Search the best hotels in Le Marche
About Le Marche
Le Marche has a bit of everything. The Adriatic provides a stretch of sunny, winding coastline. The interior has the same kind of pretty medieval hill towns as Tuscany or Umbria and features many of the best places to stay in Le Marche, as well as some impressively pointy peaks. There's also rich farmland dotted with market towns, so plenty of unique local flavours to try. And because this is such a large region there are just so many fascinating historic stories to unravel.
One of the main challenges of visiting Le Marche is its size. It's a long drive between highlights, so choosing the right destination to make the most of Le Marche can be challenging. Here are some of the towns you may wish to base yourself in and why they're some of the best places to stay in Le Marche.
Many visitors to Urbino have little interest in the rest of the region, but this is one of the best places to stay in Le Marche for culture vultures. A key point along the pilgrimage of any art lover, Urbino became a cultural capital in the 15th Century, when Duca Federico da Montefeltro gathered his era's greatest artists, architects and Renaissance thinkers to the town, creating a true centre of beauty. But also a beautiful hilltop town.
Urbino has all the terracotta coloured architectural treasures of Umbria or Tuscany, but at only a fraction of the price, and with only a fraction of the visitors.
This historic little town is foodie heaven. Try the olive all'ascolana - olives stuffed with veal and fried - and the rustic style pizzas. Founded in the 9th Century, its history includes a relationship with ancient Rome, as well as the local region. Ascoli Piceno also has an excellent art gallery.
This is also one of the best places to stay in Le Marche if your knees can't quite handle Urbino - it's much flatter here.
If you want to base yourself on the coast, Pesaro is one of the best places to stay in Le Marche. It strikes a good balance between being a beach resort and an interesting town in its own right.
It will probably tick all the boxes if you're planning a family beach holiday. The Levante is probably the most family friendly of Pesaro's beaches, and while you need to pay to use some of it, the end stretch is free. In the height of the season you'll find the rows of sun loungers you'd expect from Italian resorts.
Pesaro's cathedral has some impressive Byzantine mosaics, the Musei Civici has an excellent little art collection and there are some nice architectural pieces dotted round the town.
Ancona is the main transport hub for Le Marche. There are flights, trains from Milan and ferries from Greece and Croatia. Most of the medieval architecture has been destroyed by war or earthquakes, but Ancona still has a few treasures. The 2nd Century Trajan's Arch watches over the port, but don't miss the cathedral of San Ciriaco and the Museo della Citta - you'll probably find yourself being surprised by this city's rich history.
What Not To Miss
- Go visit the spectacular Grotte di Frasassi, one of Europe's largest cave systems situated between Ancona and Perugia! It's a breathtaking spot, so be sure to remember your camera amd bring a jumper - it's chilly inside!
- Ascoli Piceno's Piazza del Popolo, steeped in history and brimming with charm, is an idyllic spot to wander around.
- The Santuario Della Santa Casa in Loreto (about 30km south of Ancona) is a wonderful church with truly magnificent interiors, and whose dome can be seen from miles around. Even if you're not religious, you're bound to be impressed.
- Urbino's Palazzo Ducale is not only a splendid building to wander around but also houses a superb art collection - including various originals by Raphael.
With such a large area the choice is vast. Take a look at our Guru's suggestions of the best places to stay in Le Marche and start planning your trip to this hidden gem.
- Hotel Alexander Museum Palace is a modern stunner, designed by local architects and located just a short distance from the centre of Pesaro. The rooms themselves are works of art, with plenty of murals and decorative features, whilst there's also a Michelin recognised restaurant and an infinity pool.
- Grand Hotel Vittoria offers chic Belle Époque style accommodation in Pesaro, overlooking the Adriatic. Spend your days on the beach before tucking into typical regional dishes.
- Set on a peninsula about 10km south of Ancona, the 4* Fortino Napoleonico boasts elegantly romantic accommodation and stunning ocean views. Treat yourself to a massage and enjoy evening meals on the terrace at sunset.
For A Hilltop village setting
- The Palazzo Leone is perfect if you're looking for a charming hilltop village setting. It's also well positioned between Urbino and Ascoli Piceno, so a great base to see them both.
For a Country Escape
- Boutique Hotel Magnolia, set in a glorious formerly abandoned farmhouse, has been wonderfully renovated to offer seven light, rustic chic suites with lovely views. You'll fall in love with the superb local cuisine served up!
Budget Country Escapes
- For lovers of rustic country houses, one of the best places to stay in Le Marche is Poggio Agli Ulivi. A working vineyard, this hotel is in a peaceful, rural setting only 15kms from Ancona. The open spaces and very reasonable prices (rooms start from £54 a night) mean this is ideal for families or those on a budget.
- Urbino Resort Tenuta Santi Giacomo & Philippo is a farmhouse spread across various buildings. Offering simple and comfortable rustic accommodation, some self-catering, there's an indoor and outdoor pool as well as a wellness centre in which to truly unwind.
- Casa Azzurra is a charming farmhouse offering cosy accommodation in a variety of pleasing hues. With only 8 rooms, it's also a fairly intimate spot, plus there's also a large outdoor pool and spa.
For Romantic Retreats
- Borgo Storico Seghetti Panichi is a dreamy stay, set in an historic country house and offering wonderfully romantic suites. Boasting an idyllic setting, spend your days relaxing by the pool in total tranquillity before enjoying delicious regional cuisine. 5 self-catering suites are also available for extra privacy.
For An Apartment Or Villa
- If you think you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- Best time to visit Le March is during the summer, with the top temperatures in July and August. This is peak tourist season though, so be sure to book ahead if you want to guarantee yourself a room in one of the best places to stay in Le Marche.
- Fly into Marche Airport, 12km west of Ancona, served daily by direct flights from Stansted and Liverpool by Ryanair. From the airport, you can take the train to elsewhere in the region.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Le Marche.
- Expand your search to include nearby Umbria.
- Or, feel free to contact one of our gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Le Marche
Best Hotels in Le Marche
Urbino Resort Tenuta Santi Giacomo & Philippo Pantiere, Urbino, Le Marche 32 rooms from £56Country Escape - 360 hectare organic farm of San GiacomoLearning - Near to home of artist Raffaello SanzioViews - Stunning views over verdant valleys.Spa - Modern Wellness Centre
A stunning farmhouse hotel spread across various manors. Rooms are themed on nature, with chic rustic furniture, large bathrooms and all the mod cons. Restaurant, bar, pools and spa. Cycling and valleys to explore. A great choice for good food, fresh air, and Italian views. See More
Casa Azzurra Macerata, Le Marche 8 rooms from £56Total relaxation - The main idea here is to gather a total sense of wellbeing.Eco - Powered by solar and thermal heating.Views - Great views from hotelCountry Escape
Poggio Agli Ulivi Ancona 8 rooms from £56Value chicSights nearby - Only 15km from Ancona. A great base for exploring the regionViews - Great views from hotelTraditional
La Querceta di Marnacchia Fermo, Le Marche 6 rooms from £74Back to Nature - A tranquil spot set in the hills that surround Monti Sibillini National Park where you can find wolves and eagles!Great walks - Explore the numerous nature trails in the region with routes to suit all abilitiesSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Sawdays
A beautiful yellow stone house set in the picturesque hills that surround the Monti Sibillini National Park. Traditional rooms are bright and spacious with exposed stone walls, cast iron beds, and hardwood floors. Spend days getting out into nature or simply lounging by the lovely pool. See More
Hotel Alexander Museum Palace Pesaro (Marche) 63 rooms from £83Great walks - The Parco Naturale Monte San Bartolo with its beautiful beaches and picturesque countryside is great for walking.Sights nearby - The Villa Imperiale di Pesaro is a Renaissance treasure trove and an insight into the region's history.Sailing - Explore the beauty of the Adriatic coast by boat.Views - Great views from hotel
Designed by a group of renowned local architects this hotel is a modern masterpiece. The michelin recognised restaurant is an aesthetic and culinary experience. Each room is a work of art with exuberant murals covering the walls and bathrooms. There is a stunning infinity pool and use of nearby gym. See More
Borgo della Spiga Cingoli (MC), Le Marche 6 rooms from £95Country Escape - A charming country house (with chic interiors) offering an utterly tranquil spot and boasting 360 degree views of rolling hillsFamilies - The two self catering loft apartments are ideal for families as they can comfortably accommodate 4Value chic - Beautifully chic accommodation at knock-down prices!Minimum Stay - There is a min stay of 2 nights in the B&B rooms and 3 for the lofts (7 night min for these in high season)Recommended by - Sawdays
A charming traditional farmhouse boasting spectacular views from its hilltop position. Interiors have been beautifully renovated giving a fresh contemporary feel where exposed stone sits against whitewashed walls. A designer pool is a real draw (as are the homemade cakes). An intimate rural escape. See More
Castello di Monterado Le Marche 12 rooms from £101Country Escape - An elegant castello set in beautifully manicures gardens amidst picturesque countryside - an grand rural escapeValue chic - Despite this being an undeniably grand stay it also comes at a very reasonable rateCooking classes - Cookery classes are held in the castello's kitchen to teach guests regional dishesSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRecommended by - Sawdays
An elegant castello set within picturesque gardens complete with a lovely pool. Interiors have been carefully restored to their prior opulence complete with intricate frescoes, antiques, and chandeliers. Homemade breakfasts are served alfresco; a grand rural escape offered at very reasonable rates. See More
Castello di Granarola Gradara (PU) Marche, Le Marche 19 rooms from £112Country Escape - A charming and secluded rural house with wonderful walking country nearbyGreat walks - Explore the miles of hiking trails that run through the Natural Reserve ParkFull of characterSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Sawdays
An ancient castle whose watchtower and outbuildings have been turned into a chic rural escape. Each self-contained building has its own kitchen for those wishing to self-cater. All individually styled, the accommodation has a rustic-chic feel. A large pool sits in the middle and the beach is nearby. See More
Borgo Farneto Serra de Conti, Le Marche 4 rooms from £113Local exploring - A lovely base from which to explore the beautiful Le Marche countryside.Groups - Up to twelve people would fill the entire property nicelyGreat walks - Take long walks through the surrounding countryside and along the coastSights nearby - Discover the pretty hilltop town of UrbinoRecommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Four boho-chic cottages set in a spectacular spot in coastal Tuscany. Cottages sleep between 2 - 6 and feature cute (well-equipped) kitchens, wood-burning stoves, and exposed stone walls. A large infinity pool lends lovely views. Each guest is given an e-bike and yoga classes are held poolside. See More
Grand Hotel Vittoria Pesaro (Marche) 27 rooms from £115Sights nearby - The famous composer Rossini’s house is within easy reach and worth a visit.Views - Great views from hotelSailing - Can be booked nearby.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
A 'Belle Époque' villa with manicured gardens overlooking the Adriatic. Decorated in colours typical of the period with a sunny yellow sitting room & atmospheric bar in dark wood and green leather. Cuisine is of the Marche school. Blue and gold rooms have spacious bathrooms. There is a pool and gym. See More
Foresteria Filodivino San Marcello (AN), Le Marche 8 rooms from £124Country Escape - Surrounded by acres of vineyards and rolling hills this is an utterly tranquil rural escape.Great walks - Take long picturesque walks starting straight from the property.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Tablet
A working winery and chic guesthouse in the relatively undiscovered, and astoundingly scenic, region of Le Marche. A handful of rooms are beautifully renovated with simple modern furniture, tiled furniture and white-washed walls. Expect a glorious infinity pool, wine tasting and exemplary cuisine. See More
Casa San Ruffino Montegiorgio, Le Marche 4 rooms from £130Views - Stunning view from its hilltop positionRestrictions on children - Over 14s welcome.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Sawdays
Hotel Leone Montelparo, Le Marche 8 rooms from £130Views - Fabulous views from the terrace all the way over to the AdriaticLocal exploringTotal relaxationFoodiesRecommended by - Sawdays
Boutique Hotel Magnolia Montefiore dell'Aso, Le Marche 7 rooms from £130Views - Wonderful views over the surrounding countryside from its hilltop positionCooking classes - Learn the secrets of Le Marche cuisineSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Fortino Napoleonico Ancona 30 rooms from £152Views - Stunning panoramic views from the peninsula.Beach LifeSights nearby - Plebiscito, Teatro delle Muse, Loggia dei Mercanti and Vanvitelli's Lazzaretto.Lakeside - Two salt lakes make up part of the wildlife park.
A good Four Star hotel set on a peninsula just outside the bay of Portonovo. Stunning panoramic views from every angle, fabulous access to the beach, lots of exploring of the regional park. Elegant rooms and suites have romantic furnishings. Family friendly and with excellent facilities. See More
Borgo Storico Seghetti Panichi Le Marche 11 rooms from £199Romantic Break - A wonderfully romantic Italianate villa with boutique rooms.Weddings - The hotel would be the perfect setting for a wedding.Luxury - Superbly luxurious with traditional Italian flair.Views - Stunning views over the hills of Le Marche.
A desperately romantic Italian country house, now a boutique hotel with glorious suites and some self-catering apartments. Each room decorated with original flair and elegance. Stunning views from historic gardens and fabulous regional cuisine. Romantic, gourmet, family friendly. See More
Monterosato Country House Le Marche 5 rooms from £213Foodies - The surrounding region is one of the best culinary centres in Italy and there are a number of culinary festivals in the summerLocal exploring - Dubbed the 'New Tuscany', the Le Marche region boasts a number of towns steeped in rich history and heritageFamilies - With a self-catering apartment to rent, this is ideal accomodation for a family holidaySights nearby - The surrounding towns in Le Marche region are renowned for their rich heritage and architecture
Set in rolling olive groves and vineyards, the Monterosato offers self-catering accommodation. The rooms feature traditional, ornate furniture, stone-flooring, exposed beams and skylights. Offering a continental breakfast and outdoor pool. An ideal base to explore the region. See More