- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
The Best Italian Lakes Hotels
Our independent travel experts make their recommendations for the best Italian Lakes Hotels.
It’s been a hard job, but someone has had to relax on all those beautiful sun terraces appreciating the near-perfect views. And someone has had to try out all those wonderfully welcoming hotel pools - even the ones which float gracefully on top of the lakes themselves. And someone has had to dine out in all those restaurants, and sleep in a slew of graceful rooms. But now it’s done, and here are our Gurus' recommendations for the best Italian Lakes hotels.
Refine your search using one of our Guru’s collections:
- The Best Places to Stay on Lake Garda
- The Best Places to Stay on Lake Como
- The Best Places to Stay on Lake Maggiore
- The Best Places to Stay on Lake Orta
- The Best Places to Stay on Lake Iseo
The Best Italian Lakes Hotels
With the Best Views
- The lakeside Locanda San Vigilio in Garda is an elegant, 14 room hotel owned and run by an Italian count! It’s been a hotel for 500 years and it’s immaculately decorated with antiques and beautiful objets. The hotel even has it’s own Emporium where you can buy beautiful things.
- The Bellevue San Lorenzo, right on Lake Garda in Malcesine, is a pretty Belle Epoque villa turned 52 room hotel. As well as being surrounded by beautiful grounds and having lovely lake views, the villa has an outdoor pool, fitness centre and spa.
- Or try Lake Como’s opulent Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni, an old elegant grand dame in Bellagio, with all the trappings of old fashioned luxury. Think doric columns, beautiful antiques, frescoed ceilings, grand sun terraces, spectacular lake views - of course - and a Michelin starred restaurant. They also have a private boat.
The Most Romantic Italian Lakes Hotels
- The Hotel Florence, in Lake Como’s glamorous Bellagio, is a stunning hotel with design mimicking its Florentine namesake. It has just 27 lovely rooms and sumptuous suites, some with private balconies and spectacular views - of course! There’s also a gourmet restaurant and a small spa, and all starting from around £130 per night.
- The Relais Villa Vittoria in Laglio is a wonderfully romantic hotel right on the edge of the lake. As well as beautiful views, this hotel has 11 delicately sumptuous rooms, an excellent restaurant, and peaceful terraces overlooking the lake. Perfect for honeymooners.
- The Villa Feltrinelli in Gargnano, Lake Garda, is a beautiful aristocratic villa conversion, with 21 rooms boasting restored interiors incluing antiques, beautiful fabrics and paintings. There’s also a Michelin starred restaurant. A stunning property and perfect for the most romantic of honeymoons.....if the budget will stretch that far!
- Or there’s Garda Riviera’s Villa Fiordaliso, a grand 19th Century Liberty-style villa with beautiful, historic interiors and a gourmet restaurant. There are just five rooms, which are traditional but timeless, and all with beautiful views of the lake. There’s also Michelin starred dining and lovely gardens and terraces.
For a lakeside spot
- The Grand Hotel Tremezzo has 89 elegant rooms right on edge of Lake Como. Five stars worth of beautifully understated interiors plus generous sun terraces, an excellent restaurant and spa and parklands surrounding the hotel. Plus, one of the pools actually floats on the lake!
- Sirmione’s Villa Cortine Palace is a grand, old fashioned villa hotel, with 54 rooms and an absolutely splendid setting on a spit of land jutting into Lake Garda. The rooms are grand, and Art Deco in style, with some beautiful frescoes and antiques, and there’s a private jetty, a swimming pool and lovely neoclassical landscaped gardens all around.
- Salò’s Hotel Laurin is a stunning hotel with 30 rooms and suites right on the shores of Lake Garda. Converted from an elegant 20th Century villa, guests can expect parquet floors, frescoes and Art Nouveau furniture. There’s also a lovely pool in shady gardens and an excellent restaurant.
For a traditional stay
- If you want to be right on Lake Como, try the Villa d'Este, one of the more traditional five star hotels, the kind with grand state rooms, chandeliers, heavy fabrics, private balconies and private boats.
- The Hotel Catullo in Lake Garda’s beautiful Sirmione, is a great value hotel with 56 rooms starting from around £100 per night. The rooms are comfortable, there are lovely terraces right on the edge of the lake and there’s a good pool.
- Also in Sirmione, the Villa Pioppi is an elegant, seven room villa set within two hectares of beautiful parkland, with a swimming pool, a sun terrace and a private beach. The rooms are large, and some have lake views and private balconies. And they also offer a babysitting service.
The Best Value Italian Lakes Hotels
- Gardesana, in the pretty fishing village of Torri del Benaco on Lake Garda, has 34 simple, comfortable rooms, great views and excellent food. It’s also wonderful value, with room starting from under £100 per night, and it’s quite romantic.
- Originally built for the imperial family, the Grand Hotel Fasano in Lake Garda’s Gardone Riviera, is an historic grand hotel in a privileged lakeside position. The architecture is romantic with fairytale turrets and lovely details, but its private terraces, pebbly beach, spa and tennis courts mean it’s also a good choice for families. The 76 rooms start from around £100 per night.
- The Osteria Antico Brolo in Gardone Riviera, Lake Garda, is a gorgeous restaurant with four chic, all-white rooms and suites you can stay in. Private and comfortable, and very good value, with rooms starting from around £60 per night.
Still not sure which of our Guru’s recommendations for the best Italian Lakes hotels is perfect for you?
- Refine your search to the Best Places to Stay on Lake Garda,
- the Best Places to Stay on Lake Como,
- or the Best places to stay on Lake Maggiore,
- or the Best places to stay on Lake Orta,
- or the Best Places to stay on Lake Iseo,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Locanda San Vigilio 14 rooms from £237Garda
Elegant and intimate lakeside hotel, full of character, owned and run by an Italian count. A hotel for 500 years, the property is right on the waterside in a charming location, full of antiques and objets. A very special and relaxed place to stay.Views - Wonderful views of LakeLocal markets - The hotel has its own Emporium where you can buy prints of drawings by Venetian artists, painted ceramics and fabrics.Great walks - Wander along the Cypress shaded avenue to the Parco Baia delle Sirene.Sailing - Charter a boat for hire from Lega Navale, just 2 km down the road.Recommended by - Johansens
Bellevue San Lorenzo 52 rooms from £172Malcesine
Popular belle epoque villa with lovely grounds overlooking the lake. Five Italian Villas with simple traditional rooms. Highlights include outdoor pool, fitness centre and small relaxation spa. Good value for a stunning spot.Views - Wonderful views of Lake Garda.Great walks - Walk along the promenade to the picturesque Val di Sogno, a superb spot for lake bathing and water sports.Local markets - Malcesine’s Saturday market is not to be missed, with a range of local produce from food to soaps.Sailing - Rent a boat and sail around Lake Garna, explore the shores and take in the sights.
Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni 95 rooms from £229Bellagio
Opulent largesse and Five Star luxury at this elegant grand hotel. Bedrooms and suites have frescoed ceilings, Doric columns, and antique furniture. Michelin-run restaurant, spa, terraces, spectacular views of the lake, and a private boat to take you onto it. Romantic, pampering, historic.HoneymoonsRomantic Break5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - CN Traveller
Hotel Florence 27 rooms from £136Bellagio
Stunning hotel on the shore of Lake Como. Interior design mimics its Florentine namesake in its elegance and combinations of colour. Sumptuous suites with private balconies, gourmet restaurant, spa and spectacular views. A very romantic and sophisticated spot.Views - Breathtaking views over Lake ComoHoneymoonsRomantic BreakRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Villa Feltrinelli 21 rooms from £833Gargnano
Ultimate luxury lakeside hotel in an historic house. Like staying in a private home, full of aristocratic heritage, with restored interiors and antiques, beautiful fabrics and paintings. Gourmet dining, a perfect honeymoon escape for those that can afford it.Romantic Break - The ultimate treat for yourself and a loved oneGreat walks - Plenty of scenic walking routes nearbySwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor Heated PoolSights nearby - Verona just 1 hour awayRecommended by - Kiwi Collection, Fodors
Villa Fiordaliso 5 rooms from £17525083 Gardone Riviera
Very romantic and grand late 19th century, Liberty-style villa with historic interiors and gourmet food. Timeless, traditional rooms with antiques, lakeside views, and lovely gardens and terrace. Intimate and refined.Sights nearby - Vittoriale degli italiani the architecturally fascinating hillside estate in the town is only a 15 minute walk away.Great walks - Plenty of scenic walking routes on the property grounds and surrounding countryside.Sailing - Rent a boat and head out on the lake, the perfect way to explore the shore.Views - Stunning views over Lake GardaRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Fodors
Grand Hotel Tremezzo 89 rooms from £253Tremezzo
Five Star Luxury from a Grand Hotel on the water's edge of Lake Como. Elegant interiors are understated, rather than overly lavish. Glossy parquet floors, brightly coloured walls, a mixture of contemporary and Baroque furniture, spectacular views from terraces. Excellent restaurant, spa, parklands.Views - Wonderful views of Bellagio and the Grigne mountains5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Romantic BreakTotal relaxationRecommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection
Villa Cortine Palace 54 rooms from £389Sirmione
Grand and charmingly old-fashioned villa hotel with a splendid setting in pretty Sirmione. Lovely lakeside gardens, grand 30s style bedrooms, frescos and antiques. Private swimming jetty and lovely pool. Super romantic, if you like historic charm.Garden - The hotel boasts a five hectar garden with fountains, neoclassical statues and natural terraces overlooking the lake.Great walks - Wander the huge five acre gardens that surround the property, with elegant landscaping and wonderful statues.Swimming Pool - Heated outdoor swimming pool with outstanding lake views.Opulent
Hotel Laurin 30 rooms from £123Salò
A stunning hotel on the shore of Lake Garda. Rooms and suites in a 20th century villa are elegant, with parquet floors and all mod cons. Frescoes and art nouveau furniture. Excellent authentic cuisine, pool and shady gardens. An idyllic choice, and perfect for a family holiday.Foodies - Garda Food and Wine Trail & Strada dei Vini e Sapori del Garda: visits to about 100 producers (wineries, oil mills, cheeses).Families - Swimming and Lake Garda to explore by boat. Many child friendly sights in the area, such as movie studio and safari parkSights nearby - Salò, Gardone Riviera, Toscolano Maderno, Gargnano and Limone del GardaViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - CN Traveller
Villa d'Este 152 rooms from £386Cernobbio
Romantic lakeside opulence without compromise. Almost regal bedrooms, suites, and villas have rich chintzy fabrics, chandeliers and private balconies. Spectacular lake views, excellent restaurant, pool and spa, and private boats. Magnificently special.Views - Stunning views over Lake ComoLuxuryRomantic BreakHoneymoonsRecommended by - CN Traveller, Tablet
Hotel Catullo 56 rooms from £105Sirmione Brescia, NOT TO SHOW
Excellent value, excellent views. A small hotel with comfortable rooms, a swimming pool, and terraces on the edge of Lake Garda. Family friendly.Views - Great views from hotelValue chicOn the beach - Private jetty with direct access to the lakeSailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Villa Pioppi 7 rooms from £114Sirmione
The elegant Villa Pioppi boasts two hectares of picturesque parkland with swimming pool, a private beach area and extensive sun terrace with views. Spacious air conditioned rooms - some with lake views - feature private balconies. Enjoy outdoor dining or try out the plentiful nearby restaurants.Families - Babysitting services, private beach, plus acres of grounds in which to tire them outLocal exploring - An idyllic spot next to Lake GardaViews - Great views from hotelSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Gardesana 34 rooms from £96Torri del Benaco
Excellent food and comfortable, simple rooms in Garda's showpiece fishing village. Perfectly positioned in a charming little port, it's a very romantic spot for a good value break. Homely and ideal for local exploring.Local exploring - Central location perfect for exploring Lake Garda and its surroundsFishing - Fishing excursions nearbySights nearby - Verona 40 minutes driveSailing - Sailing on offer nearby
Grand Hotel Fasano 76 rooms from £105Gardone Riviera
An historic grand hotel originally built for the imperial family. Its privileged lakeside position and romantic architecture make it the ideal spot for a honeymoon or romantic holiday. Fairytale turrets, terraces, private pebble beach, spa, tennis court and sumptuous rooms. Heavenly.Romantic - You couldn't stay in a more fairytale setting on the lake's edge.Views - Stunning views over the lake.Lakeside - On the edge of Lake Garda.Romantic Break
Osteria Antico Brolo 4 rooms from £61Gardone Riviera
Gorgeous restaurant with rooms in Gardone Riviera. Enter through a charming courtyard with arched stone gateways and traditional oak doors. Chic all-white bedrooms and suites with exposed beams complemented with period furnishings. Eat delicious dinners at the on site osteria. A perfect base!Value chic - Seriously good value with standard rooms from only €70 per night B&B.Local exploring - A chic base for exploring Gardone Riviera and Lake GardaSailing - Spend a day sailing on Lake GardaSights nearby - The town of Gardone Riviera