The 20 Best B&Bs in the South of France
When searching in the South of France for something quintessentially French, low-key, or even a bit off the beaten track, then choosing a B&B is often your best bet. With a great range of options to choose from to suit any holiday, our hotel experts have handpicked a collection of the best B&Bs in the South of France ranging from classic rural Provençal homes perfect for a summer break with family and friends to chic little hideaways in Avignon ideal for that cultural escape.
For a luxury stay
- L'Escale du Ciel is a luxury property that offers achingly beautiful mountainous Provençal panoramas. There are four beautifully styled rooms, plus a large swimming pool, a terrace to play Petanque and stunning walks nearby. This is a Provençal dream.
For a rural break
- With just two rooms La Bergerie Sainte Antoine is an intimate rural stay. Set in a tranquil hillside location just outside Grasse and boasting a lovely pool and terrace. This is an ideal choice for a peaceful retreat away from the coast and superb value for money.
- Les Chambres de mon Moulin is a gorgeous elegant riverside property. With a romantic leafy garden, relaxing pool and riverside terrace - this is a place to come and unwind. For the active, however, there is hiking in the nearby Alpes-Maritimes and there are beaches nearby too.
- La Bergerie Cote D'Azur has a lovely hillside location boasting spectacular views, just outside St Paul de Vence. Set in charming gardens and offering a lovely pool. With easy access to both Cannes and Nice, this is a great rural base to explore the area from.
- The Gorgeous French guest house, Les Rosees, is set in the hills above Cannes. Expect honeysuckle terraces, an aquamarine pool, and rambling gardens. Offering fantastic home-cooked breakfasts and there's a Michelin star restaurant just a short walk away!
- Le Mas du Chanoine is a quintessential French country villa. This lovely B&B is set in a 17th-century property, and boasts spacious rooms with plenty of orginal features to complement their contemporary feel, plus gorgeous gardens and a pool with fabulous vistas. Expect generous breakfasts, and don't miss playing a game on the floodlit boules court.
- Set in wooded farmland on a lush island in the Rhone, Domaine de Rhodes is a pastoral retreat only ten minutes from the sights of Avignon. Grand bedrooms offer a charming period style, its peaceful gardens, shaded by tall plane trees, are perfect for lazy afternoons, and there's a pool.
For a vineyard
- A beautiful property set amongst the sprawling vineyard of Le Clos de L'ours. With stunning expansive vistas and comfortable, contemporary rooms, it's a fantastic place to relax for a weekend in Provence.
For a traditional village location
- The beautifully converted Maison du Prince is a 17th-century house set in the heart of Grimaud boasting fabulous views over the Gulf of Saint-Tropez. Light rooms feature a choice selection of contemporary art and antiques. An ideal choice for those looking for a little peace and quiet.
For a romantic break
- Histoires de Bastide is surrounded by beautiful gardens within the serenity of Provence's hills. Contemporary elegant rooms feature private terraces overlooking olive trees. With a spa, swimming pool, and access to gourmet restaurants, this is a perfect choice for a romantic escape.
- Le Clos Saint Saourde is a striking property built into the rock face and surrounded by vineyards. Rustic chic rooms and cottages have wrought iron four poster beds, day beds, and large bathrooms. Extremely romantic, laid back, and boutique. Perfect for a honeymoon.
- Maison Valvert is a chic country house B&B set in a beautiful and secluded spot dotted with cherry and olive trees, not far from Bonnieux. Four lovingly restored rooms are the epitome of rural chic. The treehouse room is ideal for couples on a romantic break.
- Expect pure relaxation and privacy at the romantic and secluded Domaine les Roullets. Couples and small groups only (no children) are given first class service and boutique B&B accommodation in a glorious setting beneath the foothills of the Luberon mountains. Very romantic.
- La Bergerie de Feline is a chic rural B&B in Provence. A large garden features an outdoor pool, hot tub and plenty of lavender! An idyllic and laid back stay with a family-friendly vibe, offered at great value.
- For a charming B&B located in the heart of Avignon it doesn't get much better than L'Observance. Boasting four lovely rooms as well as a two bedroom apartment which features a private entrance and a kitchenette. The pretty pool is a real bonus after a day spent exploring!
- Maison Velvet is a small intimate B&B in the centre of Avignon, just 10 minutes walk from the main sights. The three bedrooms are spacious with original painted floors and Perisan rugs. A charming spot.
- No 15 offers rustic chic bedrooms in the heart of Avignon. A charming garden features an outdoor pool and sun terrace. A tranquil base to explore this historic town from.
- Les Suites Massena is a perfect choice for those wanting a spacious and contemporary stay in the heart of the city. Interiors have a cool Scandi-chic style and the best have free standing baths.
- The charming hilltop Villa du Roc Fleuri is set in a pretty garden and offers a lovely terrace and verandah. Bright rooms have a rustic chic feel. Pick this property for a quiet location with easy access to the beaches and city centre.
Still not sure which to book?
- Browse through our collection of the best luxury hotels in the South of France or the best beach hotels in the South of France.
- Expand your search to include our suggestions in the Cote D'Azur, Saint Tropez, Cannes, or Nice.
- Or refine your search to our recommendations for 15 of the best beach hotels on the Côte d'Azur or the best hotels in the Côte d'Azur hills.
- Alternatively, you can contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Villa du Roc Fleuri 06400 Cannes 5 rooms from $110Local exploring - A lovely hilltop location overlooking the town, very close to the central buzz and to beachesGreat walks - Head to La Croisette palm-lined promenade for a lovely stroll amid the glitz and glamour followed by a dip at the beachFull of characterLively area - In the thick of the action.Recommended by - Sawdays
A hilltop B&B surrounded by a leafy garden, with a pretty terrace and verandah area. Interiors are chic with contemporary design pieces, fun mismatched retro furniture. Rooms are attractive and homely with jute rugs, plenty of light and fine wood furniture. A charming home-away-from-home. See More
La Bergerie Saint Antoine Grasse (Cote d'Azur) 2 rooms from $110Value chic - With rooms at €99 per night including breakfast, it's hard to beat for value in this region.Local exploring - Well located for exploring both inland villages and enjoying time on the beach.Sights nearby - The bergerie is only 6 miles from Grasse and 15 miles from Cannes.Local markets - Visit the markets in the surrounding hill top villages and towns.
Les Chambres de mon Moulin Côte d'Azur 5 rooms from $111Romantic Break - An idyllic little riverside villa with a romantic leafy garden within easy distance of top Riviera spots, ideal for couplesGreat walks - With the gorgeous Alpes-Maritimes mountains nearby there are some superb hiking trails to exploreLocal markets - Wander around the host of local markets in the villages and towns in the nearby regionSwimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor poolRecommended by - Chambres d’hôtes de Charme CHC
A charming riverside B&B with a romantic leafy garden, relaxing pool and riverside terrace. Inside, expect an eclectic array of artworks, quirky furniture and bright furnishings in the jolly lounge area, while rooms exude a rustic charm with simple, pretty bedsteads and brickwork. An idyllic gem! See More
La Bergerie Cote d'Azur Saint-Paul-de-Vence (Résidence La Bergerie) 4 rooms from $128Back to Nature - On a prime hillside location between sea and mountains, a lovely serene base from which to explore the popular Riviera hauntsSights nearby - Celebrated towns such as Cannes and Nice are within easy distance, with famous sights and museums galoreLocal markets - Wander around local markets in the nearby villages and towns and gather ingredients for beach picnicsGreat walks - Explore the host of picturesque walking trails in the nearby regionRecommended by - Chambres d’hôtes de Charme CHC
Maison du Prince Grimaud 5 rooms from $147Local exploring - An ideal starting point to explore the Saint-Tropez area by foot or car.Beach Life - Located within easy reach of the Riviera.Local markets - A lively food market is held every Thursday in Grimaud.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Sawdays
A beautifully converted 17th-century house in the heart of Grimaud boasting fabulous views over the Gulf of Saint-Tropez. Light rooms feature a choice selection of contemporary art and antiques. Set inside a quiet village this is an ideal choice for those looking for a little peace and quiet. See More
Histoires de Bastide Tourrettes-sur-Loup, Côte d'Azur 7 rooms from $156Romantic BreakSwimming Pool - Large Outdoor PoolSpaLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Les Suites Massena Nice 3 rooms from $201Local exploring - Ideally located at the start of Nice's old town - explore the cobbled streets lined with boutique shops and restaurantsFamilies - This small family-run property caters for families with rollout beds available for children and large roomsShort break - Nice Côte d'Azur Airport is less than 4 miles away - perfect for a quick escapeSights nearby - Located a short walk from the city's main attractions including Massena Square, Allianz Riviera Stadium and MAMAC
A plush and modern hotel featuring large soundproof suites offering guests both calm and comfort in the heart of Nice. Rooms have a Scandi-chic style with natural materials set against soft grey hues and the best have free-standing baths. A delicious continental breakfast is served. Superb! See More
L'Escale du Ciel Le Bar-sur-Loup 4 rooms from $204Local exploring - Well placed to explore Provencal with the beach and quaint villages being as easy to reach as secluded countryside.Great walks - Take walks along the stunning Gorges du Loup and stop for wild swims in natural pools and waterfalls.Sights nearby - Discover Matisse's favourite walled medieval town, St Paul de Vence.Restrictions on children - Over 12s are welcomeRecommended by - I Escape, Chambres d’hôtes de Charme CHC
A luxury B&B boasting a fabulous location boasting epic mountainous Provençal panoramas. Housing just four immaculately styled rooms which mix modern comforts with traditional charm. With a large swimming pool, a terrace to play Petanque and stunning walks this is a Provençal dream. See More
Les Rosées Mougins (Cote d'Azur) 5 rooms from $245Foodies - Michelin two-star Le Moulin de Mougins a short walk away.Swimming Pool - Small Plunge PoolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Gorgeous French guest house in the hills above Cannes. Honeysuckle terraces, aqua marine pool, and rambling gardens. Elegant rooms in neutral tones and lots of natural light. Fantastic home-cooked food and Michelin star restaurants a short walk away. A romantic retreat away from the crowds. See More
Le Mas du Chanoine 06570 Saint-Paul-de-Vence 3 rooms from $267Romantic Break - Set among idyllic gardens with marvellous poolside views and elegant rooms, ideal for a couple's retreatSights nearby - The village is great for art lovers and has many galleries, artists' studios and the famous contemporary art Maeght FoundationRestrictions on children - Children 6 and older are allowedSwimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor poolRecommended by - Sawdays
A lovely B&B in a 17th-century villa, with gorgeous gardens and a pool with fabulous vistas. Rooms are spacious and decorated in warm Mediterranean tones, with rustic touches like fireplaces and wooden beams. Expect generous breakfasts, and don't miss playing a game on the floodlit boules court. See More
L'Observance Avignon 6 rooms from $111Local exploring - Located within the city’s old walls, this property is perfectly placed for exploring historic Avignon by footFamilies - The two bedroom apartment, complete with a kitchen, is an easy base for familiesLess £ - Despite the excellent location, rooms start at 100 Euros. A well-priced optionGreat walks - Wander around this beautiful historic city taking in its atmosphereRecommended by - Sawdays
Domaine de Rhodes 84000 Avignon 8 rooms from $130Local exploring - Despite the remote feeling, the property is actually only three miles from Avignon meaning guests have the best of both worldsFamilies - The self-catering family apartment sleeps up to four — perfect for those looking for an independent stayHotel Entertainment - In the gardens are ping-pong tables, a badminton court and pétanqueHistoric - An ancient 16th-century hunting lodge with a real sense of place
Maison Velvet Avignon 3 rooms from $145Local exploring - Set inside the ramparts of Avignon, the hotel is within walking distance of Avignon's main attractions of the cityGroups - With just three rooms, this is a good option to rent out in its entirety with friends or familyShort break - With everything a stroll away, this is a good choice for those on a quick cultural getawayTraditional - Elegant rooms feature large sash windows, traditional fabrics, Turkish rugs, and antiques
A small intimate B&B in the centre of Avignon, just 10 minutes walk from the main sights. The three bedrooms are spacious with original painted floors, Perisan rugs, and one-off pieces of furniture. There's even a pretty terrace for sitting out. A charming spot for exploring this historic town. See More
No 15 Avignon 5 rooms from $228Local exploring - Well placed for exploring Avignon, a UNESCO World Heritage Site whose historic centre can be easily explored on footRomantic Break - Charming rustic-chic bedrooms, pretty garden with pool, river boat trips and wine tasting in this lovely cityWine tasting - Avignon is the capital of the Côtes du Rhône. Group or private tours are availableBoutique - Chic design mixes fresh contemporary style with the building's original features
Le Clos Saint Saourde Beaumes de Venise, Provence 5 rooms from $240Groups - Ideal for a group, with big shared kitchen areas, indoor and outdoor tables, and rooms built into the rock faceLocal exploring - Surrounded by the vineyards of Beaumes de Venise and with Avignon nearby, there is plenty to do locallyFull of character - With impossibly chic rooms built into the side of a rock — this place is packed full of characterHoneymoons - Lots of privacy and gorgeous rooms built into the cliff face — a romantic choice for a honeymoonRecommended by - I Escape
A striking hotel built into the rock face and surrounded by vineyards. Rustic chic rooms and cottages have wrought iron four-poster beds, day beds, large bathrooms, and sofas. An outdoor pool, terraces, and gardens. Extremely romantic, laid back, and boutique. Perfect for a romantic getaway. See More
Absoluut Valvert Bonnieux 5 rooms from $189Country Escape - A beautiful and secluded country house, complete with swimming pool, offering direct access to gorgeous Provencial countrysideRomantic Break - The Treehouse room offers privacy to couples on a romantic breakGreat walks - Take long walks through picturesque vineyards and countryside starting straight from the hotel's front doorSights nearby - The renowned and historical villages of villages as Lourmarin, Gordes and Ménerbes are a short drive away
A chic country house B&B set in a beautiful and secluded spot dotted with cherry and olive trees. Four lovingly restored rooms are the epitome of rural chic with exposed stone, crisp white linen and doors opening onto the garden. The treehouse room is ideal for couples on a romantic break. Superb! See More
Domaine les Roullets Oppède, Provence 6 rooms from $256Total relaxation - With a secluded setting, luxurious rooms, a gorgeous pool, and an adults-only policy — this is the perfect setting for relaxingBoutique - Chic rooms have stone walls, big beds, leather headboards, and lots of contemporary artOutstanding location - A spectacular setting with sweeping views of the valley and vineyardsCycling - For cycling enthusiasts, Mont Ventoux is close byRecommended by - I Escape, Mr & Mrs Smith
Pure relaxation and privacy await in this romantic and secret spot. Couples and small groups only (no children or pets) are given first class service and boutique B&B accommodation in a glorious setting beneath the foothills of the Luberon mountains. Fabulous swimming pool. Very romantic. See More