- ✓ Check Prices
- ✓ Book Now
Search the best hotels in Italy
Best Hotels in Italy
- (5 hotels) Abruzzo hotels
- (7 hotels) Aeolian Islands hotels
- (2 hotels) Agrigento hotels
- (5 hotels) Alba hotels
- (1 hotels) Alberobello hotels
- (11 hotels) Amalfi hotels
- (2 hotels) Ancona hotels
- (3 hotels) Aosta hotels
- (17 hotels) Aosta Valley hotels
- (4 hotels) Arco hotels
- (6 hotels) Arezzo hotels
- (3 hotels) Arzachena hotels
- (6 hotels) Assisi hotels
- (1 hotels) Asti hotels
- (6 hotels) Bardolino hotels
- (8 hotels) Basilicata hotels
- (3 hotels) Bellagio hotels
- (3 hotels) Bergamo hotels
- (1 hotels) Blevio hotels
- (6 hotels) Bologna hotels
- (2 hotels) Bolzano hotels
- (1 hotels) Bormio hotels
- (2 hotels) Calabria hotels
- (44 hotels) Campania hotels
- (15 hotels) Capri hotels
- (2 hotels) Castellabate hotels
- (3 hotels) Castelrotto hotels
- (3 hotels) Cernobbio hotels
- (1 hotels) Cesenatico hotels
- (1 hotels) Champoluc hotels
- (1 hotels) Chieti hotels
- (6 hotels) Cinque Terre hotels
- (4 hotels) Como hotels
- (2 hotels) Conca dei Marini hotels
- (6 hotels) Cortina hotels
- (5 hotels) Cortona hotels
- (8 hotels) Courmayeur hotels
- (1 hotels) Elba hotels
- (29 hotels) Emilia Romagna hotels
- (3 hotels) Fasano hotels
- (4 hotels) Ferrara hotels
- (53 hotels) Florence hotels
- (5 hotels) Forte dei Marmi hotels
- (6 hotels) Gallipoli hotels
- (3 hotels) Garda hotels
- (11 hotels) Gardone Riviera hotels
- (6 hotels) Gargnano hotels
- (5 hotels) Genoa hotels
- (2 hotels) Gorizia hotels
- (4 hotels) Grosseto hotels
- (2 hotels) Ischia hotels
- (1 hotels) La Thuile hotels
- (1 hotels) Ladispoli hotels
- (2 hotels) Laglio hotels
- (2 hotels) Lake Bracciano hotels
- (28 hotels) Lake Como hotels
- (65 hotels) Lake Garda hotels
- (2 hotels) Lake Iseo hotels
- (13 hotels) Lake Maggiore hotels
- (6 hotels) Lake Orta hotels
- (2 hotels) Latina hotels
- (10 hotels) Le Marche hotels
- (10 hotels) Lecce hotels
- (2 hotels) Lezzeno hotels
- (25 hotels) Liguria hotels
- (1 hotels) Limone hotels
- (1 hotels) Livigno hotels
- (40 hotels) Lombardy hotels
- (11 hotels) Lucca hotels
- (3 hotels) Madonna di Campiglio hotels
- (2 hotels) Maiori hotels
- (4 hotels) Malcesine hotels
- (4 hotels) Maratea hotels
- (1 hotels) Marettimo hotels
- (1 hotels) Marsala hotels
- (5 hotels) Matera hotels
- (3 hotels) Merano hotels
- (28 hotels) Milan hotels
- (1 hotels) Modena hotels
- (11 hotels) Modica hotels
- (6 hotels) Montepulciano hotels
- (2 hotels) Montichiari hotels
- (1 hotels) Monza hotels
- (16 hotels) Naples hotels
- (2 hotels) Noto hotels
- (4 hotels) Olbia hotels
- (2 hotels) Ortisei hotels
- (3 hotels) Orvieto hotels
- (5 hotels) Ostuni hotels
- (5 hotels) Otranto hotels
- (4 hotels) Paestum hotels
- (5 hotels) Palermo hotels
- (2 hotels) Pantelleria hotels
- (5 hotels) Parma hotels
- (5 hotels) Perugia hotels
- (1 hotels) Pesaro hotels
- (34 hotels) Piedmont hotels
- (4 hotels) Pisa hotels
- (1 hotels) Pompeii hotels
- (1 hotels) Porto Ercole hotels
- (4 hotels) Portofino hotels
- (13 hotels) Positano hotels
- (5 hotels) Praiano hotels
- (2 hotels) Procida hotels
- (56 hotels) Puglia hotels
- (3 hotels) Ragusa hotels
- (8 hotels) Ravello hotels
- (3 hotels) Ravenna hotels
- (2 hotels) Rimini hotels
- (1 hotels) Riva del Garda hotels
- (56 hotels) Rome hotels
- (4 hotels) Salò hotels
- (1 hotels) San Felice del Benaco hotels
- (5 hotels) San Gimignano hotels
- (29 hotels) Sardinia hotels
- (4 hotels) Savelletri hotels
- (2 hotels) Sestriere hotels
- (53 hotels) Sicily hotels
- (11 hotels) Siena hotels
- (6 hotels) Sirmione hotels
- (19 hotels) Sorrento hotels
- (27 hotels) South Tyrol hotels
- (4 hotels) Syracuse hotels
- (7 hotels) Taormina hotels
- (2 hotels) Terni hotels
- (47 hotels) The Amalfi Coast hotels
- (1 hotels) Torri del Benaco hotels
- (1 hotels) Tremezzo hotels
- (8 hotels) Trentino hotels
- (6 hotels) Turin hotels
- (140 hotels) Tuscany hotels
- (44 hotels) Umbria hotels
- (4 hotels) Varenna hotels
- (31 hotels) Veneto hotels
- (52 hotels) Venice hotels
- (13 hotels) Verona hotels
- (1 hotels) Vicenza hotels
La locanda del Loggiato 6 rooms from $87Bagno Vignoni, Tuscany
A romantic hotel within a medieval village. Unique rooms feature wooden beams, views over the square and terracotta floors. A thermal spa in the village, walking tours, and wine tasting in the surrounds. An enchanting weekend for couples in typical Tuscan style.Romantic Break - Visit local villages: Montalcino, Abbadia San Salvatore, visit the thermal baths of Bagno Vignoni and nearby Bagni san FilippoFoodies - Brunello wine region. In the Autumn, Montalcino food festival in medieval fortress, with vats of polenta and cooking on spitsViews - Over the water-filled square of Bagno VignoniSights nearby - Siena, Pienza, Montalcino, Montepulciano
L'Antico Pozzo 18 rooms from $92San Gimignano (Tuscany)
15th Century restored townhouse with original terracotta floors, beamed ceilings and delicate frescoes throughout. Romantic bedrooms feature pastel colour schemes, four posters and billowing drapes. Breakfast in bed or in the courtyard - a charming spot for romantics and local exploring.Sights nearby - Located in the centre of San GimignanoCooking classes - Can be arranged in Certaldo AltoRomantic - Good for couples.Full of character
B&B Big Sur 3 rooms from $63Gardone Riviera
A charming bed and breakfast in the hills above Lake Garda. Three simple, stylish, homely bedrooms (one with shared bathroom). Great for families or groups of friends. Lots of outdoor activities nearby and just a short drive to the Lake. A great value hideaway off the beaten track.Less £ - With doubles from as little as €60 per night including breakfast, it is exceptional value for money.Sights nearby - Visit Verona for the dayHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Secluded setting - For escaping.
Il Mosaico B&B 6 rooms from $68Colombare di Sirmione
Slightly set back from the Lake Garda waterfront, Il Mosaico offers good value accommodation ideal for those looking to explore the area by car. Comfortable, air conditioned bedrooms are striking in moody palettes with all the mod cons. Includes free Wifi and plenty of private parking.Value chic - Modern, luxurious accommodation at a steal of a priceRomantic Break - Adults only hotel makes it ideal for visiting couplesLocal exploring - Great central location for exploring on footRestrictions on children - Children are not permitted at this hotel
B&B Fascino Antico 2 rooms from $51Taranto, Puglia
A glorious little trulli B&B with rock bottom prices and rooms that sleep 4. Picturesque white domed rooms, originally peasants' houses, have rustic chic interiors. Lovely gardens and pool, and close to many attractions in Puglia. Perfect for families or groups of friends exploring on a budget.Families - 3 of the rooms sleep up to 4.Quirky - A unique trulli B&B.GroupsValue chic
Masseria Alchimia 10 rooms from $51Fasano Brindisi, Puglia
Ultra modern collection of ten studios in rural Puglia. White washed studios sleep between 3 and 5, all with kitchens and private terraces. A surprising collection in a former convent, ideal for families, groups and couples.GroupsRomantic BreakValue chicFamiliesRecommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Park Hotel Villa Grazioli 62 rooms from $81Rome (Grottaferrata)
Luxury hotel outside Rome oozing simple elegance and history. Original frescos and Ciampelli paintings on walls. With a bar, restaurant and outdoor swimming pool, as well as access to spa and golf club. Value chic and perfect for a romantic getaway.Conference facilitiesViews - Over park, and to Rome, Frascati and hill of TuscoloSights nearby - Rome and Tivoli close byHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Daphne Inn 19 rooms from $77Rome
Cheap, contemporary chic B&B steps from the Trevi Fountain. Rooms, suites, family rooms, and one apartment all in creams, bronzes and browns. Lovely breakfast room and bikes to rent. A great choice for those on a smaller budget.Value chicFamiliesSights nearby - Superb location very close to the Trevi FountainLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape
B&B Il Giardino di Ballaro 5 rooms from $49Palermo (75/77)
Charming, characterful, colourful boutique B&B in the heart of historical Palmero. Rooms with quirky art and furnishings, air conditioning and direct access to lovely outdoor courtyard. Traditional Sicilian breakfast available. Child friendly and great value.Sights nearby - Moment from cathedral, Cappella Palatina, Tower of San NicolòLocal markets - Close to BallaròGreat walks - Good for walkers.
Cambiocavallo 8 rooms from $72Modica
Traditional villa renovated with contemporary minimalism between the sea and Modica. Rooms with attractive pastel washed walls, light wood furniture and private terraces. Lovely pool and sun deck, restaurants nearby. A great spot for a family holiday with access to beaches and sights around.Birdwatching - Nature reserves of Fiume Irminio and Vendicari.Sights nearby - Unesco-listed Baroque towns.Four poster beds - For romantics.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - I Escape
Villa Rucellai 8 rooms from $84Florence (Prato)
18th Century family run B&B, nestled between its own vines and olive groves, on the outskirts of Florence. The warm decor with family antiques and pictures, give a true Italian homely feel. Simple comforts, full of character and a wonderful countryside spot from which to explore the region.Value chic - An enchanting villa with beautifully manicured gardens, period furnishings and impeccable service at an astonishingly low price.Hideaway - A romantic and characterful hideaway in the Tuscan Hills with balconies overlooking vineyards and olive groves.Great walks - Located in the Bisenzio river valley, on the lower slopes of the Retaia the last ramparts of the Calvana pre-Appenine chain.Sights nearby - Check out Prato Cathedral in the local town, dedicated to Saint Stephen, the first saint in Catholicism.
Hotel Rosso 23 45 rooms from $86Florence
A noble building renovated in contemporary style. Modern bedrooms and living areas all in reds, blacks, and greys. Lovely inner courtyard and breakfast room. A great choice for those on a budget.Sights nearby - Within wallking distance of the Duomo, Uffizi and Ponte VecchioViews - Superior rooms all enjoy great views over the cityLocal markets - Good for local colour.
B&B San Marco 3 rooms from $73Venice
An adorable, typically Venetian B&B. Rooms exude understated charm and homeliness. Excellent views from the bedrooms and lovely breakfasts. A great value spot for central Venice.Value chicCity StyleViews - All the bedrooms have canal views.Sights nearby - 5 mins walk from St Mark's SquareRecommended by - CN Traveller
La Residenza 9 rooms from $84Venice (Castello, 3608)
An elegant historic residence close to San Marco Square. Gothic-Byzantine architecture remains the hallmark of its restored interiors - period furnishings and 18th century paintings throughout the rooms. A great value choice for families, friends or couples.Sights nearby - Plus the hotel organises free excursions to Murano with a visit to the glassworksRomantic - Good for couples.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Villa Fontana 6 rooms from $177Agliano Terme, Italy
A delightful Italian country house with a spa and wellness centre. Steeped in rustic charm, guests can relax on the quiet terrace by the pool or in one of the peaceful drawing rooms. Watch the sun set over the picturesque hills whilst enjoying local, seasonal dishes at the hotel restaurant.Total relaxation - The perfect spot to sit back and relax, with lovely gardens, and a spa with sauna, hot tub and Turkish bath.RuralSights nearby - Check out the nearby town of Asti, a charming and historic town filled with character.Great walks - The hills of Langhe and Monferrato make for spectacular walking with incredible views.
Da Gelsomina 12 roomsAnacapri, Italy
Da Gelsomina is known for its fantastic restaurant - locally sourced ingredients, traditional cuisine and wonderful views from the veranda. There are a number of simple bedrooms decorated in calm pastel tones, each with private balconies. A quiet and less traveled spot on Capri.Foodies - Renowned by locals for its restaurant - famous for its "ravioli capresi", "pollo al mattone", and rabbit cacciatora.Great walks - The Capri Philosophical Park has some stunning walks, pack a picnic and make a day of it.Sailing - Hire a boat to explore hidden sea caves along the rugged coast.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Fodors
Food, art, architecture, wine, coffee, fashion, Italy does it all extremely well. And it's blessed with natural beauty to boot. Visiting Italy is all about emerging yourself in the Italian spirit of living well. Don't rush around ticking boxes. Ponder, touch, taste and enjoy!
The best places to stay in Italy are invested with this spirit of living well too, so be prepared to be looked after in lovely surrounds.
The 'Eternal City', Rome has been a place of pilgrimage since the middle ages, both for those journeying to the headquarters of Catholicism, and travellers in search of beauty in art and architecture. Rome is home to a number of the world's great museums and art collections, but Rome's collections don't just fill the museums, they also decorate the piazzas and the public spaces. Some of the most incredible relics of Rome are the ruins of ancient Rome, the Colosseum, the Forum and the Pantheon.
Naples with its incredible bay, views of Vesuvius and being the birthplace of pizza, and fashionable, beautiful, un-touristy Milan, are two of Italy's other great city break destinations. Naples is vibrant and frenetic rather than elegant, but it still has an impressive collection of Roman ruins, and of course it's close to Pompeii and Herculaneum. While Milan has the world class sights, but is also a financial capital.
Then of course there's Florence, cradle of the Renaissance, and for many, the gateway to Tuscany. One of the world's most beautiful cities, Florence is packed with wonderful art and architecture on a grand scale. Michelangelo, Botticelli and Leonardo da Vinci have helped adorn the piazzas and palaces of Florence. And beyond the beauty of the city is the sunny, terracotta beauty of the Tuscan hills and Siena, Pisa, Montepulciano and San Gimignano.
And that's before you consider the natural beauty of the Lakes Region, the Amalfi Coast, Sardinia, the Cinque Terre or Capri. And the magic of Venice… It appears that the real challenge of planning your trip to Italy is choosing from too many incredibly promising destinations.
The Best Places to Stay in Italy
If you know which part of Spain you'll be exploring skip through to our Italian Destination Guides:
- The Best Places to Stay in Rome
- The Best Places to Stay in Naples
- The Best Places to Stay in Milan
- The Best Places to Stay in Florence
- The Best Places to Stay in Tuscany
- The Best Places to Stay on the Amalfi Coast
The Best Places to Stay in Italy for a Roman Holiday
- Five minutes from the Trevi Fountain, the Villa Spalletti Trivelli is a noble Roman townhouse renovated to perfection. The 12 rooms are classical, tranquil and aristocratic, and you're in a beautiful neighbourhood, surrounded by lush gardens.
- The Hotel Regina is an Art Deco extravaganza on the Via Veneto. One of Rome's original grand dame hotels, this is an opulent spot, but with all the mod. cons.
- Capo d'Africa is a sleek, contemporary hotel with a gorgeous roof terrace directly overlooking the Colosseum. As well as being right in the heart of things, you're staying somewhere with retro style, and an excellent gym, restaurant and bar.
- Right beside the Spanish Steps, Crossing Condotti has just six rooms, filled with well chosen Baroque antiques, tasteful art and enormous beds. Central and romantic.
- Mario de Fiori 37 are a collection of sleek and modern self-catering rooms and suites located right near the Spanish Steps. You'll find every comfort and modern gadget you, or your family, might need.
The Best Places to Stay in Italy for a City Break
- Milan's Straf was declared Italy's most avant-garde hotel when it opened and it's still creating a stir today. Come here to rub shoulders with the fashionistas, designers et al who love the interiors where rough slate sit alongside burnished brass, iron and concrete.
- Also in Milan, Bulgari is more about understated glamour. Here the emphasis is on chic sophistication. Plus it's the only hotel within the city walls to boast a garden. A sensational spa and great food complete the picture.
- The Palazzo Niccollini al Duomo in Florence is a fabulous property, choc a block with original features and furniture, in an unbeatable location. Family owned and run, it is a spectacular residence overlooking the Duomo.
- Also in Florence, the Hotel Savoy is a fine, luxury hotel in the very heart of the centre, close to the Duomo. Styled beautifully by Olga Polizzi, this is a haven of pale and perfect luxury.
- The Grand Hotel Vesuvio is a Naples classic, with immaculate service and luxurious facilities right on the seafront. They also have a private yacht and chauffeur driven Daimler on hand if you need them.
- If you're looking for small and elegant in Naples, try Palazzo Alabardieri, a converted 18th Century palazzo in a chic shopping area.
The Best Places to Stay in Italy for a Once in a Lifetime Journey
- The Gritti Palace is a classic grand hotel and our ultimate favourite of many favourite places to stay in Venice. The former Doge's Palace is traditional with heart-stopping views. Re-opening after a refurbishment which we trust will only have burnished its loveliness.
- Suite Sistina's ten rooms are perfect for honeymooners, with their oversized, glass sides showers, luxurious bathtubs and giant round beds. You're also staying in a beautiful building just metres from Rome's Spanish Steps.
- The Grand Hotel Parkers has a stunning, hilltop setting above Naples, while inside it's all understated neo-classical elegance with ornate ceilings and glamorous decor. The really special views can be seen from the roof terrace.
- The Grand Hotel et de Milan is a 'grand dame' with bags of luxurious character - think rich fabrics, antiques and fine art on the walls. It is also only a stone's throw from La Scala so ideal for opera buffs.
- Florence's Residenza d’Epoca occupies the upper floors of a private house on the edge of the Piazza della Signoria and there are few rooms with a better view than these ten. Traditional, unfussy decor focused on heritage and comfort, and an excellent breakfast.
- Built in 1517 to be used as a convent, Loggiato dei Serviti is one of the most prestigious historic residences in Florence. Add to this its views across the Piazza SS Annunciata to Brunelleschi's Ospendale deli Innocenti, the charming antiques, rich fabrics and parquet floors.
- A carefully restored 15th Century townhouse, L'Antico Pozzo is one of the few places you can stay in San Gimignano itself. It's been romantically decorated with four poster beds, ethereal drapes and wonderful frescoes and the views of the town are a one off.
- The Grand Hotel Continental is Siena's grand dame, dripping with priceless antiques and marble galore and boasting sumptuous rooms, floor to ceiling frescoes and an unbeatable location just steps from the Piazza del Campo.
- The Royal Victoria in central Pisa is awash with beautiful antiques, and the roof terrace has wonderful views over the city.
- The LIdo Palace on Lake Garda offers five stars worth of wonder right on the shores of the lake and at the foot of the mountains - this is really one of the planet's most idyllic settings. Behind the Liberty style facade are sleek, contemporary rooms, an award winning spa and a Michelin recommended restaurant.
- Il San Pietro di Positano is spectacular. Five stars worth of vaulted-ceilinged, private beach, private balcony, gorgeous infinity pool and sumptuous rooms. And all with a view, of course.
- Hotel Santa Caterina in Amafli is luxury in a stunning spot - with a private beach reached by a glass lift with travels through the cliff face!
The Best Places to Stay in Italy for Families
- The Albergo del senato, just a short stroll of the Pantheon, offers elegant rooms and suites. There's a fabulous roof terrace and a traditional relaxed vibe throughout, despite the beautiful decor.
- Also in Rome, the Locanda Cairoli is a comfortable, 15 room hotel close to the Piazza Navona. The gardens are beautiful and there's a feeling of sharing a private home rather than staying in a hotel.
- The Villa Rucellai is a charming 18th Century villa on the outside Florence, surrounded by its own olive groves and grape vines. Another example of an old family home turned charming B&B, Rucellai has been home to the Rucellai family since 1740. Public areas are grand and homey, while the eleven rooms are simple and comfortable.
- Palazzo Ravizza in Siena is a 30 room pension which has been in the same family since the 1920s. Just outside the historic centre of town, the hotel is flu of old world charm and elegance.
- Hotel Laurin, near Salò is perfect, elegant Lake Garda glamour on the outside, and frescoes and Art Deco furniture on the inside - yet it's big enough, and modern enough, and has enough of a garden and pool, to be ideal for families.
- Villa La Tartana in Positano is perfect if you prefer a small hotel, there are just ten rooms and one family sized apartment, but its proportions are generous, just like the breakfasts served on the terrace.
The Best Places to Stay in Italy for Foodies
- The Locanda di San Francesco is perfect is you want the wonderful flavours of Vino Nobile Montepulciano accompanied by the wonderful flavours of Tuscan food.
- Also near Montepulciano, Podere Dionara is stunning in that square, Tuscan way, a private spot which produces its own wine and has a sommelier on hand for either a casual wine tasting or a more structured course.
- Lake Garda has always attracted those for whom money is not a problem, and, if you can afford it, the Villa Feltrinelli is a wonderful place to stay. Converted from a historic house, with superbly restored art and antiques, this house now offers Michelin starred dining as well as its serene location.
- The Palazzo Avino oozes 1930s Italian film star glamour. Perched on a cliff overlooking fishing villages and pretty bays, this hotel is five stars from its two Michelin starred restaurant to the open air gym.
The Best Places to Stay in Italy for Rural Sunshine
- Agriturismo Poggiacolle is a gorgeous farmhouse B&B, and working vineyard and saffron farm in the hills above San Gimignano, Tuscany. The rooms are 'rustic romantic' and there's an infinity pool and tennis courts, so it's far from basic, but there's plenty of room so it's also great for families.
- The Borgo Scopeto Relais is a chic hotel overlooking Siena. The large garden, with its olives and oaks, offers amazing views, as well as two pools, a spa and tennis courts. The Tuscan restaurant is also a winner.
- The Hotelito Lupaia is a romantic, eccentric and luxurious eight room property in the heart of Montepulciano, with a lovely terrace and pool.
The Best Places to Stay in Italy for La Dolce Vita
- The Palazzo Vecchietti is a distinguished 15th Century built palazzo right in the heart of Florence. Dante called it 'Paradiso'. Now divided into fourteen luxuriously decorated suites and apartments, with lovely details like private terraces, high ceilings and amazing views.
- For a spot of understated luxury in the outskirts of Florence, book a room at the Villa San Michele. Converted from a 15th century monastery, it boasts glorious terraced gardens with breathtaking views over the city and a large pool.
- The Grand Hotel La Medusa is a mini resort with wonderful views over the Gulf of Naples and Mt. Vesuvius.
- Borgo Pignano is a palatial private estate outside San Gimignano. The bedrooms are huge, you breakfast in a ballroom and there's a private cinema, art and cooking classes, truffling expeditions and regular yoga sessions.
- Locanda San Vigilio, just above Garda and bustling Bardolino, is an elegant and intimate hotel right on the lake. Originaly owned by an Italian Count, this grand dwelling has been a hotel for the last 500 years. So it's an extra special, and traditionally luxurious place to relax.
- Once a private palace, the Bellevue Syrene in Sorrento has been romantically refurbished so that it's now a palace for many, with rambling terraces, breathtaking views, marble floors, vaulted ceilings, private pools and a private beach.
- Converted from a monastery, there's nothing monastic about Monastero Santa Rosa Hotel & Spa now. Its celestial views of the Amalfi Coast from its perch on a cliff top are to die for, and the hotel captures the essence of la dolce vita with its location, understated but immaculate style, and its incredible spa facilities.