The 10 Best Value Hotels on Lake Como
Lake Como is a spectacular natural beauty, sprinkled with pretty hamlets and elegant towns with lakeside villas. A feeling of tranquility pervades and there’s not a new-build hotel or a large highway to be seen. It’s got a reputation for being glamorous and somewhat expensive, but it doesn’t have to be.
Our Guru’s list of the best budget hotels on Lake Como even includes a great value recommendation in famed stunner, Bellagio and numerous choices in pretty Varenna, just a 15minute ferry ride away. If you do stay in Varenna or Bellagio don’t be disheartened by the prices in the waterfront bars and cafes, walk a little way up the hill and you’ll pay a couple of euros less for everything. In fact that advice probably goes for all the lakeside towns.
Swimming in the lake, admiring the view, hiking up into the hills and admiring the lake’s many beautiful villas and churches are all done with no outlay, and the ferries which jet to and fro across the lake are quite good value. It’s also easy to find inexpensive canoe or kayak hire, or bike hire, and travel under your own steam.
- The Hotel Florence in glamorous Bellagio is a stunning hotel with design mimicking its Florentine namesake. It has just 27 lovely rooms and sumptuous suites, with private balconies and spectacular views - of course! There’s also a gourmet restaurant and a spa, and all starting from around £130 per night (low season).
- For a similar room rate, one might also stay in the Relais Villa Vittoria, in Laglio, a wonderfully romantic hotel right on the edge of the lake. As well as beautiful views, this hotel has 11 delicately sumptuous rooms, an excellent restaurant, and peaceful terraces overlooking the lake. Perfect for honeymooners.
For a guesthouse
- The Casa Contrada Bella is a small guest house with three charming bedrooms - wrought iron bed heads, exposed wooden beams, exposed stone wall. Two of the rooms have a small kitchenette, and one has a balcony. Restaurants are within walking distance and the beach is just steps away.
- Cernobbio's Casa Santo Stefano is an elegant, adults only guest house decorated in modern style with four chic guest rooms. Each has a small private lounge area and some have balconies with lake views. Unwind by the pool after a day exploring the surrounding area, and help yourself to the honesty bar.
The Best Value B&BS on Lake Como
- The B&B Vista Lago is a quiet spot in the hills above the lake, so it’s the perfect place to escape to. There are just three rooms, each of them spacious and modern with its own sun terrace and panoramic lake views. It’s for adults only.
- The Nest on the Lake in Lezzeno is right by the lake with beautiful views from the five elegant rooms and self-catering apartments. Some of the rooms have four poster beds and private terraces, plus there’s a lovely sun deck and you can rent bikes and canoes.
- Owned by the same family for four generations, the Albergo Olivedo is a gorgeous ten room townhouse hotel right by the lake at Varenna. The decor is traditional, with stone floors, pastel walls and private balconies. Family friendly and laid back, the Albergo Olivedo also has a lovely little Italian restaurant. Rooms start from around £90 per night.
- Also in Varenna, the Albergo Milano is a charming hotel in an enchanting lakeside setting. There are a collection of 14 rooms, triples and apartments, all with stone floors, whitewashed walls and private balconies. There’s also a lovely restaurant. Rooms start at around £110 per night.
Still not sure which of our Guru’s recommendations for the 10 best value Lake Como hotels might be perfect for you?
- You might want to expand your search to include all the best places to stay on Lake Como?
- Or consider just the best hotels with a view on Lake Como? or Lake Como's best B&Bs? or the best family hotels on Lake Como?
- Or you might want to refine your search by location and search for just the best places to stay in Como?or the best places to Stay in Varenna?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
The 10 Best Value Hotels on Lake Como
Hotel Florence Bellagio 27 rooms from £139Romantic Break - Cruise on the lake or stroll through the countryside before unwinding in the small spa, perfect activities for a romantic breakFoodies - Dine on gourmet Italian dishes set on a pretty wisteria-shaded lakeside terraceOwner managed - The property has been in the same family for the past 100 yearsViews - Breathtaking views over Lake ComoRecommended by - CN Traveller
Relais Villa Vittoria Laglio 11 rooms from £182Weddings - Receptions and intimate marriages are regularly held here and can cater for up to 68 seated guestsTotal relaxation - Spend days lounging in the infinity pool overlooking the lake and mountains or unwind in the spaLocal exploring - Just a short paddle from the village of LaglioViews - Breathtaking views over Lake ComoRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, CN Traveller
Casa Contrada Bella Varenna 3 rooms from £113Romantic Break - A superb location, cosy rooms and suites and no children allowed make this ideal for romance!Groups - With just three rooms, this is a good choice if you want to rent out a place in its entiretyValue chic - Stylish rooms which start from just €130 per nightSights nearby - Situated in the historical centre of Varenna. 14th Century Church - Chiesa di San Giorgio is very close by
A small guest house with three charming bedrooms - wrought iron bed heads, exposed wooden beams, exposed stone wall. Two with a small kitchenette and one with a balcony. Restaurants within walking distance and the beach is just steps away. A great value base for exploring the area. See More
Nest on the Lake Lezzeno 5 rooms from £95Hideaway - The lakeside property feels secluded and quiet, perfect to get away from it allLocal exploring - Located an easy boat ride to Varenna and other attractionsViews - Wonderful views over Lake ComoSights nearby - Some of Como's most spectacular villas are very close by
Casa Santo Stefano Cernobbio 4 rooms from £142Romantic Break - Just four smart rooms with their own sitting areas and some with a terrace, this is a perfect spot for a romantic hideawayHideaway - The property has a hands-off approach to service making this feel like you are in your own homeCountry Escape - Find chic Scandinavian interiors in this pretty rural spot tucked away above CernobbioViews - Stunning views over Lake Como
Casa Santo Stefano is an elegant, adults only guest house decorated in modern style with four chic guest rooms. Each has a small private lounge area and some have balconies with lake views. Unwind by the pool after a day exploring the surrounding area, and help yourself to the honesty bar! See More
B&B Vista Lago Como 3 rooms from £152Romantic Break - With only three smart bedrooms, and no kids allowed, plus views to die for from your private terrace, it's perfect for romanticsLocal exploring - You can hire bikes or cars at the property, so it's an ideal base for exploring further afieldGreat walks - On the edge of Parco Regionale Spina Verde di Como, with fantastic walking on the doorstepSights nearby - Just outside Como and easy access to the best local sights.
This quiet B&B, set in the hills above Lake Como offers guests spacious, modern bedrooms, each with a private sun terrace and panoramic lake views. With just three rooms and no kids allowed, it is ideal for a romantic break or as a base for exploring the surrounding area. See More
Albergo Olivedo Varenna 10 rooms from £134Local exploring - Well located just 5 minutes from Varenna's pretty centre made up of winding cobbled streetsElegant - Traditional interiors see large sash windows, parquet flooring and antiquesSailing - Set on the Varenna jetty, this is a great base to explore the lake by boatOwner managed - Owned by the same family for four generationsRecommended by - Sawdays
Albergo Milano Varenna 14 rooms from £130Charming - Pick this property for a tradional stay, the oldest part of the building dates back to the 17th centuryFamilies - With 3 apartments sleeping up to 5 people, this is a great choice for families or small groupsOwner managed - The friendly owners, Bettina and Egidio, often greet their guests personallyLakeside - Take the short stroll down to the lake and go for a swimRecommended by - Sawdays