- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Best family hotels on the Amalfi Coast
The Amalfi coast thrills children. They will squeal at the hairpin bends of the corniche road, the scary heights of the cliffs and the tempting blue seas below. They’ll feel like they are in a James Bond film. They will, however, probably be a little bored by the gorgeous architecture and ravishing churches of many of the towns or by the romantic sunsets seen from bougainvillea-draped terraces. What they will want are beaches, boat rides, swimming pools, ice creams and trips to eerie-looking caves and caverns. All of these things can be found, if you choose your accommodation carefully and seek out the best family hotels on the Amalfi coast..
There are hotels, for example, that are within easy walking distance of Positano’s or Maiori’s beaches or the ice cream shops of Amalfi. Base yourself close to Praiano and Conca dei Marini and it’s handy for a boat trip to Grotto Smeralda. And all the family will want to try the fabulous pastry shops of Maiori.
The best family hotels on the Amalfi coast
For apartment style accommodation
- If you want to have a degree of independence, Villa La Tartana in Positano, makes a good family choice as it has a separate apartment, prettily decorated in blues and whites and with the traditional Vietri tiled floors. It’s also close to the Lion steps, which lead straight down to Positano’s Spiaggia Grande.
- With its own private steps to the beach - 210, in all, so that will keep the children quiet! - Miramare, high above Positano, also has apartments that are ideal for families. Traditionally furnished with tiled floors and darkly polished furniture, rooms are typical of Italian homes. And the views are amazing.
For a great pool or beach
- Older children will love the sleek infinity pool at Palazzo Murat, a charming and elegant historic townhouse only minutes from Positano’s beaches. Rooms, including family suites, have private terraces with stunning views, and the hotel’s central location means everything is within easy walking distance.
- For both sleek style and views to entrance everyone - plus a spa to keep the adults happy - Convento di Amalfi, just above Amalfi town and its beaches, might do the trick. Children will love the fact they can gaze down at the sea from the infinity pool.
- Children will be equally thrilled by Hotel Santa Caterina's glass lift that whisks them down through the cliff face to a private beach. This luxury hotel, close to Amalfi, and built in 1880, has large rooms and suites that mix antiques with contemporary furnishings. As it’s still run by descendants of the founder, it has a family feel, and, of course, children are always important to Italians!
It’s never easy keeping everyone happy on holiday but if you use our guide to the best hotels for families on the Amalfi coast you are halfway there. Nothing here for you? Don';t despair....check out our full range of recommendations on the Amalfi Coast, extend your search further and include all of Campania, or call a friendly guru for advice.
Villa La Tartana 9 rooms from £114Positano
A handsome Positano townhouse with enchanting bedrooms and one apartment. Freshly decorated in whites and blues, pretty ceramic wall lights, painted bedheads and private balconies. Excellent breakfasts on the terrace. A cool sanctuary to start the day in before heading to the beach.Local exploring - Right next to the church of Santa Maria Assunta, minutes from the beach and the shorefront bars and restaurants.Sights nearby - Don't miss a trip to the World Heritage Site Pompeii.Sailing - Charter a boat to take you up the Amalfi Coast.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Miramare 16 rooms from £204Positano
A gem perched above the town with breathtaking views. The apartments are a great choice for families or groups. The bedrooms have warm terracotta floors, antique furniture and attractive bathrooms. The glassed-in terrace for breakfast is magical. The beach is a 210 step climb down.Families - The spacious apartments are the perfect base for families and groups, plus they're within walking distance of the beach.Great walks - Take a stroll through this charming town, wander the narrow streets and lanes to discover fantastic bars and restaurants.Sailing - Charter a boat and head up the Amalfi coast, a perfect day trip for couples or families.Local markets - The area around the hotel boasts many great shops, selling local wares.
Palazzo Murat 31 rooms from £158Positano
Fabulous 17th century townhouse in Positano with spectacular views. Bougainvillea strewn terraces, an infinity swimming pool, and dreamy rooms and suites with private terraces overlooking the sea. Very romantic, very centrally placed.Sights nearby - Situated in the centre of Positano, close to all the major attractionsSwimming Pool - Pool with stunning viewsFour poster beds - For romantics.SpaRecommended by - CN Traveller
Convento di Amalfi 36 rooms from £172Amalfi
Beautiful former convent set in the rock face just above the town of Amalfi. Fabulous views of the town and sea from the terraces and the swimming pool. Chic rooms and suites with vaulted ceilings and neutral hues. Spa, restaurant and bar. Stylish minimalism at its best.HoneymoonsRomantic BreakSights nearby - 10 minute walk down hill to Amalfi. Positano is 20 mins by car.Views - Spectacular views of the Amalfi coastline
Hotel Santa Caterina 66 rooms from £424Amalfi
A luxurious retreat in a stunning location. Beautiful rooms in whites and creams with splashes of colour and private balconies. Fabulous restaurants, private beach (reached by a glass lift through the cliff face) and luscious gardens with citrus groves. A tranquil and romantic spot.Beach Life - Guests ride an elevator down to a private beach and enjoy stunning seaviews from the property.Sailing - Book a private motorboat and spend a day exploring the Amalfi Coast by sea.Sights nearby - Visit the ancient towns of The towns of Pompei and Herculaneum.Views - Breathtaking views over the sea.Recommended by - Tablet