The 10 Best Budget Hotels on Lake Como
Lake Como is known for its beauty and glamour, but it doesn’t have to come with the price tag often associated with such a well heeled destination. There are plenty of ways to see the lakes without breaking the bank, from visiting in the shoulder seasons, April or October, to staying at one of the towns on the quieter, northern stretches of lake, to staying in a campsite. But one of the best places to start is our Guru’s recommendations for the 10 best budget hotels on Lake Como.
Our Guru’s list of the best budget hotels on Lake Como even includes a great value recommendation in famed stunner, Bellagio and numerous choices in pretty Varenna, just a 15minute ferry ride away. If you do stay in Varenna or Bellagio don’t be disheartened by the prices in the waterfront bars and cafes, walk a little way up the hill and you’ll pay a couple of euros less for everything. In fact that advice probably goes for all the lakeside towns.
Swimming in the lake, admiring the view, hiking up into the hills and admiring the lake’s many beautiful villas and churches are all done with no outlay, and the ferries which jet to and fro across the lake are quite good value. It’s also easy to find inexpensive canoe or kayak hire, or bike hire, and travel under your own steam, all accessed easily from our recommendations for the 10 best budget hotels on Lake Como.
- The Hotel Florence in glamorous Bellagio is a stunning hotel with design mimicking its Florentine namesake. It has just 27 lovely rooms and sumptuous suites, with private balconies and spectacular views - of course! There’s also a gourmet restaurant and a spa, and all starting from around £130 per night (low season).
- For a similar room rate, one might also stay in the Relais Villa Vittoria, in Laglio, a wonderfully romantic hotel right on the edge of the lake. As well as beautiful views, this hotel has 11 delicately sumptuous rooms, an excellent restaurant, and peaceful terraces overlooking the lake. Perfect for honeymooners.
- The Casa Contrada Bella is a small guest house with three charming bedrooms - wrought iron bed heads, exposed wooden beams, exposed stone wall. Two of the rooms have a small kitchenette, and one has a balcony. Restaurants are within walking distance and the beach is just steps away.
- Owned by the same family for four generations, the Albergo Olivedo is a gorgeous ten room townhouse hotel right by the lake at Varenna. The decor is traditional, with stone floors, pastel walls and private balconies. Family friendly and laid back, the Albergo Olivedo also has a lovely little Italian restaurant. Rooms start from around £90 per night.
- Also in Varenna, the Albergo Milano is a charming hotel in an enchanting lakeside setting. There are a collection of 14 rooms, triples and apartments, all with stone floors, whitewashed walls and private balconies. There’s also a lovely restaurant. Rooms start at around £110 per night.
The Best Budget B&Bs on Lake Como
- Lezzeno's Nest on the Lake is a charming little lakeside B&B with five rooms and self-catering apartments. Bedrooms have four-poster beds and private terraces and there are lovely sun decks to share. They’ll also rent you a bike or a canoe. And all for under £100 per night.
- La Canarina B&B is a charming B&B in the heart of Como with two simple, airy bedrooms decorated with antiques and overlooking a beautiful private garden. You’re also just 200metres from the lake.
- Como Luxury Rooms is a boutique guest house with just two sleek, modern bedrooms decorated in cool greys. Located in the heart of Como’s Old Town this is an easy and affordable base - rooms start from around £75 per night.
Still not sure which of our Guru’s recommendations for the 10 best budget Lake Como hotels might be perfect for you?
- You might want to expand your search to include all the best places to stay on Lake Como?
- Or consider just the best hotels with a view on Lake Como? or Lake Como's best B&Bs? or the best family hotels on Lake Como?
- Or you might want to refine your search by location and search for just the best places to stay in Como?or the best places to Stay in Varenna?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
The Best Budget Hotels on Lake Como
Hotel Florence Bellagio 27 rooms from £139Romantic Break - Cruise on the lake or stroll through the countryside before unwinding in the small spa, perfect activities for a romantic breakFoodies - Dine on gourmet Italian dishes set on a pretty wisteria-shaded lakeside terraceOwner managed - The property has been in the same family for the past 100 yearsViews - Breathtaking views over Lake ComoRecommended by - CN Traveller
Relais Villa Vittoria Laglio 11 rooms from £165Weddings - Receptions and intimate marriages are regularly held here and can cater for up to 68 seated guestsTotal relaxation - Spend days lounging in the infinity pool overlooking the lake and mountains or unwind in the spaLocal exploring - Just a short paddle from the village of LaglioViews - Breathtaking views over Lake ComoRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, CN Traveller
Casa Contrada Bella Varenna 3 rooms from £113Romantic Break - A superb location, cosy rooms and suites and no children allowed make this ideal for romance!Groups - With just three rooms, this is a good choice if you want to rent out a place in its entiretyValue chic - Stylish rooms which start from just €130 per nightSights nearby - Situated in the historical centre of Varenna. 14th Century Church - Chiesa di San Giorgio is very close by
A small guest house with three charming bedrooms - wrought iron bed heads, exposed wooden beams, exposed stone wall. Two with a small kitchenette and one with a balcony. Restaurants within walking distance and the beach is just steps away. A great value base for exploring the area. See More
Albergo Milano Varenna 14 rooms from £165Charming - Pick this property for a tradional stay, the oldest part of the building dates back to the 17th centuryFamilies - With 3 apartments sleeping up to 5 people, this is a great choice for families or small groupsOwner managed - The friendly owners, Bettina and Egidio, often greet their guests personallyLakeside - Take the short stroll down to the lake and go for a swimRecommended by - Sawdays
Albergo Olivedo Varenna 10 rooms from £95Local exploring - Well located just 5 minutes from Varenna's pretty centre made up of winding cobbled streetsElegant - Traditional interiors see large sash windows, parquet flooring and antiquesSailing - Set on the Varenna jetty, this is a great base to explore the lake by boatOwner managed - Owned by the same family for four generationsRecommended by - Sawdays
Nest on the Lake Lezzeno 5 rooms from £95Hideaway - The lakeside property feels secluded and quiet, perfect to get away from it allLocal exploring - Located an easy boat ride to Varenna and other attractionsViews - Wonderful views over Lake ComoSights nearby - Some of Como's most spectacular villas are very close by
La Canarina B&B Como 2 rooms from £82Local exploring - Located in the centre of Como, you're ideally placed to explore on foot.Value chic - Beautiful rooms from just €95 per night B&B.Great walks - Travel up the Funicular and enjoy walks overlooking the lakeSights nearby - Como Cathedral is just minutes away
A charming bed and breakfast in the heart of Como. Bedrooms are simple and airy with natural wooden floorboards and antique wrought iron beds, all overlooking a beautiful private garden. A good location to explore Como on foot with plenty to see from the doorstep and just 200m from the lake. See More
Como Luxury Rooms Lake Como 2 rooms from £78Local exploring - Great location in the heart of Como Old Town - ideal for exploring on foot, or easy access to the lake and its boats.Value chic - This sleek property has two rooms with prices starting from just €90 per night including breakfast.Contemporary - Sleek contemporary rooms are decorated in cool greysGreat walks - Ride the Funicolare to scenic walking routes
A boutique guest house with sleek modern bedrooms decorated in cool grey colours. An ideal base in the heart of Como Old Town - plenty to explore on the doorstep. Breakfast can be enjoyed in one of the many cafes on the street and coffee is provided in the room. Simplicity at its finest. See More