- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Best Boutique Hotels in Provence
Ah Provence! Of the lavender fields, dusty vineyards doused in sunshine, cuisine to savour at every meal, historic riches, picturesque hilltop villages, glamorous seaside resorts and exceptional views in every direction. So many of us would be there in a heartbeat…Don’t stop the daydream there, Provence is full of amazing places to stay, from villas, B&Bs, grand hotels, converted farms and châteaux, so why not have a look at some of our Guru’s recommendations for where to stay and build your Provençal escape into a reality? Searching amongst the best boutique hotels in Provence are a good place to start, as they have uncovered some exceptionally beautiful properties from all over the region and the price scale.
We have presented our Guru’s recommendations for the best boutique hotels in Provence by type of property rather than by location, but if you have an idea of where you’d like to base yourself you might like to visit one of our Guru’s Provençal Collections:
The Best Boutique Hotels in Provence
For a Provençal Escape
- Domaine de la Baume is a picture perfect country house in the hills of Provence, surrounded by vineyards, beehives and olive groves. There are just eight Toile du Jouy styled bedrooms and suites, but the restaurant and wine cellar are known through the region.
- La Maison d’Ulysse is a classic Provençal sandstone farmhouse turned small hotel. Surrounded by lavender fields and lemon groves. The hotel has a romantic atmosphere and a collection of rooms, suites and one apartment, all with huge bathtubs and nice details. And you’re close to all the charms of Uzès.
- Le Clos Saint Saourde, built into a rock face outside Beaumes de Venise, is a striking, five room hotel made up of a main building and cottages, surrounded by vineyards. The decor is rustic chic and the rooms have wrought iron beds, terraces and large bathrooms. There’s also an outdoor pool and lovely gardens.
The Most Romantic Boutique Hotels in Provence
- The Hotel Crillon le Brave in picturesque, hilltop Crillon le Brave, is a smart hotel spread throughout a cluster of atmospheric old buildings linked by cobbled alleys, with fine dining on the terrace and amazing views. This is a luxurious, elegant hotel with every comforts, including a pool and spa.
- The Château de Massillan is a beautifully renovated small château with turret bedrooms and elegant interiors. It's surrounded by parklands, a herb garden and lavender banks, and has a lovely lake, and an excellent restaurant serving regional cuisine.
- Benvengudo in Les Baux-de-provence is a majestic rural hotel brimming with Provençal elegance. The 28 rooms are tastefully decorated, as is the poolside cocktail bar. The food is inspired by regional cuisine.
- Maison Felisa in Saint-Laurent-des-Arbres is a fantastic country house with five rooms and a beautiful walled garden enclosing a pool and shady terraces. This is a great location for seeing the sights of Provence. And when you have you can return ‘home’ to your private jacuzzi bath.
Best Rural Boutique Hotels in Provence
- Le Mas de Peint is a 13 room country house retreat, wonderfully converted from an 18th century stable, in the heart of the wild Carmargue. The antique filled rooms and gourmet restaurant are a beautiful contrast to the great outdoors and wild coastline.
- The five room L'Artemise is a heavenly gastronomic restaurant with rooms on a hillside just outside Uzes, with lovely views and a lovely garden. The 'surprise' menu changes daily.
- La Cabro d’Or is a stunning farmhouse conversion with a five star rating and stunning parklands. The 25 rooms are contemporary with beautiful views and there’s a fabulous restaurant serving regional cuisine and an elegant bar. There’s a pool, tennis court and an excellent spa.
- Le Balcon des Alpilles in Aureille is a charming country house hotel in a lovely little village in the heart of Provence. The five rooms are romantic and rustic, with Provençal fabrics and stone floors. They offer fabulous buffet breakfasts and there’s a lovely terrace, pool and gardens.
The Best City Break Boutique Hotels in Provence
- The Hotel d’Europe, metres from the Palais des Papes in Avignon is a lovely grand old hotel tucked away in a square which is both central and serene. There are 44 rooms, finished with traditional elegance - fit for a bygone king, plus a Michelin starred restaurant.
- The Hotel Jules César in Arles has been converted from a 17th century Carmelite convent and has just recently been decorated by Christian Lacroix. There are 52 rooms a fabulous gourmet restaurant, outdoor pool bar, lounges, spa and fitness centre.
The Best Boutique Hotels in Provence for Foodies
- The Villa Augusta in Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux, is a fabulous hotel and restaurant surrounded by a parkland of cedar and olive trees. The 23 rooms mix traditional Provençal design with contemporary furnishings and all the mod. cons.. And of course there’s the fantastic gourmet cuisine in the fine dining restaurant. They also do wine tastings and truffling expeditions.
- The Hostellerie de L’Abbaye de la Celle in La Celle is a beautiful hotel set amongst vineyards, with elegant Louis XVI style furniture in its 14 rooms. The pool, gardens and terraces are picturesque and there’s a Michelin starred restaurant serving local produce.
- The Grand Hotel Henri in L'Isle sur La Sorgue, is an elegant, historic hotel in the centre of town with 17 timelessly decorated rooms and a courtyard restaurant brought to you by Michelin starred chef, Pascal Gin.
- Le Château des Alpilles is a truly magnificent hotel surrounded by a magnolia-filed park. There are 21 rooms in three buildings, The Manor, the Chapel and the Cypress Farm, which has been renovated into an apartment and a loft for families. All beautifully decorated. Then there are a choice of pools, two gourmet restaurants and private terraces.
The Best Value Boutique Hotels in Provence
- La Treille Muscate is a gorgeous converted stone country house in northern Provence with 12 rooms with pretty features. Some rooms have private terraces and views of the surrounding forest. There’s a superb restaurant and a bar with plenty of charm. Rooms start from around £60 per night.
- Similarly priced, but close to Aix-en-Provence, to the south is Une Campagne en Provence, a delightful country house B&B with features bordering on rustic boutique. There are just five rooms with exposed beams, terracotta floors and lovely bathrooms, plus there’s an outdoor pool in the cypress-laden garden. The food is good and there’s a mini-cinema in the cellar.
- If you’re looking for a great value Provençal city break then the Hôtel de l'Horloge in Avignon might for you. This elegant 19th century building on the main square now has 66 rooms, decorated with wood, wrought iron, wicker and sea grass.
- The family-run Les Florêts at the foot of the Dentelles de Montmirail, near Orange, is set in the heart of the owners' own vineyards. The Gigondas wine that they produce is available in the restaurant where many of the dishes on offer complement it beautifully. Homely furnishings with a delightful terrace for eating outside and excellent French service. Rooms start from around £70 per night.
- For around £85 per night you can stay in the Hotel Le Saint Laurent in Saint-Laurent-des-Arbes, a charming stone house converted into a seven room hotel. The decor is tastefully decorated in the Provençal style and there’s a lovely breakfast courtyard.
If you haven’t found your idea of the best boutique hotel in Provence on our Guru’s list, you could:
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Provence,
- consider our Guru’s guide to the best château hotels in Provence,
- or the best wine hotels in Provence,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.