Search the best hotels in Varenna
Serene, lakeside Varenna is a beautiful village lush with plants and flowers. The village rises upwards from the lake, through winding alleyways past traditional Italian architecture, to a row of lovely villas and a church. The best places to stay in Varenna are those with the best views of the lake.
Just a short ferry ride from bella Bellagio, with its pastel coloured villas and graceful cafes, as well as Menaggio and Griante, Varenna is also a lovely place from which to start strolling. You’ll find a heady mix of beauty and perfume whichever way you walk.
Not To Miss
- Head off on a taxi boat to explore all over beautiful Lake Como - a wonderful way to spend the afternoon!
- Villa Monastero boasts a picturesque setting and magnificent gardens, so it's a great spot to visit.
- Hike around the Sentiero del Viandante and go visit the neighbouring town of Bellano. Or, head along the Green Way dei Patriarchi for a gentle stroll around Varenna.
- The Chiesa di San Giovanni Batista, filled with 700-year old frescoes, it a simple yet beautiful spot.
Just remember that Lake Como is an immensely popular destination, so if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Varenna, do yourself a favour and book early!
The Best Places to Stay in Varenna
The Best Traditional Hotels in Varenna
- The Albergo Milano is a charming hotel in an enchanting lakeside setting. There are a collection of 14 rooms, triples and apartments, all with whitewashed walls and private balconies. There’s also a lovely restaurant.
- Owned by the same family for four generations, the Albergo Olivedo is a gorgeous ten-room townhouse hotel right by the lake at Varenna. The decor is traditional, with stone floors, pastel walls and private balconies. Family friendly and laid back, the Albergo Olivedo also has a lovely little Italian restaurant. Rooms start from around £90 per night.
- The Hotel du Lac is also lakeside. Here you'll find sixteen comfortable rooms, some with balconies, and a shaded dining area overlooking the water.
- Relais Regina Teodolinda is a six suite villa with breathtaking scenery all around. The charming accommodation oozes rustic-chic, whilst the property's also surrounded by lovely gardens and boasts an outdoor pool.
- Taverna Bleu provides traditional accommodation in a wonderful location on the shore of Lake Como. You'll love meals out on the terrace soaking up the views!
The Best Places to Stay in Varenna for Families
- The five room Nest on the Lake is an unfussy B&B boasting rooms with four posters and private terraces. This lakeside spot also offers bikes and canoes available to rent - ideal for families wanting to get out and about.
- Parco San Marco Lifestyle Beach Resort is the perfect family getaway, boasting a stunning setting, plenty of activities available to get stuck into and babysitting services offered. Plenty of dining options to choose from.
The Most Romantic Places to Stay in Varenna
- Hotel Florence is a truly stunning stay - featuring elegantly decorated and wonderfully colourful accommodation. Bask in the glorious lake views from your private terrace and tuck into superb grub from the gourmet restaurant. Utterly romantic!
- Relais Villa Vittoria provides tasteful, rustic-chic accommodation in light hues as well as a top-notch restaurant. Unwind in the pool enjoying the views or treat yourself to a massage for complete relaxation.
- Grand Hotel Tremezzo offers classically elegant rooms with stunning views to be enjoyed from the terraces. Featuring a blend of Baroque and contemporary furnishings, is smart 5* also features extensive spa facilities as well as a superb restaurant.
- Hotel Belvedere, Bellagio is a peaceful spot boasting an infinity pool and a secluded garden. The accommodation is classically elegant, featuring typically Italian furnishings, and you can tuck into wonderful cuisine.
- The 5* Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni exudes extravagant opulence - the bedrooms have frescoed ceilings, Doric columns and antiques, whilst the restaurant is also MIchelin-starred. Enjoy private boat trips on the lake and pamper yourself with a visit to the spa.
- Filario Hotel is a super stylish spot with chic rooms in earth tones, a private beach area and an infinity pool. Tick into traditional Italian fare from the restaurant.
- Villa Lario is a truly luxurious 5-room property, offering chic suite-only accommodation in a super spot right by Lake Como. With an infinity pool and elegant restaurant, what more could you ask for?
The Best Places to Stay in Varenna for A Country Escape
- Hotel Villa Simplicitas is a charming country house set in the hills above Lake Como and Lake Lugano. Boasting unfussy accommodation, a billiards room and a restaurant, this laidback choice is a great all round stay.
The Best B&Bs in Varenna
- Casa Contrada Bella has just three chic rooms with stylish interiors and two with small kitchenettes. It's perfect for a romantic break with no kids allowed and is just steps away from Varenna's bars and restaurants.
- The 3-room Alpe Del Lupo is a chic stay, combining modern Italian furnishings with traditional interior features. It's ideal for groups as you can take the whole place over to yourselves, whilst there's also plenty to do in the surrounding area.
- Set in a lovely location surrounded by flower-filled gardens, Casa Del Portico offers five simple but comfortable rooms as well as an apartment. A scenic stay in a top spot.
The Best Places to Stay in Varenna for Something Completely Different
- Casa Sull'Albero is a contemporary designer villa featuring floor to ceiling windows, chic minimalist accommodation and an honesty kitchen. Delightfully different! Plus, there's an outdoor pool and lake views.
Prefer An Apartment Or Villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- The weather's obviously nicest during the summertime, with the average daily temperature rising to 22°C in July and August. That said, this is peak tourist season - for a quieter and cheaper alternative consider coming in May or September.
- International guests can fly into Milan-Malpensa Airport before taking the train to Milane Centrale and from there hopping on another train down to Varenna.
- These trains run every two hours or so and the journey takes just an hour.
- Ryanair fly direct from Stansted to Milan, easyJet from Gatwick, Luton and Edinburgh, whilst British Airways go from Heathrow.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Varenna for you?
Best Hotels in Varenna
Albergo Olivedo Varenna 10 rooms from CA$161Views - Great views over Lake ComoTraditionalSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Sawdays
Casa Contrada Bella Varenna 3 rooms from CA$190Value chic - Stylish rooms which start from just €130 per night.Sights nearby - Situated in the historical centre of Varenna. 14th Century Church - Chiesa di San Giorgio is very close byGreat walks - Plenty of good walking routes in the area whether you want a gentle stroll or energertic hike.Sailing - Sail on the lake
A small guest house with three charming bedrooms - wrought iron bed heads, exposed wooden beams, exposed stone wall. Two with a small kitchenette and one with a balcony. Restaurants within walking distance and the beach is just steps away. A great value base for exploring the area. See More
Hotel du Lac Varenna Varenna (Lake Como) 16 rooms from CA$256Romantic Break - Draw back the curtains in the morning for unforgettable views of Lake ComoBack to Nature - Hills, lakes and stunning countryside on your doorstepSights nearby - Spend the day exploring nearby VeronaGreat walks - Enjoy walking in the nearby hills
A charming lakeside hotel with 16 comfortable air-conditioned bedrooms - some with lake views and private balconies. The hotel has a peaceful terrace overlooking the lake with a lovely shaded dining area. A family run property and the number one spot to explore the local area. See More
Albergo Milano Varenna 14 rooms from CA$278Sit-out Terrace - Fabulous restaurant terrace over Lake Como.Views - Great views from hotelFamiliesGroupsRecommended by - Sawdays