The 20 Best B&Bs in the South of France
When searching in the South of France for something quintessentially French, low-key, or even a bit off the beaten track, then choosing a B&B is often your best bet. With a great range of options to choose from to suit any holiday, our hotel experts have handpicked a collection of the best B&Bs in the South of France ranging from classic rural Provençal homes perfect for a summer break with family and friends to chic little hideaways in Avignon ideal for that cultural escape.
For a luxury stay
- L'Escale du Ciel is a luxury property that offers achingly beautiful mountainous Provençal panoramas. There are four beautifully styled rooms, plus a large swimming pool, a terrace to play Petanque and stunning walks nearby. This is a Provençal dream.
For a rural break
- With just two rooms La Bergerie Sainte Antoine is an intimate rural stay. Set in a tranquil hillside location just outside Grasse and boasting a lovely pool and terrace. This is an ideal choice for a peaceful retreat away from the coast and superb value for money.
- Les Chambres de mon Moulin is a gorgeous elegant riverside property. With a romantic leafy garden, relaxing pool and riverside terrace - this is a place to come and unwind. For the active, however, there is hiking in the nearby Alpes-Maritimes and there are beaches nearby too.
- La Bergerie Cote D'Azur has a lovely hillside location boasting spectacular views, just outside St Paul de Vence. Set in charming gardens and offering a lovely pool. With easy access to both Cannes and Nice, this is a great rural base to explore the area from.
- Les Remparts is a lovely historic property set in the old fortifications of Beaumes de Venise. Interiors are wonderfully rustic chic while outside there are beautiful views of rural Provence and a swimming pool in a secluded courtyard.
- The Gorgeous French guest house, Les Rosees, is set in the hills above Cannes. Expect honeysuckle terraces, an aquamarine pool, and rambling gardens. Offering fantastic home-cooked breakfasts and there's a Michelin star restaurant just a short walk away!
- Le Mas du Chanoine is a quintessential French country villa. This lovely B&B is set in a 17th-century property, and boasts spacious rooms with plenty of orginal features to complement their contemporary feel, plus gorgeous gardens and a pool with fabulous vistas. Expect generous breakfasts, and don't miss playing a game on the floodlit boules court.
- Set in wooded farmland on a lush island in the Rhone, Domaine de Rhodes is a pastoral retreat only ten minutes from the sights of Avignon. Grand bedrooms offer a charming period style, its peaceful gardens, shaded by tall plane trees, are perfect for lazy afternoons, and there's a pool.
For a vineyard
- A beautiful property set amongst the sprawling vineyard of Le Clos de L'ours. With stunning expansive vistas and comfortable, contemporary rooms, it's a fantastic place to relax for a weekend in Provence.
For a traditional village location
- The beautifully converted Maison du Prince is a 17th-century house set in the heart of Grimaud boasting fabulous views over the Gulf of Saint-Tropez. Light rooms feature a choice selection of contemporary art and antiques. An ideal choice for those looking for a little peace and quiet.
For a romantic break
- Histoires de Bastide is surrounded by beautiful gardens within the serenity of Provence's hills. Contemporary elegant rooms feature private terraces overlooking olive trees. With a spa, swimming pool, and access to gourmet restaurants, this is a perfect choice for a romantic escape.
- Le Clos Saint Saourde is a striking property built into the rock face and surrounded by vineyards. Rustic chic rooms and cottages have wrought iron four poster beds, day beds, and large bathrooms. Extremely romantic, laid back, and boutique. Perfect for a honeymoon.
- Maison Valvert is a chic country house B&B set in a beautiful and secluded spot dotted with cherry and olive trees, not far from Bonnieux. Four lovingly restored rooms are the epitome of rural chic. The treehouse room is ideal for couples on a romantic break.
- Expect pure relaxation and privacy at the romantic and secluded Domaine les Roullets. Couples and small groups only (no children) are given first class service and boutique B&B accommodation in a glorious setting beneath the foothills of the Luberon mountains. Very romantic.
- La Bergerie de Feline is a chic rural B&B in Provence. A large garden features an outdoor pool, hot tub and plenty of lavender! An idyllic and laid back stay with a family-friendly vibe, offered at great value.
- For a charming B&B located in the heart of Avignon it doesn't get much better than L'Observance. Boasting four lovely rooms as well as a two bedroom apartment which features a private entrance and a kitchenette. The pretty pool is a real bonus after a day spent exploring!
- Maison Velvet is a small intimate B&B in the centre of Avignon, just 10 minutes walk from the main sights. The three bedrooms are spacious with original painted floors and Perisan rugs. A charming spot.
- No 15 offers rustic chic bedrooms in the heart of Avignon. A charming garden features an outdoor pool and sun terrace. A tranquil base to explore this historic town from.
- Les Suites Massena is a perfect choice for those wanting a spacious and contemporary stay in the heart of the city. Interiors have a cool Scandi-chic style and the best have free standing baths.
- The charming hilltop Villa du Roc Fleuri is set in a pretty garden and offers a lovely terrace and verandah. Bright rooms have a rustic chic feel. Pick this property for a quiet location with easy access to the beaches and city centre.
Still not sure which to book?
- Browse through our collection of the best luxury hotels in the South of France or the best beach hotels in the South of France.
- Expand your search to include our suggestions in the Cote D'Azur, Saint Tropez, Cannes, or Nice.
- Or refine your search to our recommendations for 15 of the best beach hotels on the Côte d'Azur or the best hotels in the Côte d'Azur hills.
- Alternatively, you can contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Villa du Roc Fleuri 06400 Cannes 5 rooms from €99Local exploring - A lovely hilltop location overlooking the town, very close to the central buzz and to beachesGreat walks - Head to La Croisette palm-lined promenade for a lovely stroll amid the glitz and glamour followed by a dip at the beachBack to NatureHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Recommended by - Sawdays
A hilltop B&B surrounded by a leafy garden, with a pretty terrace and verandah area. Interiors are chic with contemporary design pieces, fun mismatched retro furniture. Rooms are attractive and homely with jute rugs, plenty of light and fine wood furniture. A charming home-away-from-home. See More
La Bergerie Sainte Antoine Grasse (Cote d'Azur) 2 rooms from €99Value chic - With rooms at €99 per night including breakfast, it's hard to beat for value in this region.Local exploring - Well located for exploring both inland villages and enjoying time on the beach.Sights nearby - The bergerie is only 6 miles from Grasse and 15 miles from Cannes.Local markets - Visit the markets in the surrounding hill top villages and towns.
Les Chambres de mon Moulin Cote d'Azur 5 rooms from €100Romantic Break - An idyllic little riverside villa with a romantic leafy garden within easy distance of top Riviera spots, ideal for couplesGreat walks - With the gorgeous Alpes-Maritimes mountains nearby there are some superb hiking trails to exploreLocal markets - Wander around the host of local markets in the villages and towns in the nearby regionSwimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor poolRecommended by - Chambres d’hôtes de Charme CHC
A charming riverside B&B with a romantic leafy garden, relaxing pool and riverside terrace. Inside, expect an eclectic array of artworks, quirky furniture and bright furnishings in the jolly lounge area, while rooms exude a rustic charm with simple, pretty bedsteads and brickwork. An idyllic gem! See More
La Bergerie Cote d'Azur Saint Paul de Vence (Résidence La Bergerie) 4 rooms from €115Back to Nature - On a prime hillside location between sea and mountains, a lovely serene base from which to explore the popular Riviera hauntsSights nearby - Celebrated towns such as Cannes and Nice are within easy distance, with famous sights and museums galoreLocal markets - Wander around local markets in the nearby villages and towns and gather ingredients for beach picnicsGreat walks - Explore the host of picturesque walking trails in the nearby regionRecommended by - Chambres d’hôtes de Charme CHC
Maison du Prince Grimaud 5 rooms from €132Local exploring - An ideal starting point to explore the Saint-Tropez area by foot or car.Beach Life - Located within easy reach of the Riviera.Local markets - A lively food market is held every Thursday in Grimaud.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Sawdays
A beautifully converted 17th-century house in the heart of Grimaud boasting fabulous views over the Gulf of Saint-Tropez. Light rooms feature a choice selection of contemporary art and antiques. Set inside a quiet village this is an ideal choice for those looking for a little peace and quiet. See More
Les Remparts Beaumes-de-Venise, Provence 5 rooms from €190Romantic Break - An understated elegant retreat, couples will delight in the courtyard plunge pool, the Ayurvedic massages and fine local wines.Sights nearby - Twelve miles away, see the dazzling stalagtites and stalagmites in Thouzon's cave.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorFull of characterRecommended by - I Escape
A charming stay in old fortifications of Beaumes de Venise. The rooms are enriched by their historical authenticity with exposed stone walls and simple, elegant furnishings. It's ideal for a relaxing weekend away with beautiful views of rural Provence and a swimming pool in a secluded courtyard. See More
Histoires de Bastide Tourrettes-sur-Loup, Cote d'Azur 7 rooms from €140Romantic BreakSwimming Pool - Large Outdoor PoolSpaLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Les Suites Massena Nice 3 rooms from €181Local exploring - Ideally located at the start of Nice's old town - explore the cobbled streets lined with boutique shops and restaurantsFamilies - This small family-run property caters for families with rollout beds available for children and large roomsShort fly break - Nice Côte d'Azur Airport is less than 4 miles away - perfect for a quick escapeSights nearby - Located a short walk from the city's main attractions including Massena Square, Allianz Riviera Stadium and MAMAC
A plush and modern hotel featuring large soundproof suites offering guests both calm and comfort in the heart of Nice. Rooms have a Scandi-chic style with natural materials set against soft grey hues and the best have free-standing baths. A delicious continental breakfast is served. Superb! See More
L'Escale du Ciel Le Bar Sur Loup 4 rooms from €183Local exploring - Well placed to explore Provencal with the beach and quaint villages being as easy to reach as secluded countryside.Great walks - Take walks along the stunning Gorges du Loup and stop for wild swims in natural pools and waterfalls.Sights nearby - Discover Matisse's favourite walled medieval town, St Paul de Vence.Restrictions on children - Over 12s are welcomeRecommended by - I Escape, Chambres d’hôtes de Charme CHC
A luxury B&B boasting a fabulous location boasting epic mountainous Provençal panoramas. Housing just four immaculately styled rooms which mix modern comforts with traditional charm. With a large swimming pool, a terrace to play Petanque and stunning walks this is a Provençal dream. See More
Les Rosées Mougins (Cote d'Azur) 5 rooms from €220Foodies - Michelin two-star Le Moulin de Mougins a short walk away.Swimming Pool - Small Plunge PoolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Gorgeous French guest house in the hills above Cannes. Honeysuckle terraces, aqua marine pool, and rambling gardens. Elegant rooms in neutral tones and lots of natural light. Fantastic home-cooked food and Michelin star restaurants a short walk away. A romantic retreat away from the crowds. See More
Le Mas du Chanoine Saint Paul de Vence (06570 Saint-Paul-de-Vence) 3 rooms from €240Romantic Break - Set among idyllic gardens with marvellous poolside views and elegant rooms, ideal for a couple's retreatSights nearby - The village is great for art lovers and has many galleries, artists' studios and the famous contemporary art Maeght FoundationRestrictions on children - Children 6 and older are allowedSwimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor poolRecommended by - Sawdays
A lovely B&B in a 17th-century villa, with gorgeous gardens and a pool with fabulous vistas. Rooms are spacious and decorated in warm Mediterranean tones, with rustic touches like fireplaces and wooden beams. Expect generous breakfasts, and don't miss playing a game on the floodlit boules court. See More
L'Observance Avignon 6 rooms from €95Great walks - Wander around this beautiful historic city taking in its atmosphereSights nearby - Be sure to visit the Papal Palace and the famous Pont d'AvignonSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRecommended by - Sawdays
Domaine de Rhodes 84000 Avignon 5 rooms from €95Sights nearby - Saint Rémy and Baux de Provence are a half an hour drive away.Local markets - Visit Uzes and its Provençal marketFull of characterSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Maison Velvet Avignon 3 rooms from €120Local exploring - Perfectly placed for exploring historic Avignon.Restrictions on children - Over 12sFull of characterTraditional
Small intimate B&B in the centre of Avignon, just 10 minutes walk from the main sights. The three bedrooms are spacious with original painted floors, Perisan rugs, and one-off pieces of furniture. There's even a pretty terrace for sitting out. A charming spot for exploring this historic town. See More
No 15 Avignon 5 rooms from €120Romantic Break - Charming rustic-chic bedrooms, pretty garden with pool, river boat trips and wine tasting in this lovely cityLocal markets - Isle sur la Sorgue, about thirty minutes drive from Avignon, remains the top attraction for lovers of flea marketsGreat walks - Avignon, a UNESCO World Heritage Site whose historic centre can be easily explored on footSights nearby - Orange and its Roman ampitheatre, one of the best preserved in the world
La Bergerie de Feline Truinas, Provence 5 rooms from €140Hideaway - Surrounded by lavender bushes overlooking the countryside, enjoy cycle trips, picnics and relaxed breakfastsSights nearby - Châteaux of the Drôme RegionLocal markets - The food markets are 9km awayGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
A chic B&B in the countryside. Contemporary rooms decorated in muted colours with rustic touches of exposed bricks and beams, and modern bathrooms. Outdoor pool, hot tub and lavender filled garden. Delicious tablet d'hote style dinners. Idyllic, laid back, family-friendly and great value. See More
Le Clos Saint Saourde Beaumes de Venise, Provence 5 rooms from €166Honeymoons - Lots of privacy and gorgeous rooms built into the cliff face.Great walks - Walk the Dentelles de Montmirail, a small range of mountains which sit between Beaumes de Venise to the southLocal markets - L’Isle-sur-La-Sorgue is home to one of Europe’s biggest antiques markets. It takes place every SundaySights nearby - Orange, an old Roman townRecommended by - I Escape, Sawdays, Fodors
A striking hotel built into the rock face and surrounded by vineyards. Rustic chic rooms and cottages have wrought iron four poster beds, day beds, large bathrooms, and sofas. An outdoor pool, terraces, and gardens. Extremely romantic, laid back, and boutique. Perfect for a honeymoon. See More
Le Clos de L'ours Cotignac, Provence 7 rooms from €150Country Escape - A romantic country escape offering wine tastings, outdoor pool and lovely walking through the on site vineyards.Sights nearby - Visit Thoronet Abbey, just nine miles away.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorFull of character
Beautiful hotel set amongst the sprawling vineyard of Le Clos de L'ours. With stunning expansive vistas and comfortable, contemporary rooms, it's a fantastic place to relax for a weekend in Provence. Take a tour of the family organic vineyard and then sample the products in the evening by the pool. See More
Maison Valvert Bonnieux 5 rooms from €170Country Escape - A beautiful and secluded country house, complete with swimming pool, offering direct access to gorgeous Provencial countrysideRomantic Break - The Treehouse room offers privacy to couples on a romantic breakGreat walks - Take long walks through picturesque vineyards and countryside starting straight from the hotel's front doorSights nearby - The renowned and historical villages of villages as Lourmarin, Gordes and Ménerbes are a short drive away
A chic country house B&B set in a beautiful and secluded spot dotted with cherry and olive trees. Four lovingly restored rooms are the epitome of rural chic with exposed stone, crisp white linen and doors opening onto the garden. The treehouse room is ideal for couples on a romantic break. Superb! See More
Domaine les Roullets Oppède, Provence 6 rooms from €224Outstanding location - A spectacular setting with sweeping views of the valley and vineyards.Views - Great views from hotelSights nearby - Visit the neighbouring historic town and villages or take a trip to the coastRestrictions on children - No children under 16Recommended by - I Escape, Mr & Mrs Smith
Pure relaxation and privacy await in this romantic and secret spot. Couples and small groups only (no children or pets) are given first class service and boutique B&B accommodation in a glorious setting beneath the foothills of the Luberon mountains. Fabulous swimming pool. Very romantic. See More