12 Great Value Hotels in Rome
Timeless, ageless, ever beautiful Rome is a must-see destination, and of course that means that sometimes you’re expected to pay for the privilege of experiencing this incredibly special city. Hotels in particular have a reputation for being pricey, but they don’t have to be, our Gurus have found some exceptionally great value hotels in Rome, and here's our recommendations for our top ten best value hotels in Rome.
P.S. If you’re looking for the very best offers from our Guru’s recommendations for 10 great value hotels in Rome then you might want to consider avoiding peak tourist season, which is June through August. If you travel at other times of year you’ll not only pay less for your accommodation, you’ll probably also queue for less time at each attraction. If you’re looking for great value restaurant recommendations to go with our 10 great value hotels in Rome, then just remember to get out of the tourist areas and ask the concierge or manager at your great value hotel for advice…
Great Value Hotels in Great Locations
- The Hotel Valadier is a classic modern hotel come to the Spanish Steps and the Villa Borghese. There are 67 rooms, three restaurants and a piano bar. There’s also a magnificent rooftop terrace. Plus, they have their own bikes for the use of guests. Rooms start from €130 per night including breakfast.
- For a similar room rate you could also choose to be closer to the Piazza Navona and the Vatican: staying at Due Torri, an historic and elegant, 26 room hotel converted from a villa once home to Cardinals, Bishops, and famous Roman families.
For a city break
- Residenza A is the perfect hotel for a reasonably priced Roman weekend. Chic and contemporary, there are just seven rooms, decorated with original art and muted colours. You’re close to many of the sights, plus you’re surrounded by shops and places to eat. Rooms start from €140 per night.
Great Value Romantic Hotels
- The Inn at The Roman Forum is a beautiful, 14 room guesthouse with classically modern decor, right by the Colosseum. There’s also a lovely rooftop terrace.
- The The Fifteen Keys Hotel is an elegant townhouse hotel with 15 stylish rooms arranged around a lovely central courtyard. The neighbourhood is charming, with a bohemian feel, and great access to all the major sights. Adults only.
- Villa Laetitia is a fashionable boutique hotel designed by the Fendi family, set amidst luscious gardens right by the Tiber. There are just 15 rooms, all decorated with careful attention to detail, and lovely living spaces with an Art Deco feel. Rooms start at around €145 per night.
Great Value Family Hotels
Just steps from the Trevi fountain, the Daphne Inn has a collection of rooms, suites, family rooms and one apartment, decorated in a contemporary style in creams, bronzes and browns. There’s a great breakfast room and they offer bike rental as well. Rooms start from €90 per night.
For a similar room rate you could also stay at the Hotel Modigliani, which has 23 attractive rooms, suites, family rooms and one apartment around a lovely inner courtyard. Some rooms have private terraces. The decor is elegant with pops of colour and modern art. It’s also very well located.
Great Value Luxury Hotels
- The Hotel Campo de 'Fiori is a beautiful boutique hotel with views over Rome’s skyline. There are 23 romantically decorated rooms with canopied beds, frescoed ceilings, and antique furniture, plus a wonderful roof terrace.
Great Value B&Bs
- The Althea Inn is a three roomed penthouse B&B off the beaten track in the artistic Testaccio area. Rooms are spacious and whitewashed and there’s a lovely private balcony. Rooms start from €80 per night.
- For a similar room rate you can afford to stay in the centre of town, in the Hotel de Monti, which has seven bright, comfortable rooms set between the train station and the Colosseum.
- If you want to be right in the heart of things, by the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain, try the Residenza Frattina, a charming townhouse with 13 neutrally decorated bedrooms with nice original features, such as stone floors, fireplaces and exposed beams. Charming and friendly as well, and all from only €117 per night.
Still not sure which to book?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Rome,
- or the best B&Bs in Rome, or the best Family Hotels in Rome,
- or the 15 best boutique hotels in Rome, which includes some great value boutique hotels in Rome.
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Hotel Valadier Rome 67 rooms from £113Local exploring - Well located in the heart of historic Rome just a short walk from the ColosseumCity Style - With elegant design and its own piano bar this is a grand central stayGood wine list - Four hundred different wine labelsSights nearby - The Vatican City and Colosseum are three kilometres away but it's a pleasant walk or a short taxi ride
Classic hotel with modern comforts next to Piazza del Popolo and close to the Spanish Steps & Villa Borghese. Three restaurants and a piano bar. The magnificent roof terrace has wonderful views of Rome. Cool bar and classy restaurant Hi-Res with gourmet cuisine. Great location for a short stay. See More
Due Torri Rome 26 rooms from £104Local exploring - Location is perfect for those wishing to emerce themsevles in Rome and explore like a local.Historic - Previously the building housed Cardinals, Bishops, and famous noble Roman famillies.Families - Four small apartments are ideal for accommodating families.Great walks - Right in the historic heart of Rome, wander the streets and get a feel for the Eternal City.
Residenza A Rome 7 rooms from £121City Style - Central Roman location, close to Trevi fountain, Colosseum, Vatican and St Peter's Square. Rome's eateries and shops nearbySights nearby - National Gallery of Ancient Art, Villa Borghese, and Spanish Steps. Also nearby are Borghese Gallery and BioparcoLocal markets - Campo dei Fiori market, Campagna Amica Market, Porta Portese Flea MarketRestrictions on children - This is an adults only property
The Inn at The Roman Forum Rome 14 rooms from £160Romantic Break - As the name suggests this property is just a stones throw from one of Rome's major attraction, the Roman ForumHideaway - It may be in the heart of the city, but the quiet alley it sits on feels hiddenSights nearby - Located between the Roman forum and the Colosseum and there's many other attractions in walking distanceRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels
The Fifteen Keys Hotel Rome 15 rooms from £133Local exploring - An ideal location for getting to know Rome from its major attractions to its boutiques, galleries and local eateries.Sights nearby - Great location in the Monti district, just 10 mins walk from the ColosseumRestrictions on children - This is an adults only propertyRecommended by - Tablet
An elegant townhouse hotel with stylish accommodation and an unpretentious feel. Enjoy alfresco breakfasts in the garden courtyard. Located in a charming neighbourhood, the area has a bohemian feel with great antique shops and good coffee spots and is close to major attractions. See More
Villa Laetitia Rome 15 rooms from £126Local exploring - Well placed just a 15 minute stroll from Piazza del PopoloCity Style - A very chic stay designed by one of the Fendi sistersSights nearby - 15 mins walk to the Piazza del Popolo and easy access to the VaticanLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Fashionable boutique hotel designed by the Fendi family. Set in luscious gardens alongside the river Tiber. Attention to detail throughout the rooms and living areas is spectacular - marble pillars, antique fabrics, black and white chequered flooring, 1930s art deco furniture. Tranquil and trendy. See More
Daphne Inn Rome 19 rooms from £78Value chic - With contemporary design and a chic wine bar, you'll be sure to be getting alot of bang for your buck hereLocal exploring - Located minutes from Piazza Barbarini right in Rome’s historic centreGreat walks - Wander through ancient Rome finishing at the ColosseumSights nearby - Superb location very close to the Trevi FountainRecommended by - I Escape
Hotel Modigliani Rome 23 rooms from £78Groups - Three of the self-catered apartments sleep up to six people, making this ideal for small groupsLocal exploring - Located down a quiet street just five minutes’ walk from the Spanish StepsSights nearby - Bang in the centre of Rome, close to both Trevi Fountain and Spanish StepsLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Sawdays
Very attractive hotel with a gorgeous inner courtyard. Elegant bedrooms, suites, family rooms and one apartment with flashes of Florentine fabric, white washed walls, modern art works, and private terraces. Fresh flowers adorn every room. Romantic, family friendly, and very artistic. See More
Hotel Campo de 'Fiori Rome 23 rooms from £135City Style - For an elegant and traditianally Italian stay, it doesn't get much better than thisGroups - With 11 apartments to rent sleeping from 2 - 5, this is ideal for small groupsRomantic Break - This is a classic and undeniably romantic stay brimming with Old World charmLocal markets - Enjoy the morning market at the Piazza Campo de Fiori
Althea Inn Rome 6 rooms from £69Local exploring - Despite being in a leafy and quiet neighbourhood, the Colosseum and Imperial Forum are within walking distanceValue chic - The appealing rates come as a pleasant surpirse in this sophisticated and elegant hotelSights nearby - Located in the Testaccio area, renowned for its art galleries. Walking distance from the Colosseum and Piazza Venezia
Secluded penthouse B&B off the beaten track with spacious rooms, whitewashed walls, simple décor and the piece de resistance, a flower-filled private balcony on which to relax and enjoy an aperitivo as the sun goes down. A great budget choice and for those wanting to sample out-of-the-way Rome. See More
Hotel de Monti Rome 7 rooms from £64Local exploring - In the heart of the city this bolthole has a concierge service which will book tickets to events and monuments for youValue chic - Located in the central Monti district this chic little hotel comes with very attractive ratesSights nearby - Central location between Rome train station and the ColosseumLocal markets - Sample local produce at Trajan’s Market