The 10 Best Hotels on Lake Como for Foodies
The quintessential Lake Como holiday involves choosing a beautiful lakeside town in which to stay, then jetting about on the lake’s ferries, water taxis, or private boats or private hotel boats, to other towns, where you poke around the main sights, churches, villas, boutiques and of course cafes and restaurants. And there are plenty to choose from. When considering how to qualify as one of the 10 best hotels on Lake Como for foodies, our Gurus have prioritised keeping you comfortable and close to beautiful views of the lake at all times, while also keeping you close to an excellent restaurant, or preferably several.
Some of the best hotels on Lake Como for foodies have their own Michelin starred restaurants, while some just offer exceptionally good examples of the local Italian fare. Expect to see the lake’s indigenous perch to pop up in risottos and pastas in most decent local restaurants, expect traditional Lombard dishes like casseoula - pork and savoy cabbage - and buseca - tripe - and plenty of polenta. You'll also find local wines in both red and white.
For a traditional hotel
- Bellagio’s opulent Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni is an elegant grande dame, with all the trappings of old fashioned luxury. Think doric columns, beautiful antiques, frescoed ceilings, grand sun terraces, spectacular lake views - of course - and a Michelin starred restaurant. They also have a private boat.
- The supremely elegant Grand Hotel Tremezzo has 89 rooms right on the water’s edge with beautifully understated interiors. Plus there are huge sun terraces, peaceful parklands, and an excellent spa. Not to mention the fine dining restaurant, whose menus are overseen by the Modern Italian Cuisine supremo Gualtiero Marchesi.
- If you're looking for ultimate luxury and relaxation in a truly glorious setting, the Casta Diva Resort and Spa is perfect. Naturally it's five stars, but it also has a wonderful floating swimming pool, and a subterranean spa hewn into the rock of the shoreline. The restaurant comes highly recommended and serves gourmet Italian cuisine with a modern twist. Plus it boasts a gorgeous terrace overlooking the lake for a romantic diner-a-deux!
- The Villa Flori is right on the water’s edge at Cernobbio, a truly unbeatable setting. Plus some of the 52 contemporary chic rooms and suites have enormous balconies which hang out over the lake. Their restaurant offers alfresco dining from a delicious Italian menu, plus there’s a lovely pool and spa.
For sheer luxury
- Il Sereno, in Torno on the banks of Lake Como, offers luxurious designer suites with breathtaking lake views. Sit out on the terrace, which also enjoys these incredible view, and enjoy exquisite modern Italian cuisine from the restaurant.
- Cernobbio's Villa d'Este is supremely luxurious and romantic, and gloriously un-modern, although it does have every modern amenity you could want for. The bedrooms, suites and villas, all 154 of them, have oil paintings, expensive fabrics, high ceilings, enormous balconies, lake views etc., there's a spa, an exceptional restaurant, pool, golf, private boat to take onto the lake etc. It's rather like stepping into the shoes of royalty.
For great value
- Sightly off the beaten track you'll discover the delights of the Locanda Osteria Marascia. It's in a quiet village just back from the lake and the five rooms offers beautiful rustic chic interiors with oodles of original features. The fantastic cellar restaurant offers authentic Italian cuisine that has been honed over the years - the restaurant has been in the same family for five generations. And rooms start from just €80 per night B&B.
- For romance, great value and an excellent wine list, try the Relais Villa Vittoria in Laglio, a wonderfully romantic hotel right on the edge of the lake. As well as an excellent restaurant, this hotel has 11 charming rooms, wonderful views, and terraces overlooking the lake. Perfect for honeymooners, and rooms start from around £140 per night.
- The Albergo Milano in Varenna is a charming hotel in an enchanting lakeside setting. There are a collection of 14 rooms, and apartments, with whitewashed walls and private balconies. There’s also a fabulous restaurant with spectacular lake views. And the rooms start from around £110 per night.
Still not sure which of our Guru’s recommendations for the 10 best hotels on Lake Como for foodies might be perfect for you?
- You could expand your search to include all the best places to stay on Lake Como?
- Or refine your search to just the best hotels with a view on Lake Como? or the best luxury hotels on Lake Como?
- Or you could search by location, and focus on the best places to stay in Como? or the best places to Stay in Varenna? or the best places to stay in Bellagio?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
The 10 Best Hotels on Lake Como for Foodies
Grand Hotel Tremezzo Tremezzo 89 rooms from £250Spa breaks - T-spa specialises in anti-stress and rebalancing treatments, all custom-designed with ESPAOutstanding location - Set right on Lake Como and commanding spectacular views, this property is hard to beatFoodies - Dine in the superb La Terrazza which serves traditional gourmet Italian fareViews - Wonderful views of Bellagio and the Grigne mountainsRecommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection
Five Star Luxury from a Grand Hotel on the water's edge of Lake Como. Elegant interiors are understated, rather than overly lavish. Glossy parquet floors, brightly coloured walls, a mixture of contemporary and Baroque furniture, spectacular views from terraces. Excellent restaurant, spa, parklands. See More
Villa Flori Cernobbio 53 rooms from £188Cycling - Bike storage is provided and guests can either take an easy amble around the lake or head into the mountainsElegant - Beautifully mixing original stuccoes, floral frescoes and wooden floors alongside chic contemporary touchesFoodies - Ristorante Raimondi offers excellent Italian al fresco diningRomantic - A fairytale setting and rooms to match!
Albergo Milano Varenna 14 rooms from £165Charming - Pick this property for a tradional stay, the oldest part of the building dates back to the 17th centuryFamilies - With 3 apartments sleeping up to 5 people, this is a great choice for families or small groupsOwner managed - The friendly owners, Bettina and Egidio, often greet their guests personallyLakeside - Take the short stroll down to the lake and go for a swimRecommended by - Sawdays
Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni Bellagio 95 rooms from £226Opulent - A wonderfully opulent hotel and undoubtebly one of the lake's grandestOutstanding location - An enviable location, right on the lakefront in the heart of BellagioTraditional - Expect marble columns, Murano chandeliers and frescoed ceilingsBeach nearby - The property boasts its own private beachRecommended by - CN Traveller
Opulent largesse and Five Star luxury at this elegant grand hotel. Bedrooms and suites have frescoed ceilings, Doric columns, and antique furniture. Michelin-run restaurant, spa, terraces, spectacular views of the lake, and a private boat to take you onto it. Romantic, pampering, historic. See More
Mandarin Oriental, Lake Como Blevio 73 rooms from £384Elegant - A grand 19th century villa decorated with that signiture Asian style of the Mandarin Oriental groupFamilies - Interconnecting rooms make this a great choice for those travelling with childrenTotal relaxation - With a glorious spa and quiet location this is a place to come and truly unwindHotel boats for hire - Take a cruise across the lake on one of the property's boatsRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels
Villa d'Este Cernobbio 152 rooms from £512Garden - Set amid 25 acres of park including manicured gardens which feature magnificent fountains, grand terraces, and trimmed topiaryFoodies - The restaurant is a smart affair (there's a dress code). It served impeccible Italian fine-diningActive Holiday - There's plenty to keep everyone busy here from trekking to SUP or tennisElegant - Complete with glittering chandeliers and traditional art worksRecommended by - CN Traveller, Tablet
Il Sereno Torno 30 rooms from £907Honeymoons - This slice of paradise is the ideal spot for that extra special honeymoon. A pampering hotel in an unforgettable location.Romantic Break - Stunning accommodation, beautiful views and exquisite cuisine make Il Sereno a great destination for a romantic breakFoodies - Michelin star chef Andrea Berton is in charge of Il Sereno's menu- guaranteed to please!Great walks - Head along the banks of the lakes or if you're feeling more adventurous then tackle the many mountain hikes all around the areaRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Situated in Torno on the banks of Lake Como, Il Sereno offers luxurious designer suites boasting breathtaking views. Sit out on the terrace enjoying exquisite modern Italian cuisine from the restaurant! Head off on a boat tour and explore the area. An enchanting and romantic spot. See More
Relais Villa Vittoria Laglio 11 rooms from £165Weddings - Receptions and intimate marriages are regularly held here and can cater for up to 68 seated guestsTotal relaxation - Spend days lounging in the infinity pool overlooking the lake and mountains or unwind in the spaLocal exploring - Just a short paddle from the village of LaglioViews - Breathtaking views over Lake ComoRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, CN Traveller
Locanda Osteria Marascia Calolziocorte (Lake Como) 5 rooms from £69Value chic - With doubles from just €80 per night including breakfast, these smart rooms are excellent valueLocal exploring - Great location for exploring the Italian LakesGreat walks - Parco Regionale di Montevecchia e della Valle del Curone. There are good routes for all abilitiesSights nearby - Spend a day in Milan
Located in a quiet village just a short drive from Lake Como. This traditional hotel has a charming rustic chic feel with exposed beams, stone walls and antiques galore. The fantastic cellar restaurant serves home-made Italian dishes - the host's recipes have been perfected over five generations! See More