- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Best beach hotels in the Canary Islands
With year-round guaranteed sunshine, mainly golden-yellow or powder-white beaches, and only a four-hour flight from the UK, not surprisingly the Canary Islands are one of Britain’s top holiday destinations. The islands also offer a range of water sports, including surfing, windsurfing and snorkelling. And some of the best beach hotels in the Canary Islands are particularly geared to families with children’s clubs, playgrounds and separate children’s pools.
But which island?
- Lanzarote offers the steadiest of climates so is always a safe bet. Its popular resorts are Playa Grande at Puerto del Carmen, just south of Arrecife, the capital, and Playa Blanca, an attractive modern resort and close to the lovely coves of Punta del Papagayo.
- Close to Lanzarote, Fuerteventura offers what many consider some of the Canary Islands’ finest white-sand beaches.
- In Tenerife, the south-west resorts of Los Cristianos, Playa de las Américas and Costa Adeje offer plenty of soft-white sands, a vast array of hotels and 24-hour fun.
- Gran Canaria has a good range of purpose-built beach resorts.
- The small island of La Palma is relatively untouched by mass tourism and offers a superb black-sand beach at Puerto Naos
- while the even smaller island of La Gomera offers a dramatic forest-and-cliff landscape with tiny, pristine beaches.
Equally popular in winter as well as the traditional holiday periods, the best beach hotels in the Canary Islands can get snapped up quickly.
Best beach hotels in the Canary Islands
- Close to the beach on the east coast, Barcelo Castillo Beach Resort offers excellent water sports, three pools, al fresco dining and crisp, contemporary rooms and suites.
- The adults-only Avanti Boutique Hotel, a stone’s throw from the beach, oozes white urban-chic and rooms feature private sun-decks, and hot tubs.
- Wrapped in gardens and with lovely sea-views, Hacienda de Abajo is a historical villa with graciously furnished romantic bedrooms.
- With a stunning cliff-top location, the vast Jardin Tecina offers mesmerising sea views - and across to Mount Teide on Tenerife - contemporary-style rooms, five pools and huge gardens.
- The magnificent Princess Yaiza Suite Resort Hotel, at Playa Blanca, offers five-star luxury from the balconied contemporary-style rooms and eight restaurants to the large spa, sports facilities and six pools.
- In the country yet close to the beach on the north-west coast, Finca Las Longueras has delightfully traditional rooms, a beautiful pool and lush, palm-tree-dotted gardens.
- There’s no shortage of activities at the five-star Grand Hotel Residencia near Maspalomas. Next to a golf course and with a spa, tennis courts, several pools and a gourmet restaurant, you might find it hard to find time to make it to the beach!
- The sprawling Villa Cortes in Playa de las Américas has all you could want for a luxury beach holiday with six restaurants, four bars, a spa, private cabanas, richly furnished rooms and a vast pool with waterfalls.
- Close to the beach but surrounded by banana plantations, Hotel Rural el Navio offers simple but charming rooms - some with balconies or terraces - and a pool.
Nothing here that fits the bill?
- Check out all our Canary Island recommendations,
- or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Barcelo Castillo Beach Resort 382 rooms from $133Caleta De Fuste, Fuerteventura
An excellent seaside resort on the east coast of Fuerteventura. Brimming with facilities, the hotel has plush rooms, several restaurants, three swimming pools and an onsite theatre. Packed with activities and large suites, it's perfect for a family holiday to Fuerteventura.Families - Packed with sports facilities, as well as a kids club and large family rooms it's a perfect getaway for all the family.Beach Life - Just two minutes walk from the beach, with access to a whole load of watersports facilities.Fishing - Fishing trips can be organised by the hotel and are a great way to explore the coast.Kids Club - Fully staffed.
Avanti Boutique Hotel 15 rooms from $189Corralejo, Fuerteventura
Urban chic hotel in the idyllic coastal town of Corralejo. Rooms are light and modern, with white washed walls, fresh cotton linen and glorious private sun decks looking out to the Atlantic. With a restaurant, bar, hot tub. Only suitable for adults aged 16 or over. Great central town location.Restrictions on children - Strictly adults onlyViews - To Atlantic OceanHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.
Hacienda de Abajo 32 rooms from $279Villa y Puerto de Tazacorte, La Palma
A stunning historic villa set in luscious gardens with wonderful sea views. Boutique chic interiors boast antique furniture and a colonial ambience. Romantic bedrooms and suites have four poster beds, wooden floors, and sumptuous fabrics. Excellent restaurant, spa and pool. Highly romantic.LuxuryBeach LifeRomantic BreakViews - Great views from hotel
Jardin Tecina 460 rooms from $155San Sebastián de la Gomera, La Gomera
A stunning cliff top beach resort. A perfect spot for sports enthusiasts; golf, tennis, swimming, volley ball and watersports. Elegant contemporary rooms and suites with private balconies and sea views. Excellent restaurant, bar, swimming pool, beauty centre and spa. Ideal for families.Views - Stunning views over the Atlantic Ocean towards Tenerife and Mount TiedeActive HolidayBeach LifeSwimming Pool - Five swimming poolsRecommended by - CN Traveller
Princesa Yaiza Suite Resort Hotel 385 rooms from $290Playa Blanca, Lanzarote
A deluxe seaside resort brimming with five-star quality. The elegant rooms exude simple style with contemporary furnishings and balconies overlooking the bay and gardens. With eight restaurants, an extensive spa, six outdoor pools and countless sports facilities, there is something for everyone.Families - With large rooms, a kids club, a playground, a spa, bar and games room, it's perfect for a family holiday to Lanzarote.Beach Life - Three minutes walk from the beach with access to snorkelling, diving, and swimming.Diving - The hotel can organise diving expeditions along the surrounding coastline.Views - Great views from hotel
Finca Las Longueras 10 rooms from $120Agaete, Gran Canaria
A traditional finca in a rural setting, but close to the beach. A gorgeous red country house with old fashioned, but elegant rooms. Lush green gardens, pool, and an excellent table d'hote. Great value and family friendly.Great walks - Great walking on the doorstep for all abilities.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool surrounded by palm treesBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - I Escape
Hotel Rural El Navio 8 rooms from $114Alcalá, Tenerife
A charming little hotel on the coastline surrounded by banana plantations and seaviews. Basic, but characterful rooms have stone floors, iron beds, attractive rugs, and private balconies. A lovely rural spot close to the beaches and mountain areas.Views - Great views from hotelSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorTraditionalGreat walks - Good for walkers.