Search the best hotels in Le Marche
About Le Marche
Le Marche has a bit of everything. The Adriatic provides a stretch of sunny, winding coastline. The interior has the same kind of pretty medieval hill towns as Tuscany or Umbria and features many of the best places to stay in Le Marche, as well as some impressively pointy peaks. There's also rich farmland dotted with market towns, so plenty of unique local flavours to try. And because this is such a large region there are just so many fascinating historic stories to unravel.
One of the main challenges of visiting Le Marche is its size. It's a long drive between highlights, so choosing the right destination to make the most of Le Marche can be challenging. Here are some of the towns you may wish to base yourself in and why they're some of the best places to stay in Le Marche.
Many visitors to Urbino have little interest in the rest of the region, but this is one of the best places to stay in Le Marche for culture vultures. A key point along the pilgrimage of any art lover, Urbino became a cultural capital in the 15th Century, when Duca Federico da Montefeltro gathered his era's greatest artists, architects and Renaissance thinkers to the town, creating a true centre of beauty. But also a beautiful hilltop town.
Urbino has all the terracotta coloured architectural treasures of Umbria or Tuscany, but at only a fraction of the price, and with only a fraction of the visitors.
This historic little town is foodie heaven. Try the olive all'ascolana - olives stuffed with veal and fried - and the rustic style pizzas. Founded in the 9th Century, its history includes a relationship with ancient Rome, as well as the local region. Ascoli Piceno also has an excellent art gallery.
This is also one of the best places to stay in Le Marche if your knees can't quite handle Urbino - it's much flatter here.
If you want to base yourself on the coast, Pesaro is one of the best places to stay in Le Marche. It strikes a good balance between being a beach resort and an interesting town in its own right.
It will probably tick all the boxes if you're planning a family beach holiday. The Levante is probably the most family friendly of Pesaro's beaches, and while you need to pay to use some of it, the end stretch is free. In the height of the season you'll find the rows of sun loungers you'd expect from Italian resorts.
Pesaro's cathedral has some impressive Byzantine mosaics, the Musei Civici has an excellent little art collection and there are some nice architectural pieces dotted round the town.
Ancona is the main transport hub for Le Marche. There are flights, trains from Milan and ferries from Greece and Croatia. Most of the medieval architecture has been destroyed by war or earthquakes, but Ancona still has a few treasures. The 2nd Century Trajan's Arch watches over the port, but don't miss the cathedral of San Ciriaco and the Museo della Citta - you'll probably find yourself being surprised by this city's rich history.
What Not To Miss
- Go visit the spectacular Grotte di Frasassi, one of Europe's largest cave systems situated between Ancona and Perugia! It's a breathtaking spot, so be sure to remember your camera amd bring a jumper - it's chilly inside!
- Ascoli Piceno's Piazza del Popolo, steeped in history and brimming with charm, is an idyllic spot to wander around.
- The Santuario Della Santa Casa in Loreto (about 30km south of Ancona) is a wonderful church with truly magnificent interiors, and whose dome can be seen from miles around. Even if you're not religious, you're bound to be impressed.
- Urbino's Palazzo Ducale is not only a splendid building to wander around but also houses a superb art collection - including various originals by Raphael.
With such a large area the choice is vast. Take a look at our Guru's suggestions of the best places to stay in Le Marche and start planning your trip to this hidden gem.
- Hotel Alexander Museum Palace is a modern stunner, designed by local architects and located just a short distance from the centre of Pesaro. The rooms themselves are works of art, with plenty of murals and decorative features, whilst there's also a Michelin recognised restaurant and an infinity pool.
- Grand Hotel Vittoria offers chic Belle Époque style accommodation in Pesaro, overlooking the Adriatic. Spend your days on the beach before tucking into typical regional dishes.
- Set on a peninsula about 10km south of Ancona, the 4* Fortino Napoleonico boasts elegantly romantic accommodation and stunning ocean views. Treat yourself to a massage and enjoy evening meals on the terrace at sunset.
For A Hilltop village setting
- The Palazzo Leone is perfect if you're looking for a charming hilltop village setting. It's also well positioned between Urbino and Ascoli Piceno, so a great base to see them both.
For a Country Escape
- Boutique Hotel Magnolia, set in a glorious formerly abandoned farmhouse, has been wonderfully renovated to offer seven light, rustic chic suites with lovely views. You'll fall in love with the superb local cuisine served up!
Budget Country Escapes
- For lovers of rustic country houses, one of the best places to stay in Le Marche is Poggio Agli Ulivi. A working vineyard, this hotel is in a peaceful, rural setting only 15kms from Ancona. The open spaces and very reasonable prices (rooms start from £54 a night) mean this is ideal for families or those on a budget.
- Urbino Resort Tenuta Santi Giacomo & Philippo is a farmhouse spread across various buildings. Offering simple and comfortable rustic accommodation, some self-catering, there's an indoor and outdoor pool as well as a wellness centre in which to truly unwind.
- Casa Azzurra is a charming farmhouse offering cosy accommodation in a variety of pleasing hues. With only 8 rooms, it's also a fairly intimate spot, plus there's also a large outdoor pool and spa.
For Romantic Retreats
- Borgo Storico Seghetti Panichi is a dreamy stay, set in an historic country house and offering wonderfully romantic suites. Boasting an idyllic setting, spend your days relaxing by the pool in total tranquillity before enjoying delicious regional cuisine. 5 self-catering suites are also available for extra privacy.
For An Apartment Or Villa
- If you think you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- Best time to visit Le March is during the summer, with the top temperatures in July and August. This is peak tourist season though, so be sure to book ahead if you want to guarantee yourself a room in one of the best places to stay in Le Marche.
- Fly into Marche Airport, 12km west of Ancona, served daily by direct flights from Stansted and Liverpool by Ryanair. From the airport, you can take the train to elsewhere in the region.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Le Marche
Urbino Resort Tenuta Santi Giacomo & Philippo 32 rooms from £56Pantiere, Urbino, Le Marche
A stunning farmhouse hotel spread across various manors. Rooms are themed on nature, with chic rustic furniture, large bathrooms and all the mod cons. Restaurant, bar, pools and spa. Cycling and valleys to explore. A great choice for good food, fresh air, and Italian views.Country Escape - 360 hectare organic farm of San GiacomoLearning - Near to home of artist Raffaello SanzioViews - Stunning views over verdant valleys.Spa - Modern Wellness Centre
Casa Azzurra 8 rooms from £56Macerata, Le Marche
A rural farmhouse perched in the Loro Piceno hills. Contemporary zen spaces, solar powered energy, rustic fresh produce, spa, and large pool. The ideal spot for fresh air and simple pleasures in a countryside setting.Total relaxation - The main idea here is to gather a total sense of wellbeing.Eco - Powered by solar and thermal heating.Country EscapeViews - Great views from hotel
Poggio Agli Ulivi 8 rooms from £57Ancona
Lovely rustic country house hotel with its own vineyards. Simple rooms, excellent fresh and local food, swimming pool, and lots of activities. A great value choice for an active family holiday.Value chicSights nearby - Only 15km from Ancona. A great base for exploring the regionViews - Great views from hotelTraditional
Hotel Alexander Museum Palace 63 rooms from £84Pesaro (Marche)
Designed by a group of renowned local architects this hotel is a modern masterpiece. The michelin recognised restaurant is an aesthetic and culinary experience. Each room is a work of art with exuberant murals covering the walls and bathrooms. There is a stunning infinity pool and use of nearby gym.Great walks - The Parco Naturale Monte San Bartolo with its beautiful beaches and picturesque countryside is great for walking.Sights nearby - The Villa Imperiale di Pesaro is a Renaissance treasure trove and an insight into the region's history.Sailing - Explore the beauty of the Adriatic coast by boat.Views - Great views from hotel
Grand Hotel Vittoria 27 rooms from £117Pesaro (Marche)
A 'Belle Époque' villa with manicured gardens overlooking the Adriatic. Decorated in colours typical of the period with a sunny yellow sitting room & atmospheric bar in dark wood and green leather. Cuisine is of the Marche school. Blue and gold rooms have spacious bathrooms. There is a pool and gym.Sights nearby - The famous composer Rossini’s house is within easy reach and worth a visit.Views - Great views from hotelLocal markets - Good for local colour.Full of character
Foresteria Filodivino 8 rooms from £125San Marcello (AN), Le Marche
A working winery and chic guesthouse in the relatively undiscovered, and astoundingly scenic, region of Le Marche. A handful of rooms are beautifully renovated with simple modern furniture, tiled furniture and white-washed walls. Expect a glorious infinity pool, wine tasting and exemplary cuisine.Country Escape - Surrounded by acres of vineyards and rolling hills this is an utterly tranquil rural escape.Great walks - Take long picturesque walks starting straight from the property.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolFull of characterRecommended by - Tablet
Casa San Ruffino 4 rooms from £132Montegiorgio, Le Marche
A charming B&B country house in a stunning hilltop position overlooking sleepy hamlets in the valleys below. Gorgeously and luxuriously simple; neat rooms, gardens, swimming pool, breakfast room and views. Perfect for local exploring or a romantic break.Views - Stunning view from its hilltop positionRestrictions on children - Over 14s welcome.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorTraditionalRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Sawdays
Hotel Leone 8 rooms from £132Montelparo, Le Marche
Charming country hotel in a hilltop village with sweeping valley views. Rooms, suites, and one apartment chicly decorated in whites with splashes of modern art. Fabulous food, pizza oven, swimming pool and terrace. Ideal for couples, groups, and romantic breaks.Views - Fabulous views from the terrace all the way over to the AdriaticFoodiesTotal relaxationLocal exploringRecommended by - Sawdays
Boutique Hotel Magnolia 7 rooms from £132Montefiore dell'Aso, Le Marche
With its own winery, outdoor swimming pool and acclaimed restaurant, this boutique hotel offers the best of rural Italian life. The seven suites are light, spacious and comfortable, and have fantastic views. Ideal for food lovers and couples.Views - Wonderful views over the surrounding countryside from its hilltop positionCooking classes - Learn the secrets of Le Marche cuisineSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Fortino Napoleonico 30 rooms from £152Ancona
A good Four Star hotel set on a peninsula just outside the bay of Portonovo. Stunning panoramic views from every angle, fabulous access to the beach, lots of exploring of the regional park. Elegant rooms and suites have romantic furnishings. Family friendly and with excellent facilities.Views - Stunning panoramic views from the peninsula.Beach LifeSights nearby - Plebiscito, Teatro delle Muse, Loggia dei Mercanti and Vanvitelli's Lazzaretto.Romantic - Good for couples.
Borgo Storico Seghetti Panichi 11 rooms from £199Le Marche
A desperately romantic Italian country house, now a boutique hotel with glorious suites and some self-catering apartments. Each room decorated with original flair and elegance. Stunning views from historic gardens and fabulous regional cuisine. Romantic, gourmet, family friendly.Romantic Break - A wonderfully romantic Italianate villa with boutique rooms.Weddings - The hotel would be the perfect setting for a wedding.Luxury - Superbly luxurious with traditional Italian flair.Views - Stunning views over the hills of Le Marche.
Monterosato Country House 5 rooms from £215Le Marche
Set in rolling olive groves and vineyards, the Monterosato offers self-catering accommodation. The rooms feature traditional, ornate furniture, stone-flooring, exposed beams and skylights. Offering a continental breakfast and outdoor pool. An ideal base to explore the region.Foodies - The surrounding region is one of the best culinary centres in Italy and there are a number of culinary festivals in the summerLocal exploring - Dubbed the 'New Tuscany', the Le Marche region boasts a number of towns steeped in rich history and heritageFamilies - With a self-catering apartment to rent, this is ideal accomodation for a family holidaySights nearby - The surrounding towns in Le Marche region are renowned for their rich heritage and architecture