisine, there are romantic, fig-lined terraces and a large pool area.
The Best Hotels with Cooking Schools in Provence
- If you want to eat well, but also learn something about what you're eating then Château de Berne is for you. Surrounded by 1,500 acres of private vineyards, they offer wine tastings and cookery classes, and the fine dining restaurant has a Michelin star.
- La Mirande, in Avignon, is an immaculately converted former Cardinal’s mansion in the heart of the city opposite the Palais des Papes. There are 21 rooms and suites and a sculpture-filled courtyard where they serve Michelin starred cuisine. There’s also a cookery school.
For great value
- Hotel des Deux Rocs in Seillans, is a sublime restaurant with sweeping valley views and 11 delightful rooms. There are shady terraces on which to enjoy the excellent food when the weather is right. They have three family rooms, and prices for a standard room starts from around €75 per night.
- L'Enclos des Lauriers Roses is a fabulous country hotel surrounded by vineyards, orchards and olive groves. There are 23 rooms, arranged in a way that’s perfect for families or groups, starting from around €80 per night. Airy and bright, this hotel also has four pools a great restaurant and a great wine list.
Still not sure which to book?
- browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Provence,
- or consider something from our list of the best wine hotels in Provence
- consider our Guru’s guide to the best boutique hotels in Provence,
- or the best château hotels in Provence,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
La Bastide de Moustiers Moustiers Sainte Marie 13 rooms from £286Foodies - Alain Ducasse’s Michelin starred gastronomic restaurant is foodie heaven, with all vegetables from the hotel's kitchen gardenCountry Escape - A Provence country escape, surrounded by lush gardens and in a pretty village at the base of some dramatic limestone cliffsGreat walks - Wander through the picturesque Verdon National Park particularly enjoyable when accompanied by a hotel picnicHotel Entertainment - Spend a leisurely day catching up on your reading in the green house hammocks or by the poolRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Sawdays
A 17th-century bastide with magnificent cuisine under Alain Ducasse. Understated, elegant interiors kept simple and white with rustic natural touches. Lavender filled gardens surround a large swimming pool. Shady terraces ideal for sipping on a chilled glass of wine. Rural France at its finest. See More
Grand Hotel Henri L'Isle sur La Sorgue (1 Cours René Char) 17 rooms from £139Hotel Entertainment - Start your evening with a glass of champagne at the hotel bar, followed by a spoiling array of culinary treats on the terraceRomantic Break - An enchanting and romantic spot, with sumptuous suites, elegant interiors, great food and pampering serviceFoodies - The on site restaurant has gained critical acclaim for its fine French cuisineElegant - Classic French chic with soft colours, wall mouldings, and antiques
A historic hotel located in the centre of L'Isle Sur la Sorgue, oozing timeless elegance and sophistication. The rooms epitomise French chic - decorated in soft colours, chandeliers and antique furnishings. The courtyard restaurant serves sophisticated regional cuisine. An elegant stay. See More
Hotel Crillon le Brave Crillon le Brave, Provence 34 rooms from £278Foodies - The spectacular cusine is locally and sustainably sourced — reflected in the unbeatable flavour and understanding of ingredientsHoneymoons - You could not find a more romantic or picturesque spot — plus the village set up lends a private feel to the roomsTotal relaxation - Lounge by the pool and soak up the breathtaking views, pamper in the spa or gorge in the restaurant- utter heaven!Local markets - In typical French style, each local village has a market day, ask at the front desk for detailsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Relais & Chateaux, Tablet
A hilltop hotel in the heart of Provence surrounded by vineyards and olive groves. Elegant rooms offer style, views and soak baths. Fine dining on the terrace and a drink by the pool. Guests are enticed by the spa; the local charm and romantic feel about the place. A beautiful and memorable stay. See More
La Ferme de la Huppe Gordes 10 rooms from £205Local exploring - Well positioned to discover Gordes with its Cistercian abbey, Notre Dame de Sénanque, and pretty lavender fieldsFoodies - From local markets to renowned restaurants and wine estates — Luberon is a foodie destinationActive Holiday - Well placed for those who want an active break hiking, cycling or playing golfLocal markets - Shop for local produce at the Provençal market on Tuesday mornings in Gordes
Recently renovated, this converted farm has beautiful views over the Luberon and the old village of Gordes. A calm and peaceful retreat with tranquil garden and pool. Rooms are decorated in the traditional Provencal style. The perfect hideaway for local village exploring. See More
La Maison de Bournissac Paluds de Noves, Provence 13 rooms from £143Outstanding location - Located in the heart of the "Golden Triangle", Avignon, Arles, Aix en Provence is an ideal spot for local exploringSights nearby - Avignon, and the famous Palais des Papes, the Pont d'Avignon, and its international theatre festival in JulyHistoric - A traditional provencal house of the XIVth century, the property has a real sense of placeFoodies - The highly-acclaimed restaurant serves fabulous gourmet Mediterranean style cuisine
A glorious hotel in the heart of Provence. Rustic chic rooms and suites (some sleep 4) have stone walls, creamy furnishings, and lots of natural light. Fabulous Mediterranean restaurant, romantic fig tree-lined terraces, and a large swimming pool area. Romantic, gourmet, and family-friendly. See More
Le Pavillon de Galon Cucuron, Provence 3 rooms from £278Country Escape - Two outdoor pools, one which is filled with natural spring water, and ability to hire whole property, this is ultimate seclusionFoodies - The ideal pit stop in a culinary tour of Provence, with plenty of Michelin stars peppering the regionGroups - With just three rooms, this is a good option to rent out in its entirety with a groupWine tasting - Vineyards of the Rhône, Chateauneuf du Pape and Hermitage are nearby
A delightful C18th pavilion tucked into the aromatic Luberon landscape overlooking its own "remarkable" award-winning garden. This wonderful B&B offering two generously proportioned private suites is perfect for creative people and nature-lovers seeking tranquility, beauty and inspiration. See More
La Bastide de Marie Ménerbes, Provence 14 rooms from £274Honeymoons - Enchanting Provencal hotel with a rustic chic luxury suites, antique furnishings, stunning landscape and fantastic foodWine tasting - Be sure to check out the 15 hectares of vineyard that surround the hotel, wine tastings are a must!Foodies - Impeccable food, sourced from the local area, and paired with wine made on the propertyGreat walks - Wander through Luberon Regional Park and the surrounding vineyardsRecommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection
Luxurious converted Provençal bastide in a glorious rural setting. Elegant interiors with white washed stone walls and cast iron beds. Beautifully manicured gardens surrounded by vineyards and lines of Cyprus trees. An exceptionally nice pool and a highly acclaimed restaurant. Simply perfect. See More
Hostellerie de L'Abbaye de la Celle La Celle, Provence 14 rooms from £191Romantic Break - Rustic romance at this hotel with exposed beams in the rooms, elegant terrace dining and wine tasting in hotel cellarFoodies - Set within the hotel's own vineyards, cookery classes available with chef Benoit Witz using local produceSights nearby - Camps-la-Source, Forcalqueiret and Tourves; Marseille is around an hour’s drive away, as is the coastLocal markets - A market is on everyday of the week. Try Cotignac or St MaximanRecommended by - Michelin Travel, Fodors, Mr & Mrs Smith
A gorgeous hotel set amongst vineyards. Rooms are elegant and chic with Louis XVI style furniture, views over the vineyards, and lovely bathrooms. Outdoor pool, gardens and terrace. Michelin starred restaurant serving local produce, delightful bar area. Rustic, romantic and gorgeous. See More
Villa Augusta Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux, Provence 23 rooms from £121Foodies - The fine dining restaurant serves menus that change almost every day as a reflection of what is in seasonRomantic Break - Couples' massages, fine dining, and a secluded setting make this an ideal option for a romantic getawayGood wine list - A well-stocked wine cellar includes bottles from the Rhône Valley and Grignan-lès-AdhémarCountry Escape - Surrounded by woodlands and pretty gardens, this is a quiet rural escapeRecommended by - Michelin Travel
A 4* hotel and gourmet restaurant in parkland of cedar and olive trees. Boutique rooms and suites mix traditional architecture with contemporary furnishings and all the mod cons. Fantastic cuisine in the fine dining restaurant, large pool, wine tasting, truffling, and local exploring. See More
Le Vieux Castillon Castillon-du-Gard, Gard 30 rooms from £211Foodies - The restaurant serves picturesque Provencal cuisine and is much revered in the region.Luxury - Utterly luxurious; stylish, gourmet, very romantic in architecture and ambience.Romantic BreakRomantic - Good for couples.
A stunning hotel with all the romance and joie de vivre of Provence. Golden-stone Renaissance architecture, cypress and olive trees surrounding terraces, a pool perched on a mount overlooking the valley, sumptuous rooms and suites, and flamboyant Provencal cuisine. Utterly dreamy. See More
Hotel Michel Chabran Valence (Pont-de-l'Isère) 10 rooms from £95Restaurant - Recommended.TraditionalRecommended by - Michelin Travel, Good Hotel Guide
Hostellerie Berard et Spa La Cadière-d'Azur, Provence 40 rooms from £120Spa breaks - The Aromaspa offers a wide range of face and body treatments plus there's a well-equipped ThermaespaHistoric - A collection of historic buildings including old ramparts, an artists' pavillion, and a monasteryQuiet - Tucked away in a typical Provencal village, this is the ideal venue for a quiet gourmet holidayFoodies - The René' Sens Restaurant has been awarded a Michelin star for its superb regional fare
Château de Massillan Orange (Provence) 24 rooms from £183Total relaxation - Unwind by the pool, surrounded with the aroma of lavender and the sound of cicadas — complete tranquilityFoodies - Spectacular modern french cuisine — the six course tasting menus and excellent wine never fail to wowHistoric - The chateau was originally a hunting lodge for Henry II and Diane de PoitierGreat walks - Walk right from the property through typical Provence countrysideRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Sawdays
A beautifully renovated chateau with turret bedrooms, parklands, and a lake. The large pool and elegant interiors perfectly marry modern decor with the historical property. The herbed gardens and lavender banks fill the air with a delicate aroma. Complete with some of the region's finest cuisine. See More
L'Artemise Uzès 5 rooms from £191Spa - Elegant spa in the vaulted cellars, includes 10m corridor pool, steam bath, jucuzzi and treatment roomRestaurant - Allow four hours for the gastronmic experience, eat alfresco in the courtyard gardenSuites - Swish contemporary bedrooms and suites some equipped with kitchenettesGarden - Mature garden with ancient trees, beautiful shrubs and flowers
Heavenly gastronomic restaurant with rooms on a hillside, just outside the Uzes with lovely views and gardens. This beautifully restored and peaceful XV1 century Mas exhibits contemporary art by well known artists. The "surprise" Menu changes daily & follows the seasons. A memorable experience. See More
Château de Berne Lorgues, Provence 27 rooms from £234Country Escape - A lovely chateau in the heart of Provence's wine country, set in a 491 hectare forest with fragrant gardens and a swimming poolSpa breaks - Situated overlooking the vines and olive groves and boasting hot tubs, a sauna, steam room, sun lounge and relaxation spaceFoodies - With a Michelin Starred restaurant and a cookery school on site — this is a foodie heaven!Wine tasting - The chateau is particularly well known for its rosé and red winesRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Luxurious five-star manor farm-cum-chateau on a 1,500-acre private estate of vineyards. Chic elegant rooms in gentle hues and flooded with light. Exceptional french cuisine and wine options many coming from the estate. Glorious spa and infinity pool. A truly indulgent french escape. See More
La Mirande Avignon 21 rooms from £399Historic - The 14th-century building was originally a cardinal's residence and the original grandeur still very much remainsFoodies - The gourmet restaurant offers a five-course tasting menu which uses regional and seasonal produceFamilies - With painting and art classes arranged for children, this is a surprisingly family friendly stayLocal exploring - Couldn't be better placed, right by Palais des Papes and 200 yards from the banks of the RhoneRecommended by - I Escape, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
An immaculately decorated and furnished former Cardinal's mansion in the city center. The suites will transport you back to another time with parquet floors, bold wallpapers, and sumptuous beds. Sit out in the sculpture filled courtyard enjoying the Michelin-starred cuisine. Chic and sophisticated. See More
Hotel des Deux Rocs Seillans 14 rooms from £65Foodies - The highly acclaimed restaurant serves Provençal cuisine using produce from carefully chosen local farmers, hunters & fishermenValue chic - With rooms starting at well below the 100 Euro mark, this is a well-priced option with standout food and elegant designActive Holiday - Whether you like to hike, cycle, climb, fish or sail — there is plenty to keep active with in the surrounding areaFamilies - The mezzanine style family suite is a spacious and affordable option for families
L'Enclos des Lauriers Roses Nimes (Gard) 23 rooms from £81Country Escape - With a tranquil setting, beautiful rural surrounds, and great food — this is an idyllic rural getawayFamilies - Kids will love the rooms with extra beds for children on a mezzanine plus the large pool and gardensGood wine list - There is a well stocked wine cellar with a collection of over 500 bottles for guests to choose fromLocal exploring - Well positioned for visits to Roman Provence, Avignon, beaches, rivers and hikingRecommended by - Sawdays