20 of Scotland's Most Romantic Hotels
Scotland's ingredients of dramatic coast and sea, still lochs, sprawling fields and wild hills are second to none when it comes to natural beauty. Added to that are historic monuments, colourful towns, vibrant cities and a slew of very excellent restaurants - some in the least likely of places. Creating an often heady mix. So there is plenty to choose from when curating a list of Scotland’s most romantic hotels.
Firstly, Scotland has castles. Some of which have been converted into hotels. That’s pretty romantic. As are beautiful manor houses. And country house hotels, with their promise of peace, privacy and long lie ins are also hard to beat. Some of Scotland’s most romantic hotels are isolated, surrounded by stunning views and miles of uninhabited countryside.
While some of Scotland’s most romantic hotels are right in the thick of the action in Edinburgh and Glasgow. We all have a different idea of the romantic idyll but our Gurus have done a great job assessing decor, sampling menus, trying out four-poster beds and testing the water in roll top baths and hot tubs, and have come up with some seriously special properties. Perfect for just the two of you.
20 of Scotland’s Most Romantic Hotels
Scotland’s Most Romantic City Break Hotels
- Edinburgh's The Witchery by the Castle is superbly located right by the gates of the castle, right on the Royal Mile. It’s an intimate, nine room hotel with Gothic details - think wood panelling and plenty of velvet and candlelight. The food is Scottish and the restaurant it atmospheric.
- The Scotsman Hotel is an historic hotel overlooking Edinburgh Castle. Once the headquarters for The Scotsman newspaper, the building now has 59 rooms, a world class spa and gym and a Michelin starred restaurant.
- The Dunstane Houses is ideally located just a short walk from Haymarket and yet only 15 minutes from Edinburgh Airport. Book the Dunstane suite for truly romantic time and luxuriate in the copper bath with a view!
- The Balmoral is sophisticated and stylish, with a Michelin starred restaurant, a comprehensive spa and wonderful views of Edinburgh. There are 168 rooms, and the location is unrivalled, you’re close to everything.
- Prestonfield is an opulent option just five minutes from the Royal Mile, yet surrounded by 20 acres of parkland. Glamorous and romantic there are 23 individually divine bedrooms ready to spoil you. There’s also a fine dining restaurant and the hotel is adults only.
- Glasgow’s Crossbasket Castle is a stunning, 17th century castle turned nine room luxury hotel. It looks like a castle within as well as without, with antiques, oil paintings and floral motifs and there’s an elegant restaurant run by Albert and Michel Roux Jr.
Scotland’s Most Romantic Rural Escapes
- The Fife Arms is located in Braemar (famous for its royal Highland Games), Aberdeenshire and what might look like an austere Victorian pile on the outside has been transformed into a luxury hotel which is dripping with glamour and opulence. Individually themed rooms are decadent to stay the least and the walls are covered in fabulous artworks from Picasso to Prince Charles. A stunning find and perfect for a really special romantic getaway.
- Kinloch House Hotel is a stunning stately home in the heart of the glorious Perthshire countryside. You’re surrounded by woods and landscaped lawns and there’s a river and loch, perfect for salmon fishing. There are 18 traditional rooms and grand, yet cosy, living spaces. The food is excellent.
- The Loch Ness Lodge is an elegant, intimate hotel in the heart of the Scottish Highlands with beautiful views over Loch Ness. The seven rooms are furnished with some lovely antiques and they offer a very hearty breakfast designed to set you up for a day outdoors fishing, walking shooting, kayaking, husky sledding - you name it.
- The Gleneagles Hotel is a luxurious grand dame of a hotel in the stunning Perthshire countryside. You probably know it for its three championship golf courses, but there’s also a top notch spa, Scotland’s only two Michelin starred restaurant and all sorts of facilities on offer, including some great things to do for kids.
- Surrounded by stunning scenery, Kinloch Lodge on the Isle of Skye, is a cosy, 15 room escape filled with natural light and benefitting from a Michelin starred restaurant.
Scotland’s Most Romantic Country House Hotels
- Cavens Hotel is an impressive country house in a stunning location, surrounded by 20 acres of lawns and woodlands close to Dumfries. There are eight traditional, homely room with open fires, chintz fabrics and beautiful views. There’s also an excellent Scottish restaurant. Perfect for lovers of the great outdoors.
- Arisaig House is a Victorian country house turned luxurious, but affordable, B&B. Set amid 19 acres of landscaped gardens and beautiful hilly countryside, on the road to the Isles, Arisaig has ten rooms with beautiful, peaceful views.
Romantic Scottish Hotels with Hot Tubs
- Blythswood Square in Glasgow’s West End is a landmark building and luxury, five star hotel and spa. There are a hundred rooms and suites, including vast, glamorous penthouses. The award-wining basement spa has hot tubs, saunas and even a mud chamber.
- On the outskirts of Edinburg, the Norton House Hotel & Spa is a large country house hotel with 83 rooms. You’re just two miles from the airport, though you wouldn’t know it once you arrive. The restaurant has a 3 AA Rosette rating and the spa has a huge pool and a huge range of treatment on offer. It feels a world away but you’re just s short bus ride from Edinburgh.
- If you’re looking for your own private hot tub you can head north to Inverness and the Rocpool Reserve, which offers two ‘extra decadent’ rooms which both have their own hot tubs. This stylish ‘modern townhouse affair’ in the centre of town has 11 guest rooms with carefully chosen decor and views over Inverness and the river. There’s also an award-winning restaurant.
If those properties appeal to you why not check out our Guru’s full collection of 17 of the Best Hotels with Hot Tubs in Scotland.
Scotland’s Most Affordable Romantic Hotels
- If you’re searching for an affordable escape it’s hard to go past the Ardanaiseig, a glorious country house hotel with stunning views, remotely located on the banks of Loch Awe. The restaurant has a 3 AA Rosette rating and there’s superb fishing. For total privacy book the boat shed.
- Caddon View is in the little village of Innerleithen, in the borders, but only 30miles from Edinburgh. It has eight individually designed rooms which start from around £55 per night. The hotel has kept many of this 19th century house’s original features, and you’re in a great location for walkers and for fishing on the River Tweed.
If you haven’t found your idea of Scotland’s most romantic hotels on our Guru’s list of 20 of Scotland's Most Romantic Hotels you could:
- Consult our Ultimate Guide to the Most Romantic Hotels in the UK.
- Or browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Scotland.
- Or just the best places to stay in Edinburgh, the best places to stay in Glasgow or the best places to stay in the Highlands and Islands.
- You could consider our Guru's lists of 10 Scottish Country Escapes, or 17 of the Best Hotels with Hot Tubs in Scotland.
- Alternatively you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
The Witchery by the Castle Edinburgh (Royal Mile) 9 rooms from £365Foodies - Serving Scottish beef, lamb, game, the Witchery's famous steak tartare, briny-fresh seafood platters and even some haggis.Romantic Break - The glamourous, plush yet cosy interiors with love seats, four poster beds, and plenty of candles are perfect for couplesSights nearby - In the heart of the Old Town on Edinburgh's famous Royal MileFull of character - Theatrical red & gold, velveted roomsRecommended by - Frommers, Good Hotel Guide
The Scotsman Hotel Edinburgh 59 rooms from £195Great walks - Calton Hill, is just a short stroll from the hotel, enjoy 360 views of the city at the city's UNESCO World Heritage Site.Sights nearby - Overlooking Edinburgh Castle.Views - Good city views.Full of characterRecommended by - Fodors, Frommers, Good Hotel Guide
Loch Ness Lodge Inverness (Loch Ness-side) 7 rooms from £175Active Holiday - Active guests can try their hand at deer stalking, archery, quad biking, shooting, 4x4 off-road driving and husky sledding.Country Escape - A spectacular part of rural Scotland with dramatic views over across the water to a string of craggy mountains beyond.Kayaking - Book a two hour kayak trip to explore the lake from the hotel's private stretch of Loch Ness shoreline.Fishing - Anglers can book a fishing trip through the lodge, to catch trout and salmon further along the shores.Recommended by - I Escape, Good Hotel Guide
Gleneagles Hotel Perthshire 206 rooms from £245Child friendly - Great facilities for children of all ages with organised activities and childcare available.Restaurant - Andrew Fairlie Restaurant is the only establishment in Scotland with two Michelin stars.Other Activities - Shooting, fishing, falconry, gun dog training, off road driving to name a few!Golf - Three championshire courses and PGA National Golf Academy on site.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection
Prestonfield Edinburgh (Priestfield Road) 23 rooms from £252Romantic Break - This hotel oozes glammour, romance and seduction, with its wildly opulent canopied beds, rich fabrics and roaring fires.Local exploring - The best of both worlds- set in 20 acres of spectacular parklands, yet within spitting distance of Edinburgh.Great walks - Don't forget your welly boots, there are 20 acres of parkland to explore.Restrictions on children - Adults onlyRecommended by - Frommers, Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection
Opulent extravagance at the Prestonfield just 5 mins from the Royal Mile in Edinburgh. Come for attentive service, divine bedrooms and spoiling galore. Fine dining is served in an ultra romantic setting. The concierge have a 'nothing's too much' attitude. Best for a truly indulgent stay. See More
Crossbasket Castle Glasgow, Lanarkshire 9 rooms from £256Weddings - A stunning backdrop to a wedding, with a large ballroom and conveniently close to Glasgow too.Country Escape - Live in splendour at this spectacular castle. The perfect place to get away from it all.Great walks - Take a scenic walk through the Falls of Clyde and find pretty forests, waterfalls and plenty of wildlife to spot.Fishing - Fish for Brown Trout on the hotel's section of River Calder. Salmon fishing is also available nearby.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
A stunning 17th-century castle, lovingly renovated into a luxury hotel. Well proportioned rooms and suites feature large sash windows, floral motifs and antique furniture. An elegant restaurant run by the legendary Albert and Michel Roux Jr and plenty of country pursuits. A spoiling rural retreat. See More
The Dunstane Houses Edinburgh 35 rooms from £164Sights nearby - Easy access to all of Edinburgh's top attractions including the Royal Mile, Old Town and Prince's StreetGreat walks - Climb Arthur's seat for a great view over the city and beyond.Designer - Uniquely designed interiorsQuirky - A unique experienceRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Fodors, Mr & Mrs Smith
In a peaceful corner of Edinburgh’s West End, a short walk from Haymarket and 15 minutes’ drive from Edinburgh airport, The Dunstane Houses is an independent, 5 star VisitScotland 35-bedroom boutique hotel spread over two stately Victorian townhouses on opposite sides of the road. See More
The Fife Arms Braemar, Aberdeenshire 46 rooms from £320Other Activities - Stalking and shooting all available by arrangementArtworks - Picasso, Freud, Bruegel to name just a fewOpulent - Check out the Royal SuitesFishing - Fishing on the Dee
Kinloch Lodge, Skye Isle of Skye 15 rooms from £218Foodies - Foodies won't be able to resist the stunning Michelin Star restaurant- check out the taster menu with excellent wine pairings.Romantic Break - A picturesque south Skype romantic retreat offering excellent food, roaring fires, chic suites and long country walks.Great walks - Venture on a Wild Walk with resident naturalist Mitchell Partridge, packed lunches are provided on request.Fishing - The area won't dissapoint, keen anglers can fish for salmon, brown trout and rainbow trout.
Stunning scenery, dazzling food and plenty of peace and quiet just a short drive from the Skye Bridge. The elegant and traditional rooms are filled with natural light. A cosy sitting room with an open fireplace is the ideal spot to unwind with a whisky. Exceptional Michelin Star cuisine. See More
The Balmoral Edinburgh 168 rooms from £208Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Edinburgh Castle and the Scottish National Portrait Gallery.Great walks - Walk to the summit of Calton Hill and enjoy the panoramic views.Views - Wonderful city views towards Arthurs Seat.Swimming Pool - Indoor PoolRecommended by - Tablet, Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
Quietly confident, stylish, sophisticated and efficient.THE place to stay in Edinburgh. Part of Rocco Forte Collection and boasting a Michelin starred restaurant, comprehensive spa and over 150 bedrooms. The old railway hotel transformed into a grande dame. True indulgence. See More
Rocpool Reserve Inverness 11 rooms from £185Private Hot Tub - Two rooms feature private outdoor hot tubsSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Blythswood Square Glasgow 100 rooms from £205City Style - An elegant 5 star hotel in a great location, with red velvet alcoves and fringed lamp shades nodding to the square's shady past!Spa breaks - Indulge yourself at in the award-winning basement spa with mud chamber, sauna and extensive treatments.Suites - Also penthouses with private lift, terrace, bar, dining room, rooftop viewsSwimming Pool - Indoor poolRecommended by - Fodors, Good Hotel Guide
A luxury 5 star spa hotel in Glasgow's West End. Its landmark heritage creates an imposing facade. The contemporary interiors and wellness spa have all the modern comforts. The glorious penthouses and many private rooms are ideal for corporate or social entertaining. A chic choice. See More
Cavens House by Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway 8 rooms from £180Country Escape - A charming country house set in 20 acres of woodland and lawns, with excellent walking and warm fires to great your return.Romantic Break - A cosy hideaway for two in this enchanting part of the country, with charming suites and romantic dining.Birdwatching - Pack the binoculars as there are two nearby reserves RSPB Mersehead and WWT Caerlaverock.Sights nearby - Explore the 17th century Drumlanrig Castle and the 13th century Sweetheart Abbey.Recommended by - Sawdays, Good Hotel Guide
An impressive country house set in a stunning location. Traditional rooms feature large sash windows and tastefully upholstered furniture. Good Scottish cuisine with award winning service. Plenty of country pursuits in the surrounding area. An ideal country escape with all the comforts of home. See More
Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh (Ingliston) 83 rooms from £120Business Hotel - Great for business travellers as it's only 2 miles from Edinburgh AirportSights nearby - A short bus ride from all of Edinburgh's major attractionsSwimming Pool - 18 metre heated poolSpa
Country house hotel on the outskirts of Edinburgh. Great facilities include spa with large heated pool and a plethora of treatments to choose from. Great food too with 3 AA Rosette fine dining in Ushers Restaurant. Perfect for business travellers - it's only 2 miles from the airport. See More
Kinloch House Hotel By Blairgowrie, Perthshire 18 rooms from £185Country Escape - A lovely country house set amidst the stunning Perthshire landscape, with lochs, rivers and woods- perfect for rambling.Great walks - Wonderful walks with an abundance of choice from mountain trails to lowland trails and designated walking routes.Sights nearby - Visit the impressive Blair Castle, one time home to the last private army in Europe.Fishing - The River Tay is a renowned spot for salmon fishing.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Relais & Chateaux
A stunning stately home set in the heart of glorious Perthshire. Large traditional rooms feature sash windows, chintz fabrics and some have free standing baths. Living rooms are suitably grand yet still remain cosy. Exemplary cuisine made from the finest local produce. An ideal country escape. See More
Arisaig House nr Mallaig, Inverness-shire 10 rooms from £120Exclusive offer - Up to 15% off for group bookingsGreat walks - Walks to suit all from gentle strolls to strenuous hill climbsViews - Great views over to the Small Isles.House party feel - Great for parties!Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.
Caddon View Peeblesshire, Borders 8 rooms from £53Great walks - Caddon View is an excellent location for walks of all grades around Innerleithen from forest to hill walking over the Minch MoorFishing - The River Tweed is famous for its salmon fishing but it also has an excellent run of sea troutRomantic - Good for couples.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
A 19th century country guesthouse nestled in the village of Innerleithen. Eight individually designed rooms still retain many of their original features. Relax by the fireplace or enjoy the many outdoor pursuits. Only 30 miles from Edinburgh this is the ideal country bolt hole. See More
Ballathie House Hotel Perthshire 41 rooms from £100Active Holiday - An excellent choice for enjoying the best of British country pursuits such as fishing, walking, golfing and riding.Local exploring - Ideally placed for exploring the Scottish Highlands as well as the nearby town of Perth.Great walks - Wonderful walking on the hotels private estate, or wander a bit further into the Scottish Highlands.Fishing - Don't forget to pack your rods, the hotel overlooks the River Tay, a famed salmon fishing spot.
Long-established country hotel in splendid surroundings. Elegant rooms feature traditional patterned wallpaper and some have free standing baths. Grand reception rooms with fireplaces are ideal for unwinding in after a day outdoors. Award winning Scottish cuisine. A lovely rural escape. See More