20 of The Best Luxury Hotels in the South of France
The South of France has long been associated with luxury. From the glitterati that frequent Saint Tropez in the summer months to the equally glamorous Cannes. Then, of course, there are those beautiful hidden chateaux, deep in the countryside, that are often converted into the best luxury hotels in the South of France.
The best thing about holidaying in the South of France is the wide choice of accommodation on offer for a luxury traveller. Whether you are planning a trip with the family and need plenty of activities and space or you want a property complete with Michelin starred dining, our gurus have compiled a list to suit everybody's needs.
For a rural break
Hotel Crillon Le Brave is a hilltop hotel in the heart of Provence surrounded by vineyards and olive groves. Elegant rooms offer style, views and deep indulgent bath tubs. Expect fine dining on the terrace, drinks by the pool and an indulgent spa. Rural perfection.
- Chateau de Berne is a luxurious five star manor farm-cum-chateau on a 1,500-acre private estate of vineyards, also in Provence. Expect chic elegant rooms, exceptional, Michelin starred french cuisine and wine options (many of which come from the estate). With a glorious spa and infinity pool, this is a truly indulgent French escape.
- The magnificent Château St. Pierre de Serjac (complete with a vineyard) is set amidst 200 acres of rolling Languedoc countryside. Accommodation includes eight rooms, lovingly decorated in a classic French style and 36 self-catering properties. All achingly stylish.
For a private beach
- For some serious glamour Cap Estel is a perfect choice. Located between Nice and Monaco, it's a beautifully converted mansion sitting on a clifftop peninsula. With a gourmet restaurant (Michelin starred), spa, salt-water infinity pool, and its own private beach you will be left wanting for nothing here.
- Hotel Belles Rives is a beautiful coastal property set on the Cap d’Antibes. Art deco rooms boast terraces with spectacular views. With its own private stretch of beach and a range of watersports on offer this is a perfect choice for a spoiling beach break.
For five stars
- For classic French style and a Riviera setting it does not get much better than Château de la Chèvre d’Or. Featuring elegant rooms, an indulgent spa, and a choice of three restaurants; there's hardly a need to leave!
- Les Bories is a sublime five star hotel overlooking the Luberon Valley. Boasting beautiful surrounds, a spoiling spa, and superlative dining. Perfect for a relaxing rural escape.
- Château Saint-Martin & Spa is a fairytale property set in the hills above St Paul de Vence. Boasting spectacular sea views and interiors that are perfectly rural-chic. The Michelin starred restaurant is the obvious draw, however, there's that superb spa too. A very attractive stay.
- Grand Hotel du Cap Ferrat has all the elegance and glamour one would expect of a luxury French Riviera stay. With wonderful sea views, an infinity pool and a Michelin starred restaurant, this is a tough one to beat.
- La Mirande is an immaculately decorated former Cardinal's mansion in Avignon. The suites have a feel of a bygone era and the acclaimed Michelin starred restaurant draws patrons from far and wide.
- La Bastide de Gordes is perched atop the stunning hillside village of Gordes. Louis XV style rooms exude opulence and luxury, whilst the Sisley Paris spa is divine. Pick this property for the Michelin starred restaurant with magnificent views over the Luberon Valley.
- While Villa Gallici may not have the Michelin star credentials of others on this list, the restaurant here is one of the best in Aix and is reassuringly popular with locals. The hotel itself is flamboyant and fun, surrounded by Florentine gardens and terraces.
- The 19th-century castle with wine estate, Chateau Les Carrasses, has been lovingly turned into a luxurious stay in the Languedoc region. Accommodation ranges from suites to three bed villas with private pools. The food and wine pairing are ever popular as is the Mediterranean Brasserie.
For a wellness retreat
- Lily of the Valley is an exclusive retreat set in an enviable position on the French Riviera. The hotel's bespoke suites feel like private residencies and personally tailored wellness programmes ensure a rejuvenating stay.
- Chateau des Alpilles is a truly magnificent hotel set in beautiful parkland, not far from St Remy de Provence. Comprising of three buildings; the manor, chapel, and farmhouse. With self-contained apartments offered and ample space, this is perfect for those travelling with children.
- Five Seas Hotel offers beautiful rooms, views and superlative food in one of the most luxurious locations in the world. Metres from the beach, yet in the heart of Cannes, this hotel really does have it all. Treatments and massages in Cinq Mondes Spa, delicious food in SeaSens, and a rooftop pool with unbeatable views.
- The luxurious Negresco Hotel is centrally located in Nice just a short distance from the beach. Offering a VIP stay with opulently decorated rooms and dining in the spectacular two-Michelin starred Le Chantecler restaurant.
For Saint Tropez
- This property may not be in the heart of Saint Tropez (in fact it is on a hill just outside) but that is exactly Althoff Hotel Villa Belrose's charm. With romantic suites offering spectacular views over the bay, plenty of space, and a luxury spa this is a very alluring stay.
- Simplicity and elegance combine at Muse, a luxury five-star hotel just outside St Tropez. Everything is geared towards relaxation with a spa, a tranquil outdoor pool, a stunning landscaped garden and a superb seafood restaurant.
- Lou Pinet is a luxury hotel occupying a picturesque and tranquil spot set back from the coast. Spacious rooms have a retro-cool feel, the building is centred around a glorious pool, and there's a glamorous restaurant. The epitome of Saint Tropez chic.
If you haven’t found your ideal property on our Guru’s list of 20 of the best luxury hotels in the South of France you could:
- Fine tune your search and see all our properties in the Cote D'Azur, Cannes, Nice, or St Tropez.
- Or refine your search to our recommendations for 15 of the best beach hotels on the Côte d'Azur, or the best hotels in the Côte d'Azur hills.
- Still not sure? Then contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Althoff Hotel Villa Belrose St Tropez (Cote d'Azur) 40 rooms from £672Total relaxation - With a spa, pool, restaurant and bar on-site, this hotel is a great place to unwind and relax on your next holidayHoneymoons - Book a suite at this luxury hotel for a honeymoon with added indulgenceRomantic Break - Couples love the VIP service at this exclusive hotel and spaSailing - Enjoy a sailing trip during your stay at this exclusive hotel; enquire at the hotel regarding boat hireRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
This luxury hotel is nestled on a hill just outside of Saint-Tropez. Rooms have neoclassical soft furnishings with a modern finish; the best suites have a private terrace with views over the bay of Saint-Tropez. Eat in the restaurant or by the pool before booking in at the luxury spa. A VIP retreat. See More
Cap Estel Eze (Cote d'Azur) 18 rooms from £754Swimming Pool - Salt-water infinity pool overlooking the sea and Indoor poolBeach nearby - Private beach.ChicOutstanding locationRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Kiwi Collection
Château de la Chèvre d’Or Eze (Cote d'Azur) 38 rooms from £521Romantic Break - With breathtaking views over the French Riviera from this hotel, it makes a great romantic setting for a couple's getawaySpa breaks - With an on-site spa offering a range of high-end treatments, this hotel is a perfect spa break destinationFoodies - Foodies willl swoon at the choice of two gourmet restaurants plus a café and bar at this luxury hotelGreat walks - Discover the beautiful natural setting surrounding the hotel with a long walk; enquire with the hotel for recommended routesRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
This five-star, luxury hotel is located on the beautiful French Riviera. Rooms are dressed in a classical style, with some boasting exposed stone walls and a private balcony; the best suites offer panoramic riviera views. Choose from three eateries before booking in at the spa. An exclusive getaway. See More
Muse St Tropez (Ramatuelle) 14 rooms from £451Total relaxation - A small luxurious hotel set in a quiet spot in scenic Ramatuelle, a place to unwind and be pampered.Spa - La Tente by Spa Village offers a wide range of relaxing treatments to be enjoyed in a tent amid the fragrant gardensGreat walks - Take a stroll from the hotel to Eglise de St Tropez and enjoy the lovely views.Local markets - Peruse the Place des Lices market and buy local produce and antiques.
Château Saint-Martin & Spa Saint Paul de Vence 46 rooms from £425Honeymoons - An enchanting fariytale hotel with charming suites, private balconies with spectacular views of the sea.Foodies - There are several fantastic restaurants including the Michelin starred Saint Martin.Sights nearby - Close to the Chapelle du Rosaire de Vence, a church designed by Henri Matisse.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool within lovely gardensRecommended by - Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux, Fodors
Lou Pinet St Tropez 34 rooms from £339Total relaxation - Occupying a tranquil spot just outside St Tropez complete with a spa and glorious swimming pool to lounge besideLocal markets - Head to the Place de Lices and purchase local produce (markets every Tuesday and Saturday)Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A chic St Tropez hotel occupying a picturesque and tranquil spot set back from the coast. Retro rooms are spacious and bright with pops of colour breaking up the whitewashed walls, plenty of light, and indulgent bathrooms. A large swimming pool is a real draw as is the glamorous restaurant. See More
Lily of the Valley Ramatuelle (Quartier de Gigaro) 44 rooms from £332Active Holiday - With a huge wellness village dedicated to sports, fitness and health, this hotel is perfect for guests looking to keep activeBeach Life - Set a stone's throw from the fine sands of Gigaro Beach and the Mediterranean, this hotel makes a luxury seaside getawayHideaway - Set on Gigaro Hill, away from the hustel and bustle of St Tropez, book this hotel for your next hideaway holidayFull of character
This exclusive retreat is nestled between the French Riviera and St Tropez. The hotel's bespoke suites feel like private residences, with oversized, open-plan bedrooms which play with texture, contrasting exotic wood, leather and concrete. Book onto a tailored wellness program during your stay. See More
Five Seas Hotel Cannes 45 rooms from £163Restaurant - 2 restaurants. Sea Sens has 1 Michelin star, run by chef Arnaud TabarecViews - Great views from hotelSpa - Spa By Cinq Mondes has 4 treatment rooms with a range of services on offerSwimming Pool - 13m stainless steel rooftop infinity pool, offering stunning viewsRecommended by - Tablet
Beautiful rooms, views and food in one of the most luxurious locations in the world. Metres from the beach, yet in the heart of Cannes, this hotel really does have it all. Treatments and massages in Cinq Mondes, delicious food in SeaSens, and a rooftop pool with views to stun one and all. See More
Grand Hotel du Cap-Ferrat Saint Jean Cap Ferrat (06230 Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat) 73 rooms from £293Romantic Break - In a stunning location, surrounded by romantic gardens and terraces, this is an ideal spot for a luxurious getaway for twoFoodies - Enjoy stunning Mediterranean cuisine at Le Cap Restaurant which boasts 1 Michelin starSights nearby - Head to the villas of Santo Sospir and Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild, as interesting as they are magnificentSwimming Pool - Stunning saltwater infinity pool that literally hangs above the Med, plus another indoor pool in the spa
Luxury hotel which oozes sunny decadence. Contemporary interiors retain their art deco features and its quintessential Riviera character, with grand high ceilings, arches and colonnades; while light-filled rooms have a fresh palette and tasteful decor. The Michelin starred restaurant seals the deal! See More
Hotel Belles Rives Juan les Pins (Cap d'Antibes) 42 rooms from £305Beach Life - Located on the seafront and with its own private stretch of beach, this hotel is a great base for a relaxed seaside holidayRomantic Break - The beautiful cove setting and high-end facilities at this hotel make it a great base for a romantic getawayFamilies - The idyllic ottage is perfect for families travelling with children, or Junior suites sleep four.Local markets - Get an early start with a trip to the Cours Saleya Flower Market, a traditional flower marketRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
This five-star hotel is located on the Cap d’Antibes on the exclusive Côte d'Azur. Rooms are dressed in an Art Deco style with luxurious prints and unique design pieces; the best have a terrace with sea views. There is a self-catering cottage for groups plus 3 hotel restaurants and bars; a VIP stay. See More
Negresco Hotel Nice 125 rooms from £125Sights nearby - Visit Promenade du Paillon or the Ancient Fort of Mont BoronGreat walks - Take a lesiurely stroll arounf the Albert 1st GardensSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.OpulentRecommended by - Fodors, Frommers, Michelin Travel
The luxurious Negresco Hotel is centrally located in Nice, a short distance from the beach. Feel like a VIP in their opulently decorated and spacious rooms which fuse antique furniture with bright colours-a unique experience! Be sure to try their Michelin 2* Le Chantecler restaurant. A divine stay! See More
La Mirande Avignon, Provence 21 rooms from £399Local markets - Tuesday to Sunday from 6 a.m. onwards, you must visit the covered market, les Halles to buy fresh local produce.Cooking classes - The hotel's chefs have organised a cookery school to teach guests all their favourite receipes.Sights nearby - Situated opposite the Papal Palace.Full of characterRecommended by - I Escape, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
An immaculately decorated and furnished former Cardinal's mansion in the city center. The suites will transport you back to another time with parquet floors, bold wallpapers, and sumptuous beds. Sit out in the sculpture filled courtyard enjoying the Michelin-starred cuisine. Chic and sophisticated. See More
Villa Gallici Aix-en-Provence 22 rooms from £377Garden - Beautiful Florentine gardens shaded by Cypress trees.Restaurant - Recommended.Local markets - Just a short stroll down the road to Place des Prêcheurs brings you to the local market.Sights nearby - Right in the centre of town you are a few minutes walk from the beautiful Aix Cathedral.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
A flamboyant hotel surrounded by Florentine gardens, terraces, and large pool. Lavish fabrics and a healthy smattering of bold wallpaper give a over wrought luxurious feel to the suites. The restaurant is one of the best in Aix and always full of locals. Romantic and pampering, for a special treat. See More
Hotel Crillon le Brave Crillon le Brave, Provence 34 rooms from £278Foodies - The spectacular cusine is locally and sustainable sourced- reflected in the unbeatable flavour and understanding of ingrediants.Total relaxation - Lounge by the pool and soak up the breathtaking views, pamper in the spa or gorge in the restaurant- utter heaven!Honeymoons - You could not find a more romantic or picturesque spot- plus the village set up lends a private feel to the rooms.Local markets - In typical French style, each local village has a market day, ask at the front desk for details.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Relais & Chateaux, Tablet
A hilltop hotel in the heart of Provence surrounded by vineyards and olive groves. Elegant rooms offer style, views and soak baths. Fine dining on the terrace and a drink by the pool. Guests are enticed by the spa; the local charm and romantic feel about the place. A beautiful and memorable stay. See More
Les Bories Gordes 33 rooms from £278Total relaxation - Luxuriate in the extensive spa, feast on fantastic food on leafy terraces and unwind in the elegant suites.Sights nearby - Explore the gorgeous hilltop village of Gordes.Great walks - Stunning walking on the nearby Ochre Trail.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Le Chateau des Alpilles Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, Provence 21 rooms from £280Families - The Cyrpess farm has been renovated into an apartment and a loft, ideal for families, couples or groups of friends.Garden - Beautiful parklands covering four hectares to stroll through the Magnolia and Biloba trees.Honeymoons - The chapel has two rooms perfect for honeymooners.Foodies - Two gourmet restaurants.
A truly magnificent hotel set in parklands of magnolia trees. Three buildings, the Manor, the Cyrpress Farm, and the Chapel, to choose from. All immaculately decorated in muted tones with sophisticated furnishings and private terraces. Pools and two gourmet restaurants. Romantic, family friendly. See More
Château de Berne Lorgues, Provence 27 rooms from £234Spa breaks - Situated overlooking the vines and olive groves and boasting hot tubs, a sauna, steam room, sun lounge and relaxation space.Country Escape - A lovely chateau in the heart of the Vineyard Region, set in a 491 hectare forest with fragrant gardens and a swimming pool.Great walks - Six footpaths run through the estate farm lands, river banks, forest and vineyards.Cooking classes - Master French cuisine at the professional cookery school on site.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Luxurious five star manor farm-cum-chateau on 1,500-acre private estate of vineyards. Chic elegant rooms in gentle hues and flooded with light. Exceptional french cuisine and wine options many coming from the estate. Glorious spa and infinity pool. A truly indulgent french escape. See More
La Bastide de Gordes Gordes 40 rooms from £169Foodies - Foodies will not be disappointed with the wide range of eateries on offer here from fine dining to Asian fusionRomantic Break - Situated in one of France's most picturesque villages, it's perfect for a romantic weekend away.Sights nearby - Stunning medieval village of Gordes is 5 minutes walk away.Great walks - Beautiful Rousillon Ochre Trail is five miles away.
Perched atop the stunning hillside village of Gordes, comes a spectacular hotel to match its surroundings. Louis XV style rooms exude opulence and luxury, whilst the Sisley Paris spa is divine. Dine in a Michelin starred restaurant with magnificent views over the Luberon valley. A hilltop wonder. See More
Château Les Carrasses Capestang (Quarante) 28 rooms from £145Great walks - There are some great walks through the Languedoc countryside.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Local markets - Good for local colour.Kayaking - Available locally.
A 19th-century castle with wine estate, lovingly turned into a luxurious stay. Accommodation ranges from suites to three bed villas with private pools. All decorated in a modern yet unmistakably French style. Très chic. The food and wine pairing is popular as is the Mediterranean Brasserie. See More
Château St. Pierre de Serjac Languedoc, Puissalicon, Herault 93 rooms from £174Great walks - Plenty of scenic walking routes leading directly from the property through the Languedoc countryside.Spa - Cinq Mondes Spa with treatment rooms, sauna, hot tub, pool, and hammamLocal markets - The property hosts farmer's markets for locals and guests to attend.Kids Club - Fully staffed.
A magnificent Château with vineyard set amidst 200 acres of rolling countryside. Accommodation includes eight rooms, lovingly decorated in a classic French style and 36 self-catering properties. All achingly stylish. Fine dining restaurant, spa, indoor and outdoor pools. The list goes on! See More