Search the best hotels in Cernobbio
Graceful Cernobbio, with its pristine views of Lake Como and beautiful villas, is now probably best known for George Clooney. He has a villa in Laglio, which is just 10kms up the road, and apparently he loves to come down to the water’s edge cafes at Cernobbio. If you don’t have your own villa, there are plenty of excellent accommodation options on our Gurus’ list of the best places to stay in Cernobbio, including several beautifully converted villas, an incredibly grand traditional five star hotel, and some waterside picks that offer facilities to please families as well as couples.
Once quite separate from neighbouring Como, Cernobbio has been caught up in the tendrils of its suburbs — which actually makes it a much more appealing proposition to some travellers. For example we think it's a great option for travellers planning to use public transport to explore the southern end of Lake Como.
Cernobbio is also a romantic spot, with its famously beautiful villas, including the Villa Bernasconi, the Villa d'Este and Villa Erba. But it works for families too; as well as lake views and proximity to Como, Cernobbio has a beautiful promenade lined with welcoming cafes, and a playground. It also has a rather charming Lido. And Cernobbio is second on our list of Lake Como destinations for anyone hoping to run into George Clooney!
Just don't forget that this town will be heaving in the peak summer months. So if you're planning to visit in July or August and want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Cernobbio, get organised and book well head!
The Best Places to Stay in Cernobbio
For a Special Occasion
- The Villa d'Este is a traditional five star hotel, the kind with grand state rooms and ballrooms, suites as big as an apartment, and glorious gardens and restaurant terraces. The colour scheme is regal, the fabrics rich, and the chandeliers glitter with the sun streaming in from private balconies. The Villa d'Este also has a fleet of private boats, which you can catch from the private jetty, alongside the fabulous pool that floats on the lake. This is classic Lake Como grandeur, and perfect for a special occasion.
For Waterside Charm
- The Villa Flori is right on the water’s edge, cleverly designed in a broad horseshoe shape, so that all of its 53 rooms and suites have water views from private balconies (some of the suites have spacious terraces). The Italian restaurant has a classic menu, brought to life by a great chef, and a prime lake-view too, and tables that spill out in front all the way to the water’s edge. Even the fitness room has a view.
For an Intimate Escape
- The Casa Santo Stefano is an elegantly converted traditional villa, with just four stylish rooms and suites, and stunning views of the lake. Perched on a hillside overlooking the water, the casa has large windows in every room, and French windows in some. Each of the chic, adults-only guestrooms has its own lounge area, and some have private balconies too. There’s also a peaceful pool and sunny pool terrace. With an honesty bar, and a hands off approach to good service, this is a home from home, if your home is worthy of inclusion in an interiors magazine. There’s no restaurant, but they do offer breakfast.
Prefer a Self-catering Apartment or villa?
- Sometimes a villa or apartment is the best option if you're travelling in a larger group, so if you decide that you'd prefer a self catering option, check out our online booking partner, booking.com for some inspiration.
- Cernobbio has a few local international airports: Milan’s Linate, Malpensa and Bergamo Airport are about 45minutes away by road, or just over an hour by public transport. While Brescia-Montichiari and Verona-Villafranca are both an hour and a half drive, or three and a half hours on the train via Milan.
- If you want to hire a car, which we strongly advise if you’re staying on Lake Como and want to explore further afield, we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
- Lake Como has a milder climate than its surrounds which allows for sub-tropical plants like grapevines and olive trees to grow throughout the year. In winter it does get chilly, and in summer it can be humid, but broadly speaking the region has some of the best weather conditions in Europe. April through to October are the busiest months for visitors, warm and sunny, perfect for a lake break. The water of the lake even heats up during summer, and can get to 20°C come July! So if you are visiting at this time it’s worth booking as much as you can in advance.
Still not sure where to stay?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay on Lake Como
- Or you might consider including other local towns in your search maybe the larger centre of Como to the east along the shoreline, or even beautiful Bellagio, or Laglio along the shore in the opposite direction
- You could also consider refining your search by the kind of accommodation you’re looking for, be it the best hotels with a view on Lake Como, the best luxury hotels on Lake Como, the best hotels for families on Lake Como or the best value hotels on Lake Como
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Cernobbio
Best Hotels in Cernobbio
Casa Santo Stefano Cernobbio 4 rooms from £142Romantic Break - Just four smart rooms with their own sitting areas and some with a terrace, this is a perfect spot for a romantic hideawayHideaway - The property has a hands-off approach to service making this feel like you are in your own homeCountry Escape - Find chic Scandinavian interiors in this pretty rural spot tucked away above CernobbioViews - Stunning views over Lake Como
Casa Santo Stefano is an elegant, adults only guest house decorated in modern style with four chic guest rooms. Each has a small private lounge area and some have balconies with lake views. Unwind by the pool after a day exploring the surrounding area, and help yourself to the honesty bar! See More
Villa Flori Cernobbio 53 rooms from £188Cycling - Bike storage is provided and guests can either take an easy amble around the lake or head into the mountainsElegant - Beautifully mixing original stuccoes, floral frescoes and wooden floors alongside chic contemporary touchesFoodies - Ristorante Raimondi offers excellent Italian al fresco diningRomantic - A fairytale setting and rooms to match!
Villa d'Este Cernobbio 152 rooms from £599Garden - Set amid 25 acres of park including manicured gardens which feature magnificent fountains, grand terraces, and trimmed topiaryFoodies - The restaurant is a smart affair (there's a dress code). It served impeccible Italian fine-diningActive Holiday - There's plenty to keep everyone busy here from trekking to SUP or tennisElegant - Complete with glittering chandeliers and traditional art worksRecommended by - CN Traveller, Tablet