16 of the Best Hotels on the Canary Islands for Families
The Canary Islands are a near perfect family holiday destination. The climate is subtropical and there’s plenty of sunshine, the coastlines of these seven islands are beautiful and varied, there are national parks, impressive volcanic mountains, and there’s plenty of cultural appeal and local colour. The Canary Islands are also well developed for family travel, so our Gurus had plenty of choice when it came to curating their recommendations for the best hotels on the Canary Islands for families.
But that doesn’t mean choosing family friendly hotels on the Canary Islands is a simple task. Each of the islands has its own charm, and they’re all quite different, so you’ll have to choose your island to begin with.
Tenerife is the largest and busiest, this is where you’ll find the Pico del Teide volcano and, on the beaches to the quieter north coast, the famous black volcanic sand. Gran Canaria offers everything from ever-changing sand-dunes to verdant valleys and wonderful beaches along the eastern coast, on a mini-continent with its numerous micro-climates. Lanzarote feels the most tropical, with whitewashed, flat-roofed houses in small hamlets and fishing villages, in amongst the strange, almost lunar landscapes and the golden sandy beaches.
Tiny La Gomera offers laurel forests and banana plantations, rather than the usual resort lined beaches, with a steep volcano and impressive rocky gorges. Fuerteventura is the closest island to Africa and probably the most colourful, with its long stretches of sand backed by a volcanic backdrop. And remote El Hierro, in the middle of the Atlantic, is a UNESCO geopark with a rocky coastline and a slow pace.
16 of the Best Hotels on the Canary Islands for Families
The Best Beach Hotels on the Canary Islands for Families
- If you want all the bells and whistles, including the pick of eight restaurants, numerous bars, acres of private subtropical gardens and direct beach access then the Bahia del Duque is for you. There are around 350 rooms, suites and deluxe private villas in this complex, but there’s around six acres of land, so you’ll certainly not be cramped.
- The Hotel Santa Catalina in Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, is a great value beach resort with excellent facilities. There are around two hundred rooms and suites to choose from, many of them with sea views, plus a choice of restaurants and pools, lovely gardens and direct beach access.
- The Baobab Suites just outside Costa Adeje on Tenerife, is a collection of 125 cutting-edge contemporary suites and apartments with minimalist decor and white colour schemes. The seafaring suites have decked balconies, and you can also have a private pool and hot tub. There’s also a kid’s club offering lots of different activities.
- The Hotel Botanico in Puerto de la Cruz on Tenerife is a five-star spa hotel with lovely sea views. There are around 250 simple, yet elegant rooms, suites and penthouse suites, some with private balconies and hot tubs. Plus an excellent restaurant and kid’s club, and you’re surrounded by tropical gardens.
The Canary Island's Best Value Hotels for Families
- The Finca Marisa is a cheerful, traditional B&B in the tiny village of Tina on Lanzarote. There are just five rooms and a communal terrace with wonderful views of the mountains. Rooms start from around £45 per night.
- For around £55 per night you can stay at the Hotel El Patio in Garachio, Tenerife. It’s close to the beach and surrounded by nature reserves and there are 26 fairly traditional, yet elegant rooms in pastel colours. There’s also a pool, gardens and a terrace.
- Fonda de la Tea is a great value option on Gran Canaria, set in the hills with stunning valley views from its 11 rooms and one villa. All have private balconies and there are also gorgeous communal terraces and a pool. Rooms start from around £75 per night.
- Also on Gran Canaria, the Hotel el Mondalon is a traditional finca with ten rooms, a pretty garden, heated pool and excellent restaurant, right by a national park.
Best Rural Hotels for Families on the Canary Islands
- The Eco Finca de Arrieta is a relaxed eco-escape on Lanzarote with accommodation ranging from magnificent, marble-floored yurts to eco villas or ‘eco towers’. The complex is surrounded by mango, banana and lime groves and there’s a playground and trampoline for the kids.
- If you’re looking for a small, family-friendly getaway oasis, then Casa Tomarén on Lanzarote might be for you. There are six luxurious, Moroccan-feeling villas surrounded by vineyards, orchards and beautiful gardens. You’re close to the beach and they offer a babysitting service.
- If you want to be close to the beach, the Finca las Longueras on Gran Canaria is a nice choice. This traditional, bright red coloured country house has 10 elegant rooms, lush gardens, a pool and an excellent table d’hote.
- La Casona del Patio on Tenerife is a quaint, easy-going hotel converted from a lovely 17th century manor house. There are 20 comfortable rooms with some nice antiques and a wonderful seafood restaurant specialising in traditional dishes.
The Best Family Resorts on the Canary Islands
- Lopesan Villa del Conde Resort on Gran Canaria is a magnificent seaside resort with luxurious details. There’s a Basque-French restaurant, a huge spa and even a piano bar and live music venue to share between those staying in these 560 rooms and suites, plus beautiful lagoon pools and direct beach access.
- Fuerteventura’s Barcelo Castillo Beach Resort is a great value seaside resort bribing with activities. There are 382 plush rooms, three pools an onsite theatre and a range of restaurants to choose from.
- The Jardin Tecina on La Gomera is an elegant, clifftop beach resort with around 460 rooms and suites with private balconies and sea views. There’s an excellent restaurant, bars and pools and a beauty centre and spa. There’s also plenty of activists on offer - golf, tennis, volleyball and all kinds of watersports.
If you haven't found the perfect sprot for your family on our Guru's list of 16 of the Best Hotels on the Canary Islands for Families you could:
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay on the Canary Islands?
- Or refine your search by island and consider only the best places to stay on Gran Canaria? or the best places to stay on Tenerife? or the best places to stay on Lanzarote?
- Or you could refine your search by the kind of hotel you fancy and check out our Guru's recommendations for the 10 of the Best Beach hotels in the Canary Islands? or for 7 Great Guesthouses and B&Bs in the Canary Islands? or the 12 of the Best Rural Hotels in the Canary Islands?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
16 of the Best Hotels on the Canary Islands for Families
Finca Marisa Tinajo, Lanzarote 5 rooms from £43Great walks - Excellent walking trails in the Montañas de Fuego Mountains.Sights nearby - Visit the Campesino Monument.Traditional
Cheerful, traditional B&B in the small village of Tinajo. The traditional rooms are spacious and comfortable and from the communal terrace there are great mountain views. Take a day trip to Timanfaya National Park or hire a bicycle and go to La Santa. An excellent low budget option. See More
Bahia Del Duque Costa Adeje, Tenerife 356 rooms from £436Families - Family heaven, with huge private villas, a playground, a pool and babysitting, as well as a range of bars and spa treatments.Foodies - Dine in the superb Michelin-starred Nub restaurant which merges Chilean, Italian and traditional Tinerfeño cuisineBeach Life - With direct private access to the whole of the Del Duque beach, on the most exclusive stretch of the Costa Adeje.Great walks - Take a walk through the extensive botanical gardens and down to the beach.
Baobab Suites Costa Adeje, Tenerife 125 rooms from £223Families - The freedom of an apartment, combined with the luxury of a hotel, with free kids club, children's menu and year round sun.Romantic Break - Pamper yourselves with deluxe seafacing suites, boasting decked balconies, private pools, hot tubs and excellent food.Great walks - Take a day trip to El Teide, a magnificent natural park full of great walking trails.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - I Escape
A spectacular ultra-modern hotel on the outskirts of Costa Adeje. The suites boast cutting-edge contemporary design features, minimalist furnishings and chic white colour schemes. Relax by the pristine swimming pools or enjoy cosmopolitan Canarian cuisine. A suave seaside escape. See More
Lopesan Villa Del Conde Resort Las Meloneras, Gran Canaria 561 rooms from £238Families - Perfect for a family holiday, with a kids club, playground, large suites, as well as an extensive spa for mum and dad.Beach Life - Right on the beach, with plenty of spots to splash around, and access to all kinds of watersports.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Maspalomas Lighthouse a fascinating sight steeped in island history.Kids Club - Fully staffed.
A magnificent seaside resort exuding an effortless aura of style and class. Luxury at every turn with highlights including its Basque-French restaurant, extensive spa and lively music venue. Relax by the one of lagoon pools or explore the surrounding coastline. Five-star excellence. See More
Hotel Botanico Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife 252 rooms from £143Views - Fantastic views of the Atlantic Ocean and Mount TeideBeach Life5* Luxury - Very high service standards.City StyleRecommended by - CN Traveller
A FIve Star spa hotel in the city centre with lovely sea views, excellent restaurants, kids club, penthouse suites, and botanical gardens. Simple yet elegant rooms and suites have private balconies, some with hot tubs, all the mod cons, and far reaching views out to sea. A luxury beach holiday. See More
Hotel el Patio Garachico, Tenerife 26 rooms from £82Value chicTennis - Astro turf court on siteSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorTraditionalRecommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Fonda de la Tea Tejeda, Gran Canaria 11 rooms from £78Views - Stunning valley views.Families - One house sleeps 4.Great walks - Explore the wonderful walking in the volcanic heart of the islandSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Sawdays
A hiker's haven set in the mountains with stunning valley views. Charming traditional rooms and one villa (sleeps 4) with private balconies. Gorgeous terraces, swimming pool, local restaurant, and plenty of outdoor pursuits and quaint mountain villages to explore. Ideal for families. See More
Hotel el Mondalon Los Hoyos, Gran Canaria 10 rooms from £78Value chicRestaurant - Traditional dishes with many of the ingredients grown on the hotel's land.Great walks - Wonderful walking on the doorstepSwimming Pool - Heated poolRecommended by - I Escape
La Casona del Patio Santiago del Teide, Tenerife 20 rooms from £85Local exploring - Off the beaten track, ideal for exploring the stunning surrounding coastline, Teno Mountains and Chinyero Nature Reserve.Families - With family rooms, a special kids menus, and plenty of room for running around, it's perfect for a family holiday.Great walks - There are plenty of beautiful options for walking in the nearby Teno Mountains and Chinyero Nature ReserveSights nearby - Visit the stunning seaside village of Garachico, once submerged in lava.
A quaint and easy-going hotel, set in a restored 17th century manor house. The comfortable rooms boast a lovely blend of wooden vaulted ceilings, stone floors, funky furniture and antiques. Enjoy traditional recipes at the tasty seafood restaurant brimming with character and unpretentious charm. See More
Eco Finca de Arrieta Arrieta, Lanzarote 12 rooms from £87Families - The group accommodation and self-catering suites are ideal for families, plus playground and trampoline for the kids.Eco break - Eco-friendly destination, completely off the grid powered by wind turbines and solar panels.Beach Life - Just 300m from a golden sandy beachKayaking - A nearby watersports specialist offers sea kayak safari's, a totally new way to explore the coast.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Finca Las Longueras Agaete, Gran Canaria 10 rooms from £91Great walks - Great walking on the doorstep for all abilities.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool surrounded by palm treesBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - I Escape
Casa Tomarén Mozag, Lanzarote 7 rooms from £98Families - Ideal for a family getaway, self catering villas with pool access, close to the beaches and babysitters on standby!Birdwatching - La Geria,the neighbouring nature reserve is an ideal spot for birdwatching.Great walks - Explore the national park and volcanic peaks.Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolRecommended by - I Escape
Barcelo Castillo Beach Resort Caleta De Fuste, Fuerteventura 382 rooms from £101Families - Packed with sports facilities, as well as a kids club and large family rooms it's a perfect getaway for all the family.Beach Life - Just two minutes walk from the beach, with access to a whole load of watersports facilities.Tennis - Enjoy a game of tennis on one of the hotel's multiple courts.Fishing - Fishing trips can be organised by the hotel and are a great way to explore the coast.
An excellent seaside resort on the east coast of Fuerteventura. Brimming with facilities, the hotel has plush rooms, several restaurants, three swimming pools and an onsite theatre. Packed with activities and large suites, it's perfect for a family holiday to Fuerteventura. See More
Hotel Santa Catalina Las Palmas de Gran Canaria 202 rooms from £148Beach LifeFamiliesWeddingsRestaurant - Award winning La Terraza gourmet restaurant
Jardin Tecina San Sebastián de la Gomera, La Gomera 460 rooms from £118Views - Stunning views over the Atlantic Ocean towards Tenerife and Mount TiedeBeach LifeActive HolidaySwimming Pool - Five swimming poolsRecommended by - CN Traveller
A stunning cliff top beach resort. A perfect spot for sports enthusiasts; golf, tennis, swimming, volley ball and watersports. Elegant contemporary rooms and suites with private balconies and sea views. Excellent restaurant, bar, swimming pool, beauty centre and spa. Ideal for families. See More