20 Best Wine hotels in Tuscany
Tuscany is not only the most famous wine region in Italy but, arguably, the globe. A reputation which is only added to by its romantic landscape of rolling hills and valleys, its abundance of sunshine and its striking, orange coloured soil — all which contribute to the flavour of local wines. Against the spectacular setting of the region's best wine regions, you'll understandably find some of the best wine hotels in Tuscany. Tuscany's signature red grape, Sangiovese, is responsible for the distinctive flavours of Montepulciano and Montalcino wines, while Cabernet Sauvignon is the main grape variety of the so-called ‘Super-Tuscan’ red wines. Chianti aside — see our separate guide to the 12 best wine hotels in Chianti — we’ve found our 10 best wine hotels in Tuscany around Montepulciano, Montalcino, Orcia, Siena, Livorno and Cortona. It’s a cliché but there really is something for everyone in our range of Tuscan wine hotels, whether you want good food, great views, romance, relaxation or just a simple base from which to explore the area.
A Vineyard Estate
- The Castello di Potentino is a classic Tuscan castle; elegant, square, sandy coloured, surrounded by vineyards and olive groves, and with spectacular views into the valley beyond. With its eight rooms and four apartments, all decorated with panache and good period style, plus a canteen-stye breakfast that allows you to eat whenever you’re ready, and regular cooking and wine course, it could go into almost any of our categories. There’s a beautiful pool too, and of course hundreds of wines to choose from, including the award-winning vintages produced onsite.
- Conti di San Bonifacio is a stunning, five room Tuscan farmhouse renovation, set in the hills above its own wine estate. Expect four-poster, muslin-draped beds, marble bathrooms, open fireplaces and romantic terraces. There’s also an infinity pool with incredible views. And of course fantastic food and wine.
For the Album
- A 13th century castle and Montalcino wine estate, the Castello Banfi il Borgo overlooks Sangiovese vineyards between Maremma and Siena, and has, sine the 1980s, been one of the most picture perfect hotels in Tuscany. It has just 14 rooms and suites: all unique and boutique in style, with wonderfully romantic original features, antiques, and bespoke furniture and fabrics. The Castello also has two restaurants and an enoteca — a Tuscan wine shop and tasting room. There’s a heated pool and gorgeous gardens too.
- The Castello di Vicarello is simply one of the best luxury hotels in the Tuscan countryside: a seven room castle-turned-hotel with panoramic views over its own working vineyards. The decor is Italianate opulence: traditional and romantic. There’s a top of the range spa and pool, and a restaurant serving local sourced regional cuisine — some from the Castello’s own sweet-smelling gardens and grounds. The pool has one of the most spectacular views in Tuscany.
For the Views
- Once the home of Tuscan nobility, the Villa Dievole Wine Resort is high enough on its hillside to oversee great swathes of gorgeous Tuscan landscape, including the estate's own vineyards, and those of several other wine estates. But you’re still only 12kms from Siena. The hotel restaurant specialises in Tuscan cuisine, and they run cooking classes in their kitchens during the day. Many of the 27 rooms and suites have private outdoor space.
- Il Borro is a 700 hectare Tuscan estate, once owned by the Medicis, with an elegant villa turned hotel, and adjacent farm buildings turned apartment suites. The magic of Il Borro is the way modern comforts have been wound into the estate’s original, medieval features. All in there are 22 rooms and suites. Plus three restaurants: one a cafe, one gourmet and one traditionally Tuscan, a billiards room, a pool and sauna, and incredible views.
- Converted from a stunning, 17th century manor house, Il Falconiere is perfectly positioned to overlook the Valdichiana, with stunning views from its Michelin starred restaurant — where you can also take cooking classes and wine tastings. Even the spa has a wine theme, with wine therapy treatments involving the grapes and leaves of the vines, and the wine itself. There’s an inviting pool as well. Il Falconiere has 22 rather grand and spacious rooms and suites.
For Wine Tastings
- Positioned at the top of a hill, surrounded by its own vineyards and parklands, the Relais Borgo San Felice is a stunning country house hotel in the Tuscan style meaning fewer scones and frequent wine-tastings. Inside are 33 rooms and suites, sumptuously decorated, with large windows, lots of space and vast bath tubs. The restaurant specialises in Mediterranean food. Perfect for relaxation, because there’s so much to do onsite, and those numerous wine tastings in the comfort of your own hotel.
- Built in the 18th century, the Relais Vignale is a comfortable country manor turned charming hotel in Radda in Chianti. During the conversion the building was sympathetically restored, and all its terracotta floors, exposed beams, wooden shutters and painted ceilings have ben beautifully preserved. The Tuscan restaurant is on a terrace, overlooking vine rows and olive groves. There’s also comfortable lounges and an outdoor pool in the mature gardens. They do some great wine tasting events in house.
For a Rural Escape
- Poggio Piglia, near Chiusi, looks like a typical Tuscan farmhouse from the outside — and it does produce its own wine and olive oil — but step inside to unexpected sophistication: smooth wooden floors, huge windows, funky lights and modern art installations. The food is excellent, served in a conservatory restaurant, and the best of its nine rooms and suites have private hot tubs and four poster beds.
- The Hotel Le Fontanelle is a five star hotel converted from a brick Tuscan villa and hamlet, surrounded by olive groves, lemon trees and vineyards. Its 25 rooms and suites are cosily decorated, most have terracotta floors and beamed ceilings, and our favourites have private balconies as well as incredible views. The restaurant has an excellent reputation, and a menu featuring local specialities and Italian classics. Plus there’s a pool and gym, and plenty of wine tasting opportunities.
- The Castello di Gabbiano is a charming, 12th century castle, complete with towers and turrets, set amongst olive groves and grape vines. Within are 20 Renaissance style rooms and suites, with terracotta tiled floors, beamed ceilings, large, shuttered windows and antiques. There’s a pool and hot tub with a view, and a charming restaurant serving regional cuisine using local produce.
- The Villa Mangiacane is a five star villa hotel in San Casciano in val di Pesa, just outside Florence. Inside its traditional, rosy exterior are 27 rooms and suites, romantically decorated with a collection of antiques, four-poster beds, fireplaces, mezzanine levels, huge bath tubs and a butler service. There’s an elegant restaurant, but they also offer in-room dining. The views are quite something, as is the wine list.
- Marignolle Relais & Charme is a charmingly converted Tuscan villa, with ten rooms and expansive gardens. The decor is comfortable and cosy, with a floral, country feel that goes well with the terracotta floors and other original features. Breakfast is served on the verandah, and while there’s not a formal restaurant, they can arrange light meals, and they often have local chefs in to give cooking classes to guests. Children are welcome, and will love the pool — which is a good distance from the villa — and the gardens. Generously sized family suites and a babysitting service make this a great pick for families.
- The Villa Il Poggiale is a sun-kissed, 16th century Tuscan villa with towers, pillars, fragrant gardens, and an incredible view. There are just 24 rooms and suites, all individually, and charmingly, decorated with paintings, frescoes, antiques and stand-out linens. The restaurant specialises in regional cuisine, and of course serves an impressive list of regional wines. There’s also a pool, gym, spa, complimentary bike hire, and babysitting available. And it’s close to San Casciano in val di Pesa.
- La Locanda is a characterful little hilltop hotel, with magnificent views over the surrounding hills, valleys, vineyards, woods and olive groves. Its seven bedrooms are rustically traditional, with terracotta floors, exposed beams and arching ceilings, but they’re also super comfortable — and they all have private terraces. There’s a charming lounge and library, a bar, and a shaded terrace by the pool for afternoon relaxation, after you come back from a busy morning tasting the wines of Chianti. Bliss!
For Great Value
- Close to Chiusi, but surrounded by vineyards, Il Patriarca is an elegant, 22 room hotel offering some of the best value accommodation in Tuscany The views from the rooms, which have huge windows, are fantastic; the decor is a wonderfully romantic collection of antiques; the restaurant has a Michelin star, and an impressive wine cellar with its own relaxed bistro, and outside are stunning gardens.
- The Agriturismo Vignamaggio is an historic Tuscan hotel on a working farm. Its 25 rooms and apartments are spread amongst villas and outbuildings, and feature traditional terracotta floors, exposed beams, antique furniture, and plenty of white and pastel paint. There are also two pools, plus a spa and gym, a games room and a children’s play area. In some of the accommodation you can self-cater, but there’s also a restaurant serving superb Tuscan cuisine — with an outstanding wine list.
- The Castelleto di Montebenichi is a nine room castle hideaway in the hills of Chianti. This wonderfully historic, 12th century building now houses rooms and apartments, all filled with antiques and original features, plus contemporary comforts. The grounds around the Castelleto are huge, with a pool, terraces, fruit trees, and spectacular views. It’s self-catering, but there are plenty of opportunities to visit local farms and markets, and plenty of local restaurants and wineries.
Still not sure where to book?
- You could browse all our recommended hotels in Tuscany
- Or dip into our list of recommendations for the 10 best Tuscan hotels for food and wine
- Or refine by location, and consider just the best hotels in rural Tuscany or the best hotels in Tuscan towns
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Castello Banfi il Borgo Tuscany 14 rooms from €420Foodies - Fantastic traditional Tuscan dishes and an Enoteca stocking wine from the 7000 acre wine estate.Good wine list - The castle has its own vineyard which produces award-winning wines.Romantic - Utterly romantic in location, decoration, and ambience.Views - Panoramic views of the hotel's vineyards around.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection
An award-winning Tuscan boutique hotel with serious joie de vivre. A stunning 13th-century castle and wine estate with traditional romantic interiors, gourmet Tuscan cuisine, an enoteca, and heated pool. Luxurious rooms and suites have arched ceilings, four poster beds, and stunning views. See More
Poggio Piglia Chiusi Siena, Tuscany 9 rooms from €190Romantic BreakDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Views - Great views from hotelFour poster beds - For romantics.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Castello di Potentino Seggiano, Tuscany 11 rooms from €180Total relaxation - The perfect retreat to refresh and recharge, yoga in the mornings, cooking in the afternoon and wine in the evenings.Great walks - Wander around working organic farm, filled with vineyards and olive groves.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby medieval towns of Pitigliano, Sorano and SienaSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool set amid olive trees above the castle
Winning charm in a classic Tuscan castle setting. Friendly owners create a wonderfully relaxing atmosphere like visiting an old friend. Eight rooms and four apartments are filled with period furnishings, paintings and vintage bath tubs. Come here for haunting beauty and rustic charm. See More
Castello di Vicarello Tuscany 7 rooms from €890Views - Stunning valley views of the vineyards beyond.Romantic - Rural romance and glorious countryside.Spa breaksLuxuryRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
A highly luxurious boutique hotel perched on a hilltop with panoramic views over its own vineyards. Romantic rooms and suites have traditional decoration and Italianate opulence. A top of the range spa, fabulous regional cuisine fresh from the garden, and a pool. Glorious, rural, romantic. See More
Il Falconiere Cortona, Tuscany 22 rooms from €436Foodies - Enjoy one of the 'Cooking under the Tuscan Sun' gourmet cooking courses.Sights nearby - Take a picnic to Lake Trasimeno and spend a summers day in the water.Cooking classes - On site cookery school, led by Chef and owner Silvia Baracchi.Restaurant - Restaurant holds one Michelin Star.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Relais & Chateaux
Romantic setting for food lovers. Dine at a Micehlin-starred restaurant in a stunning 17th Century Tuscan manor. Beautiful, spacious rooms are a perfect blend of homely meets luxury. Relax by the pool or at the spa. Dining is top class plus you can take part in cooking classes and wine tasting. See More
Conti di San Bonifacio Gavorrano Grosseto, Tuscany 5 rooms from €370LuxuryRomantic BreakHoneymoonsSights nearby - Explore the mediaeval hilltop villages of the Maremma regionRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Stunning Tuscan farmhouse renovation set in hills overlooking its wine estate. Superbly luxurious rooms and suites with four poster beds, fur throws, marble bathrooms, fireplaces and terraces. Fantastic food, infinity pool, wine tasting and endless views. Utterly romantic. See More
Il Patriarca Chiusi Siena, Tuscany 22 rooms from €125Views - Stunning views over the vineyards.Foodies - Michelin star Tuscan cuisine.Romantic - Good for couples.Local markets - Good for local colour.
Agriturismo Vignamaggio Florence, Tuscany 25 rooms from €110Country Escape - Villas are surrounded by vineyards, and plenty of walking and tasting can be done! Atmospheric and very peaceful hotelSwimming Pool - There is an outdoor pool for the hotel and a separate one for Il Prato villasCooking classes - Can be organised according to your groupGreat walks - Tours of the historic hotel gardens
Historic Tuscan hotel on working farm. Rooms and apartments are spread across the villas, with exposed beams, terracotta floors and antique furniture. Outdoor pools, spa, gym, games room and children's play area. Superb Tuscan cuisine and outstanding wine list. Peaceful, pretty and authentic. See More
Castelletto di Montebenichi Monte Benichi, Tuscany 9 rooms from €135Foodies - Plenty of opportunities for foodies from visits to vineyards and olive oil farms to cheese and truffle tastingLocal exploring - The property provides the ideal base for exploring the glorious Chianti countrysdeGreat walks - Take long walks through the large private park near the castle that merges in with the gently sloping Tuscan hillsLocal markets - Visit the antiques fair in Arezzo (the largest in Italy)
Villa Il Poggiale San Casciano in Val di Pesa (Tuscany) 24 rooms from €153Great walks - Spend some time walking through the enchanting Tuscan countryside, explore the surrounding meadows, hills and vineyards.Cooking classes - Cooking classes can be arranged from the on-site chefs, learn to whip up your favourite dishes from the menu.Swimming Pool - Outdoor swimming pool fringed with hydrangea and jasmine.Spa - Tailor made treatments, plus sauna and relaxation areaRecommended by - Fodors, Sawdays
Castello di Gabbiano FI, Tuscany 20 rooms from €160Foodies - With cooking classes, themed dinner nights and a range of wine tasting tours all on offer, this is a foodie paradiseActive Holiday - Good cyclling and hiking in the area including trails passing through the farm's vineyardsHideaway - A 14th century Tuscan-style castle set amidst 100 hectares of olive groves and vineyardsSwimming Pool - Outdoor heated pool in summer
A 12th-century castle set amidst rolling Tuscan hills dotted with vineyards. Offering Renaissance-style bedrooms with antique furnishings and terracotta floors. The outdoor pool and the restaurant serving local cuisine, alongside the tours to local wineries, are a real draw. A charming rural escape. See More
Marignolle Relais & Charme Florence (Tuscany) 10 rooms from €165Local exploring - Surrounded by charming countryside and just 15 minutes from Florence- you get access to the best of both worlds hereWine tasting - Manager and sommelier, Lorenzo, organises and guides wonderful vineyard tours in the local areaGreat walks - Take a post breakfast stroll around the fragrant gardens, or head out to explore the olive groves and rolling Tuscan hillsCooking classes - Paola runs fantastic Tuscan cooking lessons with daughter Silvia, learn to whip up your favourite dishesRecommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
A wonderfully private relaxed Tuscan retreat. Chic rooms, feature fine fabrics and antique furnishings. The outdoor pool and beautiful gardens make this a ideal spot for relaxation. Enjoy an expansive breakfast on the veranda, cooking classes from expert chefs and proximity to local medieval towns. See More
Villa Mangiacane San Casciano in Val di Pesa (San Casciano In Val di Pesa Firenze) 27 rooms from €169Families - Though the decor might suggest otherwise with children's activities and nannying services this is a great option for families.Romantic Break - With in room baths, private dining and many acitivities couples would enjoy this property is perfect for a romantic break.Romantic - Superbly romantic bedrooms, decoration, and location.Views - Stunning valley views.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels
A Five Star luxury villa just outside Florence. Romantic bedrooms and suites, a pampering spa, fantastic food and wine tasting. Guest rooms have four poster beds, fireplaces, mezzanine levels, big bath tubs and a butler service. Stunning views over vineyards below. Ideal for couples or honeymooners. See More
Relais Vignale Radda in Chianti, Tuscany 42 rooms from €178Restaurant - The restaurant specialises in traditional Tuscan cuisineViews - Glorious views over the surrounding areaGreat walks - Walking tours around Radda in ChiantiCooking classes - Tuscan Cooking SchoolRecommended by - Fodors
18th century country house which has been sympathetically restored and now offers traditional rooms and suites with terra-cotta floors and exposed wooden beams. Lovely outdoor pool and terrace restaurant with glorious views of surrounding vineyards and olive trees. Stunning, remote and romantic. See More
Villa Dievole Wine Resort Vagliagli, Tuscany 27 rooms from €199Local exploring - Just 12km from Siena, you're ideally located for exploring some Tuscan gemsCooking classes - Traditional Tuscan cooking with Chef MonicaSights nearby - Charming town of SienaBack to Nature
Once home of Tuscan nobility, this 16th century property offers guests smartly decorated bedrooms and suites, often with private outdoor areas and impressive views of surrounding vineyards. The hotel restaurant serves Tuscan dishes and offers daytime cooking courses. Elegant countryside relaxation. See More
La Locanda Radda In Chianti, Tuscany 7 rooms from €220Views - Wonderful views over VolpaiaTotal relaxationSights nearby - Perfect base for getting to the Chianti Classico areaCooking classes - Excllent cookery school in VolpaiaRecommended by - Sawdays, CN Traveller
Il Borro Arezzo (San Giustino) 22 rooms from €260Historic - The home of various Italian dynasties, including the Medici family, and also at an important geographical juncture in TuscanyGarden - Over 100 acres of vineyards, olive groves and verdant hillsRestaurant - 3 different restaurants for quick lunches, gourmet or traditional cuisineViews - Views of the beautiful Tuscan countryside from all over the estateRecommended by - Tablet, Relais & Chateaux
700 hectares of medieval Tuscan estate rich in history. Whether apartments in the farmhouse or suites in the villa, Il Borro's magic is its ability to transport you back centuries while having all the hallmarks of a luxury hotel, as reflected in authentically rustic rooms and unrivalled amenities. See More
Hotel Le Fontanelle Castelnuovo Berardenga SI, Tuscany 25 rooms from €399Intimate - The hotel is built as a hamlet so that accommodations are homely rather than hotel-like.Outstanding location - Stunning; surrouned by vineyards, rolling hills, and lemon groves.Country Escape5* Luxury - Very high service standards.
Relais Borgo San Felice Castelnuovo Berardenga SI, Tuscany 33 rooms from €560Good wine list - Excellent choice from the hotel's own vintages.Wine tasting - The hotel is surrounded by its own vineyards.Foodies - Fantastic Mediterranean cuisine.Romantic BreakRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Michelin Travel, Tablet
A stunning country house surrounded by its own vines and parkland. A hilltop position with fantastic valley views. Sumptuous elegant rooms and suites with lots of space and big bath tubs. Fantastic Mediterranean restaurant, billiards, tennis, wine tasting, swimming pool, and views for miles. Wow! See More