The Best Hotels on the Canary Islands for Families
The Canary Islands are a near perfect family holiday destination. The climate is subtropical and there’s plenty of sunshine, the coastlines of these seven islands are beautiful and varied, there are national parks, impressive volcanic mountains, and there’s plenty of cultural appeal and local colour. The Canary Islands are also well developed for family travel, so our Gurus had plenty of choice when it came to curating their recommendations for the best hotels on the Canary Islands for families.
But that doesn’t mean choosing family friendly hotels on the Canary Islands is a simple task. Each of the islands has its own charm, and they’re all quite different, so you’ll have to choose your island to begin with.
Tenerife is the largest and busiest, this is where you’ll find the Pico del Teide volcano and, on the beaches to the quieter north coast, the famous black volcanic sand. Gran Canaria offers everything from ever-changing sand-dunes to verdant valleys and wonderful beaches along the eastern coast, on a mini-continent with its numerous micro-climates. Lanzarote feels the most tropical, with whitewashed, flat-roofed houses in small hamlets and fishing villages, in amongst the strange, almost lunar landscapes and the golden sandy beaches.
Tiny La Gomera offers laurel forests and banana plantations, rather than the usual resort lined beaches, with a steep volcano and impressive rocky gorges. Fuerteventura is the closest island to Africa and probably the most colourful, with its long stretches of sand backed by a volcanic backdrop. And remote El Hierro, in the middle of the Atlantic, is a UNESCO geopark with a rocky coastline and a slow pace.
Best beach hotels for families
- The Hotel Santa Catalina in Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, is a great value beach resort with excellent facilities. There are around two hundred rooms and suites to choose from, many of them with sea views, plus a choice of restaurants and pools, lovely gardens and direct beach access.
- If you want all the bells and whistles, including the pick of eight restaurants, numerous bars, acres of private subtropical gardens and direct beach access then the Bahia del Duque is for you. There are around 350 rooms, suites and deluxe private villas in this complex, but there’s around six acres of land, so you’ll certainly not be cramped.
- The Baobab Suites just outside Costa Adeje on Tenerife, is a collection of 125 cutting-edge contemporary suites and apartments with minimalist decor and white colour schemes. The seafaring suites have decked balconies, and you can also have a private pool and jacuzzi. There’s also a kid’s club offering lots of different activities.
- The Hotel Botanico in Puerto de la Cruz on Tenerife is a five-star spa hotel with lovely sea views. There are around 250 simple, yet elegant rooms, suites and penthouse suites, some with private balconies and hot tubs. Plus an excellent restaurant and kid’s club, and you’re surrounded by tropical gardens.
Best Value Hotels for Families
- The Finca Marisa is a cheerful, traditional B&B in the tiny village of Tina on Lanzarote. There are just five rooms and a communal terrace with wonderful views of the mountains. Rooms start from around £45 per night.
- For around £55 per night you can stay at the Hotel El Patio in Garachio, Tenerife. It’s close to the beach and surrounded by nature reserves and there are 26 fairly traditional, yet elegant rooms in pastel colours. There’s also a pool, gardens and a terrace.
- Fonda de la Tea is a great value option on Gran Canaria, set in the hills with stunning valley views from its 11 rooms and one villa. All have private balconies and there are also gorgeous communal terraces and a pool. Rooms start from around £75 per night.
- Also on Gran Canaria, the Hotel el Mondalon is a traditional finca with ten rooms, a pretty garden, heated pool and excellent restaurant, right by a national park.
Best Rural Hotels for Families
- If you’re looking for a small, family-friendly getaway oasis, then Casa Tomarén on Lanzarote might be for you. There are six luxurious, Moroccan-feeling villas surrounded by vineyards, orchards and beautiful gardens. You’re close to the beach and they offer a babysitting service.
- The Eco Finca de Arrieta is a relaxed eco-escape on Lanzarote with accommodation ranging from magnificent, marble-floored yurts to eco villas or ‘eco towers’. The complex is surrounded by mango, banana and lime groves and there’s a playground and trampoline for the kids.
- If you want to be close to the beach, the Finca las Longueras on Gran Canaria is a nice choice. This traditional, bright red coloured country house has 10 elegant rooms, lush gardens, a pool and an excellent table d’hote.
- La Casona del Patio on Tenerife is a quaint, easy-going hotel converted from a lovely 17th century manor house. There are 20 comfortable rooms with some nice antiques and a wonderful seafood restaurant specialising in traditional dishes.
Best Resort Hotels for Families
- Lopesan Villa del Conde Resort on Gran Canaria is a magnificent seaside resort with luxurious details. There’s a Basque-French restaurant, a huge spa and even a piano bar and live music venue to share between those staying in these 560 rooms and suites, plus beautiful lagoon pools and direct beach access.
- Fuerteventura’s Barcelo Castillo Beach Resort is a great value seaside resort bribing with activities. There are 382 plush rooms, three pools an onsite theatre and a range of restaurants to choose from.
- The Jardin Tecina on La Gomera is an elegant, clifftop beach resort with around 460 rooms and suites with private balconies and sea views. There’s an excellent restaurant, bars and pools and a beauty centre and spa. There’s also plenty of activists on offer - golf, tennis, volleyball and all kinds of watersports.
- The Hesperia Lanzarote near the Timanfaya National Park on Lanzarote, is a luxury seaside resort with around 330 modern rooms and suites, many offering stunning sea views. This is a great hotel for watersports and actives, with tennis, volleyball, squash courts, mini-golf, a choice of pools and kid’s club and playground.
Still not sure which one of our Guru’s recommendations for the best hotels on the Canary Islands for families might be perfect for you?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay on the Canary Islands,
- Or use our Guru’s Canary Islands Collections to refine your search:
- The Best Places to Stay on Gran Canaria
- The Best Places to Stay on Lanzarote
- The Best Places to Stay on Tenerife
- The Best Places to Stay on Fuerteventura
- The Best Places to Stay on La Gomera
- The Best Places to Stay on El Hierro
or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Finca Marisa 5 rooms from £44Tinajo, Lanzarote
Cheerful, traditional B&B in the small village of Tinajo. The traditional rooms are spacious and comfortable and from the communal terrace there are great mountain views. Take a day trip to Timanfaya National Park or hire a bicycle and go to La Santa. An excellent low budget option.Great walks - Excellent walking trails in the Montañas de Fuego Mountains.Sights nearby - Visit the Campesino Monument.Traditional
Bahia Del Duque 356 rooms from £441Costa Adeje, Tenerife
A stellar beachside resort that will cater to everyones needs with grace, style, and aplomb. All the creature comforts of a five-star hotel including deluxe private villas and eight restaurants set on six hectares of incredible subtropical gardens. A seaside stunner.Families - Family heaven, with huge private villas, a playground, a pool and babysitting, as well as a range of bars and spa treatments.Beach Life - With direct private access to the whole of the Del Duque beach, on the most exclusive stretch of the Costa Adeje.Great walks - Take a walk through the extensive botanical gardens and down to the beach.Opulent
Baobab Suites 125 rooms from £225Costa Adeje, Tenerife
A spectacular ultra-modern hotel on the outskirts of Costa Adeje. The suites boast cutting-edge contemporary design features, minimalist furnishings and chic white colour schemes. Relax by the pristine swimming pools or enjoy cosmopolitan Canarian cuisine. A suave seaside escape.Families - The freedom of an apartment, combined with the luxury of a hotel, with free kids club, children's menu and year round sun.Romantic Break - Pamper yourselves with deluxe seafacing suites, boasting decked balconies, private pools, jacuzzis and excellent food.Great walks - Take a day trip to El Teide, a magnificent natural park full of great walking trails.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - I Escape
Lopesan Villa Del Conde Resort 561 rooms from £289Las Meloneras, Gran Canaria
A magnificent seaside resort exuding an effortless aura of style and class. Luxury at every turn with highlights including its Basque-French restaurant, extensive spa and lively music venue. Relax by the one of lagoon pools or explore the surrounding coastline. Five-star excellence.Families - Perfect for a family holiday, with a kids club, playground, large suites, as well as an extensive spa for mum and dad.Beach Life - Right on the beach, with plenty of spots to splash around, and access to all kinds of watersports.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Maspalomas Lighthouse a fascinating sight steeped in island history.Kids Club - Fully staffed.
Hotel Botanico 252 rooms from £145Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife
A FIve Star spa hotel in the city centre with lovely sea views, excellent restaurants, kids club, penthouse suites, and botanical gardens. Simple yet elegant rooms and suites have private balconies, some with hot tubs, all the mod cons, and far reaching views out to sea. A luxury beach holiday.Views - Fantastic views of the Atlantic Ocean and Mount TeideFamilies5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Beach LifeRecommended by - CN Traveller
Hesperia Lanzarote 335 rooms from £142Puerto Calero, Lanzarote
A luxury seaside hotel with an emphasis on sports and activities. The modern rooms are plush and spacious, many with stunning sea views. Boasting onsite water sports facilities, tennis, volleyball and squash courts, it's perfect for an action-packed family holiday.Families - With a miniclub for children, lots of watersports facilities, mini golf, a playground and several pools its kiddie heaven!Great walks - Make the most of the lovely walking trails in the nearby Timanfaya National Park.Sights nearby - The hotel sits nine miles from the Campesino Monument.Kids Club - Fully staffed.
Hotel el Patio 26 rooms from £79Garachico, Tenerife
A sedate manor house set with lush grounds, close to the beach, and surrounded by nature reserves. Traditional elegant bedrooms have pastel painted walls and attractive furnishings. Swimming pool, terraces and gardens. A family spot at a great price.Value chicSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorGreat walks - Good for walkers.TraditionalRecommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Fonda de la Tea 11 rooms from £79Tejeda, Gran Canaria
A hiker's haven set in the mountains with stunning valley views. Charming traditional rooms and one villa (sleeps 4) with private balconies. Gorgeous terraces, swimming pool, local restaurant, and plenty of outdoor pursuits and quaint mountain villages to explore. Ideal for families.Views - Stunning valley views.Families - One house sleeps 4.Great walks - Explore the wonderful walking in the volcanic heart of the islandSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Sawdays
Hotel el Mondalon 10 rooms from £79Los Hoyos, Gran Canaria
A traditional finca near a natural park with fantastic facilities. Traditional chic rooms, pretty gardens and pool, excellent restaurant, fitness areas, spa therapies, and lots of family oriented activities. A great value spot for families.Value chicGreat walks - Wonderful walking on the doorstepSwimming Pool - Heated poolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape
La Casona del Patio 20 rooms from £86Santiago del Teide, Tenerife
A quaint and easy-going hotel, set in a restored 17th century manor house. The comfortable rooms boast a lovely blend of wooden vaulted ceilings, stone floors, funky furniture and antiques. Enjoy traditional recipes at the tasty seafood restaurant Brimming with character and unpretentious charm.Local exploring - Off the beaten track, ideal for exploring the stunning surrounding coastline, Teno Mountains and Chinyero Nature Reserve.Families - With family rooms, a special kids menus, and plenty of rooms for running around, it's perfect for a family holiday.Great walks - There are plenty of beautiful options for walking in the nearby Teno Mountains and Chinyero Nature ReserveSights nearby - Visit the stunning seaside village of Garachico, once submerged in lava.
Eco Finca de Arrieta 12 rooms from £88Arrieta, Lanzarote
Relaxed family-friendly eco escape. One can either stay in the eco tower, an eco villa or one of the magnificent marble-floored yurts surrounded by mango, banana and lime groves. The plethora of activities and proximity to the beach make it ideal for families or groups.Families - The group accommodation and self-catering suites are ideal for families, plus playground and trampoline for the kids.Eco break - Eco-friendly destination, completely off the grid powered by wind turbines and solar panels.Beach Life - Just 300m from a golden sandy beachKayaking - A nearby watersports specialist offers sea kayak safari's, a totally new way to explore the coast.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Finca Las Longueras 10 rooms from £92Agaete, Gran Canaria
A traditional finca in a rural setting, but close to the beach. A gorgeous red country house with old fashioned, but elegant rooms. Lush green gardens, pool, and an excellent table d'hote. Great value and family friendly.Great walks - Great walking on the doorstep for all abilities.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool surrounded by palm treesBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - I Escape
Casa Tomarén 7 rooms from £99Mozag, Lanzarote
Rural chic setting fitted with a film-star pool. Six luxury villas with Moroccan and Indonesian influences and surrounded by vineyards, orchards and gardens. A perfect oasis for families and groups of friends on the island for a relaxing holiday.Families - Ideal for a family getaway, self catering villas with pool access, close to the beaches and babysitters on standby!Birdwatching - La Geria,the neighbouring nature reserve is an ideal spot for birdwatching.Great walks - Explore the national park and volcanic peaks.Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolRecommended by - I Escape
Barcelo Castillo Beach Resort 382 rooms from £102Caleta De Fuste, Fuerteventura
An excellent seaside resort on the east coast of Fuerteventura. Brimming with facilities, the hotel has plush rooms, several restaurants, three swimming pools and an onsite theatre. Packed with activities and large suites, it's perfect for a family holiday to Fuerteventura.Families - Packed with sports facilities, as well as a kids club and large family rooms it's a perfect getaway for all the family.Beach Life - Just two minutes walk from the beach, with access to a whole load of watersports facilities.Fishing - Fishing trips can be organised by the hotel and are a great way to explore the coast.Kids Club - Fully staffed.
Hotel Santa Catalina 202 rooms from £149Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
A fantastic beach resort with excellent facilities. Rooms and suites simple in style with all the mod cons and sea views from balconies. Restaurants, swimming pools, spa, gardens and access to the beach. An excellent choice for families, beach goers, or weddings.FamiliesWeddingsBeach LifeSwimming Pool - Outdoor and Indoor Pools
Jardin Tecina 460 rooms from £119San Sebastián de la Gomera, La Gomera
A stunning cliff top beach resort. A perfect spot for sports enthusiasts; golf, tennis, swimming, volley ball and watersports. Elegant contemporary rooms and suites with private balconies and sea views. Excellent restaurant, bar, swimming pool, beauty centre and spa. Ideal for families.Views - Stunning views over the Atlantic Ocean towards Tenerife and Mount TiedeActive HolidayBeach LifeSwimming Pool - Five swimming poolsRecommended by - CN Traveller