Search the best hotels in St Ives
About St Ives
St Ives, located on the north coast of Cornwall, is home to Tate St Ives, the second Tate opened outside London. It is also home to some of the most perfect seaside experiences Britain can offer. The best places to stay in St Ives all boast lovely views and bags of atmosphere. Often voted the best UK seaside town (impressive in a crowded market), it has retained most of the historical buildings and detail from its time as a busy fishing port without succumbing to slot machines on the seafront.
The Tate is a big draw. Converted from a former gasworks next to Porthmeor Beach, it houses the work of modern British artists. Before that, many people came just for the beaches. There are four glorious beaches in St Ives: Porthmeor, Porthgwidden, Porthminster and Harbour Beach, with Carbis Bay a mile around the headland or a half hour walk along the coastal path.
St. Ives is also known for the charm of its bijou boutiques as well as galleries, buzzy cafes and restaurants with impressive water views.
The Barbara Hepworth Museum and Sculpture Garden is another attraction, housed in the artist's former house and studio on Barnoon Hill, a ten-minute walk from the Tate.
It's not all about art here, from the best places to stay in St. Ives you can also witness the famous gig racing. A gig is a 32 foot long clinker-built rowing boat seating six rowers and a cox, and they were originally used to take pilots out to sailing ships as they approached the Isles of Scilly or Cornish coast. The first pilot aboard the sailing ship got the job, so gig racing is an ancient local tradition.
What Not To Miss
- Families should definitely spend a day at The Flambards Experience amusement park - complete with thrill rides, a Victorian Village and children's play area. A fun-filled day out.
- Head over to the National Maritime Museum Cornwall and check out their fascinating variety of exhibitions, including one on British tattoo art and another on Captain Bligh.
- Mên-an-Tol, known locally as the "Crick stone", is an iconic formation of standing stones thought to date back to the late Neolithic or early Bronze Age.
- The 22-acre Tremenheere Sculpture Gardens features a range of modern art installations, surrounded by plant-filled gardens and with fantastic views of the bay. A lovely way to spend an afternoon.
Don't forget that if you plan to visit the town during the peak summer months (or half terms), you'll need to be organised and book well ahead. The best places to stay in St Ives can be very difficult to reserve!
The Best Places to Stay in St Ives
- The deliciously tranquil six room Blue Hayes Hotel is a discreetly glamorous proposition, perched above the bay with its terraces and balconies looking out to sea.
- The Boskerris is another hotel with a wonderful sun terrace. The fifteen rooms are modern but natural, and the whole place has a Mediterranean feel with the palm trees outside! The lighthouse which inspired Virginia Woolf to write "To the Lighthouse" can be glimpsed as you sip a cold glass of wine.
- West by Five has stylish themed rooms and, more importantly, stunning sea views. You're walking distance from all the highlights, and many excellent restaurants, so this is perfect spot if you can only spare a weekend in St. Ives.
- Book Trevose Harbour House for a gorgeous nautically themed B&B. Six individually designed bedrooms simply ooze style, and with no kids allowed under 14, it's the ideal adult retreat.
- The boutique 3 Porthminster is located a short distance from the beach, perfect for long romantic walks along the coast. What's more, it boasts a lovely quiet atmosphere and is a mere stone's throw away from the town's top spots.
For a holiday cottage
- If you're travelling in a larger family group or with friends, you might prefer to opt for self catering accommodation. We recommend you visit our online partner, booking.com for a wide choice.
- St Ives is a busy destination year round, but is hottest in July and August, with daily temperatures averaging 15°C and the sea averaging 17°C - so it's not exactly stifling, but is perfectly pleasant.
- Visitors from the UK can take a train to St Ives, 5 hours 50 minutes away from London Paddington and requiring just one change.
- Alternatively, if you're coming from further afield you can fly into Cornwall Airport Newquay which serves a number of domestic routes (such as Edinburgh, Scilly, Manchester, Doncaster Sheffield and Birmingham). The airport's located about 50 minutes away from St Ives itself.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in St Ives
Blue Hayes St Ives (West Cornwall) 6 rooms from $205Exclusive offerHideaway - A real gem that is almost impossible to leave, with friendly and welcoming staff, cosy rooms, great views and spectacular food.Sights nearby - Tate St Ives Modern art museum is a brisk 20 minute walk away.Great walks - Walk from St Ives around the stunning rugged coast to Zennor.Restrictions on children - No children under the age of 10Recommended by - Frommers, Sawdays
Glamourous and discreet six room boutique hotel in buzzy St Ives. A tranquil spot with sweeping views. Large airy rooms and suites with neutral tones and splashes or pastel colours. Informal dining based on Cornish produce. Excellent and personal service. Perfectly achieved laid back luxury. See More
The Queens Hotel St Ives (West Cornwall) 10 rooms from $77Great walks - The surrounding coastline is full of wonderful walking routes.Surfing - The coastline near St. Ives full of great surf spots.Local markets - Browse St. Ives's fruitful farmers market.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
West by Five St Ives (West Cornwall) 4 rooms from $77Country Escape - Tranquil seaside town of St Ives, yet with plenty of sites on the doorstep. Fresh seafood, surfing, walks and pubs of CornwallGreat walks - Porthminster Beach, up on to the coastal path to Carbis Bay or LelantSights nearby - The harbour of St IvesSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
A contemporary chic guesthouse on the Cornish coast. Stylish beach themed rooms have large bathrooms and stunning sea views. Fabulous hearty breakfasts in a lovely breakfast room. Walking distance to restaurants, the beach, harbour and museums. A great choice for a weekend by the sea. See More
Pedn Olva St Ives (West Cornwall) 30 rooms from $88Active Holiday - Cornwall offers a host of outdoor activities from watersports to rugged hikes.Surfing - Head for Porthmeor beach for excellent surf conditions.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolSailing - Can be booked nearby.
A chic cliff top hotel overlooking the pristine white sands of Porthminster beach. White on white throughout, the hotel has a distinctly un-British feel, you could be forgiven for thinking you're somewhere in the Mediterranean. The restaurant is a hotspot for foodies and the town for art lovers. See More
Channings St Ives (West Cornwall) 8 rooms from $90Birdwatching - The coast around St. Ives is home to abundant birdlife population.Fishing - Sea fishing trips can be organised from St. Ives harbour.Surfing - Cornwall has some of the best surf spots in the UK.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
3 Porthminster St Ives (West Cornwall) 4 rooms from $96Local exploring - 3 Porthminster is a fantastic base from which to get to kow St Ives, one of Cornwall's most famous spotsSights nearby - Be sure to go visit St Michael's Mount as well as Land's End!Great walks - Wander along the coast revelling in its natural beautySurfing - Head out to sea and spend an afternoon surfing
3 Porthminster is situated in the town of St Ives, just a short distance from the beach. This property offers four boutique rooms decorated with plenty of light hues (whites, blues and yellows) mimicking the coastal surroundings. Enjoy a splendid breakfast each morning! An intimate coastal retreat. See More
Storm in a Teacup St Ives (West Cornwall) 6 rooms from $102Surfing - The surrounding coastline is great for surfing.Local markets - Ten minutes walk from Guildhall Market.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Primrose Valley Hotel St Ives (West Cornwall) 9 rooms from $192Surfing - The Cornish coast is a haven for surfers. From novice to pro, you'll find a wave for you.Sights nearby - Land's End is just over ten miles away.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Views - Great views from hotel
Boskerris Hotel St Ives (West Cornwall) 15 rooms from $192Views - Wide coastal views from most roomsSit-out Terrace - Coastal views are beautifulSights nearby - Tate St Ives within walking distanceRomantic - A tranquil retreat for couplesRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
The Lifeboat Inn St Ives (West Cornwall) 7 rooms from $192Beach Life - A charming Cornish inn offering cosy accommodation right on the picturesque St Ives coastSights nearby - The Tate St Ives gallery is a must visit on any tripSurfing - Book a lesson in the surf school on Porthmeor BeachGreat walks - Take long walks along the South-West Coastal path
A boutique inn overlooking the harbour in the quaint town of St Ives. A handful of smart bedrooms (most with coastal views) feature sink-into beds, simple contemporary fabrics, and indulgent bathrooms. The atmospheric pub is the beating heart of this inn and serves superb seafood. See More
Headland House St Ives (West Cornwall) 7 rooms from $199Local exploring - St Ives is a trendy little town filled with art galleries and cafes. Then there's all the beautiful Cornish countryside.Great walks - Head out from the property and take scenic walks along Carbis Bay.Restrictions on children - Children over 14 years old are welcomeSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
The Gannet Inn St Ives (West Cornwall) 20 rooms from $205Local exploring - An ideal base to explore the chic town of St Ives, access the beach and discover Cornwall's countryside.Great walks - Discover Cornwall on foot taking long walks along the coastal path.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolRomantic - Good for couples.
A boutique Inn located in a picturesque village just outside St Ives. Individually styled rooms are named to reflect their character. From 'Cosy' to 'Quirky' each is stylishly designed and comfortable. The staff are exceptionally friendly and the food both hearty and skilfully crafted. See More
Trevose Harbour House St Ives (West Cornwall) 6 rooms from $211Sights nearby - For art lovers the Tate St Ives and Barbara Hepworth Museum and Sculpture Garden are worth a visit.Sailing - Take a boat trip to Seal Island where you can spot seals, dolphins and much more.Great walks - To the Lizard Peninsula and the Kynance Cove makes for an excellent day out.Surfing - Nearby Porthmeor Beach is where surfers go to hang ten.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
As refreshing as the Cornish coastline you can see from your window this nautical inspired B&B is simply stunning. Six individually designed bedrooms ooze style with colour palettes to match the sky and surf of St Ives. The downstairs snug offers an honesty bar & breakfast is totally organic. See More
St Ives Harbour Hotel St Ives (Cornwall) 52 rooms from $250Total relaxation - A beautiful coastal property complete with fabulous spa. Ideal for relaxing weekends away.Great walks - Enjoy scenic walks along the beautiful coastal path.Swimming Pool - Indoor poolViews - Great views from hotel
A luxury Cornish property boasting fabulous sea views in the chic town of St Ives. Smart rooms feature high ceilings, dark hues, contemporary furniture and indulgent bathrooms. A spoiling spa, indoor pool, fine dining restaurant and abundance of activities in the area make this a spoiling break. See More
Carbis Bay Hotel St Ives (West Cornwall) 47 rooms from $307Surfing - The surrounding coastline is full of great surfing spots.Great walks - Superb nearby coastal walking trails.Views - Great views from hotelSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Overlooking one of Cornwall's most beautiful bays, the Carbis Bay Hotel is a superb place to stay. The well designed rooms are crisp and accentuate the hotel's magnificent views. Spend a day at the beach and return to the hotel's restaurant to enjoy some delicious locally caught seafood. See More